We are a family of five. After numerous trips to Disney, we're ready to start touring the national parks.
We have 11 days for this trip (I wanted two weeks, but we have a family obligation in Sheboygan, WI, which eats up a couple of our days).
Since I've never seen any of these sites - I'd love to get some idea of time needed to see these places. Also, which you might drop. Our kids will be 10, 10, and 11. One of my girls is a HUGE animal kid.
Preliminary Itinerary - Please hack this up and offer any opinions!:
Day 1: Drive from Sheboygan to Mitchell, SD (Good stopping point?)
Day 2: Drive to/through Badlands. Buy NP passports. Do short hikes? How long would we spend at Badlands? Half a day? Drive to Wall for lunch and Wall Drug? There is also a missile site and a prairie dog town to see? Maybe in the afternoon? Where to spend the night?
Day 3: Mount Rushmore - How long? One day? Half a day? Where to spend the night? Wind Cave? Mammoth Springs (is this where the dig site is?)? Again, where to spend the night?
Maybe Day 3 is Mount Rushmore and Day 4 is Wind Cave and Mammoth Springs? What about Custer state park? And Jewel Cave?
Day 5: Drive to Yellowstone (should we change up the order here - so we can go to Yellowstone through the northeast entrance? We can always hit some things on the way home.
Days 6-8: Yellowstone
Day 9: Grand Tetons?
Day 10-11: drive home to Chicago
I feel like I wish we could get one more day in Yellowstone - but I'm not sure what to cut/what the timing is on some of those "on the way" attractions.
Oh - We're thinking of this summer - 2014, which I realize is late to plan - but I'm still hoping we can get in Yellowstone lodging for those nights.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Las vegas hotel off the beaten path
- 2 HAWAII- best islands at xmas time
- 3 Recent Spam Attacks
- 4 I95 or I81 to Florida from NJ on Memorial Day Weekend Friday?
- 5 Is the power adapter plug necessary
- 6 Family trip Las Vegas to Zion, Bryce, Page, GC and Sedona?
- 7 Miami airport--safety??
- 8 US whole month of January where to
- 9 Road Trip-San Francisco and Los Angeles
- 10 San Fran & Monterey Bay with Tweens
- 11 Looking for advice on my hitchhike trip plan
- 12 Central Coast CA kayaking?
- 13 NEW ORLEANS AND CAJUN COUNTRY...A WEEK-LONG FOOD QUEST
- 14 Heading to Asheville, NC
- 15 Driving from Glacier National Park to Hood River
- 16 Pacific Grove for 5 or 6 nights
- 17 UC Santa Barbara hotels
- 18 Baltimore Weekend
- 19 Dinosaur National Monument
- 20 Drive from Ohio to NYC
- 21 Road trip LA to Phoenix via Grand Canyon
- 22 Boston hotel in May - Suburb and using the T-line
- 23 Is Yosemite worth going too in July?
- 24 Rocky Mountain road trip
- 25 Things to do in Toronto
Yellowstone/Badlands trip, family of five, help with itinerary?