I'm going to be travelling to the southern states in late April and early May/2013. This trip will be around 3 weeks in length. In a nutshell, we'll be landing in Dallas and renting a car there. We'll then be making a big loop including San Antonio - east to New Orleans - north to Memphis - then back to Dallas.
Now here's the thing, the big cities aren't the issues, i think i have enough information about them - we're really interested in travelling off the beaten path a little bit. We don't mind travelling two-lane highways or even gravel roads. We want to get a true "feel" of that area and in my experience, visiting small towns and out of the way places is one great way to do that. We want to see the hills of Texas, the bayous of Louisiana, the backroads of Mississippi and as much as possible in between. We want to eat rural food and listen to some good old down home music - country, blues, zydeco... We love taking pictures of old farms and buildings and scenery that hasn't been seen on a million postcards.
Can anyone out there give us some advice and tips? I realize that seeing the "showcase" places are important, and we'll be doing that, but i'd love some advice on seeing some of the sights on the roads less travelled.
Thank you for any advice/opinions that you have to offer...
(i'll be posting this under each of the three states mentioned)
Wanting to travel a little of the road less travelled...
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Fall trip, best location to stay in Vermont. Need help please.
- 2 Orlando hotels
- 3 Seeking advice for Glacier National Park
- 4 Sunday morning in southern Florida
- 5 Hop On Hop Off Bus Atlanta
- 6 Photos from Texas Christmas Road Trip
- 7 Driving to Daytona Beach from New Jersey
- 8 Route 50 between Virginia and Missouri--Scenic?
- 9 Atlantic coast and mountain vacation
- 10 17 day photo trip report - upstate New York
- 11 Travel from Seattle WA to Oceanside CA
- 12 One Way Car Rentals- LAS to SFO- without drop off charges-What to check-
- 13 New Hawaii countdown for 2014-15
- 14 California (San Francisco, Napa,Carmel/Monterey,Santa Barbara,San Diego)
- 15 Ideas for a family on a roadtrip around Denver and Utah
- 16 Clearwater FL area
- 17 Los Angeles day trips
- 18 Rapid City to Yellowstone Route
- 19 Business in San diego and then a weeks vacation?
- 20 trip advice from TN to TX
- 21 san diego or nearby area
- 22 middlebury vt snow
- 23 NY to Asheville then country place to stay
- 24 Charlotte NC Lodging & Driving Question
- 25 First Trip to California with Family of 6