A biologist couple from Finland are going to make a summer tour on the west coast. We´d like to get some last minute tips about good hiking routes and secluded camping spots along our route - and why not also suggestions about other destinations.
The aim of the trip is to see lots of wonderful nature, especially forests but other biotopes too. Hiking (also backcountry camping) is on the itinerary as the major activity, also some fishing would be nice (though not angling).
Major concern is availability of wilderness permits (quotas in many areas) and tent sites, since it´s the peak season. Any tips on what to reserve in advance and how early should we book? Also tips on beating the crowds (less travelled trailheads)?
Especially tips on the best trails in Sierras are welcome
Travel period: 2 months (June & July)
Area: California, Oregon, Washington, Yellowstone
Transportation: rental car + flight from Seattle to Bozeman
Route (as though so far):
In California: San Francisco - Monterey - Big Sur - Kings Canyon & Sequoia NP - Owens Valley - White Mountains (+ Inyo National Forest) - Mono Lake - Coastal redwood national and state parks
In Oregon: Klamath Lakes - Crater Lake - (Mount Hood, Sisters Wilderness or surrounding area) - (Columbia river gorge) - Portland
In Washington: Olympic National Park - (Vancouver Island) - Seattle --> Bozeman
+ Yellowstone area
Thanks for all the tips!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 http://maleenhancementshop.info/vxl-male-mnhancement/
- 2 Coldest place you've ever been to?
- 3 Trip Report 2012 : 11 wonderful days in Alaska
- 4 North Rim, Page, Bryce & Zion Advice
- 5 fairfeld inn or Hampton inn
- 6 What type of hire car for Nat Parks in UT, AZ
- 7 Gate1 8 Day Grand Canyon tour review/ Comments
- 8 Middle aged and overweight - can I hike
- 9 Seattle and Vancouver/Victoria
- 10 Alaska cruise
- 11 Spur of the moment Chicago advice.
- 12 Sonoma
- 13 Family Colorado Road Trip
- 14 ONLY 2 DAYS IN WILLIAMSBURG
- 15 New Orleans
- 16 Maui Bed and Breakfast
- 17 Cruise to Alaska. Ports- Juneau, Sitka, Ketchikan, Victoria
- 18 Colorado Forest Die Off - How Awful Is It? Should We Visit Elsewhere?
- 19 Kentucky Derby Shuttle
- 20 Lowkey, waterfront, natural area for winter months--no high rises
- 21 Southwest/California NP roadtrip advice needed.
- 22 Walking Safety Near Boston Common
- 23 Hiking, Horses, Having fun: Family Adventure in Yellowstone & Grand Teton
- 24 Need advice-Early June Oregon Coast, Columbia River Gorge, Crater Lake
- 25 VRBO is now charging renters a service fee--What's up?