I'm going to be travelling to the southern states in late April and early May/2013. This trip will be around 3 weeks in length. In a nutshell, we'll be landing in Dallas and renting a car there. We'll then be making a big loop including San Antonio - east to New Orleans - north to Memphis - then back to Dallas.
Now here's the thing, the big cities aren't the issues, i think i have enough information about them - we're really interested in travelling off the beaten path a little bit. We don't mind travelling two-lane highways or even gravel roads. We want to get a true "feel" of that area and in my experience, visiting small towns and out of the way places is one great way to do that. We want to see the hills of Texas, the bayous of Louisiana, the backroads of Mississippi and as much as possible in between. We want to eat rural food and listen to some good old down home music - country, blues, zydeco... We love taking pictures of old farms and buildings and scenery that hasn't been seen on a million postcards.
Can anyone out there give us some advice and tips? I realize that seeing the "showcase" places are important, and we'll be doing that, but i'd love some advice on seeing some of the sights on the roads less travelled.
Thank you for any advice/opinions that you have to offer...
(i'll be posting this under each of the three states mentioned)
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Favorite Open Air Venues
- 2 On the Road: from Texas to Georgia. questions about NC
- 3 Warning About Dollar Rent a Car in Lower Manhattan
- 4 Best route in winter from Washington DC to Niagara Falls
- 5 Xmas in new york
- 6 Charleston and Asheville
- 7 Retiring to Colorado
- 8 NYC: (Mostly) Solo, and (Mostly) No Top Tens!
- 9 Sanibel-Captiva adult getaway
- 10 Best MGM owned hotel on the Las Vegas Strip?
- 11 Myrtle Beach, N.C.
- 12 Restaurant recomendations in the east 54th Street area, please.
- 13 NYC Suggestions - Six Week Trip…?
- 14 Best quality lodging Solitude Utah
- 15 Drive from San Francisco to Seattle
- 16 Casino Del Sol Resort Tucson
- 17 Los Angeles one night only mid week
- 18 My CA itinerary
- 19 6 days in Boston with kids - a lovely family vacation
- 20 Will be in Palm Springs CA November 14-29, 2015
- 21 Ft Lauderdale Hotels on the beach with Balconies
- 22 Washington D.C. with a 5 year old!
- 23 Spring Break/Master's Tickets 2016
- 24 Dallas or Atlanta in January??
- 25 Nashville 2016