DH & I spent 9 days with DH's family on MDI/Acadia NP earlier this month. Although I have been to MDI twice in the past, I've never spent this amount of time there. This time around, I finally had time to enjoy and explore the island. On this trip, we mostly went hiking, but DH & I also rented bikes and canoes.
Me, DH, DH's sister, DH's parents
Second week of September, 2011
We were invited to DH cousin's wedding on MDI. DH's grandparents had a summer home on the island, so the extended family used to spend summer vacations there. We decided that instead of driving 6+ hours there and back for a short weekend stay to attend the wedding, we should turn this into a family vacation and spend an entire week on MDI.
Where we stayed:
We rented a 3BR home near Somesville towards Echo lake. However, the rental is only available Sat->Sat, and since the wedding is on the first Sat afternoon, we chose to drive up to MDI on Friday and stayed at a motel Friday night. DH's parents & sis-in-law stayed at Kimball Terrace in Northeast Harbor. DH & I stayed at Colonel Suite's just around the corner.
Colonel Suites turned out to be a nice find. http://colonelssuites.com/ It is run by the couple who owns the bakery & restaurant of the same name; and they decided to rent out a couple of suites that are above the restaurant. It reminds me of a gasthaus I've stayed in Germany: there is no front desk or reception. We checked in at the bakery and were given our key. All the info we needed is in the room.
I reserved the smallest room - a junior suite. It turns out to be very spacious, with a sitting area with couch, coffee table; and a small kitchenette (mini-fridge, microwave, coffee maker, sink, utensils, dishes & glasses). The bedroom has a king bed which is very, very comfortable. The bathroom has a full bath. Outside in the common hallway is washer/dryer.
Here's photo of our room:
Breakfast in the restaurant is included in our room rate. It's a generous fare. I chose blueberry pancakes with sausage patties, OJ, coffee (all included).
yk's 9-day family vacation on Mount Desert Island/Acadia NP, Sept 2011
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Unique but reasonable restaurants in Las Vegas
- 2 Maine in latter half of September
- 3 SC/GA/FL Coastal City Questions & Insect Issues
- 4 Acoma vs. Taos Pueblos
- 5 Kauai our way! A Feb 2015 Trip Report
- 6 Colorado trip
- 7 NY to Asheville then country place to stay
- 8 Italian cookies in Minneapolis area
- 9 roast beef dinner in Manhattan
- 10 DC - WW2 flyover
- 11 Colorado trip in early May
- 12 Cape cod and Acadia
- 13 Mukilteo to Whidbey Is. via Deception Pass & a ferry return??
- 14 Sedona - ladies trips- suggestions on where to stay and time of year?
- 15 Florida - Bradenton or Fort Lauderdale
- 16 Washington and oregon help with itinerary
- 17 Scottsdale, Sedona, Grand Canyon
- 18 Cumberland Island and Surrounding Area
- 19 Have you ever heard of a place called Page, Arz?
- 20 Minneapolis hotel - special occasion
- 21 Please help with four days in Boston-Cambridge-Salem
- 22 First visit in New Mexico
- 23 Business trip SFO - LAX and Standard Hotel
- 24 Zion Shuttle Bus Info
- 25 Grand Marais?