DH & I spent 9 days with DH's family on MDI/Acadia NP earlier this month. Although I have been to MDI twice in the past, I've never spent this amount of time there. This time around, I finally had time to enjoy and explore the island. On this trip, we mostly went hiking, but DH & I also rented bikes and canoes.
Me, DH, DH's sister, DH's parents
Second week of September, 2011
We were invited to DH cousin's wedding on MDI. DH's grandparents had a summer home on the island, so the extended family used to spend summer vacations there. We decided that instead of driving 6+ hours there and back for a short weekend stay to attend the wedding, we should turn this into a family vacation and spend an entire week on MDI.
Where we stayed:
We rented a 3BR home near Somesville towards Echo lake. However, the rental is only available Sat->Sat, and since the wedding is on the first Sat afternoon, we chose to drive up to MDI on Friday and stayed at a motel Friday night. DH's parents & sis-in-law stayed at Kimball Terrace in Northeast Harbor. DH & I stayed at Colonel Suite's just around the corner.
Colonel Suites turned out to be a nice find. http://colonelssuites.com/ It is run by the couple who owns the bakery & restaurant of the same name; and they decided to rent out a couple of suites that are above the restaurant. It reminds me of a gasthaus I've stayed in Germany: there is no front desk or reception. We checked in at the bakery and were given our key. All the info we needed is in the room.
I reserved the smallest room - a junior suite. It turns out to be very spacious, with a sitting area with couch, coffee table; and a small kitchenette (mini-fridge, microwave, coffee maker, sink, utensils, dishes & glasses). The bedroom has a king bed which is very, very comfortable. The bathroom has a full bath. Outside in the common hallway is washer/dryer.
Here's photo of our room:
Breakfast in the restaurant is included in our room rate. It's a generous fare. I chose blueberry pancakes with sausage patties, OJ, coffee (all included).
yk's 9-day family vacation on Mount Desert Island/Acadia NP, Sept 2011
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Fun restaurants in Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge
- 2 Road to Hana in 2 days without spending the night???
- 3 Albuquerque Recommendations
- 4 Driving between Nashville and Memphis
- 5 Glacier, Yellowstone, and Grand Teton itinerary - advice requested please!
- 6 Can I make a 1pm flight out of OGG if I stay the night before in Hana?
- 7 NYC apartments through CitySonnet.com
- 8 Alaska- cruise or land? and most scenic areas?
- 9 Boston to PEI: Where would YOU stop over?
- 10 WEst Coast WINTER holiday - 5 weeks driving.
- 11 Brooklyn why?
- 12 What to see/do in Baltimore without a car?
- 13 Is it a good idea to stay near LAX?
- 14 Broadway Banter 2014: Starting off with book recommendation
- 15 Road trip from Nashville to Dallas
- 16 2 Days in Portland - Best of?
- 17 An overnight stay in NYC to see 2 shows
- 18 New York City Restaurants
- 19 Where can I best see Orca whales in the wild?
- 20 RIP Rizzoli, J&R Music, Pearl Paint
- 21 Buying African Masks in Chicago, New York City or Atlanta
- 22 Maui vacation
- 23 Hotel to stay before Channel Islands
- 24 Favorite Washington, DC restaurants
- 25 Valdez (keystone canyon falls)? Matanuska? and other itinerary help