I'm going to be travelling to the southern states in late April and early May/2013. This trip will be around 3 weeks in length. In a nutshell, we'll be landing in Dallas and renting a car there. We'll then be making a big loop including San Antonio - east to New Orleans - north to Memphis - then back to Dallas.
Now here's the thing, the big cities aren't the issues, i think i have enough information about them - we're really interested in travelling off the beaten path a little bit. We don't mind travelling two-lane highways or even gravel roads. We want to get a true "feel" of that area and in my experience, visiting small towns and out of the way places is one great way to do that. We want to see the hills of Texas, the bayous of Louisiana, the backroads of Mississippi and as much as possible in between. We want to eat rural food and listen to some good old down home music - country, blues, zydeco... We love taking pictures of old farms and buildings and scenery that hasn't been seen on a million postcards.
Can anyone out there give us some advice and tips? I realize that seeing the "showcase" places are important, and we'll be doing that, but i'd love some advice on seeing some of the sights on the roads less travelled.
Thank you for any advice/opinions that you have to offer...
(i'll be posting this under each of the three states mentioned)
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Folly, Surfside, Carolina or Wrightsville Beach?
- 2 Moving to Dallas - Where to live?
- 3 Spring Break @ Big Bend
- 4 Lice Happens
- 5 Favourite San Francisco hotel / New things to see??
- 6 Arches Devils Garden
- 7 universal studios and disney
- 8 Amtrack: Denver to California?
- 9 Steelhead fishing in Kenai Alaska
- 10 RV camping near Yosemite NP
- 11 Big Sure in June
- 12 Travel options between Las Vegas and Grand Canyon South Rim
- 13 Road trip to NP: from Denver to San Francisco or the other way around?
- 14 Savannah hotel
- 15 Utah National Parks visit
- 16 marriot cypress harbour
- 17 Hotel in Reno
- 18 Hwy 1/Big Sur Update
- 19 Visiting Glacier Nat'l Park with 18 mo old.
- 20 Westhester/Bronx/Yonkers area event planning
- 21 Big Island of Hawaii - itinerary ideas for 7-10 day trip
- 22 Oregon: Portland, Redwood NP, Crater Lake
- 23 Retiring to Tucson
- 24 Trinity Site, NM
- 25 Santa Fe Itineray