Im already planning next years summer vacation. Im looking to vacation somewhere in Southwestern North Carolina and Northern Georgia in the mountains. Places ive already covered in North Carolina include the Great Smoky Mountains, Ashesville/ Biltmore Estate, Grandfather Mountain, Mount Mitchell, and Blowing Rock as well as the Blue Ridge Parkway North of Asheville. Ive been to the Smoky Mountains several times, but spent most of the time on the Gatlinburg/Tennessee side of the mountains, although I have driven over to Cherokee. And my vacation last year was to the Blowing Rock area of the NC mountains. Im thinking about staying at Highlands, NC and explore from there. I havent seen Chimney Rock, which seems like a doable day trip. Brevard seems like a cool destination as well. Along with Franklin and Cashiers. Maggie Valley up by the Smokies also sounds interesting. In Georgia, Brasstown Bald, Amicola Falls, Tallugh Gorge all sound like neat places. I have not been to Georgia before and ive heard the Georgia mountains are beautiful, so I def want to see some of North Georgia. So, for those of you who have vacationed in this area, what town would be the best base or multiple bases for this vacation? We will probably have a week for the vacation.
Western NC/ North Georgia Vacation
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Portland Maine Hotels
- 2 San Diego parks and attractions
- 3 Help choosing Chicago hotel
- 4 Chigo O'Hare layover
- 5 Lodging in Mendocino County (Anderson Valley, Booneville, ??)
- 6 Old City -- Philadelphia -- Cocktails?
- 7 Palm Springs-Looking for Great Swimming Pool
- 8 Need Ideas for Quiet Vacation in Upstate New York
- 9 united and carry-ons
- 10 Best non-chic, non-strip Hotel choices in Las Vegas??
- 11 Places to eat like a local in Los Angeles
- 12 Any feedback on our roadtrip schedule would be much appreciated!
- 13 Cape Cod in early April
- 14 USA with a 3 year old
- 15 Yellowstone & Grand Tetons Wildlife
- 16 Big Island Trip Report: Hooked on Hilo; Kohala Coast is Costly!
- 17 Best stops for road trip from San Fran down the coast, family of 5?
- 18 Durango-Ouray-Telluride- Mesa Verde
- 19 Near Plum Island, MA ...what to see and do?
- 20 Black Canyon of the Gunnison East Portal Road
- 21 Spending February on the Florida Panhandle
- 22 Light hiking around Santa Barbara
- 23 Best seafood restaurant in Boston
- 24 Planning help for honeymoon - likely Maui and the big island of Hawaii
- 25 Most affordable Wineries in Northern California near Napa?