we are planning a holiday with our two teens in NOV 2014 ( so a long way away yet!) but i really want to get it right this time!
Having done this before, i now know what we need as individuals and a family when we travel O/S so the key question for me at this very early starting point is:
What areas should we avoid, if any when booking either a two -bed condo or a two interconnecting rooms with maybe a kitchenette? I was told by a friend that the area near the canal is not as desirable..something about nightclubs and safety at night?
Im gathering from the map i have here that would be the Ala Wai Boulevard?
My friend is looking to stay down near the zoo this time- the outrigger west apartments which are on the corner of Kalakaua ave and Kapahulu ave...above starbucks and chilis restaurant.,,apparently a ten minute stroll to the hustle and bustle of the Outrigger Waikiki where her family stayed last time.
I would like to be able to go shopping with my daughter- ie walk to the main places of action without relying on taxis or buses necessarily and not wanting to ask OH to get the rental car out to drop us off anywhere either
It wont matter during the day much ..we will be driving out for day trips no doubt together..it is just the evenings that concern me when typically OH has had enough and just wants to chill or nap whilst we girls go looking for shopping adventures unencumbered and unrushed!
Any opinions really appreciated. We want to be safe and if the general consensus is that waikiki is well-lit..well populated and just has the usual dangers of any busy centre then we will further explore the area of Paul St where i have been researching the Monarch 401 condo...seems very nice and quite reasonable at the moment..two bathrooms area a definite bonus and OH likes the idea of some space..it has got some views too which add to the appeal
what are the different locales like in waikiki - does it matter THAT much where you stay?
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 San Francisco-Coventry Inn??
- 2 Two 64 year old buddies on A week trip
- 3 let's do a new Hawaii countdown
- 4 Vegas to Grand Canyon, Bryce and/or Zion Dilemmma!
- 5 Denver 1 day in denver
- 6 Zion NP - Grand Canyon North Rim - Las Vegas
- 7 Burlington VT day trip
- 8 Scouting trip for possible move to SoCal -- advice on itin, please
- 9 Santa Barbara Itinerary Help Needed
- 10 Bears and Traps. Our Grand Alaska Sea & Land Tour
- 11 A weekend in Boston area with Friends (including 2 teenagers)
- 12 Road trip Sacramento to Denver, help requested
- 13 Driving Chgo- Denver,things to see on way, where to stop
- 14 Roundtop Texas Lodging
- 15 Denver to Ouray
- 16 Three days to explore Denver & Boulder - where to stay?
- 17 Three day colorado summer trip (Denver-RMNP, Colorado springs)
- 18 Denver-Taos-Santa Fe-Durango/Mesa Verde
- 19 Hiking, Horses, Having fun: Family Adventure in Yellowstone & Grand Teton
- 20 Need help planning trip to Atlanta, Alabama and then New Orleans
- 21 San Francisco - mid October
- 22 Part Three of an 18 Day RV trip - Seward
- 23 Vegas hotels for families
- 24 Keeping Hip-Chic At Bay: Seattle and A Couple Points South
- 25 Vegas Hotels-NY,NY, MIrage, Vdara