Hello all, just looking for a little information to make sure I can make this trip safely. A little background information first though. Currently I'm military stationed in Europe and I have an assignment to Alaska in February. I have various options I can take, but the most appealing one is to fly home to West Virginia, take leave to see the family, then drive from there to Anchorage. I'm taking about 10 days for the trip,driving about 8 hours per day, and I'm just looking for information on what routes to take, what I can expect for weather and road conditions, and some excellent stops on the way. Originally I was going to drive to Washington and take the ferry, but have read that during that time of year the ferry goes from Bellingham to Juneau and then to Whittier, but that was going to take something like 5 days and the wife gets sea sick. I'll be driving a 4x4 jeep compass and am used to driving in the snow, just want to know what I'm getting into. Thanks in advance for all the help, and if anyone wants some information for traveling in Europe just let me know.
West Virginia to Anchorage, Alaska in February.
- 1 Northern Idaho - Western Montana Drive
- 2 East coast tour - Part1: NYC
- 3 Planning Road Trip Seattle to Denver and Back
- 4 Retiring in Colorado
- 5 WHERE TO STAY FOR PROPOSAL WEEKEND IN FREDRICKSBURG
- 6 Air Bnb Declared Illegal in NYC
- 7 Pick up north of Boston Logan
- 8 East coast tour - Part2: Phily, Washington, Niagara Falls
- 9 Newport, RI Questions
- 10 Question about Northeast Wisconsin along the lake
- 11 East coast tour - Part3: Florida
- 12 Savannah restaurants
- 13 State cracking down on vacation rentals?
- 14 Need a bit of help planning a 3 week trip to the US
- 15 Best place to raise a family in Florida
- 16 Washington DC - Philadelphia - New York extravaganza
- 17 DC Itinerary, June 8-13, suggestions welcome!
- 18 Denver 1 day in denver
- 19 Boston and surrounding area
- 20 First-time to NYC Trip Report as promised!
- 21 Santa Fe at the end of May?
- 22 Yellowstone Hiking Suggestions for a 7 1/2 Year Old
- 23 Hawaii- Can't decide which islands to include
- 24 Honeymoon to Kauai and Maui from the East Coast
- 25 Middlebury vt quickie