Going with our 2 college boys to Hawaii in mid July. We all went about 10 years ago, and they chose to go now, as they were too young to go to Mauna Kea summit last trip and we loved seeing the lava flow. As we did then, we're flying in and out of Kona, and driving toward Hilo. Haven't mapped out the trip yet, (can't find my trip notes) but we'll figure out the stops to make along the way. In the past we stayed 1 or 2 nights in Hilo, and 1 night at Volcano House. Thought maybe first night in Hilo and find a recommended rental near Volcano Village 2 nights? Then drive to Waikola Marriot - after much review, we're content to spend 5 nights there again. Does this make sense? And looking for recommendations. They're opposed to any tours. Thanks
where to stay 3 days Hilo/Volcano area
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Another Southwest Airlines Early Bird Question
- 2 Recommendations for accommodation in San Diego?
- 3 Ideas for 1st time trip to LA/Santa Monica/Hollywood with 16 yr old
- 4 Help on which island(s) for Scuba Divers
- 5 New England in the fall
- 6 relocating travel
- 7 Hiking Arches or Canyonlands National Park in fall?
- 8 Bath County, VA - anyone ever been?
- 9 A tour of an Amish Community near Midland MI
- 10 Help with Wisconsin Dells Trip Plan
- 11 Help w road trip from Huntington Beach to SF, skipping LA area
- 12 Is Fox Rent A Car any good?
- 13 Alaska trip -Labor Day weekend
- 14 Need help with Yellowstone and area starting in SLC
- 15 Heading to Maine in September - Where are the moose?
- 16 Big Island Fans - will we like Maui?
- 17 Vegas - Grand Canyon - Tucson
- 18 Hearst Castle - Is the Grand Rooms tour really the best for first timers?
- 19 Mesa Verde
- 20 NEW YORK CITY!!!
- 21 Seattle Hyatts
- 22 No accomodation in Hana...should we forget about it?
- 23 Trip to the Adirondacks
- 24 Trip Report: An Intoxicating Birthday Day-Trip in Napa
- 25 LA via Death Valley, Grand Canyon to Vegas