DH & I spent 9 days with DH's family on MDI/Acadia NP earlier this month. Although I have been to MDI twice in the past, I've never spent this amount of time there. This time around, I finally had time to enjoy and explore the island. On this trip, we mostly went hiking, but DH & I also rented bikes and canoes.
Me, DH, DH's sister, DH's parents
Second week of September, 2011
We were invited to DH cousin's wedding on MDI. DH's grandparents had a summer home on the island, so the extended family used to spend summer vacations there. We decided that instead of driving 6+ hours there and back for a short weekend stay to attend the wedding, we should turn this into a family vacation and spend an entire week on MDI.
Where we stayed:
We rented a 3BR home near Somesville towards Echo lake. However, the rental is only available Sat->Sat, and since the wedding is on the first Sat afternoon, we chose to drive up to MDI on Friday and stayed at a motel Friday night. DH's parents & sis-in-law stayed at Kimball Terrace in Northeast Harbor. DH & I stayed at Colonel Suite's just around the corner.
Colonel Suites turned out to be a nice find. http://colonelssuites.com/ It is run by the couple who owns the bakery & restaurant of the same name; and they decided to rent out a couple of suites that are above the restaurant. It reminds me of a gasthaus I've stayed in Germany: there is no front desk or reception. We checked in at the bakery and were given our key. All the info we needed is in the room.
I reserved the smallest room - a junior suite. It turns out to be very spacious, with a sitting area with couch, coffee table; and a small kitchenette (mini-fridge, microwave, coffee maker, sink, utensils, dishes & glasses). The bedroom has a king bed which is very, very comfortable. The bathroom has a full bath. Outside in the common hallway is washer/dryer.
Here's photo of our room:
Breakfast in the restaurant is included in our room rate. It's a generous fare. I chose blueberry pancakes with sausage patties, OJ, coffee (all included).
yk's 9-day family vacation on Mount Desert Island/Acadia NP, Sept 2011
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 san diego or nearby area
- 2 Clearwater FL area
- 3 Caklifornia & Oregon
- 4 What is the weather like in Kona in November?
- 5 Charlotte NC Lodging & Driving Question
- 6 Chattanooga to Washington DC via Blue Ridge Parkway
- 7 Warning: Recent increase in violent crime in New Orleans' French Quarter
- 8 Route 50 between Virginia and Missouri--Scenic?
- 9 Charleston, SC Hotels
- 10 Road trip to the Deep South revisited......itinerary for your perusal
- 11 NY to Asheville then country place to stay
- 12 Rapid City to Yellowstone Route
- 13 Santa Fe Area Hiking Early June - 3 full days.
- 14 Charleston, SC help
- 15 San Francisco to LA or LA to San Francisco ?!?
- 16 Seattle in July: Warwick or Maxwell hotel
- 17 middlebury vt snow
- 18 Ideas for a family on a roadtrip around Denver and Utah
- 19 Miami Marlins
- 20 Best First Thing to Do in Manhattan - & Advice re Itinerary!
- 21 Bar Harbor Maine or Mystic Connecticut in August.
- 22 Help with Moab itinerary for an overacheiver
- 23 Kauai - day trips to North shore and Waimea Canyon/Kokee State Park
- 24 Oakland CA restaurants near Fox Theater ... maybe even a hotel?
- 25 Need help with San Juan Islands lodging