I'm going to be travelling to the southern states in late April and early May/2013. This trip will be around 3 weeks in length. In a nutshell, we'll be landing in Dallas and renting a car there. We'll then be making a big loop including San Antonio - east to New Orleans - north to Memphis - then back to Dallas.
Now here's the thing, the big cities aren't the issues, i think i have enough information about them - we're really interested in travelling off the beaten path a little bit. We don't mind travelling two-lane highways or even gravel roads. We want to get a true "feel" of that area and in my experience, visiting small towns and out of the way places is one great way to do that. We want to see the hills of Texas, the bayous of Louisiana, the backroads of Mississippi and as much as possible in between. We want to eat rural food and listen to some good old down home music - country, blues, zydeco... We love taking pictures of old farms and buildings and scenery that hasn't been seen on a million postcards.
Can anyone out there give us some advice and tips? I realize that seeing the "showcase" places are important, and we'll be doing that, but i'd love some advice on seeing some of the sights on the roads less travelled.
Thank you for any advice/opinions that you have to offer...
(i'll be posting this under each of the three states mentioned)
Wanting to travel a little of the road less travelled...
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Disappointed with Budget Car Rental Las Vegas
- 2 Hawaii is still Hell
- 3 Tallest and largest living Saguaros at Saguaro National Park
- 4 Jersey Shore to NYC?
- 5 September Long Weekend in SW Colorado
- 6 Road Trip From Miami to New York, Ideas please!
- 7 Chicago - Girl Scout Itinerary
- 8 Charleston, SC 5 days
- 9 Spring Break in Charleston
- 10 Friendship, fiddling, and freezing in Boston
- 11 Charleston Airport Hotel
- 12 Berkshires
- 13 Prince of Wales or Many Glacier? WHY?
- 14 Sea world San Diego
- 15 Suggested route for National Park's drive, starting in Glacier NP.........
- 16 Student-budget trip to NewYorkCity HELP please
- 17 Need a recommendation for lodging on Kauai (North or South side of Island)
- 18 Car rentals- San Francisco
- 19 Fiery Furnace Hike in Arches national park
- 20 Portland to San Fransisco in 7 days in mid March
- 21 Las Vegas in March
- 22 Just started to plan my Mid-March visit to Alaska!
- 23 Where is the best shrimp on Oahu
- 24 Hotel: Union Sq. or Fisherman's Wharf?
- 25 Clearwater visit.