A biologist couple from Finland are going to make a summer tour on the west coast. We´d like to get some last minute tips about good hiking routes and secluded camping spots along our route - and why not also suggestions about other destinations.
The aim of the trip is to see lots of wonderful nature, especially forests but other biotopes too. Hiking (also backcountry camping) is on the itinerary as the major activity, also some fishing would be nice (though not angling).
Major concern is availability of wilderness permits (quotas in many areas) and tent sites, since it´s the peak season. Any tips on what to reserve in advance and how early should we book? Also tips on beating the crowds (less travelled trailheads)?
Especially tips on the best trails in Sierras are welcome
Travel period: 2 months (June & July)
Area: California, Oregon, Washington, Yellowstone
Transportation: rental car + flight from Seattle to Bozeman
Route (as though so far):
In California: San Francisco - Monterey - Big Sur - Kings Canyon & Sequoia NP - Owens Valley - White Mountains (+ Inyo National Forest) - Mono Lake - Coastal redwood national and state parks
In Oregon: Klamath Lakes - Crater Lake - (Mount Hood, Sisters Wilderness or surrounding area) - (Columbia river gorge) - Portland
In Washington: Olympic National Park - (Vancouver Island) - Seattle --> Bozeman
+ Yellowstone area
Thanks for all the tips!
West coast forests and mountains tour
- 1 hawaii for 10 weeks
- 2 Which Florida Key to snorkel?
- 3 US West Coast - Car or Camper
- 4 Orlando to Salt Lake City route, end of January
- 5 Im new and need HELP to plan my Rv travel !!
- 6 Has anyone used AirBnB to find lodging?
- 7 Road Trip to Montana, Wyoming, Idaho & Oregon
- 8 Hey drivers, taking my grandmother to San Fran - lil help?!?
- 9 First time to Austin-San Antonio area
- 10 Bowers Museum - Need Restaurant Suggestions Nearby
- 11 St. Augustine, Florida
- 12 let's do a new Hawaii countdown
- 13 San Antonio
- 14 Maybe a trip to NYC will make my 16 year old think Mom's okay
- 15 hotel near Met NYC
- 16 Where should I move to?
- 17 Inexpensive Weekend Getaway- New England
- 18 Las Vegas to Zion National Park - Fear of Heights
- 19 Taking a Road trip Memphis through to Smokey Mtns.
- 20 Fripp island
- 21 2nd visit to California wine country, recommendations needed.
- 22 Help Requested for Winter Cross-Country Driving Move
- 23 Eataly in Chicago -- Coming Soon!
- 24 Where to stay for a Baltimore/DC trip
- 25 7 weeks Canada and USA. Help with itinerary please.