This is an exciting adventure for those new to rafting or the most seasoned rafters. The two most popular rivers which are in very close proximity to each other are the New River and the Gauley River. The New River is the second oldest river in the world. It flows from south to north often taking some steep vertical drops. It is in the center of the New River Gorge and is lined with coal mines and ghost towns. Tons of history and scenery along the ride. The Upper New is great for family vacations or the more timid rafters. It can be used as a warmp up for the other rivers. The Lower New River runs all spring and summer. It has rapids from Class I-IV and is very exciting and lots of fun. The Gauley is a rold class rafting river one of the top 10 in the world. Beginners should start on the Lower Gauley before going to the Upper. Rapids range from class II though V (class VI not being passible). It runs for only six weeks in September and October due to it being a Dam release from Summersville Lake being lowered to winter pool. I enjoyed rafting so much that I became a guide...driving 500 miles RT every other weekend to guide. There a numerous companies that offer trips and packages, I work for one, but have found all are reputable and fair. Pricing is fairly consistent between all. While copetative, there is much comradary on the river. WV law regulates the companies so safety is at the top of the list for all companies. If your interested in more details, please e-mail me at email@example.com. West Virginia is often overlooked as a great vacation place for the outdoor enthusiast...its beauty and affordability need more recognition.
WHITEWATER RAFTING IN WEST VIRGINIA
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Stony Point, NC to Richmond, VA and surrounding areas... help, please!
- 2 Dividing time in Grand Canyon
- 3 Feedback on Palm Springs with Kids Itinerary
- 4 Best non-chic, non-strip Hotel choices in Las Vegas??
- 5 San Diego parks and attractions
- 6 Door County Suggestions
- 7 First family ski trip
- 8 Visiting Denver
- 9 New Hampshire Itinerary
- 10 Summer trip in New England (15 days)
- 11 Here's how I spent my 3 hour layover in Washington, DC
- 12 boston to nantucket: what are our options?
- 13 driving from San Francisco to Seattle
- 14 NYC theatre broadway
- 15 Your favorite Glacier NP lodging and itinerary help
- 16 Suggestions? Family of four that like National Parks
- 17 Salt Lake City, Utah
- 18 Commute from Kailua Kona to Hilo - doable?
- 19 Big Island Trip Report: Hooked on Hilo; Kohala Coast is Costly!
- 20 Honeymoon - Maui and Oahu for first timers Oct 2014
- 21 Seattle TrainingTrip March 17, q's
- 22 Yes it's March, but let's talk Christmas destinations!
- 23 Visiting Denver
- 24 Gatlinburg Tennessee Itinerary suggestions
- 25 Help for an upcoming NYC trip.