Hello all, just looking for a little information to make sure I can make this trip safely. A little background information first though. Currently I'm military stationed in Europe and I have an assignment to Alaska in February. I have various options I can take, but the most appealing one is to fly home to West Virginia, take leave to see the family, then drive from there to Anchorage. I'm taking about 10 days for the trip,driving about 8 hours per day, and I'm just looking for information on what routes to take, what I can expect for weather and road conditions, and some excellent stops on the way. Originally I was going to drive to Washington and take the ferry, but have read that during that time of year the ferry goes from Bellingham to Juneau and then to Whittier, but that was going to take something like 5 days and the wife gets sea sick. I'll be driving a 4x4 jeep compass and am used to driving in the snow, just want to know what I'm getting into. Thanks in advance for all the help, and if anyone wants some information for traveling in Europe just let me know.
West Virginia to Anchorage, Alaska in February.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 let's do a new Hawaii countdown
- 2 Road trips - CHI-ATL and MEM-NOLA - April/May 2014
- 3 NYC becoming a battleground for Air BnB apartment rentals
- 4 Wilderness Lodge at Disney World questions
- 5 I am "The Prince of Tides"
- 6 "HUMORLESS" response to Kauai comment silliness
- 7 Kanab and Page with Kids Trip Report
- 8 How to dress in Vegas
- 9 Antelope Canyon, Best Friends, Bryce, Zion trip report
- 10 Packer game hotel on the bus line.
- 11 bus tour for Grand canyon(South Rim), Horse shoe in 1-day?
- 12 Drinking a beer in all 50 states for cancer reseach. Need bar suggestions!
- 13 Trip Report to Pacific Northwest: August 2014
- 14 Quick advice needed for 1st visit to HNL & Kauai
- 15 USA trip
- 16 Things to do in and around Westbrook, CT in November 2014
- 17 Chicago Questions
- 18 Air Connections on Maui
- 19 camaro hire in waikiki
- 20 Pet Friendly places in Myrtle Beach
- 21 Timeshare Nightmares
- 22 Booking Lodging at the Grand Canyon
- 23 Breckenridge in October
- 24 New Orleans in November - too cool?
- 25 Orlando for Work