DH & I spent 9 days with DH's family on MDI/Acadia NP earlier this month. Although I have been to MDI twice in the past, I've never spent this amount of time there. This time around, I finally had time to enjoy and explore the island. On this trip, we mostly went hiking, but DH & I also rented bikes and canoes.
Me, DH, DH's sister, DH's parents
Second week of September, 2011
We were invited to DH cousin's wedding on MDI. DH's grandparents had a summer home on the island, so the extended family used to spend summer vacations there. We decided that instead of driving 6+ hours there and back for a short weekend stay to attend the wedding, we should turn this into a family vacation and spend an entire week on MDI.
Where we stayed:
We rented a 3BR home near Somesville towards Echo lake. However, the rental is only available Sat->Sat, and since the wedding is on the first Sat afternoon, we chose to drive up to MDI on Friday and stayed at a motel Friday night. DH's parents & sis-in-law stayed at Kimball Terrace in Northeast Harbor. DH & I stayed at Colonel Suite's just around the corner.
Colonel Suites turned out to be a nice find. http://colonelssuites.com/ It is run by the couple who owns the bakery & restaurant of the same name; and they decided to rent out a couple of suites that are above the restaurant. It reminds me of a gasthaus I've stayed in Germany: there is no front desk or reception. We checked in at the bakery and were given our key. All the info we needed is in the room.
I reserved the smallest room - a junior suite. It turns out to be very spacious, with a sitting area with couch, coffee table; and a small kitchenette (mini-fridge, microwave, coffee maker, sink, utensils, dishes & glasses). The bedroom has a king bed which is very, very comfortable. The bathroom has a full bath. Outside in the common hallway is washer/dryer.
Here's photo of our room:
Breakfast in the restaurant is included in our room rate. It's a generous fare. I chose blueberry pancakes with sausage patties, OJ, coffee (all included).
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Best quality lodging Solitude Utah
- 2 North Carolinas Best City for Singles in thier early 30s
- 3 Death Valley
- 4 Grand Canyon to LA
- 5 sunday night getaway between sandiego and los angles
- 6 Driving Cedar City to San Francisco
- 7 Scenic drive from Newport, RI to the Berkshires
- 8 Best MGM owned hotel on the Las Vegas Strip?
- 9 Boston hotels
- 10 Help!! Need a Good NYC car service Please
- 11 Warning About Dollar Rent a Car in Lower Manhattan
- 12 Road trip Washington NY Boston
- 13 NYC Suggestions - Six Week Trip…?
- 14 Thanksgiving in New Orleans and Tulane Visit
- 15 Is Fox Rent A Car any good?
- 16 6 days in Boston with kids - a lovely family vacation
- 17 My CA itinerary
- 18 Best route in winter from Washington DC to Niagara Falls
- 19 Retiring to Colorado
- 20 Charleston and Asheville
- 21 4 days in Colorado in December with kids
- 22 On the Road: from Texas to Georgia. questions about NC
- 23 Los Angeles one night only mid week
- 24 Family vacation itinerary pointers
- 25 5 day Colorado itinerary- anniversary trip
yk's 9-day family vacation on Mount Desert Island/Acadia NP, Sept 2011