I'm going to be travelling to the southern states in late April and early May/2013. This trip will be around 3 weeks in length. In a nutshell, we'll be landing in Dallas and renting a car there. We'll then be making a big loop including San Antonio - east to New Orleans - north to Memphis - then back to Dallas.
Now here's the thing, the big cities aren't the issues, i think i have enough information about them - we're really interested in travelling off the beaten path a little bit. We don't mind travelling two-lane highways or even gravel roads. We want to get a true "feel" of that area and in my experience, visiting small towns and out of the way places is one great way to do that. We want to see the hills of Texas, the bayous of Louisiana, the backroads of Mississippi and as much as possible in between. We want to eat rural food and listen to some good old down home music - country, blues, zydeco... We love taking pictures of old farms and buildings and scenery that hasn't been seen on a million postcards.
Can anyone out there give us some advice and tips? I realize that seeing the "showcase" places are important, and we'll be doing that, but i'd love some advice on seeing some of the sights on the roads less travelled.
Thank you for any advice/opinions that you have to offer...
(i'll be posting this under each of the three states mentioned)
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 NYC with 5 kids- SOLO
- 2 Homeless family murdered in Staten Island Motel
- 3 Skin Care item produces addr collagen
- 4 Nashville and Gatlinburg
- 5 Hyatt Regency Boston Harbor - how to get to the city?
- 6 http://www.healthsteppolicy.com/revita-beau/
- 7 Moving to DC ( Nova area) Please help me
- 8 Jul, Aug or Sept for California trip, which is preferable and why?
- 9 Hawaii Volcanoes
- 10 Visit to the top of the Statue of Liberty
- 11 Boston-Philadelphia: drive, fly, Amtrak?
- 12 5 days in Colorado
- 13 Safety Concerns
- 14 Should I go ahed with our Disney World trip over Easter
- 15 40th in Key West
- 16 Bronx Help to visit hospital
- 17 Downtown Chicago
- 18 Miami/Disney World/Bahamas Cruise w/6yo
- 19 Planning Honeymoon with Handicapped fiance
- 20 Best 2 (or 3) Day Drive Between Phoenix & Palm Springs?
- 21 ISO charming NYC hotel for a staycation
- 22 What to do in San Diego
- 23 Nashville
- 24 Beaches in Florida
- 25 fort lauderdale