I'm going to be travelling to the southern states in late April and early May/2013. This trip will be around 3 weeks in length. In a nutshell, we'll be landing in Dallas and renting a car there. We'll then be making a big loop including San Antonio - east to New Orleans - north to Memphis - then back to Dallas.
Now here's the thing, the big cities aren't the issues, i think i have enough information about them - we're really interested in travelling off the beaten path a little bit. We don't mind travelling two-lane highways or even gravel roads. We want to get a true "feel" of that area and in my experience, visiting small towns and out of the way places is one great way to do that. We want to see the hills of Texas, the bayous of Louisiana, the backroads of Mississippi and as much as possible in between. We want to eat rural food and listen to some good old down home music - country, blues, zydeco... We love taking pictures of old farms and buildings and scenery that hasn't been seen on a million postcards.
Can anyone out there give us some advice and tips? I realize that seeing the "showcase" places are important, and we'll be doing that, but i'd love some advice on seeing some of the sights on the roads less travelled.
Thank you for any advice/opinions that you have to offer...
(i'll be posting this under each of the three states mentioned)
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Day Tripping in Florida Keys
- 2 JFK TO MANHATTEN
- 3 Travelling from NYC to Washington Depot
- 4 http://www.tenedonlineshop.com/derma-vibrance/
- 5 Derma Vibrance Skin Serum
- 6 http://newhealthsupplement.com/exoslim/
- 7 International transferring planes at CDG
- 8 Chinese restaurants in D.C.?
- 9 Are you sick from Alaskan tour?
- 10 NYC Airport transport (well, Newark)
- 11 Need advise sightseeing Seattle - Pendleton - Twin Falls - Yellowstone
- 12 Springfield, Illinois and no car. Worth a slight detour?
- 13 EWR to Staten Island 9:50PM
- 14 Pls help keep dolphins happy & healthy
- 15 blue ridge parkway?
- 16 What's the 14th Street area like?
- 17 My Avis/kona rental experience
- 18 San Diego, mission valley
- 19 First Trip to New Mexico
- 20 Taxi from Honolulu airport to hotels
- 21 San Diego Sunset or La Jolla
- 22 Hamilton - Are There Bad Seats at the Rodgers?
- 23 November redwoods trip
- 24 Charleston - how long to stay?
- 25 Road Trip/Excursions for a weekend outside of Denver