Hi, we are a family of 2 adults and a 6 year old from the UK, planning to fly in and out of Washington International airport for a 2 week trip at the end of August. We are also combining our trip with visiting our friends who live near Raleigh, NC. Our initial idea was to drive down through Shenandoah NP, maybe as far as Smoky Mountains (not sure if this distance is achievable, or whether we need to bother going as far as the Smokys?) for 3/4 days, then onto our friends in Raleigh for a few days and finish off with a few days in the Outer Banks before heading back up to Washington and home. We are not huge fans of cities and prefer to enjoy the natural scenery instead. Any ideas, suggestions, advice, routes etc would be very gratefully received!
Washington, Smoky Mountains & Outer Banks
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Mesa Verde
- 2 Vail or Aspen in summertime?
- 3 Long Beach Aquarium Trip
- 4 New England in the fall
- 5 Itinerary opinions
- 6 A tour of an Amish Community near Midland MI
- 7 Relocating Tips - Mild Weather, Good Schools, Low Cost of Living
- 8 Paved bike path near Bryce Canyon, through Red Canyon
- 9 Hiking Arches or Canyonlands National Park in fall?
- 10 Help w road trip from Huntington Beach to SF, skipping LA area
- 11 Recommendations for accommodation in San Diego?
- 12 Help on which island(s) for Scuba Divers
- 13 Washington/Oregon....trip ideas
- 14 Trip Report - Santa Monica, Dinosaur, Steamboat, and Telluride
- 15 Heading to Maine in September - Where are the moose?
- 16 NYC Clubs for live music
- 17 relocating travel
- 18 Need help with Yellowstone and area starting in SLC
- 19 Seattle Hyatts
- 20 Long Weekend in KY: Bourbon Trail and Mammoth Cave
- 21 Ideas for 1st time trip to LA/Santa Monica/Hollywood with 16 yr old
- 22 Big Island Fans - will we like Maui?
- 23 Another Southwest Airlines Early Bird Question
- 24 Bar Harbor Maine to Boston
- 25 Bath County, VA - anyone ever been?