I feel like I need to let people know about a hidden treasure. I grew up 2 hours from it, but didn't realize it existed until it was almost gone. The West Baden Springs Hotel in West Baden--in southern Indiana--is one of the most awesome buildings I've ever seen. It was a magnificent hotel built at the turn of the century and had the largest free-standing dome in the world for over 60 years (until the Astrodome was built). The dome, the exterior, lobby, dining room, and gardens have been restored. It is only about an hour north of Interstate 64 and maybe about 2 hours south of Indy. For anyone who is interested in architecture or history, it would be well worth your while to take this scenic side trip. I've been there twice, and I know I'll be taking others there, again.
West Baden, Indiana
- 1 San Francisco - one semi-splurge restaurant?
- 2 NYC Newbie Needs Advice Re JFK Transportation
- 3 Boston Area College Tour
- 4 2 Brits Travelling USA July-Aug 2013
- 5 Finally, seeing the Outer Banks
- 6 Best place to raise a family in Florida
- 7 Hiking/Camping Suggestions for VT, NH, & ME in August?
- 8 A Visit to Charleston
- 9 Hotel Suite Brands with Multiple Bedrooms?
- 10 Using public transit in San Diego
- 11 Boston three day trip report, with photos
- 12 Amtrak to DC, then sightseeing
- 13 Help with NYC transit
- 14 Just saw the Book of Mormon in Chicago ! Can we talk about it
- 15 Help finalizing August itinerary for Utah NPs (with a child)
- 16 1st time in Boston --need advice
- 17 Best places to stop New Orleans to Los Angeles
- 18 D.C. in a day
- 19 time for a new countdown to Hawaii
- 20 Need help with itinerary to Seattle, Oregon, California
- 21 What to see/do from north Texas area to SD (Mt. Rushmore area)
- 22 Boston, my 2 hour food shopping spree to satiate my man's needs
- 23 Williamsburg VA
- 24 Driving from Greensboro, NC, to Tampa
- 25 Cedar Point Wait Times