I'm going to be travelling to the southern states in late April and early May/2013. This trip will be around 3 weeks in length. In a nutshell, we'll be landing in Dallas and renting a car there. We'll then be making a big loop including San Antonio - east to New Orleans - north to Memphis - then back to Dallas.
Now here's the thing, the big cities aren't the issues, i think i have enough information about them - we're really interested in travelling off the beaten path a little bit. We don't mind travelling two-lane highways or even gravel roads. We want to get a true "feel" of that area and in my experience, visiting small towns and out of the way places is one great way to do that. We want to see the hills of Texas, the bayous of Louisiana, the backroads of Mississippi and as much as possible in between. We want to eat rural food and listen to some good old down home music - country, blues, zydeco... We love taking pictures of old farms and buildings and scenery that hasn't been seen on a million postcards.
Can anyone out there give us some advice and tips? I realize that seeing the "showcase" places are important, and we'll be doing that, but i'd love some advice on seeing some of the sights on the roads less travelled.
Thank you for any advice/opinions that you have to offer...
(i'll be posting this under each of the three states mentioned)
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Seafood restaurant in San Francisco - recommendations
- 2 CAJUN region, plus NEW ORLEANS
- 3 Santa Fe & Taos for Christmas week: feedback on itinerary?
- 4 "Unique" New York City Experiences-Yours
- 5 Where to stay in maui Kihei vs Paia vs Wailea vs Lahaina, Kaanapali
- 6 Bringing alcohol into the US
- 7 Hollywood Area where to stay
- 8 7 Day Photography Road trip from Vegas to Denver during Christmas
- 9 New York in December
- 10 Bringin Wine in by car from Mexico
- 11 Three relaxing weeks in Palm Springs
- 12 Road trip from Madison, WI to Portland, OR in April, 2017
- 13 Driving from San Diego CA to Great lakes IL in FEB
- 14 Christmas shopping in Sante Fe
- 15 Ideas for New York
- 16 Grand Canyon / Bryce / Zion in August with Teens
- 17 Staying outside DC
- 18 Dallas, Austin, Waco in February
- 19 Hurricane Matthew damage along Florida East Coast?
- 20 New Years In Asheville with Nature and Beer on the side!
- 21 Suggestions for a Week in Portland
- 22 Going to L.A. dec18-25; Road trip to D.V. and on rt66
- 23 9 days in Olympic NP and Seattle area
- 24 Road trip
- 25 What's your favorite "after theatre" place to eat in NYC??