1) Brooks Falls in Katmai National Park, where bears catch salmon that jump up the falls
2) Katmai Coast with Katmai Coastal Tours-Kukak Bay and Hallo Bay. The wolves were seen in Hallo Bay. I previously traveled with John Rogers’ Katmai Coastal Tours in 2008 and here is a link to the detailed report containing photos. Obviously I was a satisfied customer to return. I’m still a satisfied customer.
3) Island of Kodiak—what a gem this place is for nature activities
I planned to do the following itinerary using major airlines and float planes arranged by Brooks Lodge and Katmai Coastal Tours as part of their standard packages. For a solo traveler with FF miles, this routing made the most sense economically.
July 12 Depart Chicago to Anchorage via Seattle with evening arrival & o/nt at Barratt Inn, near airport in Anchorage
(American Advantage miles provided a free round trip to Kodiak that allowed a stop in Anchorage followed by a departure several days later to Kodiak.)
July 13 Penn Air Anchorage to King Salmon and Katmai Air King Salmon to Brooks Falls & o/nt Brooks cabin. All flights between Anchorage and Brooks are arranged by Brooks Lodge, Katmailand Inc., as part of the Brooks Falls visit.
July 14, 15 Brooks Falls bear viewing
July 16 Katmai Air from Brooks to King Salmon, Penn Air King Salmon to Anchorage & o/nt at Barratt Inn
July 17 Alaska Air Anchorage to Kodiak on an early am flight allowing for hiking in Kodiak and Galley Gourmet Dinner Cruise & o/nt A Downtown B&B
July 18 Kayaking & o/nt A Downtown B&B
July 19-21 Andrews Air to Kittiwake (boat) from Kodiak, air arranged by John Rogers of Katmai Coastal for 3 nts bear viewing along the coast of Katmai. Andrews picks up and drops off clients from Kodiak lodging.
July 22 Andrews Air to Kodiak & o/nt at A Downtown B&B, afternoon hike
July 23 Kayaking and early evening departure on Alaska Air via Anchorage to Chicago.
July 24 Morning arrival in Chicago.
Wolf Pups & Other Wonders of Katmai and Kodiak, Alaska
- 1 dog friendly hotels websites--any others than bringfido.com?
- 2 Creating restaurant list for San Francisco - new ones??
- 3 San Francisco Hotel Help
- 4 Which Florida Key to snorkel?
- 5 Any additions to my general plan for 2 night stay in Jacksonville (no car)?
- 6 Hollywood with 17yr old son
- 7 Fun restaurants in New Orleans
- 8 South Lake Tahoe (end of December 2013)
- 9 Seniors need help with itinerary for grandkids!
- 10 Warm and don't Drive
- 11 The impossible dream: Bypassing I-95 between DC and Richmond
- 12 Train from Boston to Rockport?
- 13 San Diego Desert Trip in January
- 14 Rockport, MA dining?
- 15 Charlotte Area Suggestions
- 16 Princeville in January
- 17 7 weeks Canada and USA. Help with itinerary please.
- 18 Roadtrip New Orleans, Vicksburg, Montgomery, Mobile, New Orleans
- 19 UK passport to travel from US to Thailand
- 20 Roads Open to Estes Park
- 21 Best Cirque du Soleil show in Vegas 14 and 11 yo boys?
- 22 Help! Travel plans to USA West Coast
- 23 RIP Judy Rogers
- 24 No high rises, low key natural area with water access in SW Fla
- 25 BASEBALL SPRING TRAINING-SCOTTSDALE