DH & I spent 9 days with DH's family on MDI/Acadia NP earlier this month. Although I have been to MDI twice in the past, I've never spent this amount of time there. This time around, I finally had time to enjoy and explore the island. On this trip, we mostly went hiking, but DH & I also rented bikes and canoes.
Me, DH, DH's sister, DH's parents
Second week of September, 2011
We were invited to DH cousin's wedding on MDI. DH's grandparents had a summer home on the island, so the extended family used to spend summer vacations there. We decided that instead of driving 6+ hours there and back for a short weekend stay to attend the wedding, we should turn this into a family vacation and spend an entire week on MDI.
Where we stayed:
We rented a 3BR home near Somesville towards Echo lake. However, the rental is only available Sat->Sat, and since the wedding is on the first Sat afternoon, we chose to drive up to MDI on Friday and stayed at a motel Friday night. DH's parents & sis-in-law stayed at Kimball Terrace in Northeast Harbor. DH & I stayed at Colonel Suite's just around the corner.
Colonel Suites turned out to be a nice find. http://colonelssuites.com/ It is run by the couple who owns the bakery & restaurant of the same name; and they decided to rent out a couple of suites that are above the restaurant. It reminds me of a gasthaus I've stayed in Germany: there is no front desk or reception. We checked in at the bakery and were given our key. All the info we needed is in the room.
I reserved the smallest room - a junior suite. It turns out to be very spacious, with a sitting area with couch, coffee table; and a small kitchenette (mini-fridge, microwave, coffee maker, sink, utensils, dishes & glasses). The bedroom has a king bed which is very, very comfortable. The bathroom has a full bath. Outside in the common hallway is washer/dryer.
Here's photo of our room:
Breakfast in the restaurant is included in our room rate. It's a generous fare. I chose blueberry pancakes with sausage patties, OJ, coffee (all included).
yk's 9-day family vacation on Mount Desert Island/Acadia NP, Sept 2011
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 San Diego/ Baja / Desert / Vegas/ Mexico
- 2 Yellowstone in the winter?
- 3 A trip to the SW: Not rushed, do it all, perfect time of year.
- 4 Gulf coast - Naples, Sanibel Island, Marco Island or Fort Meyers, which one
- 5 New Hawaii countdown for 2014-15
- 6 NYC Department Store Windows for Christmas - Ready, Set, Go
- 7 Side Show is a must-see show on Broadway
- 8 Boston in winter?
- 9 Public transportation in Salem MA
- 10 san fran sightseeing
- 11 Did Interstates ruin travel in America?
- 12 American Honeymoon in March
- 13 Midway to Mag. Mile area -- cab or public transport?
- 14 best places to visit in winter through WV to North Carolina
- 15 Philadelphia accommodation thoughts
- 16 Family Friendly Resort Vacation for Holidays
- 17 Public Transportation to DC and NY from Baltimore Area
- 18 A Week in Naples Florida--Much Ado About Food (and Wine)
- 19 Manhattan Marriott Property December
- 20 Colorado Skiing
- 21 Best Route into NW Washington DC
- 22 Photo trip log from Grand Wailea
- 23 Transportation from Seattle to Vancouver BC
- 24 Chicago in early summer, what to do with our car
- 25 Best route home from page, az to ny?