Hello all, just looking for a little information to make sure I can make this trip safely. A little background information first though. Currently I'm military stationed in Europe and I have an assignment to Alaska in February. I have various options I can take, but the most appealing one is to fly home to West Virginia, take leave to see the family, then drive from there to Anchorage. I'm taking about 10 days for the trip,driving about 8 hours per day, and I'm just looking for information on what routes to take, what I can expect for weather and road conditions, and some excellent stops on the way. Originally I was going to drive to Washington and take the ferry, but have read that during that time of year the ferry goes from Bellingham to Juneau and then to Whittier, but that was going to take something like 5 days and the wife gets sea sick. I'll be driving a 4x4 jeep compass and am used to driving in the snow, just want to know what I'm getting into. Thanks in advance for all the help, and if anyone wants some information for traveling in Europe just let me know.
West Virginia to Anchorage, Alaska in February.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Family friendly restaurants in Bodega Bay?
- 2 Drive Seattle to Las Vegas
- 3 Denver, Colorado, local's advice: Bistrot Vendome or other?
- 4 Oregon Wildfire Reports
- 5 San Diego Lodging help needed
- 6 Cape Cod trip report
- 7 car rental from denver airport and shuttle question
- 8 Driving Moab to Bryce Canyon
- 9 Road Trip SW
- 10 Convenient Accommodation suggestions
- 11 Vacation with 1 year old - ideas?
- 12 Yellowstone/Badlands trip, family of five, revised itinerary, June 2015
- 13 yk & family 4-day trip to Portland, Maine; July 2014
- 14 moving to florida
- 15 New Englandly: a Bit of Time in Massachusetts and Maine
- 16 Ideas for 1st time trip to LA/Santa Monica/Hollywood with 16 yr old
- 17 Trip Report - Jersey Shore, Cherry Hill, Philly, back to the roots...
- 18 Carlsbad/San Diego Ideas
- 19 Road Trip Help--- Philly to Sunset, SC (Virginia portion)
- 20 Alaska Local Knowledge Request
- 21 A few SF recommendations/itinerary review
- 22 Detroit area getaway - outside of the city
- 23 What a great weekend in Cooperstown (July 24-27)
- 24 Alaska Trip Report—10 days by car in July
- 25 Seafood