DH & I - in our mid/late 30s
Last weekend in June 2010
Instead of sitting home every weekend wondering what we *should* do, I've decided that we will explore a new part of New England, or a new section of Boston (where we live) every weekend. Portland seems a good overnight destination from Boston (~ 2 hrs' drive).
Research & Planning
There are very few trip reports here on Portland, Maine. Thankfully, dfrostnh recently was there and posted a most helpful TR (http://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/lazy-weekend-portlandogunquit-me.cfm ).
Other resources included a Fodors guidebook (Maine, Vermont & NH), Visit Portland website (http://www.visitportland.com/ ), Chowhound for restaurant ideas, and several magazine articles (which mostly focus on the food scene in Portland).
We ate A LOT on this trip (mostly excellent), but we also did quite a lot of sightseeing. Portland, while a city, is very compact. All tourist sights can be covered on foot. People are friendly and easy-going.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Sarasota, Florida, good value hotels
- 2 Port Angelas -Vegas
- 3 Native and Natural Interests near the Grand Canyon
- 4 Road trip from North Carolina to Maine
- 5 Florida Beach Hotel
- 6 My road trip through southern US.
- 7 Florida Nature Trip
- 8 Late night eating in Kauai
- 9 help from a true New Yorker.
- 10 Washington DC with kids
- 11 4 days in wine country. Where should we stay?
- 12 Road trip through southern US states - must-see suggestions?
- 13 8 Days in Yellowstone/GTNP
- 14 Our House Has no Hot Tub - Where to Soak in Crested Butte
- 15 Help! Road Trip from Boulder to Oregon 2/2016
- 16 Safety Concerns
- 17 Bronx Help to visit hospital
- 18 Jul, Aug or Sept for California trip, which is preferable and why?
- 19 Alaska independent tour for group
- 20 Best 2 (or 3) Day Drive Between Phoenix & Palm Springs?
- 21 5 days in Colorado
- 22 Trip to northern California
- 23 Charleston+Kiawah+Asheville+?
- 24 40th in Key West
- 25 Downtown Chicago
yk ate her way through Portland, Maine in one weekend! June 2010