DH & I spent 9 days with DH's family on MDI/Acadia NP earlier this month. Although I have been to MDI twice in the past, I've never spent this amount of time there. This time around, I finally had time to enjoy and explore the island. On this trip, we mostly went hiking, but DH & I also rented bikes and canoes.
Me, DH, DH's sister, DH's parents
Second week of September, 2011
We were invited to DH cousin's wedding on MDI. DH's grandparents had a summer home on the island, so the extended family used to spend summer vacations there. We decided that instead of driving 6+ hours there and back for a short weekend stay to attend the wedding, we should turn this into a family vacation and spend an entire week on MDI.
Where we stayed:
We rented a 3BR home near Somesville towards Echo lake. However, the rental is only available Sat->Sat, and since the wedding is on the first Sat afternoon, we chose to drive up to MDI on Friday and stayed at a motel Friday night. DH's parents & sis-in-law stayed at Kimball Terrace in Northeast Harbor. DH & I stayed at Colonel Suite's just around the corner.
Colonel Suites turned out to be a nice find. http://colonelssuites.com/ It is run by the couple who owns the bakery & restaurant of the same name; and they decided to rent out a couple of suites that are above the restaurant. It reminds me of a gasthaus I've stayed in Germany: there is no front desk or reception. We checked in at the bakery and were given our key. All the info we needed is in the room.
I reserved the smallest room - a junior suite. It turns out to be very spacious, with a sitting area with couch, coffee table; and a small kitchenette (mini-fridge, microwave, coffee maker, sink, utensils, dishes & glasses). The bedroom has a king bed which is very, very comfortable. The bathroom has a full bath. Outside in the common hallway is washer/dryer.
Here's photo of our room:
Breakfast in the restaurant is included in our room rate. It's a generous fare. I chose blueberry pancakes with sausage patties, OJ, coffee (all included).
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 4 days in wine country. Where should we stay?
- 2 Washington DC with kids
- 3 help from a true New Yorker.
- 4 Road trip through southern US states - must-see suggestions?
- 5 8 Days in Yellowstone/GTNP
- 6 Road trip from North Carolina to Maine
- 7 Port Angelas -Vegas
- 8 Our House Has no Hot Tub - Where to Soak in Crested Butte
- 9 Help! Road Trip from Boulder to Oregon 2/2016
- 10 Safety Concerns
- 11 Bronx Help to visit hospital
- 12 Jul, Aug or Sept for California trip, which is preferable and why?
- 13 Alaska independent tour for group
- 14 Best 2 (or 3) Day Drive Between Phoenix & Palm Springs?
- 15 Native and Natural Interests near the Grand Canyon
- 16 5 days in Colorado
- 17 Trip to northern California
- 18 Charleston+Kiawah+Asheville+?
- 19 40th in Key West
- 20 Downtown Chicago
- 21 Homeless family murdered in Staten Island Motel
- 22 Alaska -public transport
- 23 Hamilton Broadway
- 24 Nashville and Gatlinburg
- 25 Restaurants in Tucson, Phoenix, Scottsdale, Sedona
yk's 9-day family vacation on Mount Desert Island/Acadia NP, Sept 2011