DH & I spent 9 days with DH's family on MDI/Acadia NP earlier this month. Although I have been to MDI twice in the past, I've never spent this amount of time there. This time around, I finally had time to enjoy and explore the island. On this trip, we mostly went hiking, but DH & I also rented bikes and canoes.
Me, DH, DH's sister, DH's parents
Second week of September, 2011
We were invited to DH cousin's wedding on MDI. DH's grandparents had a summer home on the island, so the extended family used to spend summer vacations there. We decided that instead of driving 6+ hours there and back for a short weekend stay to attend the wedding, we should turn this into a family vacation and spend an entire week on MDI.
Where we stayed:
We rented a 3BR home near Somesville towards Echo lake. However, the rental is only available Sat->Sat, and since the wedding is on the first Sat afternoon, we chose to drive up to MDI on Friday and stayed at a motel Friday night. DH's parents & sis-in-law stayed at Kimball Terrace in Northeast Harbor. DH & I stayed at Colonel Suite's just around the corner.
Colonel Suites turned out to be a nice find. http://colonelssuites.com/ It is run by the couple who owns the bakery & restaurant of the same name; and they decided to rent out a couple of suites that are above the restaurant. It reminds me of a gasthaus I've stayed in Germany: there is no front desk or reception. We checked in at the bakery and were given our key. All the info we needed is in the room.
I reserved the smallest room - a junior suite. It turns out to be very spacious, with a sitting area with couch, coffee table; and a small kitchenette (mini-fridge, microwave, coffee maker, sink, utensils, dishes & glasses). The bedroom has a king bed which is very, very comfortable. The bathroom has a full bath. Outside in the common hallway is washer/dryer.
Here's photo of our room:
Breakfast in the restaurant is included in our room rate. It's a generous fare. I chose blueberry pancakes with sausage patties, OJ, coffee (all included).
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Highway 1 motels
- 2 Itinerary Advice for SLC - Moab - Zion
- 3 Alabama vs. Florida Beaches
- 4 Where are the orcas near Seattle?
- 5 Laguna Beach, what to do
- 6 driving from LA to Portland
- 7 Places to stay in TX...?
- 8 Need a short term apartment in BOSTON
- 9 Roadtrip in the South. Help on when to go!
- 10 NYC - Sargent - Sorolla
- 11 Best Place to Stay in Asheville, North Carolina with 80 year old dad
- 12 San Fran to LA via PCH
- 13 Silverthorne
- 14 Another Quick NYC Trip - Food Ideas?
- 15 Best Affordable Hotel to Stay in Montana - Deborah
- 16 New Orleans Best Guided Tours
- 17 Overwhelmed by Alaskan shore excursion choices
- 18 San Diego Clothing Help (woman)
- 19 Alaska itinerary - Anchorage, Seward, Denali, Juneau.
- 20 San Antonio
- 21 11 days SE coast road trip
- 22 Kauai Eats... Recommendations??
- 23 Getting around in NYC
- 24 Mountains, Hiking and Wildlife in Fall
- 25 Should I cancel Florida vacation?
yk's 9-day family vacation on Mount Desert Island/Acadia NP, Sept 2011