DH & I - in our mid/late 30s
Last weekend in June 2010
Instead of sitting home every weekend wondering what we *should* do, I've decided that we will explore a new part of New England, or a new section of Boston (where we live) every weekend. Portland seems a good overnight destination from Boston (~ 2 hrs' drive).
Research & Planning
There are very few trip reports here on Portland, Maine. Thankfully, dfrostnh recently was there and posted a most helpful TR (http://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/lazy-weekend-portlandogunquit-me.cfm ).
Other resources included a Fodors guidebook (Maine, Vermont & NH), Visit Portland website (http://www.visitportland.com/ ), Chowhound for restaurant ideas, and several magazine articles (which mostly focus on the food scene in Portland).
We ate A LOT on this trip (mostly excellent), but we also did quite a lot of sightseeing. Portland, while a city, is very compact. All tourist sights can be covered on foot. People are friendly and easy-going.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Trip Report: Charleston SC, Hilton Head, Savannah GA and Jekyll Island
- 2 Broadway show tickets
- 3 14 day trip advice Spokane Wa to Glacier,Banff, Jasper, Lake Louise
- 4 Yellowstone and...what park would you do?
- 5 Great eats Portland, Seattle, Vancouver
- 6 Quick trip to New Mexico
- 7 Camping Sites in and around NY
- 8 BYOB in New York City
- 9 alaska kenai peninsula places to stay for fishing.
- 10 Who offers multi-island guided birding trips in Hawaii?
- 11 Driving from Carmel to Incline Village on Wednesday
- 12 Sedona to Vegas
- 13 Traveling with an infant
- 14 A stop between St Louis and Little Rock
- 15 Is the California Zephyr really a once in a life time experience?
- 16 DC area hotel for end of June...
- 17 San Diego/La Jolla?
- 18 GRAND CIRCLE 1 week RV/Campervan
- 19 Empire Sate: best time; best vendor etcx
- 20 Yosemite Hike
- 21 Thanksgiving Road trip California
- 22 New York City to New Orleans Itinerary
- 23 Day Trip from Chicago Suburbs with Kids
- 24 Road trip from D.C. to Maine
- 25 Across country drive
yk ate her way through Portland, Maine in one weekend! June 2010