I'm going to be travelling to the southern states in late April and early May/2013. This trip will be around 3 weeks in length. In a nutshell, we'll be landing in Dallas and renting a car there. We'll then be making a big loop including San Antonio - east to New Orleans - north to Memphis - then back to Dallas.
Now here's the thing, the big cities aren't the issues, i think i have enough information about them - we're really interested in travelling off the beaten path a little bit. We don't mind travelling two-lane highways or even gravel roads. We want to get a true "feel" of that area and in my experience, visiting small towns and out of the way places is one great way to do that. We want to see the hills of Texas, the bayous of Louisiana, the backroads of Mississippi and as much as possible in between. We want to eat rural food and listen to some good old down home music - country, blues, zydeco... We love taking pictures of old farms and buildings and scenery that hasn't been seen on a million postcards.
Can anyone out there give us some advice and tips? I realize that seeing the "showcase" places are important, and we'll be doing that, but i'd love some advice on seeing some of the sights on the roads less travelled.
Thank you for any advice/opinions that you have to offer...
(i'll be posting this under each of the three states mentioned)
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Best restaurants?! - first time to NYC!
- 2 Lake Tahoe hotel with a lake view
- 3 What to pack
- 4 Napa valley getaway
- 5 Trip Report: 2 weeks from SF to Yellowstone and back, June 2016
- 6 Los Angeles Indefinitely
- 7 CA Fire - need revised itinerary help
- 8 Boston waterfront Italian
- 9 Day in Spokane
- 10 summer vacation
- 11 Kids Vacation Place
- 12 AUGUST---7 day San Fran to San Diego
- 13 Honolulu Hotel Resort Fees
- 14 Road trip from Gulf Coast to Key West
- 15 Aug. cruise wardrobe
- 16 Need help with National Parks trip in 2017
- 17 First time, Best business class?
- 18 Restaurant Recs for Minneapolis
- 19 Planning Rim2Rim Hike at Grand Canyon
- 20 Spa at THE Hotel at Mandalay Bay
- 21 Zion and Bryce in July
- 22 Moving from Fresno CA to highpoint NC
- 23 Itinerary Help Needed
- 24 Trip Report 2012 : 11 wonderful days in Alaska
- 25 SW Colorado/San Juan Skyway ideas?