Hello all, just looking for a little information to make sure I can make this trip safely. A little background information first though. Currently I'm military stationed in Europe and I have an assignment to Alaska in February. I have various options I can take, but the most appealing one is to fly home to West Virginia, take leave to see the family, then drive from there to Anchorage. I'm taking about 10 days for the trip,driving about 8 hours per day, and I'm just looking for information on what routes to take, what I can expect for weather and road conditions, and some excellent stops on the way. Originally I was going to drive to Washington and take the ferry, but have read that during that time of year the ferry goes from Bellingham to Juneau and then to Whittier, but that was going to take something like 5 days and the wife gets sea sick. I'll be driving a 4x4 jeep compass and am used to driving in the snow, just want to know what I'm getting into. Thanks in advance for all the help, and if anyone wants some information for traveling in Europe just let me know.
West Virginia to Anchorage, Alaska in February.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Big Island Trip Report: Hooked on Hilo; Kohala Coast is Costly!
- 2 Best stops for road trip from San Fran down the coast, family of 5?
- 3 united and carry-ons
- 4 Old City -- Philadelphia -- Cocktails?
- 5 Any feedback on our roadtrip schedule would be much appreciated!
- 6 Durango-Ouray-Telluride- Mesa Verde
- 7 Lodging in Mendocino County (Anderson Valley, Booneville, ??)
- 8 Near Plum Island, MA ...what to see and do?
- 9 Yellowstone & Grand Tetons Wildlife
- 10 Black Canyon of the Gunnison East Portal Road
- 11 Spending February on the Florida Panhandle
- 12 Light hiking around Santa Barbara
- 13 Best seafood restaurant in Boston
- 14 Planning help for honeymoon - likely Maui and the big island of Hawaii
- 15 Most affordable Wineries in Northern California near Napa?
- 16 Car rental through Priceline bidding
- 17 Restaurants in Charleston, SC
- 18 And now...The 100 Best Things to Eat in Philadelphia
- 19 Road Trip Sept/Oct (4 weeks) Key West-Carolina's-Nashville-Memphis-Dallas-Denver
- 20 Philadelphia
- 21 Arizona road trip any changes?
- 22 USA with a 3 year old
- 23 First family ski trip
- 24 NYC theatre broadway
- 25 Need Ideas for Quiet Vacation in Upstate New York