A biologist couple from Finland are going to make a summer tour on the west coast. We´d like to get some last minute tips about good hiking routes and secluded camping spots along our route - and why not also suggestions about other destinations.
The aim of the trip is to see lots of wonderful nature, especially forests but other biotopes too. Hiking (also backcountry camping) is on the itinerary as the major activity, also some fishing would be nice (though not angling).
Major concern is availability of wilderness permits (quotas in many areas) and tent sites, since it´s the peak season. Any tips on what to reserve in advance and how early should we book? Also tips on beating the crowds (less travelled trailheads)?
Especially tips on the best trails in Sierras are welcome
Travel period: 2 months (June & July)
Area: California, Oregon, Washington, Yellowstone
Transportation: rental car + flight from Seattle to Bozeman
Route (as though so far):
In California: San Francisco - Monterey - Big Sur - Kings Canyon & Sequoia NP - Owens Valley - White Mountains (+ Inyo National Forest) - Mono Lake - Coastal redwood national and state parks
In Oregon: Klamath Lakes - Crater Lake - (Mount Hood, Sisters Wilderness or surrounding area) - (Columbia river gorge) - Portland
In Washington: Olympic National Park - (Vancouver Island) - Seattle --> Bozeman
+ Yellowstone area
Thanks for all the tips!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Cruising the Cs: Canyon de Chelly, Canyonlands, and Capitol Reef
- 2 Eating Well In Manhatten
- 3 Secaucus as base for New York 3 days-advice
- 4 arizona rte 66
- 5 Driving conditions from Denver to Winter Park
- 6 Hawaii and...where?
- 7 Pacific Grove/Carmel CA area
- 8 Another Great DC Trip
- 9 Lunch near 9/11 Memorial
- 10 Gatlinburg/Smokies trip report, with photos and captions
- 11 Black History Museum
- 12 Wash DC VRBO recommendation
- 13 Chicago 2017
- 14 West coast to East Coast in April-May 2018
- 15 How much time in Badlands?
- 16 3-day beach weekend in FL Nov for 2 adults
- 17 Where to stay in Little Rock AR
- 18 seeking advice -- scenic drive from DC to Chapel Hill
- 19 DC Restaurants
- 20 Sequoia National Park/Kings Canyon/Amtrak/Tours/grandchild
- 21 Short Oregon Trip
- 22 usa roadtrip
- 23 Visiting San Antonio early November
- 24 Route from Denver to SteamboatSprings
- 25 Mardi Gras - avoid or embrace?