I feel like I need to let people know about a hidden treasure. I grew up 2 hours from it, but didn't realize it existed until it was almost gone. The West Baden Springs Hotel in West Baden--in southern Indiana--is one of the most awesome buildings I've ever seen. It was a magnificent hotel built at the turn of the century and had the largest free-standing dome in the world for over 60 years (until the Astrodome was built). The dome, the exterior, lobby, dining room, and gardens have been restored. It is only about an hour north of Interstate 64 and maybe about 2 hours south of Indy. For anyone who is interested in architecture or history, it would be well worth your while to take this scenic side trip. I've been there twice, and I know I'll be taking others there, again.
West Baden, Indiana
View all United States activity »
- 1 Disney Florida - Which parks to go for 1.5 days?
- 2 Which is best place for visit in South Amrecia in December ?
- 3 Any additions to my general plan for 2 night stay in Jacksonville (no car)?
- 4 One day in Washington DC
- 5 let's do a new Hawaii countdown
- 6 Eataly in Chicago -- Coming Soon!
- 7 Tucson First Week or Last Week of March
- 8 7 weeks Canada and USA. Help with itinerary please.
- 9 San Francisco Hotel Help
- 10 San Antonio
- 11 hotel near Met NYC
- 12 Key West on NYE
- 13 Historic District Hotel, St. Augustine, Florida, February
- 14 Which Florida Key to snorkel?
- 15 Ft. Stewart/Savannah
- 16 If you drive through Greensboro during holiday time....
- 17 The impossible dream: Bypassing I-95 between DC and Richmond
- 18 suewoo and any other Charleston, SC experts
- 19 Long Weekend in KY: Bourbon Trail and Mammoth Cave
- 20 Hotel near Public Theater
- 21 Hollywood with 17yr old son
- 22 How to safely transport a newborn baby in downtown Chicago without your own car?
- 23 Oahu Information
- 24 Charlotte Area Suggestions
- 25 Wailea Maui Restaurants