I'm planning a road tip from Indian Head MD to the Gatlinburg TN area and beyond. The goal is simply to experience West Viginia, especially the scenery. So far, my tentative route is from Indian Head MD to Morgantown WV via I68 to Blackwater Falls State Park to Lewisburg to Charleston to Gatlinsburg using routes suggested by Google Maps. Naturally, I have a few questions:
1. Is there a better route to experence West Virgina?
2. The only reason for going to Morgantown is that I've heard I-68 is very sceneric, but I'm wondering if I'd enjoy a different route more. Is there anything I'd really miss by taking the backroads to Blackwater Falls through Wichester/Augusta or more direct through Strasburg/Moorefield? I'm not going to be in any great hurry, but I don't want to waste a lot of time seeing too much of the same scenery either.
3. Similarly, the only reason I'm going through Charleston is to go through more of West Virgina than Virginia. Would taking I-77 south to I-81 out of Beckley be an alternative or would 119 out of Charleston give me more of a feel for West Virginia? Am I in for a really slow ride taking 119?
4. Weather problems along the route that time of the year?
Thanks for any and all comments/suggestions.
West Virgina Road Trip In Late March/Early April 2014
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 New York City-New Things?
- 2 Restaurant recomendations in the east 54th Street area, please.
- 3 Yes, there are coyotes in Manhattan
- 4 Driving from RI to NB, Best Place to Overnight in Maine?
- 5 scenic route from Estes Park to Salt Lake City
- 6 Lake Tahoe - May Vacation Advice
- 7 Traveling from Vegas to Grand Canyon and Southern Utah
- 8 las vegas cabana reservations
- 9 Connecticut Highway 1. Should we do it?
- 10 16 Days in Utah and Colorado with Our 2 Young Boys!
- 11 final plans utah/arizona trip
- 12 Navajo Trail in Bryce Canyon -- what to do when Wall Street closed??
- 13 Utah: Zion for sure, Arches or Bryce?
- 14 Unique things to do in PA with a 20 month old! (and some adults too!)
- 15 Alaska Trip Planning
- 16 4 Days in Kauai what to see and do
- 17 new york subway help please
- 18 Boston to see Sargent works
- 19 Pacific Coast Highway from Los Angeles to San Francisco
- 20 Pet-Friendly near I-95 N. Florida/S. Georgia for yappy dogs?
- 21 GTG Boston-Cambridge July 12
- 22 Moving out of states from Florida
- 23 Atlanta to LA
- 24 Colorado Springs to Durango 9 days
- 25 Washington DC to Texas via Jacksonville, FL