DH & I spent 9 days with DH's family on MDI/Acadia NP earlier this month. Although I have been to MDI twice in the past, I've never spent this amount of time there. This time around, I finally had time to enjoy and explore the island. On this trip, we mostly went hiking, but DH & I also rented bikes and canoes.
Me, DH, DH's sister, DH's parents
Second week of September, 2011
We were invited to DH cousin's wedding on MDI. DH's grandparents had a summer home on the island, so the extended family used to spend summer vacations there. We decided that instead of driving 6+ hours there and back for a short weekend stay to attend the wedding, we should turn this into a family vacation and spend an entire week on MDI.
Where we stayed:
We rented a 3BR home near Somesville towards Echo lake. However, the rental is only available Sat->Sat, and since the wedding is on the first Sat afternoon, we chose to drive up to MDI on Friday and stayed at a motel Friday night. DH's parents & sis-in-law stayed at Kimball Terrace in Northeast Harbor. DH & I stayed at Colonel Suite's just around the corner.
Colonel Suites turned out to be a nice find. http://colonelssuites.com/ It is run by the couple who owns the bakery & restaurant of the same name; and they decided to rent out a couple of suites that are above the restaurant. It reminds me of a gasthaus I've stayed in Germany: there is no front desk or reception. We checked in at the bakery and were given our key. All the info we needed is in the room.
I reserved the smallest room - a junior suite. It turns out to be very spacious, with a sitting area with couch, coffee table; and a small kitchenette (mini-fridge, microwave, coffee maker, sink, utensils, dishes & glasses). The bedroom has a king bed which is very, very comfortable. The bathroom has a full bath. Outside in the common hallway is washer/dryer.
Here's photo of our room:
Breakfast in the restaurant is included in our room rate. It's a generous fare. I chose blueberry pancakes with sausage patties, OJ, coffee (all included).
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 San Francisco - Best place to see street art
- 2 Phone SIM
- 3 60th birthday trip to Vermont, NH, Maine in October
- 4 A June trip to Kauai
- 5 Gotta Go To Stanford U Medical Center
- 6 Sacramento to South Lake Tahoe to Riverside, CA
- 7 Limited time on Maui: Advice please
- 8 Do you have suggestions on my first roadtrip South-West USA?
- 9 Road trip from Boston to Florida
- 10 ONE WAY car rental from NYC to BOS
- 11 Newark to Paris
- 12 ONE DY ONE NIGHT IN LA
- 13 Avoiding Los Angeles Traffic
- 14 Need Advice For Trip with 16year old son-
- 15 Trip Idea for Thanksgiving Break
- 16 Travel suggestions from Mystic, CT to Bar Harbor, Maine
- 17 Black Hills, Mount Rushmore, Badlands Trip Report
- 18 Transit Advisory July 4, 2016 Local Transit will be on a hoilday schedule
- 19 Napa Valley Hotel
- 20 October Fall Foliage Itinerary
- 21 The city never sleeps, but we needed to
- 22 Southern Michigan vacation destination?
- 23 Road trip lower 48 to juneau
- 24 Driving from San Francisco Airport to San Rafael
- 25 Southwest charging USD15/ for early bird check in
yk's 9-day family vacation on Mount Desert Island/Acadia NP, Sept 2011