We are a family of five. After numerous trips to Disney, we're ready to start touring the national parks.
We have 11 days for this trip (I wanted two weeks, but we have a family obligation in Sheboygan, WI, which eats up a couple of our days).
Since I've never seen any of these sites - I'd love to get some idea of time needed to see these places. Also, which you might drop. Our kids will be 10, 10, and 11. One of my girls is a HUGE animal kid.
Preliminary Itinerary - Please hack this up and offer any opinions!:
Day 1: Drive from Sheboygan to Mitchell, SD (Good stopping point?)
Day 2: Drive to/through Badlands. Buy NP passports. Do short hikes? How long would we spend at Badlands? Half a day? Drive to Wall for lunch and Wall Drug? There is also a missile site and a prairie dog town to see? Maybe in the afternoon? Where to spend the night?
Day 3: Mount Rushmore - How long? One day? Half a day? Where to spend the night? Wind Cave? Mammoth Springs (is this where the dig site is?)? Again, where to spend the night?
Maybe Day 3 is Mount Rushmore and Day 4 is Wind Cave and Mammoth Springs? What about Custer state park? And Jewel Cave?
Day 5: Drive to Yellowstone (should we change up the order here - so we can go to Yellowstone through the northeast entrance? We can always hit some things on the way home.
Days 6-8: Yellowstone
Day 9: Grand Tetons?
Day 10-11: drive home to Chicago
I feel like I wish we could get one more day in Yellowstone - but I'm not sure what to cut/what the timing is on some of those "on the way" attractions.
Oh - We're thinking of this summer - 2014, which I realize is late to plan - but I'm still hoping we can get in Yellowstone lodging for those nights.
Yellowstone/Badlands trip, family of five, help with itinerary?
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Monterey and Napa
- 2 New York City with 3 teens!! Need help!!!
- 3 Nantucket, Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard and/or Boston Honeymoon
- 4 Rittenhouse restaurants?
- 5 New England in the fall
- 6 Scenic Route from Washington, DC to NC Outer Banks
- 7 Need Bryce Canyon Advice
- 8 National Forrest Service - Photography Restrictions
- 9 Weekend in Indianapolis, any pretty drives you can suggest?
- 10 Looking for Next Destination
- 11 Worst Restaurants in America
- 12 Boston: Hamersly's closing
- 13 Salem public transportation- how early or late??
- 14 Zion NP - Grand Canyon North Rim - Las Vegas
- 15 Halloween in California on Hwy 1
- 16 Fall color yet?
- 17 Megabus, Tripper, or Boltbus from Wash DC to NYC. Which one is better?
- 18 Yosemite Lodging
- 19 Don't rent from Avis Car Rental
- 20 Steakhouse Suggestion in Boston Please
- 21 Sequoia and King's Canyon NP Lodging options
- 22 Lucerne Switzerland for two days in september 2015
- 23 Activities in Maui and Kauai.....Please Help!
- 24 N California trip questions
- 25 Colorado aspen updates