I'm planning a road tip from Indian Head MD to the Gatlinburg TN area and beyond. The goal is simply to experience West Viginia, especially the scenery. So far, my tentative route is from Indian Head MD to Morgantown WV via I68 to Blackwater Falls State Park to Lewisburg to Charleston to Gatlinsburg using routes suggested by Google Maps. Naturally, I have a few questions:
1. Is there a better route to experence West Virgina?
2. The only reason for going to Morgantown is that I've heard I-68 is very sceneric, but I'm wondering if I'd enjoy a different route more. Is there anything I'd really miss by taking the backroads to Blackwater Falls through Wichester/Augusta or more direct through Strasburg/Moorefield? I'm not going to be in any great hurry, but I don't want to waste a lot of time seeing too much of the same scenery either.
3. Similarly, the only reason I'm going through Charleston is to go through more of West Virgina than Virginia. Would taking I-77 south to I-81 out of Beckley be an alternative or would 119 out of Charleston give me more of a feel for West Virginia? Am I in for a really slow ride taking 119?
4. Weather problems along the route that time of the year?
Thanks for any and all comments/suggestions.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 http://newhealthsupplement.com/black-diamond-force/
- 2 Getty center and Getty Villa
- 3 Christmas Dinner in NYC?
- 4 Do you want Repair your Computer?
- 5 Arizona in winter
- 6 Eastern California Winter Roadtrip
- 7 Advertising Sublets in NYC Now Illegal - Air BnB Has Pulled Listings
- 8 Travel in Houston and surrounding area
- 9 Currency and hotels
- 10 Vegas with toddler twins
- 11 Las Vegas Vacation
- 12 OHare car service north suburbs
- 13 Washington DC Trip in December with Small Children
- 14 Restaurant Recommendations mid-city Manhattan
- 15 disneyland
- 16 2016/17 Ski Season Opens
- 17 Paris-Room Selection Advice Needed ASAP for last minute trip. TIA.
- 18 Key West
- 19 Glacier and Grand Tetons: June or July
- 20 LA! Active, FUN couple - area to stay/itenerary
- 21 Savannah and Charleston over New Years.
- 22 moving to Florida
- 23 Warmth in December without Zika??
- 24 DC restaurant report
- 25 Trip Report: San Francisco, Monterey, Wine Country