Hi, we are a family of 2 adults and a 6 year old from the UK, planning to fly in and out of Washington International airport for a 2 week trip at the end of August. We are also combining our trip with visiting our friends who live near Raleigh, NC. Our initial idea was to drive down through Shenandoah NP, maybe as far as Smoky Mountains (not sure if this distance is achievable, or whether we need to bother going as far as the Smokys?) for 3/4 days, then onto our friends in Raleigh for a few days and finish off with a few days in the Outer Banks before heading back up to Washington and home. We are not huge fans of cities and prefer to enjoy the natural scenery instead. Any ideas, suggestions, advice, routes etc would be very gratefully received!
Washington, Smoky Mountains & Outer Banks
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 driving from San Francisco to Seattle
- 2 Feedback on Palm Springs with Kids Itinerary
- 3 Best places to move to Florida?
- 4 West Coast Bound End of March
- 5 Your favorite Glacier NP lodging and itinerary help
- 6 Grand Circle & Wyoming
- 7 Philly sports fans: bar needed...and running route.
- 8 Here's how I spent my 3 hour layover in Washington, DC
- 9 Oahu ideas
- 10 Vacation rentals in Tucson
- 11 Key Largo, FL
- 12 Death Valley in June in a motorhome
- 13 Death Valley in June
- 14 travel up the coast from San Franciso to Seattle
- 15 Rodeo Near Tulsa or Woodward?
- 16 San Diego grocery stores
- 17 Gatlinburg Tennessee Itinerary suggestions
- 18 Big Island Trip Report: Hooked on Hilo; Kohala Coast is Costly!
- 19 Yes it's March, but let's talk Christmas destinations!
- 20 Planning help for honeymoon - likely Maui and the big island of Hawaii
- 21 Southern California Dining Guide - 2014/2015
- 22 Need an interesting place for one night near Memphis
- 23 Nude Beaches- Positive or Negative Experience?
- 24 Buy GoPro Hero3
- 25 Down to three New York City hotels for December visit