I'm going to be travelling to the southern states in late April and early May/2013. This trip will be around 3 weeks in length. In a nutshell, we'll be landing in Dallas and renting a car there. We'll then be making a big loop including San Antonio - east to New Orleans - north to Memphis - then back to Dallas.
Now here's the thing, the big cities aren't the issues, i think i have enough information about them - we're really interested in travelling off the beaten path a little bit. We don't mind travelling two-lane highways or even gravel roads. We want to get a true "feel" of that area and in my experience, visiting small towns and out of the way places is one great way to do that. We want to see the hills of Texas, the bayous of Louisiana, the backroads of Mississippi and as much as possible in between. We want to eat rural food and listen to some good old down home music - country, blues, zydeco... We love taking pictures of old farms and buildings and scenery that hasn't been seen on a million postcards.
Can anyone out there give us some advice and tips? I realize that seeing the "showcase" places are important, and we'll be doing that, but i'd love some advice on seeing some of the sights on the roads less travelled.
Thank you for any advice/opinions that you have to offer...
(i'll be posting this under each of the three states mentioned)
Wanting to travel a little of the road less travelled...
- 1 Hudson Valley to Stockbridge, MA/Berkshires
- 2 Charleston, Savannah and more cheesy grits please
- 3 Seattle to coast to columbia River Gorge
- 4 J-ville airport ground transportation
- 5 Seattle restaurant near Pikes Market
- 6 East coast tour - Part1: NYC
- 7 California, Northern
- 8 Seattle Hotel Choice and Other Questions
- 9 Best place to raise a family in Florida
- 10 Exciting historical sites in upstate NY
- 11 Need help with itinerary to Seattle, Oregon, California
- 12 JFK to Upper West Side by subway
- 13 Buy now or wait . . . airfare to Santa Barbara in late July?
- 14 time for a new countdown to Hawaii
- 15 Bryce Canyon vs. Yellowsyone
- 16 Seatlle, WA
- 17 10 days after cruise - Fort Lauderdale Fly out from LA?????
- 18 What area to stay in for Memphis
- 19 What are the best activities in Key West?
- 20 Memphis Tours
- 21 Newport, RI Questions
- 22 Meredith New Hampshire
- 23 Back to the Lovely City!!
- 24 Northern Idaho - Western Montana Drive
- 25 Advice for 2 night intro trip to Moab in early June (1-3)