My husband & I are on our way home to Boston from NYC right now, so I might as well use the time to start my trip report. As you may be able to tell from the title, this is not the usual TOTR/Times Sq tour of NY. This is also not a foodie report as we didn't eat at any fancy restaurants, nor is this a shopping report as we're not into shopping.
I arrived in NYC Wednesday late afternoon, and spent Thurs/Fri, and Sat AM mostly by myself. My husband joined me Sat afternoon. We left NYC Sunday late afternoon.
Why NYC, Why mid-March?
This entire trip was planned around an opera performance at the Met, La Sonnambula. I wanted to see my favorite tenor, Juan Diego Florez, sing live, so I picked this past Sat performance which I bought tickets about 4 months ago.
Here's a brief overview of what I/we did, with details to follow.
Rusalka with Renee Fleming
Il Trovatore with Marcelo Alvarez
La Sonnambula with Juan Diego Florez and Natalie Dessay
Walks & Tours
United Nations tour
NY Public Library tour
Central Park walking tour
Grand Central Neighborhood walking tour
Metropolitan Museum of Art
Getting there and back
Thanks to multiple bus companies competing for this route, bus ticket prices are fairly cheap. I bought our tickets 2 months in advance on Megabus. My BOS-NYC ticket for Wed was $1, my DH's BOS-NYC ticket for Sat was $10, and our return ticket for Sun was $11 each. Therefore, the total cost was $$33.50 (50 cents booking fee) for over 400 miles r/t.
The buses are new and fairly comfortable. Most of the riders on weekends are college students, while my Wed trip (only 1/2 full) had a few older people. The bus definitely takes longer than the train, and is less comfortable. But at a fraction of the price vs Amtrak, we don't mind a longer ride. The bus is equipped with wi-fi (which is what I'm using right now to post this TR).
Where we stayed
We always stay with my friends, who live in Midtown East near the Queens Tunnel. While it's not as convenient as most hotels (about a 15-min walk to Grand Central), we can't complain since it's free!
yk's NYC Trip Report: 4 days-2 Fodorites, 3 operas, 4 tours, & 4 museums
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 3 weeks in USA in February -- refined itinerary
- 2 Fort Myers Beach vs Naples Beach
- 3 Charleston/Savannah/Asheville, 6 days enough?
- 4 los angeles restaurants
- 5 Boston, NYC or Chicago for 3rd weekend in March?
- 6 Help me plan a trip to Nashville and Memphis.
- 7 Anyone there to help me!
- 8 Tipping advice
- 9 Hawaii or Rio for male single traveler
- 10 Avis Car rental Loss Damage Waiver LDW Fraud
- 11 Calf trip
- 12 Trip to Jupiter, FL
- 13 Seattle hotel recommendation needed
- 14 2 or 3 nights in Hana
- 15 West Maui Restaurants
- 16 Denver Airport to Downtown Sheraton--Transportation Options?
- 17 Napa/Sonoma hotel confusion...please help
- 18 Key West Hotel in January
- 19 Where to add a few days in Colorado?
- 20 New Orleans Trip Report - Dec. 2014
- 21 San Diego Girl's Trip in December
- 22 New Hawaii countdown for 2014-15
- 23 Seattle, Portland, and day trips all around
- 24 4 week family trip ideas
- 25 x mas