I'm going to be travelling to the southern states in late April and early May/2013. This trip will be around 3 weeks in length. In a nutshell, we'll be landing in Dallas and renting a car there. We'll then be making a big loop including San Antonio - east to New Orleans - north to Memphis - then back to Dallas.
Now here's the thing, the big cities aren't the issues, i think i have enough information about them - we're really interested in travelling off the beaten path a little bit. We don't mind travelling two-lane highways or even gravel roads. We want to get a true "feel" of that area and in my experience, visiting small towns and out of the way places is one great way to do that. We want to see the hills of Texas, the bayous of Louisiana, the backroads of Mississippi and as much as possible in between. We want to eat rural food and listen to some good old down home music - country, blues, zydeco... We love taking pictures of old farms and buildings and scenery that hasn't been seen on a million postcards.
Can anyone out there give us some advice and tips? I realize that seeing the "showcase" places are important, and we'll be doing that, but i'd love some advice on seeing some of the sights on the roads less travelled.
Thank you for any advice/opinions that you have to offer...
(i'll be posting this under each of the three states mentioned)
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 New Hampshire
- 2 Port Angelas -Vegas
- 3 Things to do in Bakersfield
- 4 Lodging near Zion National Park
- 5 Turning 30 in March. What shall I do?
- 6 8-Hour Napali Fishing Charter with Kids?
- 7 First Trip to Texas -
- 8 Help! Road Trip from Boulder to Oregon 2/2016
- 9 Jul, Aug or Sept for California trip, which is preferable and why?
- 10 Road to Hana - tour company or on your own
- 11 Avoiding tunnels driving from Atlanta to Philadelphia
- 12 How many days to spend in San Francisco, LA & Las vegas?
- 13 Best 2 (or 3) Day Drive Between Phoenix & Palm Springs?
- 14 Family Vacation for Mom's 80th Birthday
- 15 Beaches in Florida
- 16 Charleston+Kiawah+Asheville+?
- 17 Nashville Questions
- 18 Best stay, park & fly hotel near Boston Logan airport?
- 19 Hyatt Regency Boston Harbor - how to get to the city?
- 20 Downtown Chicago
- 21 Pittsburgh to New York City
- 22 Transportation from Lahaina to Kaanapali Westin
- 23 Charleston Hotel Question
- 24 Grand Circle - need to add 3 nights
- 25 New Orleans on Easter Sunday - parade and church?