DH & I spent 9 days with DH's family on MDI/Acadia NP earlier this month. Although I have been to MDI twice in the past, I've never spent this amount of time there. This time around, I finally had time to enjoy and explore the island. On this trip, we mostly went hiking, but DH & I also rented bikes and canoes.
Me, DH, DH's sister, DH's parents
Second week of September, 2011
We were invited to DH cousin's wedding on MDI. DH's grandparents had a summer home on the island, so the extended family used to spend summer vacations there. We decided that instead of driving 6+ hours there and back for a short weekend stay to attend the wedding, we should turn this into a family vacation and spend an entire week on MDI.
Where we stayed:
We rented a 3BR home near Somesville towards Echo lake. However, the rental is only available Sat->Sat, and since the wedding is on the first Sat afternoon, we chose to drive up to MDI on Friday and stayed at a motel Friday night. DH's parents & sis-in-law stayed at Kimball Terrace in Northeast Harbor. DH & I stayed at Colonel Suite's just around the corner.
Colonel Suites turned out to be a nice find. http://colonelssuites.com/ It is run by the couple who owns the bakery & restaurant of the same name; and they decided to rent out a couple of suites that are above the restaurant. It reminds me of a gasthaus I've stayed in Germany: there is no front desk or reception. We checked in at the bakery and were given our key. All the info we needed is in the room.
I reserved the smallest room - a junior suite. It turns out to be very spacious, with a sitting area with couch, coffee table; and a small kitchenette (mini-fridge, microwave, coffee maker, sink, utensils, dishes & glasses). The bedroom has a king bed which is very, very comfortable. The bathroom has a full bath. Outside in the common hallway is washer/dryer.
Here's photo of our room:
Breakfast in the restaurant is included in our room rate. It's a generous fare. I chose blueberry pancakes with sausage patties, OJ, coffee (all included).
yk's 9-day family vacation on Mount Desert Island/Acadia NP, Sept 2011
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Where to add a few days in Colorado?
- 2 Best Sonoma Wineries for Group Visit
- 3 palm desert, CA
- 4 Restaurant recommendations for lower east side & upper west side
- 5 Houston in September
- 6 Turning right with red traffic light ?
- 7 Traffic north on Hwy. 1 in Maine Sat. 9/20 midday
- 8 Priceline: bid for walkable to Alamo/Riverwalk in San Antonio. Possible?
- 9 Disappointed with Hotwire for our Austin Rental Car
- 10 Kauai - Napali Coast - Air vs Water
- 11 6 Weeks in the U.S./ London with Two 60ish Young At Heart
- 12 Hotels in North Philadelphia
- 13 Niagara Falls-- US side or Canada
- 14 Restaurant recommendations for Washington DC - city centre
- 15 Scouting Mt. Dora, Florida
- 16 San Fran experts: need help with Bay vista points
- 17 Stubhub and NFL Tickets
- 18 Great Smoky Mountains: Asheville or Bryson City?
- 19 weather i antelope canyon in December
- 20 Road trip from Oakville to Vermont, Maine, Boston - too much in 7 days?
- 21 Suggested Itinerary for Grand Canyon and Utah National Parks in two weeks
- 22 Itinerary for solo traveler to Maui, Hawaii
- 23 Hawaii Trip - Maui, Kauai and Honolulu in 9 days
- 24 Driving from NYC to Montreal - pls recommend a place to eat in upstate NY
- 25 New York Trip