DH & I - in our mid/late 30s
Last weekend in June 2010
Instead of sitting home every weekend wondering what we *should* do, I've decided that we will explore a new part of New England, or a new section of Boston (where we live) every weekend. Portland seems a good overnight destination from Boston (~ 2 hrs' drive).
Research & Planning
There are very few trip reports here on Portland, Maine. Thankfully, dfrostnh recently was there and posted a most helpful TR (http://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/lazy-weekend-portlandogunquit-me.cfm ).
Other resources included a Fodors guidebook (Maine, Vermont & NH), Visit Portland website (http://www.visitportland.com/ ), Chowhound for restaurant ideas, and several magazine articles (which mostly focus on the food scene in Portland).
We ate A LOT on this trip (mostly excellent), but we also did quite a lot of sightseeing. Portland, while a city, is very compact. All tourist sights can be covered on foot. People are friendly and easy-going.
yk ate her way through Portland, Maine in one weekend! June 2010
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Kennebunkport and....?
- 2 Jersey City Parking
- 3 Spring Break in California: San Francisco, Yosemite and up the coast
- 4 Hotel recommendation for San Francisco
- 5 NYC apartments through CitySonnet.com
- 6 Best Glacier viewing (by boat) from Seward or Whittier
- 7 Travel West Coast
- 8 Cute towns in VIrginia for boutique shopping and restaurants
- 9 2 weeks in FL, Savannah and Charleston
- 10 recommended cheaper hotels around thanksgiving
- 11 An overnight stay in NYC to see 2 shows
- 12 Sampling Ethnic Las Vegas trip report
- 13 Colorado in the summer!
- 14 Where to go in Maine?
- 15 My Boston weekend...killing time near MGH
- 16 Alaska- cruise or land? and most scenic areas?
- 17 New York City Restaurants
- 18 Hotels in LA ... I know...how long is a piece of string type question...
- 19 traveling Amtrak cross country
- 20 Favorite Washington, DC restaurants
- 21 Napa Girls Getaway - Need hotel advice
- 22 Seeking advice from year round Tucson residents
- 23 Place for a drink where kids are allowed? An NYC question.
- 24 Grand Staircase Esclante National Monument
- 25 Grand Circle Itinerary Utah