This board has been so helpful with tips and suggestions. I'm going to post my current itinerary up for everyone to dissect and make recommendations. We are a family of 5, kids will be 12, 11, and 11 next summer. This will be our first National Parks trip. We're fairly experienced road trippers.
The kids love animals and hotel pools
Day 1: Drive from Chicago to Sioux Falls, SD (9 hours/565 miles)
Day 2: Drive from Sioux Falls to Wall, SD (4 hours/292 miles).
Badlands NP - Buy Passport, get stamped
Spend night in Badlands NP? Or Wall?
Day 3 and 4:
Custer State Park - Check in to Legion Lodge - 2 nights?
Head to Wind Cave NP
Mammoth Dig Site
Drive to Cody, WY (7 hours/400 miles)
Day 6: Yellowstone NP Canyon Lodge
Day 7: Yellowstone NP Mammoth (Wild West Dinner, Roosevelt?)
Day 8: Yellowstone NP Mammoth
Day 9: Yellowstone NP Old Faithful
Day 10: Yellowstone NP Old Faithful
Day 11: Grand Tetons NP - Jackson Lodge
Day 12: Jackson (Snake River Raft?)
Day 13-14-15: Drive home
I'd especially love thoughts on the Yellowstone portion. We'll drive from Cody into Yellowstone on Day 6 (early). Then we'll stay in Yellowstone for five nights. How do you like my loop? I am not sure what we want to see in Yellowstone - all the "must dos" - but I'm not sure how they are laid out. I know it's a big park - so I want to divide up the sleeping so we don't have as much driving - and we have more time for hiking/observing.
I'd also love any input on the Wild West dinner and a snake river raft experience?
These are all firsts for us - so I'm having a hard time putting the planning together.
Thank you so much!
Yellowstone/Badlands trip, family of five, revised itinerary, June 2015
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 san fran sightseeing
- 2 Public Transportation to DC and NY from Baltimore Area
- 3 Philadelphia accommodation thoughts
- 4 Boston in winter?
- 5 Transportation from Seattle to Vancouver BC
- 6 Best way to spend a few hours in Greater Los Angeles?
- 7 Need beach location for summer family reunion.
- 8 Help?! I-40 or I-20 across Southeast US this week? (Construction delays?)
- 9 A trip to the SW: Not rushed, do it all, perfect time of year.
- 10 New York City in April
- 11 Baytown, Texas
- 12 A Week in Naples Florida--Much Ado About Food (and Wine)
- 13 Moving from VA to CT
- 14 New Orleans pictures
- 15 Yellowstone in the winter?
- 16 Colonial williamsburg Lodge at Christmas
- 17 Boston Trip to BU from Chicago (and reply to advice)
- 18 Thanksgiving in Manhattan
- 19 American Honeymoon in March
- 20 Is It Possible - One Post for MT, UT, WY in a Week?
- 21 Big Bend National Park - 3 days January itinerary?
- 22 Young Couple Needs Apartment Rental Advice in/around Orlando
- 23 Dining in Manhattan
- 24 Fastest and Safest (least snow) X-Country Route from Lake Tahoe to NC?
- 25 Manhattan Marriott Property December