Going with our 2 college boys to Hawaii in mid July. We all went about 10 years ago, and they chose to go now, as they were too young to go to Mauna Kea summit last trip and we loved seeing the lava flow. As we did then, we're flying in and out of Kona, and driving toward Hilo. Haven't mapped out the trip yet, (can't find my trip notes) but we'll figure out the stops to make along the way. In the past we stayed 1 or 2 nights in Hilo, and 1 night at Volcano House. Thought maybe first night in Hilo and find a recommended rental near Volcano Village 2 nights? Then drive to Waikola Marriot - after much review, we're content to spend 5 nights there again. Does this make sense? And looking for recommendations. They're opposed to any tours. Thanks
where to stay 3 days Hilo/Volcano area
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 First family ski trip
- 2 What to do in Pawley's Island in Early March?
- 3 Huntington Beach - hostels?
- 4 5 nights in/around Yellowstone w/ kids
- 5 Here's how I spent my 3 hour layover in Washington, DC
- 6 Restaurants in Charleston, SC
- 7 NYC theatre broadway
- 8 Alaska
- 9 San Diego grocery stores
- 10 San Diego parks and attractions
- 11 Best stops for road trip from San Fran down the coast, family of 5?
- 12 Chain of Craters Road safe with Infants
- 13 Grand Circle Trip report, Arizona and Utah
- 14 Most affordable Wineries in Northern California near Napa?
- 15 Best non-chic, non-strip Hotel choices in Las Vegas??
- 16 Places to eat like a local in Los Angeles
- 17 Looking for Destination Ideas
- 18 Seattle hotel recommendation needed
- 19 Chigo O'Hare layover
- 20 Durango-Ouray-Telluride- Mesa Verde
- 21 Other places like Chautauqua Institution
- 22 Anchorage Sheraton Hotel and Spa
- 23 Visiting Denver
- 24 Visiting Denver
- 25 Planning family gathering in Sedona