In August I'll be backpacking in Yosemite starting on the mirror lake to snow creek trail head. I plan to hike from there up to north dome, across upper yosemite falls, all the way to the to of El Capitan and then back down to the valley floor through the yosemite falls trail. How many days should this take? I'll be traveling with two teenagers and another adult, all of whom are tough wilderness lovers, but none with any backpacking experience so we won't be going too fast. Also, and most importantly: I know that from the top of El Cap there is a good distance down a slope before you get to the edge. Is there any chance of getting to the edge and peeking over without any special equipment? That would be the HIGHLIGHT of the whole trip if possible! Thanks for your input and if you have any suggestions on places to stop or any advice that pertains to my trail head I would be very appreciative!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Help needed from USA experts... where to?
- 2 fly fishing spring break - warm weather
- 3 Portsmouth NH to NYC
- 4 Road trip March from Atlanta
- 5 3 weeks in USA in February -- final post before booking hotels
- 6 Tipping advice
- 7 Arthritis and Humidity where to live?
- 8 Orlando to Savannah
- 9 Dinner in Miami
- 10 After Chigago ? side trips- suggestions
- 11 Met Opera rush tickets - process changed again!
- 12 Need help planning weekend trips: Georgia, Chicago, Tennessee, Alaska?!
- 13 New Hawaii countdown for 2014-15
- 14 Any edits? San Antonio & Austin Itinerary Dec 31st-Jan 5th or 6th
- 15 Family Reunion Ideas for Maine Coast
- 16 62 Hikers airlifted out of Kalalau Trail
- 17 Seattle hotel recommendation needed
- 18 Utah-Arizona National Parks intinary help needed
- 19 Lake Rabun Hotel
- 20 NYT article on exploring Los Angeles without a car
- 21 advice on possible employment in GA or NC rural areas
- 22 Zion, Bryce, Page, GC South Rim, and Arches
- 23 Christmas weather?
- 24 Big island itinerary
- 25 New York City and New England