I saw a few posts about trips to the west coast - but - I wanted your opinion on our plans:
First - we are a family of 5, my wife, myself, and 3 boys (17,14 & 9) - we are planning a west coast trip next summer (mid July to mid August) and started putting together some ideas, including some indicative budget...comments, and ideas are more than welcome!!!!
- We plan to arrive in SF and tour SF for 2 days (no car for now) - we plan to stay in some of the cheap hotels/motel in south SF - indicative budget (IB): $100 per night (p/n) and $100 for food per day (p/d) - I guess we need to add entry fees to museums and some travel budget for cable car ride, subway, etc...)
- 2 extra days staying in South SF - use them for: 1 day trip to Napa Valley Vineyards and 1 day trip to Yosemite Park - IB: car rental $75 p/d, motel $100 p/n, food $100 p/d
- 5th day - start driving south - destination San Luis Obispo - drive through Monterrey, Carmel and Big Sur - stay the night in SL - IB: car rental ($75 p/d), motel $100, food $100
- 6th day - drive from SL to LA - drive through Santa Barbara - IB: car $75, food $75, motel in south LA $150 p/n
- 5 days in LA:
- 2 days for LA sightseeing
- 1 day Universal Studios
- 2 days Disneyland and Disney adventure park
IB: car $75 p/d, food $100 p/d, hotel $150 p/n, parks entry fees ... A LOT! lol
- 12th day - LA to San Diego - slow drive through the coast line - IB: car $75, food $100, hotel in SD $110 p/n
- 6 days in SD:
- 1 day legoland
- 1 day Sea World
- 1 day SD Zoo
- 1 day SD safari
- 1 day city/harbor tour
- 1 day - relax and shopping
IB: car $75 p/d, food $100 p/d, hotel $110 p/n, parks entry fees ... again ... A LOT!
- day 19 - 1 day driving to Phoenix, AZ - IB: car $75, food $100, hotel in Phoenix $90
- day 20 - morning Phoenix sightseeing - afternoon - drive to Flagstaff - stay the night in Flagstaff - IB: car $75, food $100, hotel in Flagstaff $80 p/n
- day 21 - 1 day trip to Grand Canyon - IB: car $75, food $100, hotel $80 - entry fee (?)
- day 22 - 1 day drive - Flagstaff to Las Vegas... IB: car $75, food $100, hotel in Vegas (cheap motel) $85 p/n
- 3 days in Vegas - relax - shows - sightseeing - etc... - IB: car $75, food $100, hotel $85 p/n - we are returning the cat in Vegas
- 25th day - overnight flight from Vegas to NYC
- 4 days in NYC (been there...so..easier to plan) - IB: food $100, hotel $230 p/n
- day 30th...flight back home
Of course we need to add to the budget the gas for the car (I've estimated roughly that we will be driving 2300 miles, and we can probably manage 30 miles per gallon, and at a $3.5 p/gallon, we should be in the $250 for gas) , extras for museums, other entry fees, shopping, etc...also, the budget is indicative based on the prices I can find in the internet for now...food budget is general, there are days that we will probably spend more, and there are days that we'll probably spend less, motels with kitchens or microwaves will reduce our food expenditure
I understand that to visit the Yosemite Park and the Grand Canyon we need to make our reservations in advance.
Is the above a reasonable plan? or is it too tight/loose?
Are there other places that we MUST see and we forgot?
Are there some of the places above not actually necessary?
Is the Indicative Budget (IB) reasonable?
Anything we've forgot?
Again, thanks in advance for any help/comments!!!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Pittsburgh to New York City
- 2 Nashville Questions
- 3 First Trip to Texas -
- 4 Resort/Hotel near Port Canaveral
- 5 Port Angelas -Vegas
- 6 Grand Circle - need to add 3 nights
- 7 Camping Road Trip with Kids - SD to Santa Fe
- 8 8-Hour Napali Fishing Charter with Kids?
- 9 Driving from NY to Boston in February
- 10 8 Days in Yellowstone/GTNP
- 11 Hyatt Regency Boston Harbor - how to get to the city?
- 12 Driving to Naples fl
- 13 Beaches in Florida
- 14 Must Sees in San Francisco
- 15 What to do in San Diego
- 16 Disney for Florida residents
- 17 Our Boston Getaway
- 18 Lines for Shakespeare in the park tickets
- 19 Whale Watching in Kauai
- 20 Ground Transportation Denver Airport to Downtown
- 21 4-5 day active vacation/road trip from NY/NJ
- 22 40th in Key West
- 23 San Francisco during Super Bowl week
- 24 Family Vacation for Mom's 80th Birthday
- 25 Downtown Chicago