This is an exciting adventure for those new to rafting or the most seasoned rafters. The two most popular rivers which are in very close proximity to each other are the New River and the Gauley River. The New River is the second oldest river in the world. It flows from south to north often taking some steep vertical drops. It is in the center of the New River Gorge and is lined with coal mines and ghost towns. Tons of history and scenery along the ride. The Upper New is great for family vacations or the more timid rafters. It can be used as a warmp up for the other rivers. The Lower New River runs all spring and summer. It has rapids from Class I-IV and is very exciting and lots of fun. The Gauley is a rold class rafting river one of the top 10 in the world. Beginners should start on the Lower Gauley before going to the Upper. Rapids range from class II though V (class VI not being passible). It runs for only six weeks in September and October due to it being a Dam release from Summersville Lake being lowered to winter pool. I enjoyed rafting so much that I became a guide...driving 500 miles RT every other weekend to guide. There a numerous companies that offer trips and packages, I work for one, but have found all are reputable and fair. Pricing is fairly consistent between all. While copetative, there is much comradary on the river. WV law regulates the companies so safety is at the top of the list for all companies. If your interested in more details, please e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org. West Virginia is often overlooked as a great vacation place for the outdoor enthusiast...its beauty and affordability need more recognition.
WHITEWATER RAFTING IN WEST VIRGINIA
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Valdez (keystone canyon falls)? Matanuska? and other itinerary help
- 2 WEst Coast WINTER holiday - 5 weeks driving.
- 3 Boston to PEI: Where would YOU stop over?
- 4 Brooklyn why?
- 5 New York City Restaurants
- 6 let's do a new Hawaii countdown
- 7 Hotel recommendation for San Francisco
- 8 WISCONSIN
- 9 Antelope Canyon. Tour form Page or just show up there and pick a guide ?
- 10 Glacier, Yellowstone, and Grand Teton itinerary - advice requested please!
- 11 Hotel to stay before Channel Islands
- 12 AK-Glacier Bay, Wrangel Elias, Lake Clark, Matanuska glacier, Valdez?
- 13 Roadtrip Across the Country
- 14 Seeking advice from year round Tucson residents
- 15 NYC apartments through CitySonnet.com
- 16 Trip to Portland and Oregon Wine Tour
- 17 What to see/do in Baltimore without a car?
- 18 Dining in D.C.
- 19 Florida--single woman seeks best beaches for swimming and
- 20 Broadway Banter 2014: Starting off with book recommendation
- 21 Metro from airport to hotel?
- 22 Should we stop for a Saturday night in Baltimore?
- 23 Napa Girls Getaway - Need hotel advice
- 24 Colorado in the summer!
- 25 My Boston weekend...killing time near MGH