A biologist couple from Finland are going to make a summer tour on the west coast. We´d like to get some last minute tips about good hiking routes and secluded camping spots along our route - and why not also suggestions about other destinations.
The aim of the trip is to see lots of wonderful nature, especially forests but other biotopes too. Hiking (also backcountry camping) is on the itinerary as the major activity, also some fishing would be nice (though not angling).
Major concern is availability of wilderness permits (quotas in many areas) and tent sites, since it´s the peak season. Any tips on what to reserve in advance and how early should we book? Also tips on beating the crowds (less travelled trailheads)?
Especially tips on the best trails in Sierras are welcome
Travel period: 2 months (June & July)
Area: California, Oregon, Washington, Yellowstone
Transportation: rental car + flight from Seattle to Bozeman
Route (as though so far):
In California: San Francisco - Monterey - Big Sur - Kings Canyon & Sequoia NP - Owens Valley - White Mountains (+ Inyo National Forest) - Mono Lake - Coastal redwood national and state parks
In Oregon: Klamath Lakes - Crater Lake - (Mount Hood, Sisters Wilderness or surrounding area) - (Columbia river gorge) - Portland
In Washington: Olympic National Park - (Vancouver Island) - Seattle --> Bozeman
+ Yellowstone area
Thanks for all the tips!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 https://musclebuildingbuy.com/enduro-core-extreme/
- 2 http://www.potentmuscles.com/peruvian-brew
- 3 how much time to visit pedestal at Statue of Liberty
- 4 #1-855-205-4068# Hawaiian airlines Reservation
- 5 #1-855-205-4068#American airlines Reservation
- 6 Charlottesville & NC BBQ Trip Report
- 7 good restaurant near Nawiliwili port, Kauai
- 8 Pu'uhonua O Honaunau National Historical Park - Hawaii
- 9 Restaurant Recommendations for Queens/Brooklyn/Williamsburgl
- 10 Driving through Chicago area to Wisconsin
- 11 Arches or Zion?
- 12 Total Eclipse of the Sun visible in USA - plan ahead for August 21, 2017
- 13 Looking to move from North Carolina to Colorado
- 14 First Time to Seattle-Portland-Willamette Valley
- 15 Restaurant recommendations in falmouth/mashpee, ma area
- 16 (Healing?) Retreat in Sedona, Az?
- 17 Richmond Virginia And Poe
- 18 Chicago to Denver or Rapid City
- 19 time to visit statue
- 20 Charleston Itinerary Feedback Please
- 21 New England Foliage Peeping Trip - Oct 4 to 8th
- 22 Suggestion for Hotel by Ford Museum/Tour
- 23 Chester, CN
- 24 Northern California Gardens.
- 25 First time Colorado 1 week-itinerary help