I'm going to be travelling to the southern states in late April and early May/2013. This trip will be around 3 weeks in length. In a nutshell, we'll be landing in Dallas and renting a car there. We'll then be making a big loop including San Antonio - east to New Orleans - north to Memphis - then back to Dallas.
Now here's the thing, the big cities aren't the issues, i think i have enough information about them - we're really interested in travelling off the beaten path a little bit. We don't mind travelling two-lane highways or even gravel roads. We want to get a true "feel" of that area and in my experience, visiting small towns and out of the way places is one great way to do that. We want to see the hills of Texas, the bayous of Louisiana, the backroads of Mississippi and as much as possible in between. We want to eat rural food and listen to some good old down home music - country, blues, zydeco... We love taking pictures of old farms and buildings and scenery that hasn't been seen on a million postcards.
Can anyone out there give us some advice and tips? I realize that seeing the "showcase" places are important, and we'll be doing that, but i'd love some advice on seeing some of the sights on the roads less travelled.
Thank you for any advice/opinions that you have to offer...
(i'll be posting this under each of the three states mentioned)
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Broadway Banter revived, Spring 2015!
- 2 traveling to Nashville
- 3 Help finalize my Colorado activities & lodging
- 4 Driving from New York to Atlanta,Ga
- 5 NYC Vacation Packages - Two Thumbs Up!
- 6 Alaska Trip Report: Anchorage, Denali, Seward, Juneau & Glacier Bay
- 7 Transportation Newark/High Line and Penn Station/Newark
- 8 Build a Chicago itinerary?
- 9 Driving route: Monument Valley to Moab on hot day
- 10 Miami Transportation Mid-Beach to South Beach
- 11 6 days in Boston - review itinerary & other recs needed
- 12 Seattle to Portland- ideas for places to stay?
- 13 Cody, Wyoming rodeo
- 14 Our Badlands, Black Hills, Yellowstone Adventure, June 2015
- 15 Best route to Cody?
- 16 Las Vegas
- 17 Los Angeles 4 nghts/5days
- 18 Yosemite and Sequoia
- 19 Bath County, VA - anyone ever been?
- 20 national/state park in November
- 21 Road trip NYC to Dallas
- 22 Family trip to San Diego. Itinerary help!
- 23 50th in Hawaii
- 24 Florida Family vacation in California
- 25 Western Trip - CO, Utah, NV