DH & I spent 9 days with DH's family on MDI/Acadia NP earlier this month. Although I have been to MDI twice in the past, I've never spent this amount of time there. This time around, I finally had time to enjoy and explore the island. On this trip, we mostly went hiking, but DH & I also rented bikes and canoes.
Me, DH, DH's sister, DH's parents
Second week of September, 2011
We were invited to DH cousin's wedding on MDI. DH's grandparents had a summer home on the island, so the extended family used to spend summer vacations there. We decided that instead of driving 6+ hours there and back for a short weekend stay to attend the wedding, we should turn this into a family vacation and spend an entire week on MDI.
Where we stayed:
We rented a 3BR home near Somesville towards Echo lake. However, the rental is only available Sat->Sat, and since the wedding is on the first Sat afternoon, we chose to drive up to MDI on Friday and stayed at a motel Friday night. DH's parents & sis-in-law stayed at Kimball Terrace in Northeast Harbor. DH & I stayed at Colonel Suite's just around the corner.
Colonel Suites turned out to be a nice find. http://colonelssuites.com/ It is run by the couple who owns the bakery & restaurant of the same name; and they decided to rent out a couple of suites that are above the restaurant. It reminds me of a gasthaus I've stayed in Germany: there is no front desk or reception. We checked in at the bakery and were given our key. All the info we needed is in the room.
I reserved the smallest room - a junior suite. It turns out to be very spacious, with a sitting area with couch, coffee table; and a small kitchenette (mini-fridge, microwave, coffee maker, sink, utensils, dishes & glasses). The bedroom has a king bed which is very, very comfortable. The bathroom has a full bath. Outside in the common hallway is washer/dryer.
Here's photo of our room:
Breakfast in the restaurant is included in our room rate. It's a generous fare. I chose blueberry pancakes with sausage patties, OJ, coffee (all included).
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Libido Booster Extreme - Sizable Growth Testosterone Booster!!
- 2 Assist:: HP Printer Tec*h SUPP0RT CONTACT ☎ 1:844:291 :6706 HP 24*7
- 3 Las Vegas trip report
- 4 How much cash do you travel with?
- 5 Big Island - Best Way to See Lava and Waterfalls?
- 6 We want too see Statue of liberty. Flying into EWR and out of Jfk
- 7 Anyone use Hawaiian Airlines?
- 8 PNC Park ~ convenient hotel?
- 9 sugestions
- 10 road trip from NC to Maine in Sept.
- 11 Boston area hotels
- 12 Help! 2nd half of trip...From GTNP, 11 days before flying out of Denver.
- 13 Default Vegas-GC-Antelope-Bryce-Zion-Vegas
- 14 10 Day Road Trip in Colorado
- 15 Santa Fe Itineray
- 16 Washington to Oregon where I need help
- 17 Saratoga Springs, NY - affordable hotel?
- 18 Quick road trip
- 19 What to request?
- 20 Santa Barbara Hotels
- 21 How much cash do you travel with?
- 22 Miami for 2 days
- 23 Outlet Mall in New Orleans
- 24 Ideas for month-long CA/WA/OR road trip
- 25 Oregon Coast road trip
yk's 9-day family vacation on Mount Desert Island/Acadia NP, Sept 2011