Me, DH, my parents
April 22-25, 2010
My parents (from Houston) were visiting us in Boston the first half of the week. Since they haven't been to NYC for many years, we decided to head there for a long weekend.
Affinia Gardens on UES (E 64th St btw 2nd & 3rd Aves)
Even though I go to NYC several times a year (this is my 3rd trip in 2010), I haven't stayed at a hotel in NYC for 10-15 years. I always stay with my friends in Manhattan when I'm traveling alone or with DH.
Thanks to Fodorites' suggestion, I booked the Affinia Gardens. I saw a good rate on Travelzoo several months ago - $169/n for a junior suite, which comes to $200/n all-in.
Upon check-in, we were asked if we could accomodate them by sharing a 2BR suite on our first night, because they didn't have 2 junior suites for us (many guests had to extend their stay due flight cancellations caused by the Icelandic volcano). We were offered a discount, which we gladly accepted. The 2BR suite was luxurious in terms of space - over 800 sq ft with sitting/dining area, 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, and fully-equipped kitchen. There is even an outdoor terrace with patio furniture. We were so pleased with the 2BR suite that we would have been more than happy to stay there for the rest of our stay, but a phone call to front desk the following morning confirmed that our 2 junior suites would be ready for the rest of our stay.
The junior suite is spacious, about 400-500 sq ft. However, there is no "dining" table or chairs; only a sofa and coffee table. Kitchen is quite small, but still well-equipped.
Overall, we were very pleased with our stay at Affinia Gardens. The location is nice and quiet (no problems with street noise), staff was courteous and pleasant, and the rooms are nicely-decorated. I particularly liked the "pillow menu" which I requested a memory foam pillow (which I use at home). We also made use of the kitchen as we cooked a few simple meals there and prepared breakfasts.
Living/Dining area of 2BR suite: http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/pp146/y2000k/April%202010/IMG_5473.jpg
Master Bedroom of 2BR suite:
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Boston/Cape/ Back to Boston (Or Have we Made a Big Mistake?)
- 2 San Diego, Yosemite, Napa
- 3 Best Fly-fishing in July
- 4 Fodor's Boston GTG
- 5 Route Dr. - FLA speed traps?
- 6 Okc,Ok to Taos,NM
- 7 San Francisco accommodation suggestions for November
- 8 What's There to Do in Kauai???
- 9 easy to access car rental near but not in Logan Airport
- 10 Denver CO what to do arriving at 8am
- 11 what western states to spend the most time in
- 12 Las vegas to Kingston, NY - 7/8 days- June 4th
- 13 Kauai in November
- 14 What to do in Portland, Maine
- 15 Three Days In Portland, Maine
- 16 Help with itinerary...4 days in DC
- 17 Crested Butte lodging suggestions...summer
- 18 Austin, TX to Seattle. Road trip with two dogs
- 19 10 Days- California during the holidays
- 20 Hawaii - where?
- 21 Request Driving tips from Zion NP, UT to San Francisco?
- 22 Memphis to New Orleans Trip
- 23 Advice Road trip 15 days California Grand Canyon
- 24 Little Compton, RI
- 25 Trail Ridge Probably Not Open
yk & family visit NYC April 2010 - Trip Report