I'm new to Fodors and thought I'd get some advise on a trip I'm planning for early November.
my sister and I plan to go to Seattle for a Seahawks game and while we're in the PNW we'd like to visit Oregon and Vancouver, if possible. We plan to be over there for about a week. However, quick background, we're from Miami ... flat a land as you can get. As paranoid as it sounds, I'm a lil concerned about driving through mountainous areas, cliff roads, etc. I've read through other posts that the best way to get to Oregon from Seattle and vice versa is through I-5, however, we are very interested in visiting, at the very least, the Northern Oregon coast and Portland.
I guess my questions are, is the drive from Seattle to say, Astoria and Cannon Beach dangerous? Also, being November, is there cause for concern for icy roads?
What advise would you offer to someone who is not familiar with driving in icy road conditions, mountains / elevations?
Any advise would be greatly appreciated
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 San Francisco to Seattle in a day (fires in Oregon)
- 2 Mesa Verde question
- 3 Planning our Move
- 4 NYC 9/11 Tour - best options?
- 5 Wilmington DE questions
- 6 Road Trip Travel Advice - 2 Days or 3?
- 7 Kauai: First Trip Help Please
- 8 Getting from Seatac airport to downtown Seattle
- 9 Great Smoky Mountains trip: Tennessee or North Carolina?
- 10 Inexpensive Restaurants Near Canyonlands and Capitol Reef?
- 11 2 Grannies, 2 parents & 1 three-yr-old
- 12 Best options for viewing, learning about lava flows on Big Island?
- 13 Road trip during Winters in Utah-NV
- 14 Need tips for 14 day alaska trip Please help!
- 15 50th wedding anniversary in Hawaii??
- 16 Hawaii at Christmas with older teens
- 17 Sperry chalet destroyed by fire
- 18 Overnight stay along Newburyport/Rockport train line
- 19 Best Marriott options NYC using Marriott points
- 20 9 day family New England Trip October - Advice
- 21 Hotel advise Chicago
- 22 Maui and Kauai
- 23 Santa Fe and Taos in November
- 24 Botanical gardens on Maui, Hilo, and Kauai: how much do they differ?
- 25 Good gift for my father who loves to travel