Hello all, just looking for a little information to make sure I can make this trip safely. A little background information first though. Currently I'm military stationed in Europe and I have an assignment to Alaska in February. I have various options I can take, but the most appealing one is to fly home to West Virginia, take leave to see the family, then drive from there to Anchorage. I'm taking about 10 days for the trip,driving about 8 hours per day, and I'm just looking for information on what routes to take, what I can expect for weather and road conditions, and some excellent stops on the way. Originally I was going to drive to Washington and take the ferry, but have read that during that time of year the ferry goes from Bellingham to Juneau and then to Whittier, but that was going to take something like 5 days and the wife gets sea sick. I'll be driving a 4x4 jeep compass and am used to driving in the snow, just want to know what I'm getting into. Thanks in advance for all the help, and if anyone wants some information for traveling in Europe just let me know.
West Virginia to Anchorage, Alaska in February.
View all United States activity »
- 1 One day in Washington DC
- 2 let's do a new Hawaii countdown
- 3 Eataly in Chicago -- Coming Soon!
- 4 Any additions to my general plan for 2 night stay in Jacksonville (no car)?
- 5 Disney Florida - Which parks to go for 1.5 days?
- 6 Tucson First Week or Last Week of March
- 7 7 weeks Canada and USA. Help with itinerary please.
- 8 San Francisco Hotel Help
- 9 San Antonio
- 10 hotel near Met NYC
- 11 Key West on NYE
- 12 Historic District Hotel, St. Augustine, Florida, February
- 13 Which Florida Key to snorkel?
- 14 Ft. Stewart/Savannah
- 15 If you drive through Greensboro during holiday time....
- 16 The impossible dream: Bypassing I-95 between DC and Richmond
- 17 suewoo and any other Charleston, SC experts
- 18 Long Weekend in KY: Bourbon Trail and Mammoth Cave
- 19 Hotel near Public Theater
- 20 Hollywood with 17yr old son
- 21 How to safely transport a newborn baby in downtown Chicago without your own car?
- 22 Oahu Information
- 23 Charlotte Area Suggestions
- 24 Wailea Maui Restaurants
- 25 Best Cirque du Soleil show in Vegas 14 and 11 yo boys?