A biologist couple from Finland are going to make a summer tour on the west coast. We´d like to get some last minute tips about good hiking routes and secluded camping spots along our route - and why not also suggestions about other destinations.
The aim of the trip is to see lots of wonderful nature, especially forests but other biotopes too. Hiking (also backcountry camping) is on the itinerary as the major activity, also some fishing would be nice (though not angling).
Major concern is availability of wilderness permits (quotas in many areas) and tent sites, since it´s the peak season. Any tips on what to reserve in advance and how early should we book? Also tips on beating the crowds (less travelled trailheads)?
Especially tips on the best trails in Sierras are welcome
Travel period: 2 months (June & July)
Area: California, Oregon, Washington, Yellowstone
Transportation: rental car + flight from Seattle to Bozeman
Route (as though so far):
In California: San Francisco - Monterey - Big Sur - Kings Canyon & Sequoia NP - Owens Valley - White Mountains (+ Inyo National Forest) - Mono Lake - Coastal redwood national and state parks
In Oregon: Klamath Lakes - Crater Lake - (Mount Hood, Sisters Wilderness or surrounding area) - (Columbia river gorge) - Portland
In Washington: Olympic National Park - (Vancouver Island) - Seattle --> Bozeman
+ Yellowstone area
Thanks for all the tips!
West coast forests and mountains tour
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 fly fishing spring break - warm weather
- 2 Philadelphia Airport Hotels with Extended Parking
- 3 Wisconsin Dells, Lake Geneva or Door county for a family vacation?
- 4 New Hawaii countdown for 2014-15
- 5 Any edits? San Antonio & Austin Itinerary Dec 31st-Jan 5th or 6th
- 6 3 weeks in USA in February -- final post before booking hotels
- 7 Portsmouth NH to NYC
- 8 Help needed from USA experts... where to?
- 9 Lake Rabun Hotel
- 10 Dinner in Miami
- 11 Orlando to Savannah
- 12 Tipping advice
- 13 Best non-chic, non-strip Hotel choices in Las Vegas??
- 14 Road trip March from Atlanta
- 15 Arthritis and Humidity where to live?
- 16 After Chigago ? side trips- suggestions
- 17 Met Opera rush tickets - process changed again!
- 18 Need help planning weekend trips: Georgia, Chicago, Tennessee, Alaska?!
- 19 Family Reunion Ideas for Maine Coast
- 20 62 Hikers airlifted out of Kalalau Trail
- 21 Seattle hotel recommendation needed
- 22 Utah-Arizona National Parks intinary help needed
- 23 NYT article on exploring Los Angeles without a car
- 24 advice on possible employment in GA or NC rural areas
- 25 Zion, Bryce, Page, GC South Rim, and Arches