DH & I spent 9 days with DH's family on MDI/Acadia NP earlier this month. Although I have been to MDI twice in the past, I've never spent this amount of time there. This time around, I finally had time to enjoy and explore the island. On this trip, we mostly went hiking, but DH & I also rented bikes and canoes.
Me, DH, DH's sister, DH's parents
Second week of September, 2011
We were invited to DH cousin's wedding on MDI. DH's grandparents had a summer home on the island, so the extended family used to spend summer vacations there. We decided that instead of driving 6+ hours there and back for a short weekend stay to attend the wedding, we should turn this into a family vacation and spend an entire week on MDI.
Where we stayed:
We rented a 3BR home near Somesville towards Echo lake. However, the rental is only available Sat->Sat, and since the wedding is on the first Sat afternoon, we chose to drive up to MDI on Friday and stayed at a motel Friday night. DH's parents & sis-in-law stayed at Kimball Terrace in Northeast Harbor. DH & I stayed at Colonel Suite's just around the corner.
Colonel Suites turned out to be a nice find. http://colonelssuites.com/ It is run by the couple who owns the bakery & restaurant of the same name; and they decided to rent out a couple of suites that are above the restaurant. It reminds me of a gasthaus I've stayed in Germany: there is no front desk or reception. We checked in at the bakery and were given our key. All the info we needed is in the room.
I reserved the smallest room - a junior suite. It turns out to be very spacious, with a sitting area with couch, coffee table; and a small kitchenette (mini-fridge, microwave, coffee maker, sink, utensils, dishes & glasses). The bedroom has a king bed which is very, very comfortable. The bathroom has a full bath. Outside in the common hallway is washer/dryer.
Here's photo of our room:
Breakfast in the restaurant is included in our room rate. It's a generous fare. I chose blueberry pancakes with sausage patties, OJ, coffee (all included).
yk's 9-day family vacation on Mount Desert Island/Acadia NP, Sept 2011
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 California road trip
- 2 Seattle, Portland, and day trips all around
- 3 Atascadero -> Pacific Grove -> San Francisco
- 4 Keystone, CO & area - inside activities?
- 5 San Fran to Las Vegas drive
- 6 Amtrak Train from California to Oregon or Washington
- 7 Hiking Arches or Canyonlands National Park in fall?
- 8 Another Southwest Airlines Early Bird Question
- 9 Road Trip SW
- 10 Kauai -- Music Lovers!!!
- 11 Gulf Shores Restaurants
- 12 Yosemite Fire
- 13 Day trip to CT from NYC
- 14 Los Angeles itinerary for August trip
- 15 Lodging - Yosemite
- 16 3 weeks covering SF, Monterey, Lake Isabella, Las Vegas and LA (Disney)
- 17 Mesa Verde National Park - a Photo Album on Flickr
- 18 A weekend escape around cooperstown ny
- 19 Place to Grab a Bite to Eat near Wilmington train station?
- 20 Relocating Tips - Mild Weather, Good Schools, Low Cost of Living
- 21 An RV trip along the coast
- 22 Yellowstone 3 day itinerary advice
- 23 Trip Report: New York City July 25-27, 2014
- 24 Help w/ River Cruise Company-OH to Mississippi-end@New Orleans-Fall 2014
- 25 Fancy dining