We are a family of five. After numerous trips to Disney, we're ready to start touring the national parks.
We have 11 days for this trip (I wanted two weeks, but we have a family obligation in Sheboygan, WI, which eats up a couple of our days).
Since I've never seen any of these sites - I'd love to get some idea of time needed to see these places. Also, which you might drop. Our kids will be 10, 10, and 11. One of my girls is a HUGE animal kid.
Preliminary Itinerary - Please hack this up and offer any opinions!:
Day 1: Drive from Sheboygan to Mitchell, SD (Good stopping point?)
Day 2: Drive to/through Badlands. Buy NP passports. Do short hikes? How long would we spend at Badlands? Half a day? Drive to Wall for lunch and Wall Drug? There is also a missile site and a prairie dog town to see? Maybe in the afternoon? Where to spend the night?
Day 3: Mount Rushmore - How long? One day? Half a day? Where to spend the night? Wind Cave? Mammoth Springs (is this where the dig site is?)? Again, where to spend the night?
Maybe Day 3 is Mount Rushmore and Day 4 is Wind Cave and Mammoth Springs? What about Custer state park? And Jewel Cave?
Day 5: Drive to Yellowstone (should we change up the order here - so we can go to Yellowstone through the northeast entrance? We can always hit some things on the way home.
Days 6-8: Yellowstone
Day 9: Grand Tetons?
Day 10-11: drive home to Chicago
I feel like I wish we could get one more day in Yellowstone - but I'm not sure what to cut/what the timing is on some of those "on the way" attractions.
Oh - We're thinking of this summer - 2014, which I realize is late to plan - but I'm still hoping we can get in Yellowstone lodging for those nights.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Help with first time
- 2 Thousand Islands - Must Dos
- 3 Discounted Rental Car?
- 4 San Francisco to Monterey Bay Time?
- 5 2-day pass through trip in Glacier & Waterton National Park
- 6 Crowd levels in Pigeon Forge/Sevierville
- 7 A day at Franconia Notch State Park and White Mountain National Forest
- 8 Boston thru New Hampshire to Quebec City
- 9 Best Fly-fishing in July
- 10 San Francisco Itinerary help
- 11 Colorado Winter Wedding Venue
- 12 Road Trip From IA to Niagara Falls
- 13 Lodge at Torrey Pines or Hilton Torrey Pines?
- 14 Best City/Place to stopover between Seattle & San Francisco
- 15 SW Colorado and Moab, UT
- 16 Chicago, Illinois: Where to stay? Do you need a car?
- 17 Would appreciate help choosing NYC hotel for Aug/Sept visit.
- 18 Cape Cod in September with toddler
- 19 BYOB in New York City
- 20 1st Visit to USA with kids in Jul-Aug, SFO,LA,SD & LAS - 21 days. Need Help
- 21 Alaska cruise round trip from Seattle - need a passport?
- 22 Inexpensive family getaways
- 23 Advice Road trip 15 days California Grand Canyon
- 24 Last minute: late lunch near Neue Gallerie?
- 25 Plymouth or Cape Code/NEED help
Yellowstone/Badlands trip, family of five, help with itinerary?