I'm going to be travelling to the southern states in late April and early May/2013. This trip will be around 3 weeks in length. In a nutshell, we'll be landing in Dallas and renting a car there. We'll then be making a big loop including San Antonio - east to New Orleans - north to Memphis - then back to Dallas.
Now here's the thing, the big cities aren't the issues, i think i have enough information about them - we're really interested in travelling off the beaten path a little bit. We don't mind travelling two-lane highways or even gravel roads. We want to get a true "feel" of that area and in my experience, visiting small towns and out of the way places is one great way to do that. We want to see the hills of Texas, the bayous of Louisiana, the backroads of Mississippi and as much as possible in between. We want to eat rural food and listen to some good old down home music - country, blues, zydeco... We love taking pictures of old farms and buildings and scenery that hasn't been seen on a million postcards.
Can anyone out there give us some advice and tips? I realize that seeing the "showcase" places are important, and we'll be doing that, but i'd love some advice on seeing some of the sights on the roads less travelled.
Thank you for any advice/opinions that you have to offer...
(i'll be posting this under each of the three states mentioned)
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Austin with Kids
- 2 Hotel suggestions San Francisco
- 3 NYC - Sargent - Sorolla
- 4 Choosing between a few cities for a long weekend trip
- 5 South Carolina
- 6 Austin Getaway
- 7 Maine
- 8 Driving From Florida to Maryland
- 9 Senior Travel Helper
- 10 Southern Cali itinerary help
- 11 Road trip to Utah in Dec 2015
- 12 Help with driving East to West
- 13 New York City Transportation Experts - this one is for you!
- 14 Yellowstone in Early October?
- 15 Long weekend in D.C. With family
- 16 Alcatraz Tour Tickets - Resell or cancel possible?
- 17 NYC Suggestions - Six Week Trip…?
- 18 Vermont/New Hampshire
- 19 WestInn Times Sq. eating and transport options please
- 20 Pacific coast road trip
- 21 5 nights/6 days in Honolulu during Thanksgiving
- 22 Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown and Yorktown in 1 day
- 23 MANN FAMILY FARM- BOLINAS CA: Do You Know This Area?
- 24 Quick out of Atlanta Get Away with the Kids... New Orleans? Miami?
- 25 Where to stay in Kansas City MO/What to do