I'm going to be travelling to the southern states in late April and early May/2013. This trip will be around 3 weeks in length. In a nutshell, we'll be landing in Dallas and renting a car there. We'll then be making a big loop including San Antonio - east to New Orleans - north to Memphis - then back to Dallas.
Now here's the thing, the big cities aren't the issues, i think i have enough information about them - we're really interested in travelling off the beaten path a little bit. We don't mind travelling two-lane highways or even gravel roads. We want to get a true "feel" of that area and in my experience, visiting small towns and out of the way places is one great way to do that. We want to see the hills of Texas, the bayous of Louisiana, the backroads of Mississippi and as much as possible in between. We want to eat rural food and listen to some good old down home music - country, blues, zydeco... We love taking pictures of old farms and buildings and scenery that hasn't been seen on a million postcards.
Can anyone out there give us some advice and tips? I realize that seeing the "showcase" places are important, and we'll be doing that, but i'd love some advice on seeing some of the sights on the roads less travelled.
Thank you for any advice/opinions that you have to offer...
(i'll be posting this under each of the three states mentioned)
Wanting to travel a little of the road less travelled...
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Flight Deals to Hawaii From Nashville?
- 2 zion, Bryce,grand canyon
- 3 Best to do list on Hawaii
- 4 Yellowstone in the winter?
- 5 Maui - Haleakala
- 6 Centrally located hotel in Philadelphia
- 7 HELP WITH SONOMA AREA ITINERARY
- 8 Kauai - rainy forecast every day of our trip!
- 9 Italian restaurants in NYC
- 10 Utah restaurants
- 11 Vegas, Grand Canyon, Utah National Parks trip advice
- 12 Kauai Garden tours
- 13 San Diego: Point Loma>Ocean Beach
- 14 Small group dining in Napa area
- 15 Another Perfect Visit to Paradise: Kauai
- 16 Toddler in California but where to go?
- 17 Glacier National Park 10 Days
- 18 Wyndham timeshares--should we or shouldn't
- 19 A short stay in LA...Trip Report
- 20 Montana- what are must see places?
- 21 Favorite Casual D.C. Restaurants?
- 22 Planning a Day Trip from Poughkeepsie (Returning by 6pm)
- 23 Los Angeles day trips
- 24 Knock Off Shopping in NYC
- 25 Rental Services