I'm planning a road tip from Indian Head MD to the Gatlinburg TN area and beyond. The goal is simply to experience West Viginia, especially the scenery. So far, my tentative route is from Indian Head MD to Morgantown WV via I68 to Blackwater Falls State Park to Lewisburg to Charleston to Gatlinsburg using routes suggested by Google Maps. Naturally, I have a few questions:
1. Is there a better route to experence West Virgina?
2. The only reason for going to Morgantown is that I've heard I-68 is very sceneric, but I'm wondering if I'd enjoy a different route more. Is there anything I'd really miss by taking the backroads to Blackwater Falls through Wichester/Augusta or more direct through Strasburg/Moorefield? I'm not going to be in any great hurry, but I don't want to waste a lot of time seeing too much of the same scenery either.
3. Similarly, the only reason I'm going through Charleston is to go through more of West Virgina than Virginia. Would taking I-77 south to I-81 out of Beckley be an alternative or would 119 out of Charleston give me more of a feel for West Virginia? Am I in for a really slow ride taking 119?
4. Weather problems along the route that time of the year?
Thanks for any and all comments/suggestions.
West Virgina Road Trip In Late March/Early April 2014
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Restaurants in Charleston, SC
- 2 Seattle hotel recommendation needed
- 3 The Cindy Shearin Group Bottom Line
- 4 Best non-chic, non-strip Hotel choices in Las Vegas??
- 5 Chain of Craters Road safe with Infants
- 6 Chigo O'Hare layover
- 7 Durango-Ouray-Telluride- Mesa Verde
- 8 Other places like Chautauqua Institution
- 9 First family ski trip
- 10 What to do in Pawley's Island in Early March?
- 11 Anchorage Sheraton Hotel and Spa
- 12 Visiting Denver
- 13 Visiting Denver
- 14 Grand Circle Trip report, Arizona and Utah
- 15 NYC theatre broadway
- 16 Planning family gathering in Sedona
- 17 Commute from Kailua Kona to Hilo - doable?
- 18 Laguna Beach, what to do
- 19 Louisville to Dallas, spring time, 10 days, teenagers
- 20 Best stops for road trip from San Fran down the coast, family of 5?
- 21 A day in Dallas
- 22 Stony Point, NC to Richmond, VA and surrounding areas... help, please!
- 23 Austin Anniversary Dinner
- 24 Looking for Destination Ideas
- 25 Door County Suggestions