DH & I spent 9 days with DH's family on MDI/Acadia NP earlier this month. Although I have been to MDI twice in the past, I've never spent this amount of time there. This time around, I finally had time to enjoy and explore the island. On this trip, we mostly went hiking, but DH & I also rented bikes and canoes.
Me, DH, DH's sister, DH's parents
Second week of September, 2011
We were invited to DH cousin's wedding on MDI. DH's grandparents had a summer home on the island, so the extended family used to spend summer vacations there. We decided that instead of driving 6+ hours there and back for a short weekend stay to attend the wedding, we should turn this into a family vacation and spend an entire week on MDI.
Where we stayed:
We rented a 3BR home near Somesville towards Echo lake. However, the rental is only available Sat->Sat, and since the wedding is on the first Sat afternoon, we chose to drive up to MDI on Friday and stayed at a motel Friday night. DH's parents & sis-in-law stayed at Kimball Terrace in Northeast Harbor. DH & I stayed at Colonel Suite's just around the corner.
Colonel Suites turned out to be a nice find. http://colonelssuites.com/ It is run by the couple who owns the bakery & restaurant of the same name; and they decided to rent out a couple of suites that are above the restaurant. It reminds me of a gasthaus I've stayed in Germany: there is no front desk or reception. We checked in at the bakery and were given our key. All the info we needed is in the room.
I reserved the smallest room - a junior suite. It turns out to be very spacious, with a sitting area with couch, coffee table; and a small kitchenette (mini-fridge, microwave, coffee maker, sink, utensils, dishes & glasses). The bedroom has a king bed which is very, very comfortable. The bathroom has a full bath. Outside in the common hallway is washer/dryer.
Here's photo of our room:
Breakfast in the restaurant is included in our room rate. It's a generous fare. I chose blueberry pancakes with sausage patties, OJ, coffee (all included).
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Pacific coast road trip
- 2 Restaurant for lunch between Atlanta and Savannah
- 3 Hudson Valley Drive Suggestions
- 4 The Manhattan Project - The Maitais Return To The Big Apple
- 5 Kauai Eats... Recommendations??
- 6 Where to stay in Kansas City MO/What to do
- 7 San Diego July 2016 - an FYI
- 8 MANN FAMILY FARM- BOLINAS CA: Do You Know This Area?
- 9 Looking for rustic secluded cabins/yurts in midwest
- 10 Where to stay in Missoula?
- 11 Family vacation itinerary pointers
- 12 NYC Suggestions - Six Week Trip…?
- 13 Restaurants in San Francisco and Napa/Sonoma Valley
- 14 Our explorations of the Hudson Valley & Catskills
- 15 Wildlife viewing in the US South West
- 16 Itinerary Critique: BNP/Mt.R/YNP/Jac
- 17 Itinerary Critique: BNP/Mt.R/YNP/Jac
- 18 Southern Cali itinerary help
- 19 Driving at Night in YNP
- 20 Washington and Seattle Itinerary
- 21 I-70 to Leadville, CO - 91 or 24
- 22 Need help planning - Car Road trip SF to Grand Canyon
- 23 Berkshires-AARP Central
- 24 Recommendations for birthday Sunday brunch near but outside Boston
- 25 Visiting Mount Washington - interesting stops along I-91?
yk's 9-day family vacation on Mount Desert Island/Acadia NP, Sept 2011