DH & I spent 9 days with DH's family on MDI/Acadia NP earlier this month. Although I have been to MDI twice in the past, I've never spent this amount of time there. This time around, I finally had time to enjoy and explore the island. On this trip, we mostly went hiking, but DH & I also rented bikes and canoes.
Me, DH, DH's sister, DH's parents
Second week of September, 2011
We were invited to DH cousin's wedding on MDI. DH's grandparents had a summer home on the island, so the extended family used to spend summer vacations there. We decided that instead of driving 6+ hours there and back for a short weekend stay to attend the wedding, we should turn this into a family vacation and spend an entire week on MDI.
Where we stayed:
We rented a 3BR home near Somesville towards Echo lake. However, the rental is only available Sat->Sat, and since the wedding is on the first Sat afternoon, we chose to drive up to MDI on Friday and stayed at a motel Friday night. DH's parents & sis-in-law stayed at Kimball Terrace in Northeast Harbor. DH & I stayed at Colonel Suite's just around the corner.
Colonel Suites turned out to be a nice find. http://colonelssuites.com/ It is run by the couple who owns the bakery & restaurant of the same name; and they decided to rent out a couple of suites that are above the restaurant. It reminds me of a gasthaus I've stayed in Germany: there is no front desk or reception. We checked in at the bakery and were given our key. All the info we needed is in the room.
I reserved the smallest room - a junior suite. It turns out to be very spacious, with a sitting area with couch, coffee table; and a small kitchenette (mini-fridge, microwave, coffee maker, sink, utensils, dishes & glasses). The bedroom has a king bed which is very, very comfortable. The bathroom has a full bath. Outside in the common hallway is washer/dryer.
Here's photo of our room:
Breakfast in the restaurant is included in our room rate. It's a generous fare. I chose blueberry pancakes with sausage patties, OJ, coffee (all included).
yk's 9-day family vacation on Mount Desert Island/Acadia NP, Sept 2011
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 What do you do when your VRBO rental is a nightmare in Lake Geneva?
- 2 Finding flights and hotels globally
- 3 USA and Canada in 2 months
- 4 Is the New York subway safe?
- 5 What is timeshare in spiritual sense.
- 6 Skiing New Mexico
- 7 Sacramento to State College, PA in late November
- 8 What do you think about Asian tourist manner?
- 9 Hotel in Newton outside Boston - need transportation and related advice
- 10 Sampling Ethnic Las Vegas II
- 11 Where to from Tampa?
- 12 Angels Crest and Rim of the World Scenic Drives: Mid-November 2014
- 13 Drive Dallas To New Orleans - Best Food Stops!!
- 14 Need ideas - hGirls' trip to Chicago
- 15 Did Interstates ruin travel in America?
- 16 Chicago O'Hare to Downtown
- 17 Three nights in Chicago -- a report
- 18 Trip Report to Pacific Northwest: August 2014
- 19 I am turning 60 and boy do I need help with my trip!
- 20 Relocation: Where Do We Fit In
- 21 Thinking about moving from PA to Florida (Dr. Phillips area of Orlando)
- 22 Saturday arrival Seattle airport to Lake Crescent
- 23 Grand Canyon , Zion and Bryce Itinerary suggestions
- 24 Drive from Grand Canyon to Prescott next week
- 25 Houston Weekend Planning Help Needed, please