I'm planning a road tip from Indian Head MD to the Gatlinburg TN area and beyond. The goal is simply to experience West Viginia, especially the scenery. So far, my tentative route is from Indian Head MD to Morgantown WV via I68 to Blackwater Falls State Park to Lewisburg to Charleston to Gatlinsburg using routes suggested by Google Maps. Naturally, I have a few questions:
1. Is there a better route to experence West Virgina?
2. The only reason for going to Morgantown is that I've heard I-68 is very sceneric, but I'm wondering if I'd enjoy a different route more. Is there anything I'd really miss by taking the backroads to Blackwater Falls through Wichester/Augusta or more direct through Strasburg/Moorefield? I'm not going to be in any great hurry, but I don't want to waste a lot of time seeing too much of the same scenery either.
3. Similarly, the only reason I'm going through Charleston is to go through more of West Virgina than Virginia. Would taking I-77 south to I-81 out of Beckley be an alternative or would 119 out of Charleston give me more of a feel for West Virginia? Am I in for a really slow ride taking 119?
4. Weather problems along the route that time of the year?
Thanks for any and all comments/suggestions.
West Virgina Road Trip In Late March/Early April 2014
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Boston/Fenway park
- 2 New York City Taking First Steps Against Air BnB Members
- 3 3 Days in Denver area- want to hike and bike, stay in Boulder or Denver?
- 4 Atlanta with kids
- 5 Which NYC subway should I take?
- 6 Downtown Denver restaurant recommendation, please~
- 7 Any nice Family Camps near Lake Winnepesauki?
- 8 Where to stay with kids in Nashville
- 9 New York City Restaurants
- 10 Searching For The Rhythm Of Florida
- 11 Cabaret seating at Studio 54 - huh?
- 12 Alaska- cruise or land? and most scenic areas?
- 13 NYC apartments through CitySonnet.com
- 14 Alexandria or Georgetown
- 15 East Coast road trip from Boston to Washington DC
- 16 Spring Has Officially Sprung in Central Park
- 17 Family Camp in Maine
- 18 Hardly Strictly Bluegrass
- 19 San Diego
- 20 Suggestions for road trip with children from Birmingham, AL to Grand Canyon
- 21 2 Days in Portland - Best of?
- 22 Timeshare Nightmares
- 23 Santa Fe advice needed (40th anniversary)
- 24 Places to eat like a local in Los Angeles
- 25 Best Glacier viewing (by boat) from Seward or Whittier