I'm going to be travelling to the southern states in late April and early May/2013. This trip will be around 3 weeks in length. In a nutshell, we'll be landing in Dallas and renting a car there. We'll then be making a big loop including San Antonio - east to New Orleans - north to Memphis - then back to Dallas.
Now here's the thing, the big cities aren't the issues, i think i have enough information about them - we're really interested in travelling off the beaten path a little bit. We don't mind travelling two-lane highways or even gravel roads. We want to get a true "feel" of that area and in my experience, visiting small towns and out of the way places is one great way to do that. We want to see the hills of Texas, the bayous of Louisiana, the backroads of Mississippi and as much as possible in between. We want to eat rural food and listen to some good old down home music - country, blues, zydeco... We love taking pictures of old farms and buildings and scenery that hasn't been seen on a million postcards.
Can anyone out there give us some advice and tips? I realize that seeing the "showcase" places are important, and we'll be doing that, but i'd love some advice on seeing some of the sights on the roads less travelled.
Thank you for any advice/opinions that you have to offer...
(i'll be posting this under each of the three states mentioned)
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 A weekend in Alaska: Northern Lights and more
- 2 San Diego, Yosemite, Napa
- 3 Help with itinerary...4 days in DC
- 4 Kauai in November
- 5 Pacific Coast Drive, San Francisco to Seattle
- 6 Southwest Colorado and beetle kill
- 7 UBER in NYC?
- 8 Boston/Cape/ Back to Boston (Or Have we Made a Big Mistake?)
- 9 Cape Cod in September with toddler
- 10 Grade 12 subjects
- 11 Route Dr. - FLA speed traps?
- 12 what western states to spend the most time in
- 13 Yellowstone Lake Scenic Cruise
- 14 easy to access car rental near but not in Logan Airport
- 15 San Francisco Itinerary help
- 16 New Orleans/long weekend in September
- 17 SW Colorado and Moab, UT
- 18 Alcatraz Tour in SF
- 19 What's There to Do in Kauai???
- 20 San Francisco accommodation suggestions for November
- 21 San Francisco Area - 8 days
- 22 Thousand Islands - Must Dos
- 23 Hollywood Beach, Margarittaville Resort
- 24 Road trip fron San Francisco to Seattle
- 25 Planning for June 2017 Grand Canyon Trip