DH & I spent 9 days with DH's family on MDI/Acadia NP earlier this month. Although I have been to MDI twice in the past, I've never spent this amount of time there. This time around, I finally had time to enjoy and explore the island. On this trip, we mostly went hiking, but DH & I also rented bikes and canoes.
Me, DH, DH's sister, DH's parents
Second week of September, 2011
We were invited to DH cousin's wedding on MDI. DH's grandparents had a summer home on the island, so the extended family used to spend summer vacations there. We decided that instead of driving 6+ hours there and back for a short weekend stay to attend the wedding, we should turn this into a family vacation and spend an entire week on MDI.
Where we stayed:
We rented a 3BR home near Somesville towards Echo lake. However, the rental is only available Sat->Sat, and since the wedding is on the first Sat afternoon, we chose to drive up to MDI on Friday and stayed at a motel Friday night. DH's parents & sis-in-law stayed at Kimball Terrace in Northeast Harbor. DH & I stayed at Colonel Suite's just around the corner.
Colonel Suites turned out to be a nice find. http://colonelssuites.com/ It is run by the couple who owns the bakery & restaurant of the same name; and they decided to rent out a couple of suites that are above the restaurant. It reminds me of a gasthaus I've stayed in Germany: there is no front desk or reception. We checked in at the bakery and were given our key. All the info we needed is in the room.
I reserved the smallest room - a junior suite. It turns out to be very spacious, with a sitting area with couch, coffee table; and a small kitchenette (mini-fridge, microwave, coffee maker, sink, utensils, dishes & glasses). The bedroom has a king bed which is very, very comfortable. The bathroom has a full bath. Outside in the common hallway is washer/dryer.
Here's photo of our room:
Breakfast in the restaurant is included in our room rate. It's a generous fare. I chose blueberry pancakes with sausage patties, OJ, coffee (all included).
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 세븐카지노⋏对⋏（ＹＴＥ６４.ＣＯＭ）⋏对⋏세븐카지노
- 2 Las Vegas to LA by car.
- 3 9 days from Acadia to Providence RI
- 4 Clean One bedroom for $50-$70 a week
- 5 Where to stay in South Carolina?
- 6 Restaurants in Sanibel/Captiva
- 7 Does the "Real USA" (still) exist?
- 8 6 days in Boston - review itinerary & other recs needed
- 9 Trip Report: 3 weeks in the Southwest, May-June 2015
- 10 colter cabin or Signal mountain lodge
- 11 questions on hiking in Arches NP
- 12 SUV v. Minivan for national park summer driving or does it not matter?
- 13 Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Yellowstone, Tetons
- 14 Another Quick NYC Trip - Food Ideas?
- 15 Portland and Seattle for 9 days need help with driving itinerary
- 16 Driving route: Monument Valley to Moab on hot day
- 17 Driving from New York to Atlanta,Ga
- 18 Study in America
- 19 NYC itinerary 5 days
- 20 Seattle, WA to Redondo Beach, CA December
- 21 Traveling alone to Las Vegas
- 22 Florida Family vacation in California
- 23 walking it off in North Beach and Chinatown
- 24 Planning first trip to New Orleans - advice?
- 25 Itinerary advice first time to USA SF-YNP-LV-LA-SF
yk's 9-day family vacation on Mount Desert Island/Acadia NP, Sept 2011