I'm planning a road tip from Indian Head MD to the Gatlinburg TN area and beyond. The goal is simply to experience West Viginia, especially the scenery. So far, my tentative route is from Indian Head MD to Morgantown WV via I68 to Blackwater Falls State Park to Lewisburg to Charleston to Gatlinsburg using routes suggested by Google Maps. Naturally, I have a few questions:
1. Is there a better route to experence West Virgina?
2. The only reason for going to Morgantown is that I've heard I-68 is very sceneric, but I'm wondering if I'd enjoy a different route more. Is there anything I'd really miss by taking the backroads to Blackwater Falls through Wichester/Augusta or more direct through Strasburg/Moorefield? I'm not going to be in any great hurry, but I don't want to waste a lot of time seeing too much of the same scenery either.
3. Similarly, the only reason I'm going through Charleston is to go through more of West Virgina than Virginia. Would taking I-77 south to I-81 out of Beckley be an alternative or would 119 out of Charleston give me more of a feel for West Virginia? Am I in for a really slow ride taking 119?
4. Weather problems along the route that time of the year?
Thanks for any and all comments/suggestions.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Looking for areas to live? Commuting to Palo Alto
- 2 Short warm weather family vacation in January or February
- 3 Vancouver to Washington State
- 4 2 Grannies, 2 parents & 1 three-yr-old
- 5 Glacier National Park 2018
- 6 Rhode Island Get Away
- 7 Great Lakes extended road trip
- 8 Hotel location Albuquerque
- 9 Adirondacks trip repot
- 10 Queen Anne or Belltown Hotel
- 11 New England Tour
- 12 Carmel CA lodging
- 13 Driving CA 395
- 14 Pacific Grove/Carmel CA area
- 15 Yosemite - importance of staying in park?
- 16 Hotel Picks - Kauai
- 17 Avis or Budget from LAX
- 18 Saint Lawrence River Seaway
- 19 Maui and Kauai
- 20 50th Anniversary ocean stay with luxuries?
- 21 Hawaii wedding
- 22 I-84 Columbia Gorge
- 23 Suggestions for Sedona and Grand Canyon
- 24 Los Angeles Area Restaurants - 2017 Edition
- 25 Philadelphia Traffic Help