This is an exciting adventure for those new to rafting or the most seasoned rafters. The two most popular rivers which are in very close proximity to each other are the New River and the Gauley River. The New River is the second oldest river in the world. It flows from south to north often taking some steep vertical drops. It is in the center of the New River Gorge and is lined with coal mines and ghost towns. Tons of history and scenery along the ride. The Upper New is great for family vacations or the more timid rafters. It can be used as a warmp up for the other rivers. The Lower New River runs all spring and summer. It has rapids from Class I-IV and is very exciting and lots of fun. The Gauley is a rold class rafting river one of the top 10 in the world. Beginners should start on the Lower Gauley before going to the Upper. Rapids range from class II though V (class VI not being passible). It runs for only six weeks in September and October due to it being a Dam release from Summersville Lake being lowered to winter pool. I enjoyed rafting so much that I became a guide...driving 500 miles RT every other weekend to guide. There a numerous companies that offer trips and packages, I work for one, but have found all are reputable and fair. Pricing is fairly consistent between all. While copetative, there is much comradary on the river. WV law regulates the companies so safety is at the top of the list for all companies. If your interested in more details, please e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org. West Virginia is often overlooked as a great vacation place for the outdoor enthusiast...its beauty and affordability need more recognition.
WHITEWATER RAFTING IN WEST VIRGINIA
View all United States activity »
- 1 San Francisco Hotel Help
- 2 How to safely transport a newborn baby in downtown Chicago without your own car?
- 3 Staying at the Omni in downtown austin. Anywhere to park cheaper?
- 4 Wailea Maui Restaurants
- 5 Disney Florida - Which parks to go for 1.5 days?
- 6 Traveling the U.S. by car for a long time!
- 7 RIP Judy Rogers
- 8 Fun restaurants in New Orleans
- 9 Road trip across the USA - looking for suggestions.
- 10 Boston area
- 11 Savanah Sojourn
- 12 10 day Hawaii Vacations
- 13 2nd visit to California wine country, recommendations needed.
- 14 Which Florida Key to snorkel?
- 15 Maybe a trip to NYC will make my 16 year old think Mom's okay
- 16 South Lake Tahoe (end of December 2013)
- 17 The impossible dream: Bypassing I-95 between DC and Richmond
- 18 Hollywood with 17yr old son
- 19 UK passport to travel from US to Thailand
- 20 Any additions to my general plan for 2 night stay in Jacksonville (no car)?
- 21 dog friendly hotels websites--any others than bringfido.com?
- 22 Creating restaurant list for San Francisco - new ones??
- 23 Seniors need help with itinerary for grandkids!
- 24 Warm and don't Drive
- 25 Train from Boston to Rockport?