I will be in Washington DC from December 27 - 31 (flying in/out of IAD). I've been working on the sights I'd like to see (assuming everything is open by then), but now I need to book a hotel. I'm having a little trouble figuring out desirable area(s) in terms of convenience in getting around and nearby Metro stations.
Any thoughts on Grand Hyatt Washington (1000 H Street NW)? They say there is a Metro station convenient to their lobby, but I don't see one on Google maps. Google maps show "M" icons, which I assume is for Metro stations, but then they also show blue bus icons of which there seem to be many more. Am I simply wrong in assuming that we will use the Metro (M) to get around? Or will we actually be taking buses? I printed out the DC Transit Guide map. I'm not sure if this correspond to the M icons or bus icons on Google maps. Any other areas/hotels I should consider? We would like to stay in the range of around $100/night or less. Is there a Hilton hotel that could be recommended in this price range? It would be great if we could add onto our Hilton points, but that's not our priority.
If it helps in determining a good area to recommend, the sights we'd like to see include: Supreme Court, US Capitol, Smithsonian Institute (don't know which museum to visit yet), Washington Monument, Lincoln Memorial, all the war memorials, White House, Pentagon, Arlington Cemetery, Tomb of the Unknowns, JFK Eternal Flame, Kennedy Center, Exorcist stairs, Georgetown.
Thank you for your help!!
Washington DC questions
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 What a great weekend in Cooperstown (July 24-27)
- 2 Seattle, Portland, and day trips all around
- 3 A weekend escape around cooperstown ny
- 4 Atascadero -> Pacific Grove -> San Francisco
- 5 Half Moon Bay, CA - stay there or go to Napa Valley?
- 6 Road Trip SW
- 7 Lighting for photos at Mt Ranier
- 8 Santa Barbara, California
- 9 Nice Houston area spa for mother-daughter
- 10 Seatle in September 19-22, Where to stay? Avg prices?
- 11 Aloha from Paradise (aka Kauai)
- 12 Kauai -- Music Lovers!!!
- 13 DENALI FLIGHTSEEING/BUS TOUR OPTION?
- 14 Day Cruise from Whittier or Steward?
- 15 May visit to Denali
- 16 Boston to Chicago drive (things to do)
- 17 Fancy car rental - LA to Vegas!
- 18 Best places to stay on drive from Houston to Los Angeles
- 19 Fall vacation in Colorado
- 20 Philly
- 21 Chelsea Antiques Garage flea market -- RIP
- 22 NYC IN AUGUST
- 23 Hearst Castle - Is the Grand Rooms tour really the best for first timers?
- 24 3 days, 4 nights in Denver
- 25 Central Park Fall Foliage