Food and flowers, baseball and hilly bus rides! Metro cops' conversations after 14 inning games - all will be revealed. Look here in the next few days for my Seattle trip report. Be warned, it is long. It has lots of detail and little to no complaint.
I'm so used to going South, East and North- that the longer Western flights have become a bummer in comparison. Totally worn out from the flights and the vacation so I had to go to work to rest! And then after that I had to retreive a homesick cockatiel and have him freak out for over a day upon return (no, you can not sleep on the bed post- Sydney- YOU do need to get back in your cage at some point. I know you missed us.)
But glorious weather, good food and numerous adventures did occur!
And the surly city-hater did have a good time, as well. He even admitted he could have done two more days if getting to Mt. Rainer would have been one of them.
Thank you in advance to all of those Fodorites from Seattle who gave me such great ideas and specific information. I used virtually all of them. And not only wore out some shoes, but bought some new Josef Seibel sandals to replace them- on this trip.
Glorious weather at Chicago end and at Seattle end- throughout the entire. A FIRST for probably 20 something USA trips. We've had more luck with Europe. LOL!
Day one- Midway just an easy walk through- flight on time usual experience for us. Arrive on time at SeaTac (actually 10 minutes early). Luggage comes off first- literally. We arrive at Mayflower Park Hotel and check in and are out for a walk and a drink at Oliver's- and then do the easy thing we always do. Which is a chain restaurant after arriving- no effort. And a P. F. Chang's is within spitting distance and that's the one we do. Good meal, good beer, good night.
We retire fairly early- since the very next morning is the Savor Seattle Food Tour- the Classics one. THANKS, suze.
Great beds, btw. 8th floor- but the first night the elevator was broke and they tried to charge me $35 more a day than the rate booked on quikbook at that. Both got remedied in fairly quick order, though. Elevator situation was ok for the entire rest of the week. I strongly rec the Mayflower for its location. Also because people are there when you need them and are not when you don't need them. PERFECT. My view is of Escala lady sign and Olive/ Stewart which is under construction. They were cutting concrete with saws and breaking from literally 5 am every day. We slept anyway and mostly got used to it so it wasn't even a complaint. We could also view the Mariners store and sports' outlet across the street. And Macy's- which is also under construction. Huge areas of downtown are. It's all very much on the uplift side of life, actually- in totality. All going from poorer times to better times- just there. Absolutely.
So with our maps and directions- we get ourselves to Pike's Starbucks on time and go off on our tour with Caroline. She was FAB, 26 and a former Seattle barkeep, server, waitress, etc. With earphones that connected us to her she took us on a 2-1/2 hour tour of many Pike Place Market vendors, with samples at each. And we also got some history and action (fish throwing) besides the eating.
More on this later- in post two. It's a good thing we had a ball game to go to that night, because we might have just drank a supper or went on a gelato binge or something after that tour.
Will be continued in Post #2
We have coffee here, but it's only drip! JJ5's Seattle Trip Report
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Vail or Aspen in summertime?
- 2 Half Moon Bay, CA - stay there or go to Napa Valley?
- 3 Relocating Tips - Mild Weather, Good Schools, Low Cost of Living
- 4 LA, San Diego and San Francisco in 8 days -- can/should we try?
- 5 Another Southwest Airlines Early Bird Question
- 6 LA via Death Valley, Grand Canyon to Vegas
- 7 Berkshires in late October
- 8 A tour of an Amish Community near Midland MI
- 9 No accomodation in Hana...should we forget about it?
- 10 NEW YORK CITY!!!
- 11 Major League Soccer clubs, what should FC Dallas do?
- 12 LUNCH IN ORLANDO, FL
- 13 Mesa Verde
- 14 5 days and 4 nights outside of San Francisco
- 15 Trip to the Adirondacks
- 16 Big Island Fans - will we like Maui?
- 17 Alaska trip -Labor Day weekend
- 18 Boston Logan airport to Salem MA
- 19 Need help with Yellowstone and area starting in SLC
- 20 Easiest US airports to get to/from with public transportation
- 21 Seattle Hyatts
- 22 California road trip
- 23 Suggestions for road trip with children from Birmingham, AL to Grand Canyon
- 24 Trip Report: An Intoxicating Birthday Day-Trip in Napa
- 25 Best beach in San Diego for family vacation ages 8-16