I'm going to be travelling to the southern states in late April and early May/2013. This trip will be around 3 weeks in length. In a nutshell, we'll be landing in Dallas and renting a car there. We'll then be making a big loop including San Antonio - east to New Orleans - north to Memphis - then back to Dallas.
Now here's the thing, the big cities aren't the issues, i think i have enough information about them - we're really interested in travelling off the beaten path a little bit. We don't mind travelling two-lane highways or even gravel roads. We want to get a true "feel" of that area and in my experience, visiting small towns and out of the way places is one great way to do that. We want to see the hills of Texas, the bayous of Louisiana, the backroads of Mississippi and as much as possible in between. We want to eat rural food and listen to some good old down home music - country, blues, zydeco... We love taking pictures of old farms and buildings and scenery that hasn't been seen on a million postcards.
Can anyone out there give us some advice and tips? I realize that seeing the "showcase" places are important, and we'll be doing that, but i'd love some advice on seeing some of the sights on the roads less travelled.
Thank you for any advice/opinions that you have to offer...
(i'll be posting this under each of the three states mentioned)
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Martha's Vineyard_Day Trip
- 2 Condos in Kauai and Big Island
- 3 Parking fine
- 4 Another Quick NYC Trip - Food Ideas?
- 5 Boston travel to North Carolina
- 6 Traveling to NYC - staying over Thanksgiving
- 7 AC Hotels cheap by clean
- 8 Vegas/California May 2016
- 9 Overwhelmed by Alaskan shore excursion choices
- 10 San Diego Clothing Help (woman)
- 11 Eugene, OR/Redwoods/San Francisco
- 12 The Southern Coast of Maine 3 nights
- 13 After FL and CA, where else in the US with a 7-year-old?
- 14 CA AZ UT NV Road Trip
- 15 DC/MD/VA GTG in the Fall, Lunch on Oct. 3
- 16 Washington Monument Reservtions and timing ~ plus Paddleboats
- 17 To Schenectady to Trains to Spanish Immersion Course in Mexico
- 18 Staying at Belvedere in Sept--how early to make reservations?
- 19 Hilton Hawaiian Village Resort
- 20 My Maine Trip Report
- 21 Berkshires with a toddler
- 22 hilicopter tour oahu
- 23 a lovely week in Grand Lake
- 24 Glacier National Park, should we cancel our plans?
- 25 Afternoon in Philadelphia