DH & I spent 9 days with DH's family on MDI/Acadia NP earlier this month. Although I have been to MDI twice in the past, I've never spent this amount of time there. This time around, I finally had time to enjoy and explore the island. On this trip, we mostly went hiking, but DH & I also rented bikes and canoes.
Me, DH, DH's sister, DH's parents
Second week of September, 2011
We were invited to DH cousin's wedding on MDI. DH's grandparents had a summer home on the island, so the extended family used to spend summer vacations there. We decided that instead of driving 6+ hours there and back for a short weekend stay to attend the wedding, we should turn this into a family vacation and spend an entire week on MDI.
Where we stayed:
We rented a 3BR home near Somesville towards Echo lake. However, the rental is only available Sat->Sat, and since the wedding is on the first Sat afternoon, we chose to drive up to MDI on Friday and stayed at a motel Friday night. DH's parents & sis-in-law stayed at Kimball Terrace in Northeast Harbor. DH & I stayed at Colonel Suite's just around the corner.
Colonel Suites turned out to be a nice find. http://colonelssuites.com/ It is run by the couple who owns the bakery & restaurant of the same name; and they decided to rent out a couple of suites that are above the restaurant. It reminds me of a gasthaus I've stayed in Germany: there is no front desk or reception. We checked in at the bakery and were given our key. All the info we needed is in the room.
I reserved the smallest room - a junior suite. It turns out to be very spacious, with a sitting area with couch, coffee table; and a small kitchenette (mini-fridge, microwave, coffee maker, sink, utensils, dishes & glasses). The bedroom has a king bed which is very, very comfortable. The bathroom has a full bath. Outside in the common hallway is washer/dryer.
Here's photo of our room:
Breakfast in the restaurant is included in our room rate. It's a generous fare. I chose blueberry pancakes with sausage patties, OJ, coffee (all included).
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 easy to access car rental near but not in Logan Airport
- 2 Fodor's Boston GTG
- 3 Austin, TX to Seattle. Road trip with two dogs
- 4 Restaurant recommendations...Chelsea Market, Korea Town
- 5 Trail Ridge Probably Not Open
- 6 Chicago, Illinois: Where to stay? Do you need a car?
- 7 Maine/Vermont/Quebec vs. Costa Rica?
- 8 Paying for Permit Land Crossing USA to Mexico
- 9 Pointe Hilton Tapatio Cliffs
- 10 Best route from Battle Creek, MI to Bar Harbor, ME
- 11 New York Pass Yes or No ???
- 12 Rental Car Orlando
- 13 Inexpensive family getaways
- 14 ALASKA FOR 7 DAYS
- 15 Boston College Visit with older teen. Highlights to see and do.
- 16 Discounted Rental Car?
- 17 SW Colorado and Moab, UT
- 18 Road Trip From IA to Niagara Falls
- 19 1st Visit to USA with kids in Jul-Aug, SFO,LA,SD & LAS - 21 days. Need Help
- 20 Valdez, Alaska
- 21 NJ to Florida drive
- 22 Driving from central Florida to Napa CA
- 23 Badlands, Yellowstone, Grand Teton, etc. 2016 trip - Need suggestions
- 24 San Francisco & West Hollywood restaurants
- 25 Help with itinerary...4 days in DC
yk's 9-day family vacation on Mount Desert Island/Acadia NP, Sept 2011