We are a family of five. After numerous trips to Disney, we're ready to start touring the national parks.
We have 11 days for this trip (I wanted two weeks, but we have a family obligation in Sheboygan, WI, which eats up a couple of our days).
Since I've never seen any of these sites - I'd love to get some idea of time needed to see these places. Also, which you might drop. Our kids will be 10, 10, and 11. One of my girls is a HUGE animal kid.
Preliminary Itinerary - Please hack this up and offer any opinions!:
Day 1: Drive from Sheboygan to Mitchell, SD (Good stopping point?)
Day 2: Drive to/through Badlands. Buy NP passports. Do short hikes? How long would we spend at Badlands? Half a day? Drive to Wall for lunch and Wall Drug? There is also a missile site and a prairie dog town to see? Maybe in the afternoon? Where to spend the night?
Day 3: Mount Rushmore - How long? One day? Half a day? Where to spend the night? Wind Cave? Mammoth Springs (is this where the dig site is?)? Again, where to spend the night?
Maybe Day 3 is Mount Rushmore and Day 4 is Wind Cave and Mammoth Springs? What about Custer state park? And Jewel Cave?
Day 5: Drive to Yellowstone (should we change up the order here - so we can go to Yellowstone through the northeast entrance? We can always hit some things on the way home.
Days 6-8: Yellowstone
Day 9: Grand Tetons?
Day 10-11: drive home to Chicago
I feel like I wish we could get one more day in Yellowstone - but I'm not sure what to cut/what the timing is on some of those "on the way" attractions.
Oh - We're thinking of this summer - 2014, which I realize is late to plan - but I'm still hoping we can get in Yellowstone lodging for those nights.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 8 Days in Yellowstone/GTNP
- 2 Driving from NY to Boston in February
- 3 What to do in San Diego
- 4 Our Boston Getaway
- 5 http://www.getsunergetics.com/elysian-natural-daily-revitalizer/
- 6 Transport LGA to Grand Central
- 7 Help! Road Trip from Boulder to Oregon 2/2016
- 8 Las Vegas and Area - Nature and Hiking
- 9 Accomodation in NYC under USD150/
- 10 San Francisco during Super Bowl week
- 11 Whale Watching in Kauai
- 12 Another great trip to 4 Corners area
- 13 40th in Key West
- 14 What to do in New York?
- 15 When do school start again in August?
- 16 Havasu Falls/Grand Canyon Hike
- 17 Disney for Florida residents
- 18 Charleston+Kiawah+Asheville+?
- 19 Yosemite
- 20 DNA test re: ancestry - had it done?
- 21 8-Hour Napali Fishing Charter with Kids?
- 22 Summer Vaca Destination for families driving from Michigan and Georgia?
- 23 California + Las Vegas & Grand Canyon for 12-15 Day Trip in May
- 24 Must Sees in San Francisco
- 25 3/31-5/29 New Tracy Letts Play!
Yellowstone/Badlands trip, family of five, help with itinerary?