DH & I spent 9 days with DH's family on MDI/Acadia NP earlier this month. Although I have been to MDI twice in the past, I've never spent this amount of time there. This time around, I finally had time to enjoy and explore the island. On this trip, we mostly went hiking, but DH & I also rented bikes and canoes.
Me, DH, DH's sister, DH's parents
Second week of September, 2011
We were invited to DH cousin's wedding on MDI. DH's grandparents had a summer home on the island, so the extended family used to spend summer vacations there. We decided that instead of driving 6+ hours there and back for a short weekend stay to attend the wedding, we should turn this into a family vacation and spend an entire week on MDI.
Where we stayed:
We rented a 3BR home near Somesville towards Echo lake. However, the rental is only available Sat->Sat, and since the wedding is on the first Sat afternoon, we chose to drive up to MDI on Friday and stayed at a motel Friday night. DH's parents & sis-in-law stayed at Kimball Terrace in Northeast Harbor. DH & I stayed at Colonel Suite's just around the corner.
Colonel Suites turned out to be a nice find. http://colonelssuites.com/ It is run by the couple who owns the bakery & restaurant of the same name; and they decided to rent out a couple of suites that are above the restaurant. It reminds me of a gasthaus I've stayed in Germany: there is no front desk or reception. We checked in at the bakery and were given our key. All the info we needed is in the room.
I reserved the smallest room - a junior suite. It turns out to be very spacious, with a sitting area with couch, coffee table; and a small kitchenette (mini-fridge, microwave, coffee maker, sink, utensils, dishes & glasses). The bedroom has a king bed which is very, very comfortable. The bathroom has a full bath. Outside in the common hallway is washer/dryer.
Here's photo of our room:
Breakfast in the restaurant is included in our room rate. It's a generous fare. I chose blueberry pancakes with sausage patties, OJ, coffee (all included).
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 http://nuvieskincareserum.com/radix-eye-cream/
- 2 다빈치 ◎☆홈 피 = KTX449.컴 ♧
- 3 바다이야기어플 ≪접속주소 :【 ' m k 2 8 9 컴 ' 】
- 4 Eastern Seaboard
- 5 Miami airport--safety??
- 6 Trip Report 2012 : 11 wonderful days in Alaska
- 7 Carlsbad Emergency Locksmith | LockTechs
- 8 Harmony Thai Massage Houston
- 9 Pacific Grove for 5 or 6 nights
- 10 US whole month of January where to
- 11 Santa Fe, New Mexico looking for a house
- 12 New England Fall Foliage - First Timers
- 13 Cape Cod summer vacation
- 14 Bryce, Zion, Arches, Canyonlands in one week? In October?
- 15 HAWAII- best islands at xmas time
- 16 Is Yosemite worth going too in July?
- 17 Kauai-Planning ahead
- 18 Heading to Asheville, NC
- 19 Family trip Las Vegas to Zion, Bryce, Page, GC and Sedona?
- 20 Cleveland West Side Market
- 21 Recent Spam Attacks
- 22 Boston hotel in May - Suburb and using the T-line
- 23 Driving from Glacier National Park to Hood River
- 24 Maui - luau question
- 25 Looking for advice on my hitchhike trip plan
yk's 9-day family vacation on Mount Desert Island/Acadia NP, Sept 2011