A biologist couple from Finland are going to make a summer tour on the west coast. We´d like to get some last minute tips about good hiking routes and secluded camping spots along our route - and why not also suggestions about other destinations.
The aim of the trip is to see lots of wonderful nature, especially forests but other biotopes too. Hiking (also backcountry camping) is on the itinerary as the major activity, also some fishing would be nice (though not angling).
Major concern is availability of wilderness permits (quotas in many areas) and tent sites, since it´s the peak season. Any tips on what to reserve in advance and how early should we book? Also tips on beating the crowds (less travelled trailheads)?
Especially tips on the best trails in Sierras are welcome
Travel period: 2 months (June & July)
Area: California, Oregon, Washington, Yellowstone
Transportation: rental car + flight from Seattle to Bozeman
Route (as though so far):
In California: San Francisco - Monterey - Big Sur - Kings Canyon & Sequoia NP - Owens Valley - White Mountains (+ Inyo National Forest) - Mono Lake - Coastal redwood national and state parks
In Oregon: Klamath Lakes - Crater Lake - (Mount Hood, Sisters Wilderness or surrounding area) - (Columbia river gorge) - Portland
In Washington: Olympic National Park - (Vancouver Island) - Seattle --> Bozeman
+ Yellowstone area
Thanks for all the tips!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Yellowstone
- 2 Need advise sightseeing Seattle - Pendleton - Twin Falls - Yellowstone
- 3 Bracebridge Dinner at the Ahwahnee Hotel
- 4 Where to stay to visit Glacier National Park
- 5 4 Days in Mass.
- 6 East Coast Road Trip - What maps to use?
- 7 Total Eclipse of the Sun visible in USA - plan ahead for August 21, 2017
- 8 Any Recent Travelers on I 80 in Iowa and Nebraska
- 9 Best Fall Foliage in NM and CO?
- 10 Uber availability on Long Island
- 11 Road Trip from Portland to San Francisco
- 12 Fort Myers Area
- 13 My Avis/kona rental experience
- 14 Help with vegas to phoenix national parks roadtrip in november
- 15 Opinions: key west accommodation
- 16 NYE in FLL or Miami Beach
- 17 Cross country road trip to the east coast- here we go...
- 18 Chinese restaurants in D.C.?
- 19 Christmas Day in NYC?
- 20 Washington visit...perhaps relocate
- 21 Spokane to Glacier NP
- 22 Smoky Mountains -Cades Cove saw wolf.
- 23 Hawaii with older parents
- 24 Big Sur evacuated due to Soberanes fire August 7, 2016
- 25 Drive tour Portland to San Francisco