My husband & I are on our way home to Boston from NYC right now, so I might as well use the time to start my trip report. As you may be able to tell from the title, this is not the usual TOTR/Times Sq tour of NY. This is also not a foodie report as we didn't eat at any fancy restaurants, nor is this a shopping report as we're not into shopping.
I arrived in NYC Wednesday late afternoon, and spent Thurs/Fri, and Sat AM mostly by myself. My husband joined me Sat afternoon. We left NYC Sunday late afternoon.
Why NYC, Why mid-March?
This entire trip was planned around an opera performance at the Met, La Sonnambula. I wanted to see my favorite tenor, Juan Diego Florez, sing live, so I picked this past Sat performance which I bought tickets about 4 months ago.
Here's a brief overview of what I/we did, with details to follow.
Rusalka with Renee Fleming
Il Trovatore with Marcelo Alvarez
La Sonnambula with Juan Diego Florez and Natalie Dessay
Walks & Tours
United Nations tour
NY Public Library tour
Central Park walking tour
Grand Central Neighborhood walking tour
Metropolitan Museum of Art
Getting there and back
Thanks to multiple bus companies competing for this route, bus ticket prices are fairly cheap. I bought our tickets 2 months in advance on Megabus. My BOS-NYC ticket for Wed was $1, my DH's BOS-NYC ticket for Sat was $10, and our return ticket for Sun was $11 each. Therefore, the total cost was $$33.50 (50 cents booking fee) for over 400 miles r/t.
The buses are new and fairly comfortable. Most of the riders on weekends are college students, while my Wed trip (only 1/2 full) had a few older people. The bus definitely takes longer than the train, and is less comfortable. But at a fraction of the price vs Amtrak, we don't mind a longer ride. The bus is equipped with wi-fi (which is what I'm using right now to post this TR).
Where we stayed
We always stay with my friends, who live in Midtown East near the Queens Tunnel. While it's not as convenient as most hotels (about a 15-min walk to Grand Central), we can't complain since it's free!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Kids Vacation Place
- 2 Help Planning Zion/Bryce Itinerary
- 3 San Francisco through Colorado Rockies
- 4 Last minute Maine/New Hampshire trip
- 5 Another Key West Trip Report, July 3 - 9, 2016
- 6 Boston waterfront Italian
- 7 Napa valley getaway
- 8 Lake Tahoe hotel with a lake view
- 9 Recommendation: Beachfront in VA or MD walking distance to quaint downtown
- 10 Best restaurants?! - first time to NYC!
- 11 Day in Spokane
- 12 Marriott or Sheraton in Orlando?
- 13 CA Fire - need revised itinerary help
- 14 AUGUST---7 day San Fran to San Diego
- 15 Aug. cruise wardrobe
- 16 Desert Southwest
- 17 Transit Advisory - PATH system - Weekends from August 6 to December 19, 2016
- 18 Los Angeles Indefinitely
- 19 Road trip from Gulf Coast to Key West
- 20 Need help with National Parks trip in 2017
- 21 Zion and Bryce in July
- 22 East United State - what do you reccomend ?
- 23 First time, Best business class?
- 24 What to pack
- 25 Trip Report: 2 weeks from SF to Yellowstone and back, June 2016
yk's NYC Trip Report: 4 days-2 Fodorites, 3 operas, 4 tours, & 4 museums