DH & I - in our mid/late 30s
Last weekend in June 2010
Instead of sitting home every weekend wondering what we *should* do, I've decided that we will explore a new part of New England, or a new section of Boston (where we live) every weekend. Portland seems a good overnight destination from Boston (~ 2 hrs' drive).
Research & Planning
There are very few trip reports here on Portland, Maine. Thankfully, dfrostnh recently was there and posted a most helpful TR (http://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/lazy-weekend-portlandogunquit-me.cfm ).
Other resources included a Fodors guidebook (Maine, Vermont & NH), Visit Portland website (http://www.visitportland.com/ ), Chowhound for restaurant ideas, and several magazine articles (which mostly focus on the food scene in Portland).
We ate A LOT on this trip (mostly excellent), but we also did quite a lot of sightseeing. Portland, while a city, is very compact. All tourist sights can be covered on foot. People are friendly and easy-going.
yk ate her way through Portland, Maine in one weekend! June 2010
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Queens, NY - Do not go
- 2 los angeles restaurants
- 3 Tipping advice
- 4 Charming,not too expensive restaurant recommendations needed
- 5 Avis Car rental Loss Damage Waiver LDW Fraud
- 6 Tuscon to Las Vegas Drive in December
- 7 5 Days in San Antonio and Austin Texas
- 8 From NY to Miami with 3 teenage kids
- 9 NW Houston restaurant help
- 10 After Chigago ? side trips- suggestions
- 11 Transportation from Newark airport to Secaucus
- 12 3 weeks in USA in February -- refined itinerary
- 13 Rules of the Sidewalk
- 14 Restaurant in NYC advice
- 15 USA New York City: First-time Visitors
- 16 Solo Female Traveller to New Orleans
- 17 San Diego Girl's Trip in December
- 18 Dad and daughter trip to Santa Fe
- 19 Wilmington, NC to Raleigh - Anything interesting to see in between?
- 20 charleston during Christmas Week
- 21 Fort Myers Beach vs Naples Beach
- 22 Advanced Reservations for USS Arizona Memorial Available Again
- 23 New Hawaii countdown for 2014-15
- 24 Hawaii Rental Cars - Book early
- 25 Boston, NYC or Chicago for 3rd weekend in March?