We are a family of five. After numerous trips to Disney, we're ready to start touring the national parks.
We have 11 days for this trip (I wanted two weeks, but we have a family obligation in Sheboygan, WI, which eats up a couple of our days).
Since I've never seen any of these sites - I'd love to get some idea of time needed to see these places. Also, which you might drop. Our kids will be 10, 10, and 11. One of my girls is a HUGE animal kid.
Preliminary Itinerary - Please hack this up and offer any opinions!:
Day 1: Drive from Sheboygan to Mitchell, SD (Good stopping point?)
Day 2: Drive to/through Badlands. Buy NP passports. Do short hikes? How long would we spend at Badlands? Half a day? Drive to Wall for lunch and Wall Drug? There is also a missile site and a prairie dog town to see? Maybe in the afternoon? Where to spend the night?
Day 3: Mount Rushmore - How long? One day? Half a day? Where to spend the night? Wind Cave? Mammoth Springs (is this where the dig site is?)? Again, where to spend the night?
Maybe Day 3 is Mount Rushmore and Day 4 is Wind Cave and Mammoth Springs? What about Custer state park? And Jewel Cave?
Day 5: Drive to Yellowstone (should we change up the order here - so we can go to Yellowstone through the northeast entrance? We can always hit some things on the way home.
Days 6-8: Yellowstone
Day 9: Grand Tetons?
Day 10-11: drive home to Chicago
I feel like I wish we could get one more day in Yellowstone - but I'm not sure what to cut/what the timing is on some of those "on the way" attractions.
Oh - We're thinking of this summer - 2014, which I realize is late to plan - but I'm still hoping we can get in Yellowstone lodging for those nights.
Yellowstone/Badlands trip, family of five, help with itinerary?
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Salt Lake City
- 2 Renting a condo in Florida in January
- 3 Cost of hotels in major cities of the USA
- 4 8 day honeymoon around Leavenworth and Seattle
- 5 Boston Marathon spectator questions
- 6 First visit in New Mexico
- 7 Kennebunkport, Cape Cod or Martha's Vineyard
- 8 Is Hwy 59/389 an alternate for hwy 9
- 9 Whcih is the best fashion store chain
- 10 Scottsdale, Sedona, Grand Canyon
- 11 Beach holiday with baby
- 12 Mukilteo to Whidbey Is. via Deception Pass & a ferry return??
- 13 Chicago Information Need for a Possible Trip
- 14 Another Key West trip in the books!
- 15 Carlsbad Cavern area - New Mexico ... Lodging
- 16 Please help with four days in Boston-Cambridge-Salem
- 17 What is the best place to spend in summers in Texas?
- 18 Italian cookies in Minneapolis area
- 19 Lodging between Edenton NC and Washington DC?
- 20 Getting from Washington DC to Dulles airport, quickest way possible
- 21 Quick NYC trip review: Girls Gone Wild Part Deux
- 22 Thoughts for two 14 yr old boys who enjoy NYC,Chicago/sneakers.
- 23 Bears and Traps. Our Grand Alaska Sea & Land Tour
- 24 Help planning vacation to Vancouver, Seattle & San Juan Islands
- 25 Savannah GA