We are a family of five. After numerous trips to Disney, we're ready to start touring the national parks.
We have 11 days for this trip (I wanted two weeks, but we have a family obligation in Sheboygan, WI, which eats up a couple of our days).
Since I've never seen any of these sites - I'd love to get some idea of time needed to see these places. Also, which you might drop. Our kids will be 10, 10, and 11. One of my girls is a HUGE animal kid.
Preliminary Itinerary - Please hack this up and offer any opinions!:
Day 1: Drive from Sheboygan to Mitchell, SD (Good stopping point?)
Day 2: Drive to/through Badlands. Buy NP passports. Do short hikes? How long would we spend at Badlands? Half a day? Drive to Wall for lunch and Wall Drug? There is also a missile site and a prairie dog town to see? Maybe in the afternoon? Where to spend the night?
Day 3: Mount Rushmore - How long? One day? Half a day? Where to spend the night? Wind Cave? Mammoth Springs (is this where the dig site is?)? Again, where to spend the night?
Maybe Day 3 is Mount Rushmore and Day 4 is Wind Cave and Mammoth Springs? What about Custer state park? And Jewel Cave?
Day 5: Drive to Yellowstone (should we change up the order here - so we can go to Yellowstone through the northeast entrance? We can always hit some things on the way home.
Days 6-8: Yellowstone
Day 9: Grand Tetons?
Day 10-11: drive home to Chicago
I feel like I wish we could get one more day in Yellowstone - but I'm not sure what to cut/what the timing is on some of those "on the way" attractions.
Oh - We're thinking of this summer - 2014, which I realize is late to plan - but I'm still hoping we can get in Yellowstone lodging for those nights.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Vermont/New Hampshire
- 2 WestInn Times Sq. eating and transport options please
- 3 Southern Cali itinerary help
- 4 Pacific coast road trip
- 5 Maine
- 6 5 nights/6 days in Honolulu during Thanksgiving
- 7 Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown and Yorktown in 1 day
- 8 New York City Transportation Experts - this one is for you!
- 9 MANN FAMILY FARM- BOLINAS CA: Do You Know This Area?
- 10 Hotel suggestions San Francisco
- 11 NYC Suggestions - Six Week Trip…?
- 12 Quick out of Atlanta Get Away with the Kids... New Orleans? Miami?
- 13 Where to stay in Kansas City MO/What to do
- 14 Yellowstone/Grand Teton,feeric but turists and Xanterra need improvement
- 15 NYC - Sargent - Sorolla
- 16 San Francisco to LA, road or rail?
- 17 Coronado, La Jolla, or Other?
- 18 Overnight between Mt. Rushmore & YNP?
- 19 Wknd getaway within 2 hours of Denver
- 20 ALASKA - 10 + DAYS
- 21 Berkshires-AARP Central
- 22 Austin with Kids
- 23 Arriving EWR- which flight should I choose based on traffic to Manhattan
- 24 Neighborhood Visiting Atlanta w/o a Car
- 25 Areas to Stay in Boston
Yellowstone/Badlands trip, family of five, help with itinerary?