We are a family of five. After numerous trips to Disney, we're ready to start touring the national parks.
We have 11 days for this trip (I wanted two weeks, but we have a family obligation in Sheboygan, WI, which eats up a couple of our days).
Since I've never seen any of these sites - I'd love to get some idea of time needed to see these places. Also, which you might drop. Our kids will be 10, 10, and 11. One of my girls is a HUGE animal kid.
Preliminary Itinerary - Please hack this up and offer any opinions!:
Day 1: Drive from Sheboygan to Mitchell, SD (Good stopping point?)
Day 2: Drive to/through Badlands. Buy NP passports. Do short hikes? How long would we spend at Badlands? Half a day? Drive to Wall for lunch and Wall Drug? There is also a missile site and a prairie dog town to see? Maybe in the afternoon? Where to spend the night?
Day 3: Mount Rushmore - How long? One day? Half a day? Where to spend the night? Wind Cave? Mammoth Springs (is this where the dig site is?)? Again, where to spend the night?
Maybe Day 3 is Mount Rushmore and Day 4 is Wind Cave and Mammoth Springs? What about Custer state park? And Jewel Cave?
Day 5: Drive to Yellowstone (should we change up the order here - so we can go to Yellowstone through the northeast entrance? We can always hit some things on the way home.
Days 6-8: Yellowstone
Day 9: Grand Tetons?
Day 10-11: drive home to Chicago
I feel like I wish we could get one more day in Yellowstone - but I'm not sure what to cut/what the timing is on some of those "on the way" attractions.
Oh - We're thinking of this summer - 2014, which I realize is late to plan - but I'm still hoping we can get in Yellowstone lodging for those nights.
Yellowstone/Badlands trip, family of five, help with itinerary?
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Arthritis and Humidity where to live?
- 2 A trip to the SW: Not rushed, do it all, perfect time of year.
- 3 Cafe Sevilla – Best Tapas Restaurant
- 4 Dining in Manhattan
- 5 New York City Christmas Trip
- 6 Chicago- The Godfrey hotel or the Hotel Burnham????
- 7 From Seattle airport to the city
- 8 Las Vegas to Grand Canyon, February
- 9 Washington - North cascades trails (Goat Lake and others) okay in winter?
- 10 Colorado Skiing
- 11 American Honeymoon in March
- 12 Is It Possible - One Post for MT, UT, WY in a Week?
- 13 ideas for roadtrip through Utah, Idaho, Wyoming and Colorado
- 14 Craft Beer & Delicious Food in Vegas
- 15 A Week in Naples Florida--Much Ado About Food (and Wine)
- 16 Road Trip to Montana, Wyoming, Idaho & Oregon
- 17 need two stop-overs from LA to Santa Fe, NM
- 18 golf and fishing recommendations in Tampa area
- 19 Recomendations for outlets in miami and hotels in orlando
- 20 Northern West Coast Road Trip
- 21 Yellowstone in the winter?
- 22 To San Francisco for 8 days
- 23 Middle America in October
- 24 visit to HIghLine
- 25 Please Recommend Florida Gulf Coast Beach Towns to Live