I'm going to be travelling to the southern states in late April and early May/2013. This trip will be around 3 weeks in length. In a nutshell, we'll be landing in Dallas and renting a car there. We'll then be making a big loop including San Antonio - east to New Orleans - north to Memphis - then back to Dallas.
Now here's the thing, the big cities aren't the issues, i think i have enough information about them - we're really interested in travelling off the beaten path a little bit. We don't mind travelling two-lane highways or even gravel roads. We want to get a true "feel" of that area and in my experience, visiting small towns and out of the way places is one great way to do that. We want to see the hills of Texas, the bayous of Louisiana, the backroads of Mississippi and as much as possible in between. We want to eat rural food and listen to some good old down home music - country, blues, zydeco... We love taking pictures of old farms and buildings and scenery that hasn't been seen on a million postcards.
Can anyone out there give us some advice and tips? I realize that seeing the "showcase" places are important, and we'll be doing that, but i'd love some advice on seeing some of the sights on the roads less travelled.
Thank you for any advice/opinions that you have to offer...
(i'll be posting this under each of the three states mentioned)
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Alternative Techniques For Fat Loss
- 2 http://newmusclesupplements.com/rexgain/
- 3 Finding Steve Perry
- 4 First time Disney & Legoland hotel suggestions and any advice please
- 5 Asheville Hotel Indigo
- 6 Sheraton Hotel at Bradley Airport. Conn
- 7 Monday Morning Traffic to Laguardia from NW CT
- 8 Montross/Ouray in the rain. Also foliage
- 9 Road Trip/Excursions for a weekend outside of Denver
- 10 Driving from Orlando, Fl to Austin, TX
- 11 Cross-Country trip advice
- 12 New England itinerary help
- 13 Chicago Hotel Recommendations
- 14 Spur of moment trip to CA, best way to spend our time
- 15 South Beach in October
- 16 Casinos near Anaheim, CA?
- 17 Tksgiving trip Anacortes or Whidbey Island?
- 18 Seattle first timers....outdoor trip in October
- 19 las vegas anyone
- 20 Mnnpls--what to do, culture and food
- 21 University of Florida Public Campus Parking
- 22 One day coastal New England fall foliage
- 23 San Jose to Napa Valley
- 24 Broadway Banter? Fall 2016 - calling HowardR
- 25 Fall colours first 2 weeks of October Boston area