I'm going to be travelling to the southern states in late April and early May/2013. This trip will be around 3 weeks in length. In a nutshell, we'll be landing in Dallas and renting a car there. We'll then be making a big loop including San Antonio - east to New Orleans - north to Memphis - then back to Dallas.
Now here's the thing, the big cities aren't the issues, i think i have enough information about them - we're really interested in travelling off the beaten path a little bit. We don't mind travelling two-lane highways or even gravel roads. We want to get a true "feel" of that area and in my experience, visiting small towns and out of the way places is one great way to do that. We want to see the hills of Texas, the bayous of Louisiana, the backroads of Mississippi and as much as possible in between. We want to eat rural food and listen to some good old down home music - country, blues, zydeco... We love taking pictures of old farms and buildings and scenery that hasn't been seen on a million postcards.
Can anyone out there give us some advice and tips? I realize that seeing the "showcase" places are important, and we'll be doing that, but i'd love some advice on seeing some of the sights on the roads less travelled.
Thank you for any advice/opinions that you have to offer...
(i'll be posting this under each of the three states mentioned)
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Red Rocks Amphitheater places to stay
- 2 Ice cream Cape Cod
- 3 Glacier-Banaff-Jasper NPs Car Rental
- 4 Disneyworld from a west coast perspective
- 5 Reagan Library
- 6 Southern history- walkable cities
- 7 Scenic mountain views near Spokane
- 8 US Open Tennis
- 9 where do the locals eat in Portland, Maine
- 10 Hawaii with limited time
- 11 JFK 10 hour layover-World Trade Center + ?
- 12 Your favourite places in New York City
- 13 Steamboat in August
- 14 Hotels in San Diego
- 15 San Diego Marriott Marquis or Omni?
- 16 Suggestions - summer day in New Haven
- 17 Cape cod Labor Day
- 18 Calming Stay near Seattle/Vacouver??
- 19 Grand Canyon, Bryce and Zion itinerary
- 20 Los Angeles and Beyond
- 21 A Gem of a Restaurant in Long Beach, CA
- 22 Even Disney isn't Disney anymore
- 23 Aussie family heading to the US for the first time
- 24 Trip report -- Vermont: Bennington and Manchester
- 25 Portland to mt St. Helens and my rainer