I'm going to be travelling to the southern states in late April and early May/2013. This trip will be around 3 weeks in length. In a nutshell, we'll be landing in Dallas and renting a car there. We'll then be making a big loop including San Antonio - east to New Orleans - north to Memphis - then back to Dallas.
Now here's the thing, the big cities aren't the issues, i think i have enough information about them - we're really interested in travelling off the beaten path a little bit. We don't mind travelling two-lane highways or even gravel roads. We want to get a true "feel" of that area and in my experience, visiting small towns and out of the way places is one great way to do that. We want to see the hills of Texas, the bayous of Louisiana, the backroads of Mississippi and as much as possible in between. We want to eat rural food and listen to some good old down home music - country, blues, zydeco... We love taking pictures of old farms and buildings and scenery that hasn't been seen on a million postcards.
Can anyone out there give us some advice and tips? I realize that seeing the "showcase" places are important, and we'll be doing that, but i'd love some advice on seeing some of the sights on the roads less travelled.
Thank you for any advice/opinions that you have to offer...
(i'll be posting this under each of the three states mentioned)
Wanting to travel a little of the road less travelled...
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Coronado Ferry
- 2 Italian cookies in Minneapolis area
- 3 WEST YELLOWSTONE TO GLACIER NP?
- 4 Unique but reasonable restaurants in Las Vegas
- 5 Maine in latter half of September
- 6 SC/GA/FL Coastal City Questions & Insect Issues
- 7 Acoma vs. Taos Pueblos
- 8 Kauai our way! A Feb 2015 Trip Report
- 9 Colorado trip
- 10 NY to Asheville then country place to stay
- 11 roast beef dinner in Manhattan
- 12 DC - WW2 flyover
- 13 Colorado trip in early May
- 14 Cape cod and Acadia
- 15 Mukilteo to Whidbey Is. via Deception Pass & a ferry return??
- 16 Sedona - ladies trips- suggestions on where to stay and time of year?
- 17 Florida - Bradenton or Fort Lauderdale
- 18 Washington and oregon help with itinerary
- 19 Scottsdale, Sedona, Grand Canyon
- 20 Cumberland Island and Surrounding Area
- 21 Have you ever heard of a place called Page, Arz?
- 22 Minneapolis hotel - special occasion
- 23 Please help with four days in Boston-Cambridge-Salem
- 24 First visit in New Mexico
- 25 Business trip SFO - LAX and Standard Hotel