I'm planning a road tip from Indian Head MD to the Gatlinburg TN area and beyond. The goal is simply to experience West Viginia, especially the scenery. So far, my tentative route is from Indian Head MD to Morgantown WV via I68 to Blackwater Falls State Park to Lewisburg to Charleston to Gatlinsburg using routes suggested by Google Maps. Naturally, I have a few questions:
1. Is there a better route to experence West Virgina?
2. The only reason for going to Morgantown is that I've heard I-68 is very sceneric, but I'm wondering if I'd enjoy a different route more. Is there anything I'd really miss by taking the backroads to Blackwater Falls through Wichester/Augusta or more direct through Strasburg/Moorefield? I'm not going to be in any great hurry, but I don't want to waste a lot of time seeing too much of the same scenery either.
3. Similarly, the only reason I'm going through Charleston is to go through more of West Virgina than Virginia. Would taking I-77 south to I-81 out of Beckley be an alternative or would 119 out of Charleston give me more of a feel for West Virginia? Am I in for a really slow ride taking 119?
4. Weather problems along the route that time of the year?
Thanks for any and all comments/suggestions.
West Virgina Road Trip In Late March/Early April 2014
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Backpacking in April
- 2 Between Clearwater and Anna Maria island
- 3 Nice town to sleep/dine in near I-95 between Baltimore and DC
- 4 Lodging in Mendocino County (Anderson Valley, Booneville, ??)
- 5 Best stops for road trip from San Fran down the coast, family of 5?
- 6 Oceanfront condo rentals in Maui?
- 7 University of Texas Austin College Trip
- 8 Four days in DC
- 9 Yellowstone & Grand Tetons Wildlife
- 10 Just to clarify, Lodging in Yellowstone
- 11 Itinerary for : Vegas - Zion - Bryce - Antelope - Grand Canyon
- 12 3 nights in Nashville
- 13 One Night at Logan Airport
- 14 Planning help for honeymoon - likely Maui and the big island of Hawaii
- 15 Please help with itinerary
- 16 Honeymoon - Maui and Oahu for first timers Oct 2014
- 17 Durango-Ouray-Telluride- Mesa Verde
- 18 Need Ideas for Quiet Vacation in Upstate New York
- 19 Best non-chic, non-strip Hotel choices in Las Vegas??
- 20 Circle Oahu / luau
- 21 Old City -- Philadelphia -- Cocktails?
- 22 Near Plum Island, MA ...what to see and do?
- 23 "Off the beaten path" road trip from Vail, CO
- 24 Aussies' USA "White Xmas" 2013/14 Trip Report
- 25 Visiting Paso Robles wine country