DH & I spent 9 days with DH's family on MDI/Acadia NP earlier this month. Although I have been to MDI twice in the past, I've never spent this amount of time there. This time around, I finally had time to enjoy and explore the island. On this trip, we mostly went hiking, but DH & I also rented bikes and canoes.
Me, DH, DH's sister, DH's parents
Second week of September, 2011
We were invited to DH cousin's wedding on MDI. DH's grandparents had a summer home on the island, so the extended family used to spend summer vacations there. We decided that instead of driving 6+ hours there and back for a short weekend stay to attend the wedding, we should turn this into a family vacation and spend an entire week on MDI.
Where we stayed:
We rented a 3BR home near Somesville towards Echo lake. However, the rental is only available Sat->Sat, and since the wedding is on the first Sat afternoon, we chose to drive up to MDI on Friday and stayed at a motel Friday night. DH's parents & sis-in-law stayed at Kimball Terrace in Northeast Harbor. DH & I stayed at Colonel Suite's just around the corner.
Colonel Suites turned out to be a nice find. http://colonelssuites.com/ It is run by the couple who owns the bakery & restaurant of the same name; and they decided to rent out a couple of suites that are above the restaurant. It reminds me of a gasthaus I've stayed in Germany: there is no front desk or reception. We checked in at the bakery and were given our key. All the info we needed is in the room.
I reserved the smallest room - a junior suite. It turns out to be very spacious, with a sitting area with couch, coffee table; and a small kitchenette (mini-fridge, microwave, coffee maker, sink, utensils, dishes & glasses). The bedroom has a king bed which is very, very comfortable. The bathroom has a full bath. Outside in the common hallway is washer/dryer.
Here's photo of our room:
Breakfast in the restaurant is included in our room rate. It's a generous fare. I chose blueberry pancakes with sausage patties, OJ, coffee (all included).
yk's 9-day family vacation on Mount Desert Island/Acadia NP, Sept 2011
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Need a recommendation for lodging on Kauai (North or South side of Island)
- 2 Friendship, fiddling, and freezing in Boston
- 3 Disappointed with Budget Car Rental Las Vegas
- 4 Berkshires
- 5 Sea world San Diego
- 6 Car rentals- San Francisco
- 7 Fiery Furnace Hike in Arches national park
- 8 Jersey Shore to NYC?
- 9 Portland to San Fransisco in 7 days in mid March
- 10 Prince of Wales or Many Glacier? WHY?
- 11 Las Vegas in March
- 12 Just started to plan my Mid-March visit to Alaska!
- 13 Where is the best shrimp on Oahu
- 14 Hotel: Union Sq. or Fisherman's Wharf?
- 15 September Long Weekend in SW Colorado
- 16 Clearwater visit.
- 17 Centrally located hotel in Philadelphia
- 18 Glacier National Park 10 Days
- 19 2nd Trip to Alaska, Looking for some off the beaten path suggestions
- 20 Bear Viewing in Alaska in early June... Any cost effective recommendations?
- 21 hotels near Denali
- 22 Dessert with a view in Monterey?
- 23 Suggested route for National Park's drive, starting in Glacier NP.........
- 24 Lunch on the Turquoise Trail
- 25 Utah 2