Me, DH, my parents
April 22-25, 2010
My parents (from Houston) were visiting us in Boston the first half of the week. Since they haven't been to NYC for many years, we decided to head there for a long weekend.
Affinia Gardens on UES (E 64th St btw 2nd & 3rd Aves)
Even though I go to NYC several times a year (this is my 3rd trip in 2010), I haven't stayed at a hotel in NYC for 10-15 years. I always stay with my friends in Manhattan when I'm traveling alone or with DH.
Thanks to Fodorites' suggestion, I booked the Affinia Gardens. I saw a good rate on Travelzoo several months ago - $169/n for a junior suite, which comes to $200/n all-in.
Upon check-in, we were asked if we could accomodate them by sharing a 2BR suite on our first night, because they didn't have 2 junior suites for us (many guests had to extend their stay due flight cancellations caused by the Icelandic volcano). We were offered a discount, which we gladly accepted. The 2BR suite was luxurious in terms of space - over 800 sq ft with sitting/dining area, 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, and fully-equipped kitchen. There is even an outdoor terrace with patio furniture. We were so pleased with the 2BR suite that we would have been more than happy to stay there for the rest of our stay, but a phone call to front desk the following morning confirmed that our 2 junior suites would be ready for the rest of our stay.
The junior suite is spacious, about 400-500 sq ft. However, there is no "dining" table or chairs; only a sofa and coffee table. Kitchen is quite small, but still well-equipped.
Overall, we were very pleased with our stay at Affinia Gardens. The location is nice and quiet (no problems with street noise), staff was courteous and pleasant, and the rooms are nicely-decorated. I particularly liked the "pillow menu" which I requested a memory foam pillow (which I use at home). We also made use of the kitchen as we cooked a few simple meals there and prepared breakfasts.
Living/Dining area of 2BR suite: http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/pp146/y2000k/April%202010/IMG_5473.jpg
Master Bedroom of 2BR suite:
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Weekend trip wine-tasting on Long Island
- 2 Palm Springs, CA trip advice
- 3 48 Hours in NYC
- 4 Northern California 13-day Itinerary
- 5 Carmel- Tickle Pink
- 6 Best restaurant in Little Italy?
- 7 Ferry to Nantucket
- 8 Camping Sites in and around NY
- 9 Yellowstone and...what park would you do?
- 10 Sedona - Jeep Tours
- 11 Another question about hawaii
- 12 Late winter road trip Deep South
- 13 Great eats Portland, Seattle, Vancouver
- 14 route tips Ashland OR to Durango, Pasgosa Springs
- 15 New York City to New Orleans Itinerary
- 16 Hawk's
- 17 Quick trip to New Mexico
- 18 GRAND CIRCLE 1 week RV/Campervan
- 19 Suggestion for 4 day hotel in Miami
- 20 Broadway show tickets
- 21 A stop between St Louis and Little Rock
- 22 bad traffic on 476 in PA memorial day weekend
- 23 BYOB in New York City
- 24 Getting to Oneonta or Delhi, NY
- 25 Where to visit driving through coast of Maine
yk & family visit NYC April 2010 - Trip Report