We are a family of five. After numerous trips to Disney, we're ready to start touring the national parks.
We have 11 days for this trip (I wanted two weeks, but we have a family obligation in Sheboygan, WI, which eats up a couple of our days).
Since I've never seen any of these sites - I'd love to get some idea of time needed to see these places. Also, which you might drop. Our kids will be 10, 10, and 11. One of my girls is a HUGE animal kid.
Preliminary Itinerary - Please hack this up and offer any opinions!:
Day 1: Drive from Sheboygan to Mitchell, SD (Good stopping point?)
Day 2: Drive to/through Badlands. Buy NP passports. Do short hikes? How long would we spend at Badlands? Half a day? Drive to Wall for lunch and Wall Drug? There is also a missile site and a prairie dog town to see? Maybe in the afternoon? Where to spend the night?
Day 3: Mount Rushmore - How long? One day? Half a day? Where to spend the night? Wind Cave? Mammoth Springs (is this where the dig site is?)? Again, where to spend the night?
Maybe Day 3 is Mount Rushmore and Day 4 is Wind Cave and Mammoth Springs? What about Custer state park? And Jewel Cave?
Day 5: Drive to Yellowstone (should we change up the order here - so we can go to Yellowstone through the northeast entrance? We can always hit some things on the way home.
Days 6-8: Yellowstone
Day 9: Grand Tetons?
Day 10-11: drive home to Chicago
I feel like I wish we could get one more day in Yellowstone - but I'm not sure what to cut/what the timing is on some of those "on the way" attractions.
Oh - We're thinking of this summer - 2014, which I realize is late to plan - but I'm still hoping we can get in Yellowstone lodging for those nights.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Road trip from D.C. to Maine
- 2 http://comaarp.org/edge-bioactives-spartagen-xt/
- 3 Yosemite Hike
- 4 Across country drive
- 5 http://www.fitwaypoint.com/inherent-beauty-serum/
- 6 http://comaarp.org/edge-bioactives-spartagen-xt/
- 7 http://trycognimaxiq.com/biomanix/
- 8 3rd Attempt - Road Trip Utah June 2016
- 9 http://www.healthyminimarket.com/tinnitus-control/
- 10 Thanksgiving Road trip California
- 11 DC area hotel for end of June...
- 12 bad traffic on 476 in PA memorial day weekend
- 13 Driving from Carmel to Incline Village on Wednesday
- 14 Empire Sate: best time; best vendor etcx
- 15 Restaurants in DC
- 16 Christmas at Grand Canyon
- 17 Nashville restaurants
- 18 Western US Road Trip- PeakBagging
- 19 Is Silverwood Amusement park worth a visit?
- 20 Early 30's Couple Spending Two Weeks in Coastal Maine and Canada
- 21 NYC - 10-day visit!!!
- 22 Driving northern AL to central FL
- 23 Uber Ride from LV to South Rim, Grand Canyon?
- 24 MO road trip itinerary
- 25 Late winter road trip Deep South
Yellowstone/Badlands trip, family of five, help with itinerary?