I'm going to be travelling to the southern states in late April and early May/2013. This trip will be around 3 weeks in length. In a nutshell, we'll be landing in Dallas and renting a car there. We'll then be making a big loop including San Antonio - east to New Orleans - north to Memphis - then back to Dallas.
Now here's the thing, the big cities aren't the issues, i think i have enough information about them - we're really interested in travelling off the beaten path a little bit. We don't mind travelling two-lane highways or even gravel roads. We want to get a true "feel" of that area and in my experience, visiting small towns and out of the way places is one great way to do that. We want to see the hills of Texas, the bayous of Louisiana, the backroads of Mississippi and as much as possible in between. We want to eat rural food and listen to some good old down home music - country, blues, zydeco... We love taking pictures of old farms and buildings and scenery that hasn't been seen on a million postcards.
Can anyone out there give us some advice and tips? I realize that seeing the "showcase" places are important, and we'll be doing that, but i'd love some advice on seeing some of the sights on the roads less travelled.
Thank you for any advice/opinions that you have to offer...
(i'll be posting this under each of the three states mentioned)
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 http://buyhealthsupplement.com/ultra-boost-force/
- 2 Dermabellix Reviews Does Dermabellix really work?
- 3 6 days to drive from Wisconsin to Florida solo?
- 4 family with 3 boys needing help for west coast itinerary
- 5 Trip Report 2012 : 11 wonderful days in Alaska
- 6 What type of hire car for Nat Parks in UT, AZ
- 7 Help me with this
- 8 NYC For The Day
- 9 Las Vegas to Grand Canyon in August
- 10 Walking Safety Near Boston Common
- 11 2 hours international transit in DFW airport
- 12 JFK Terminal 8
- 13 Seattle or Portland or Vancouver?
- 14 Southwest/California NP roadtrip advice needed.
- 15 Breckenridge, Estes Park, and Fort Collins in May
- 16 California Trip
- 17 Atlanta With Toddler
- 18 What do you think of my Yellowstone itinerary - August 2017?
- 19 Washington DC in July - hotel, and what items to book now
- 20 Atlanta airport to Marietta, GA traffic
- 21 Sunniest place to stay in Kauai
- 22 Tohono Chul Tucson?
- 23 AR State Parks
- 24 Seattle and Vancouver/Victoria
- 25 Need advice-Early June Oregon Coast, Columbia River Gorge, Crater Lake