Me, DH, my parents
April 22-25, 2010
My parents (from Houston) were visiting us in Boston the first half of the week. Since they haven't been to NYC for many years, we decided to head there for a long weekend.
Affinia Gardens on UES (E 64th St btw 2nd & 3rd Aves)
Even though I go to NYC several times a year (this is my 3rd trip in 2010), I haven't stayed at a hotel in NYC for 10-15 years. I always stay with my friends in Manhattan when I'm traveling alone or with DH.
Thanks to Fodorites' suggestion, I booked the Affinia Gardens. I saw a good rate on Travelzoo several months ago - $169/n for a junior suite, which comes to $200/n all-in.
Upon check-in, we were asked if we could accomodate them by sharing a 2BR suite on our first night, because they didn't have 2 junior suites for us (many guests had to extend their stay due flight cancellations caused by the Icelandic volcano). We were offered a discount, which we gladly accepted. The 2BR suite was luxurious in terms of space - over 800 sq ft with sitting/dining area, 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, and fully-equipped kitchen. There is even an outdoor terrace with patio furniture. We were so pleased with the 2BR suite that we would have been more than happy to stay there for the rest of our stay, but a phone call to front desk the following morning confirmed that our 2 junior suites would be ready for the rest of our stay.
The junior suite is spacious, about 400-500 sq ft. However, there is no "dining" table or chairs; only a sofa and coffee table. Kitchen is quite small, but still well-equipped.
Overall, we were very pleased with our stay at Affinia Gardens. The location is nice and quiet (no problems with street noise), staff was courteous and pleasant, and the rooms are nicely-decorated. I particularly liked the "pillow menu" which I requested a memory foam pillow (which I use at home). We also made use of the kitchen as we cooked a few simple meals there and prepared breakfasts.
Living/Dining area of 2BR suite: http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/pp146/y2000k/April%202010/IMG_5473.jpg
Master Bedroom of 2BR suite:
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 California Summer weather/ clothing
- 2 Steamboat in August
- 3 Transportation from downtown Miami to Ft. Lauderdale airport
- 4 Discount Broadway Show Tickets webistes
- 5 Napa Valley Hotel
- 6 Road trip from Boston to Florida
- 7 Movies to put you in the mood for a western road trip
- 8 Do you have suggestions on my first roadtrip South-West USA?
- 9 Need Advice For Trip with 16year old son-
- 10 The city never sleeps, but we needed to
- 11 The Great Debate, What is Worth Precious Money and Time in NYC
- 12 Christmas Napa Valley
- 13 Island of Oahu: looking for cheap accommodation
- 14 Southwest charging USD15/ for early bird check in
- 15 Sacramento to South Lake Tahoe to Riverside, CA
- 16 Your favourite places in New York City
- 17 Phone SIM
- 18 3 days in NYC with my Grandma!
- 19 Las vegas +21
- 20 1st Visit to USA with kids in Jul-Aug, SFO,LA,SD & LAS - 21 days. Need Help
- 21 60th birthday trip to Vermont, NH, Maine in October
- 22 Zion NP & Las Vegas with Kids for 3 days in July - Please Help
- 23 Trip Idea for Thanksgiving Break
- 24 Limited time on Maui: Advice please
- 25 Savanah Sojourn
yk & family visit NYC April 2010 - Trip Report