A biologist couple from Finland are going to make a summer tour on the west coast. We´d like to get some last minute tips about good hiking routes and secluded camping spots along our route - and why not also suggestions about other destinations.
The aim of the trip is to see lots of wonderful nature, especially forests but other biotopes too. Hiking (also backcountry camping) is on the itinerary as the major activity, also some fishing would be nice (though not angling).
Major concern is availability of wilderness permits (quotas in many areas) and tent sites, since it´s the peak season. Any tips on what to reserve in advance and how early should we book? Also tips on beating the crowds (less travelled trailheads)?
Especially tips on the best trails in Sierras are welcome
Travel period: 2 months (June & July)
Area: California, Oregon, Washington, Yellowstone
Transportation: rental car + flight from Seattle to Bozeman
Route (as though so far):
In California: San Francisco - Monterey - Big Sur - Kings Canyon & Sequoia NP - Owens Valley - White Mountains (+ Inyo National Forest) - Mono Lake - Coastal redwood national and state parks
In Oregon: Klamath Lakes - Crater Lake - (Mount Hood, Sisters Wilderness or surrounding area) - (Columbia river gorge) - Portland
In Washington: Olympic National Park - (Vancouver Island) - Seattle --> Bozeman
+ Yellowstone area
Thanks for all the tips!
West coast forests and mountains tour
- 1 15 hrs layoff at Miami International- Key West Possible ?
- 2 Charleston, Savannah and more cheesy grits please
- 3 Buy now or wait . . . airfare to Santa Barbara in late July?
- 4 Pick up north of Boston Logan
- 5 First-Time Hawaii Advice
- 6 Airport luggage tamparing
- 7 Kodachrome Basin State Park in Utah
- 8 Newport, RI Questions
- 9 Rehoboth to Wilmington to Cape May - scenic route suggestions please
- 10 Brandywine Valley for one or 2 nights - museum suggestions please
- 11 Road trip Sacramento to Denver, help requested
- 12 Maine - July 5th to July 14
- 13 Best place for rafting: Moab, Taos or Durango?
- 14 I-5 bridge over Skagit River collapses, cars with people in water |
- 15 How to plan San Diego trip
- 16 IMPORTANT! Hawaii Ocean Safety Tips!
- 17 Washington Wineries
- 18 California, Northern
- 19 GROCERY STORES MAUI, HAWAII
- 20 San Francisco,Monterey, Yosemite etc.!
- 21 Visitor ocean awareness Kauai/statewide
- 22 Maui. . .where to stay for local feel
- 23 Best museums and botanical gardens in the Hawaiian Islands?
- 24 Maui Rain Forest Hike vs Haleakala Crater Hike vs Downhill Bike Ride
- 25 Advice for 2 night intro trip to Moab in early June (1-3)