I'm going to be travelling to the southern states in late April and early May/2013. This trip will be around 3 weeks in length. In a nutshell, we'll be landing in Dallas and renting a car there. We'll then be making a big loop including San Antonio - east to New Orleans - north to Memphis - then back to Dallas.
Now here's the thing, the big cities aren't the issues, i think i have enough information about them - we're really interested in travelling off the beaten path a little bit. We don't mind travelling two-lane highways or even gravel roads. We want to get a true "feel" of that area and in my experience, visiting small towns and out of the way places is one great way to do that. We want to see the hills of Texas, the bayous of Louisiana, the backroads of Mississippi and as much as possible in between. We want to eat rural food and listen to some good old down home music - country, blues, zydeco... We love taking pictures of old farms and buildings and scenery that hasn't been seen on a million postcards.
Can anyone out there give us some advice and tips? I realize that seeing the "showcase" places are important, and we'll be doing that, but i'd love some advice on seeing some of the sights on the roads less travelled.
Thank you for any advice/opinions that you have to offer...
(i'll be posting this under each of the three states mentioned)
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 http://klereumcol.com/biocore-muscle/
- 2 http://www.piratetoyshop.com/dermajur/
- 3 Need Advice For Trip with 16year old son-
- 4 Trip Idea for Thanksgiving Break
- 5 Travel suggestions from Mystic, CT to Bar Harbor, Maine
- 6 http://seremolynbuy.com/sihu-skin-care/
- 7 Black Hills, Mount Rushmore, Badlands Trip Report
- 8 http://realcoloncleansingworks.com/test-reload-review/
- 9 Regenes Lift Trails
- 10 http://realcoloncleansingworks.com/test-reload-review/
- 11 Although performing the LA Weight Loss!
- 12 TestoGen - Personal supplement reviews and results
- 13 Newark to Paris
- 14 Transit Advisory July 4, 2016 Local Transit will be on a hoilday schedule
- 15 Napa Valley Hotel
- 16 ONE WAY car rental from NYC to BOS
- 17 October Fall Foliage Itinerary
- 18 The city never sleeps, but we needed to
- 19 Southern Michigan vacation destination?
- 20 Road trip lower 48 to juneau
- 21 Avoiding Los Angeles Traffic
- 22 Driving from San Francisco Airport to San Rafael
- 23 60th birthday trip to Vermont, NH, Maine in October
- 24 Southwest charging USD15/ for early bird check in
- 25 Depot Bay OR