This board has been so helpful with tips and suggestions. I'm going to post my current itinerary up for everyone to dissect and make recommendations. We are a family of 5, kids will be 12, 11, and 11 next summer. This will be our first National Parks trip. We're fairly experienced road trippers.
The kids love animals and hotel pools
Day 1: Drive from Chicago to Sioux Falls, SD (9 hours/565 miles)
Day 2: Drive from Sioux Falls to Wall, SD (4 hours/292 miles).
Badlands NP - Buy Passport, get stamped
Spend night in Badlands NP? Or Wall?
Day 3 and 4:
Custer State Park - Check in to Legion Lodge - 2 nights?
Head to Wind Cave NP
Mammoth Dig Site
Drive to Cody, WY (7 hours/400 miles)
Day 6: Yellowstone NP Canyon Lodge
Day 7: Yellowstone NP Mammoth (Wild West Dinner, Roosevelt?)
Day 8: Yellowstone NP Mammoth
Day 9: Yellowstone NP Old Faithful
Day 10: Yellowstone NP Old Faithful
Day 11: Grand Tetons NP - Jackson Lodge
Day 12: Jackson (Snake River Raft?)
Day 13-14-15: Drive home
I'd especially love thoughts on the Yellowstone portion. We'll drive from Cody into Yellowstone on Day 6 (early). Then we'll stay in Yellowstone for five nights. How do you like my loop? I am not sure what we want to see in Yellowstone - all the "must dos" - but I'm not sure how they are laid out. I know it's a big park - so I want to divide up the sleeping so we don't have as much driving - and we have more time for hiking/observing.
I'd also love any input on the Wild West dinner and a snake river raft experience?
These are all firsts for us - so I'm having a hard time putting the planning together.
Thank you so much!
Yellowstone/Badlands trip, family of five, revised itinerary, June 2015
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 NYC to LA road trip - Buy or rent a car?
- 2 san fran sightseeing
- 3 Yellowstone in the winter?
- 4 Washington and Oregon Fall vacation 2015
- 5 Transportation from Newark to Midtown Hotel
- 6 NYC Department Store Windows for Christmas - Ready, Set, Go
- 7 Public transportation in Salem MA
- 8 Martha's Vineyard Sailing
- 9 Side Show is a must-see show on Broadway
- 10 Las Vegas to Grand Canyon, February
- 11 American Honeymoon in March
- 12 Best way to spend a few hours in Greater Los Angeles?
- 13 A trip to the SW: Not rushed, do it all, perfect time of year.
- 14 4 week family trip ideas
- 15 Public Transportation to DC and NY from Baltimore Area
- 16 Boston in winter?
- 17 best places to visit in winter through WV to North Carolina
- 18 Elephant Man Preview on Broadway with Bradley Cooper
- 19 Accommodation New Orleans LA
- 20 Transportation from Seattle to Vancouver BC
- 21 Philadelphia accommodation thoughts
- 22 San Diego/ Baja / Desert / Vegas/ Mexico
- 23 Gulf coast - Naples, Sanibel Island, Marco Island or Fort Meyers, which one
- 24 New Hawaii countdown for 2014-15
- 25 Did Interstates ruin travel in America?