A biologist couple from Finland are going to make a summer tour on the west coast. We´d like to get some last minute tips about good hiking routes and secluded camping spots along our route - and why not also suggestions about other destinations.
The aim of the trip is to see lots of wonderful nature, especially forests but other biotopes too. Hiking (also backcountry camping) is on the itinerary as the major activity, also some fishing would be nice (though not angling).
Major concern is availability of wilderness permits (quotas in many areas) and tent sites, since it´s the peak season. Any tips on what to reserve in advance and how early should we book? Also tips on beating the crowds (less travelled trailheads)?
Especially tips on the best trails in Sierras are welcome
Travel period: 2 months (June & July)
Area: California, Oregon, Washington, Yellowstone
Transportation: rental car + flight from Seattle to Bozeman
Route (as though so far):
In California: San Francisco - Monterey - Big Sur - Kings Canyon & Sequoia NP - Owens Valley - White Mountains (+ Inyo National Forest) - Mono Lake - Coastal redwood national and state parks
In Oregon: Klamath Lakes - Crater Lake - (Mount Hood, Sisters Wilderness or surrounding area) - (Columbia river gorge) - Portland
In Washington: Olympic National Park - (Vancouver Island) - Seattle --> Bozeman
+ Yellowstone area
Thanks for all the tips!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 http://alphajackedhelp.com/mengenix-testo-rampage/
- 2 Nevada and California: Vegas/SF/Monterey
- 3 Restaurant Recs in Boston
- 4 2-day romantic couple getaway in CO mountains?
- 5 Montana from Salt Lake City: Help!
- 6 Thoughts on these 3 spots for Estes Park lodging?
- 7 Best Vegas hotel with 12 & 15 year olds
- 8 New Jersey Shore - Neptune
- 9 Week of July 4th in Hamptons. First-timer, bday dinner...
- 10 Tubing Rainbow River Dunnellon, Florida
- 11 Need input on the following itinerary for Mid Coast Maine
- 12 Maine Lobster Rolls
- 13 Day hikes in Yosemite for family of 4 (2 teens)
- 14 Los Angeles Area Restaurants - 2017 Edition
- 15 1 week NE Fall trip (ME, VT, NY..)
- 16 Roadtrippin on Route 66
- 17 Where to take mom for 70th birthday?
- 18 Big Island and Kauai questions
- 19 Driving from San Fran to Seattle
- 20 San Francisco, Yosemite, Carmel
- 21 Total Eclipse of the Sun visible in USA - plan ahead for August 21, 2017
- 22 Carmel to Big Sur Station and back report with photos 6/10/2017
- 23 Blue Ridge Mountains Skyline Drive
- 24 Mnnpls--what to do, culture and food
- 25 Maine trip report -- Rockland, Camden, Rockport, Owl's Head, Wiscasset