We are a family of five. After numerous trips to Disney, we're ready to start touring the national parks.
We have 11 days for this trip (I wanted two weeks, but we have a family obligation in Sheboygan, WI, which eats up a couple of our days).
Since I've never seen any of these sites - I'd love to get some idea of time needed to see these places. Also, which you might drop. Our kids will be 10, 10, and 11. One of my girls is a HUGE animal kid.
Preliminary Itinerary - Please hack this up and offer any opinions!:
Day 1: Drive from Sheboygan to Mitchell, SD (Good stopping point?)
Day 2: Drive to/through Badlands. Buy NP passports. Do short hikes? How long would we spend at Badlands? Half a day? Drive to Wall for lunch and Wall Drug? There is also a missile site and a prairie dog town to see? Maybe in the afternoon? Where to spend the night?
Day 3: Mount Rushmore - How long? One day? Half a day? Where to spend the night? Wind Cave? Mammoth Springs (is this where the dig site is?)? Again, where to spend the night?
Maybe Day 3 is Mount Rushmore and Day 4 is Wind Cave and Mammoth Springs? What about Custer state park? And Jewel Cave?
Day 5: Drive to Yellowstone (should we change up the order here - so we can go to Yellowstone through the northeast entrance? We can always hit some things on the way home.
Days 6-8: Yellowstone
Day 9: Grand Tetons?
Day 10-11: drive home to Chicago
I feel like I wish we could get one more day in Yellowstone - but I'm not sure what to cut/what the timing is on some of those "on the way" attractions.
Oh - We're thinking of this summer - 2014, which I realize is late to plan - but I'm still hoping we can get in Yellowstone lodging for those nights.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Itinerary Advice for SLC - Moab - Zion
- 2 The Big Island, Kauai, and Maui: A Songdoc Trip Report
- 3 Monterey whale watching
- 4 One afternoon and evening to kill in San Fran
- 5 Ideas for 2 day/1 night Oct. side trip from NYC
- 6 Coast Starlight Amtrak
- 7 After FL and CA, where else in the US with a 7-year-old?
- 8 Aug Weekend Colorado - Stay in Carbondale, Snowmass or Redstone
- 9 Highway 1 motels
- 10 Rocky Mountain National Park/Estes Park
- 11 Pittsburgh Trip
- 12 Another Quick NYC Trip - Food Ideas?
- 13 Best Movie/TV Studio tours in LA..adults
- 14 Where to stop from Litchfield Beach to Sharpsburg, Maryland
- 15 Kauai Eats... Recommendations??
- 16 11 days SE coast road trip
- 17 Wknd getaway within 2 hours of Denver
- 18 1.5 days in Chicago
- 19 The New Whitney
- 20 Another Trip to DC for baseball!
- 21 Car Hire Alamo
- 22 NYC - Sargent - Sorolla
- 23 Should we skip Yosemite?
- 24 Running kissimmee Florida
- 25 Mendocino Hiking
Yellowstone/Badlands trip, family of five, help with itinerary?