Hello all, just looking for a little information to make sure I can make this trip safely. A little background information first though. Currently I'm military stationed in Europe and I have an assignment to Alaska in February. I have various options I can take, but the most appealing one is to fly home to West Virginia, take leave to see the family, then drive from there to Anchorage. I'm taking about 10 days for the trip,driving about 8 hours per day, and I'm just looking for information on what routes to take, what I can expect for weather and road conditions, and some excellent stops on the way. Originally I was going to drive to Washington and take the ferry, but have read that during that time of year the ferry goes from Bellingham to Juneau and then to Whittier, but that was going to take something like 5 days and the wife gets sea sick. I'll be driving a 4x4 jeep compass and am used to driving in the snow, just want to know what I'm getting into. Thanks in advance for all the help, and if anyone wants some information for traveling in Europe just let me know.
West Virginia to Anchorage, Alaska in February.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 California
- 2 East Coast Summer Vacation Destination
- 3 Photos from Texas Christmas Road Trip
- 4 Less than a day in Seattle area
- 5 Sunday jazz brunch & weekday afternoon tea recs?
- 6 Cross Country RV Trip
- 7 Where should a coffee drinker worship in NYC?
- 8 Park Central Hotel via Priceline uh-oh
- 9 Scottsdale Mexican Restaurant Near Omni Scottsdale
- 10 Universal Orlando
- 11 Florida or caribbean
- 12 Baby Boomer Road Trip
- 13 Petrified national forest, AZ
- 14 First Trip to California with Family of 6
- 15 Chattanooga to Washington DC via Blue Ridge Parkway
- 16 Deep South sept 2015
- 17 1st time DC-NYC for family of 5 - Need itinerary advice
- 18 Winter trip over the holiday season
- 19 New England September
- 20 17 day photo trip report - upstate New York
- 21 Active Vacation
- 22 Required snow tires & rental cars?
- 23 New York (for women turning 50th) 2015
- 24 Business in San diego and then a weeks vacation?
- 25 Weekend road trip from Omaha