We are a family of five. After numerous trips to Disney, we're ready to start touring the national parks.
We have 11 days for this trip (I wanted two weeks, but we have a family obligation in Sheboygan, WI, which eats up a couple of our days).
Since I've never seen any of these sites - I'd love to get some idea of time needed to see these places. Also, which you might drop. Our kids will be 10, 10, and 11. One of my girls is a HUGE animal kid.
Preliminary Itinerary - Please hack this up and offer any opinions!:
Day 1: Drive from Sheboygan to Mitchell, SD (Good stopping point?)
Day 2: Drive to/through Badlands. Buy NP passports. Do short hikes? How long would we spend at Badlands? Half a day? Drive to Wall for lunch and Wall Drug? There is also a missile site and a prairie dog town to see? Maybe in the afternoon? Where to spend the night?
Day 3: Mount Rushmore - How long? One day? Half a day? Where to spend the night? Wind Cave? Mammoth Springs (is this where the dig site is?)? Again, where to spend the night?
Maybe Day 3 is Mount Rushmore and Day 4 is Wind Cave and Mammoth Springs? What about Custer state park? And Jewel Cave?
Day 5: Drive to Yellowstone (should we change up the order here - so we can go to Yellowstone through the northeast entrance? We can always hit some things on the way home.
Days 6-8: Yellowstone
Day 9: Grand Tetons?
Day 10-11: drive home to Chicago
I feel like I wish we could get one more day in Yellowstone - but I'm not sure what to cut/what the timing is on some of those "on the way" attractions.
Oh - We're thinking of this summer - 2014, which I realize is late to plan - but I'm still hoping we can get in Yellowstone lodging for those nights.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Traveling into the US with Alcohol
- 2 yosemite -grand canyon- bryce and zion
- 3 Clear Roads From Seattle to Omaha 12-9-16?
- 4 Disappointed with Budget Car Rental Las Vegas
- 5 DIA to Estes Park in mid-Feb. 4x4?
- 6 Last minute Keys Trip Advice Please
- 7 Ideas for New York
- 8 Sedona v Scottsdale?
- 9 Lodging outside of Yellowstone
- 10 EWR to Midtown Manhattan
- 11 IAH to HOU Questions
- 12 Road Trip from Washington DC to Asheville NC
- 13 Honeymoon Trip to California
- 14 No Spam this morning!!
- 15 Jazzfest side trips
- 16 17' uhaul from seattle wa to San Antonio Texas
- 17 75th Anniversary of Pearl Harbor Attack Events
- 18 Best Kids' Skiing <3 hours from Chicago?
- 19 Best/Cheapest way to get to Copper Mtn, CO?
- 20 San Francisco transit options
- 21 Road Trip From Central PA TO CA (LA, California)
- 22 "Unique" New York City Experiences-Yours
- 23 Pittsburgh to Richmond - Possible Routes?
- 24 Photos from Glacier National Park October 2016
- 25 East Nashville or Hillsboro Village
Yellowstone/Badlands trip, family of five, help with itinerary?