Blackwater Falls State Park is part of what is called Canaan Valley.
There are a few pretty flat trails in the Canaan Valley area. Most may be too hilly for you because of your knees, but some are suitable. Also, there are a lot of beautiful sights you can get to without having to hike to them.
There is a lot to do and see in Canaan Valley -- Blackwater Falls, windmills, hiking (adventurous or easy trails), mountainmade.com (artisians handiworks), there are 2 ski resorts which in the ski offseason offer chairlift rides for your viewing pleasure, drive through Dolly Sods to the pine trees which have branches growing on one side only, or do a lot more.
Check out Canaan Valley area at http://www.canaanvalley.org/
Part of Monongahela National Forest is at Canaan. Check out their website at http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/mnf/ Many areas of the Forest are designed to be handicap accessible so you can be assured that even with bad knees you would be able to access these areas. http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/mnf/uniaccess.shtml Also click on Recreation and Special Places.
In addition, about an hour drive from Canaan there is Cass Railroad, Seneca Caverns, and many more “nature” sightseeing things to do.
My favorite place to recommend is in Old Timberline (gated community). Blackwater 15 (Alpine Sunrise) sits on 5 acres on the conservancy in front of a lake with the mountains across from it. There are always a lot of deer on the property. In summer, a bear often comes around late at night. Wild turkeys, fox, and other animals have also been seen on the property. In addition to trails in Old Timberline, there is a very flat trail around the lake which would be perfect for you to walk. It is right in front of Alpine Sunrise. No I don't own the cabin – so I am not selling anything - but I am very familiar with it and know it is a great spot to stay.
To check out this property, goto http://www.timberlinerealty.com/ click on vacation rentals or goto http://www.ridgeviewtechnologies.com/trr/ then scroll down to Old Timberline Rentals & click on the picture. Blackwater 15 (Alpine Sunrise). If you go to the floorplan and put your mouse over it, you get different pictures of the cabin. If you are not going for skiing, I would go sometime in June – September. To me, this is when the Valley is most beautiful.
To check out Old Timberline, goto http://www.oldtimberline2.com/. Look at TAI postcards. Most of the pictures are of the lake in front of Alpine Sunrise.
There are a lot of cabins, condos, houses, etc.for daily or weekly rent in Canaan Valley. Look on http://www.canaanvalley.org/ for a listing of some. Many are handled by the real estate businesses in the area. Canaan State Park has a lodge and has cabins. For more info, goto http://www.canaanresort.com/
Blackwater Falls State Park also has a lodge.
Another good site to go to is http://www.wvtourism.com/planner.aspx?pgID=57 or goto
www.wvtourism.com then under Visitor Information click on Travel Planner. For Canaan Valley and surrounding area, click on the Potomac Highlands section of the map.
West Virginia Canaan Valley
- 1 Can You Typically See Mt St Helens on the train from Seattle to Portland?
- 2 Moab Condo Rental Possibilities
- 3 Buy now or wait . . . airfare to Santa Barbara in late July?
- 4 South Tahoe around July 4 - GTG?
- 5 Priceline, WARNING
- 6 1st time to Kauai! Will not be the last!
- 7 Kauai golf
- 8 2 Brits Travelling USA July-Aug 2013
- 9 time for a new countdown to Hawaii
- 10 Less commercial beach?
- 11 Maine - July 5th to July 14
- 12 San Franciso to Vancouver
- 13 stay near newark or nyc
- 14 Carmel, California where to stay??
- 15 Maui. . .where to stay for local feel
- 16 First-Time Hawaii Advice
- 17 Manzanita Or restaurants
- 18 I-5 bridge over Skagit River collapses, cars with people in water |
- 19 Pine Barrens- where to stay ?
- 20 Trip Itinerary Advice Needed - 1wk Yellowstone & Tetons
- 21 JFK to Upper West Side by subway
- 22 East coast tour - Part2: Phily, Washington, Niagara Falls
- 23 East coast tour - Part1: NYC
- 24 Boston, my 2 hour food shopping spree to satiate my man's needs
- 25 15 hrs layoff at Miami International- Key West Possible ?