I'm going to be travelling to the southern states in late April and early May/2013. This trip will be around 3 weeks in length. In a nutshell, we'll be landing in Dallas and renting a car there. We'll then be making a big loop including San Antonio - east to New Orleans - north to Memphis - then back to Dallas.
Now here's the thing, the big cities aren't the issues, i think i have enough information about them - we're really interested in travelling off the beaten path a little bit. We don't mind travelling two-lane highways or even gravel roads. We want to get a true "feel" of that area and in my experience, visiting small towns and out of the way places is one great way to do that. We want to see the hills of Texas, the bayous of Louisiana, the backroads of Mississippi and as much as possible in between. We want to eat rural food and listen to some good old down home music - country, blues, zydeco... We love taking pictures of old farms and buildings and scenery that hasn't been seen on a million postcards.
Can anyone out there give us some advice and tips? I realize that seeing the "showcase" places are important, and we'll be doing that, but i'd love some advice on seeing some of the sights on the roads less travelled.
Thank you for any advice/opinions that you have to offer...
(i'll be posting this under each of the three states mentioned)
Wanting to travel a little of the road less travelled...
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Santa Barbara, California
- 2 Seatle in September 19-22, Where to stay? Avg prices?
- 3 Recommendations for accommodation in San Diego?
- 4 3 days road trip from Boston to Arcadia National park
- 5 Driving Moab to Bryce Canyon
- 6 Hotel near Miami airport
- 7 Mt Ranier parking questions
- 8 3 days, 4 nights in Denver
- 9 moving to florida
- 10 Chicago coffee shop/breakfast
- 11 Maui - Kaanapali shuttle/trolley
- 12 Lighting for photos at Mt Ranier
- 13 Atascadero -> Pacific Grove -> San Francisco
- 14 Hearst Castle - Is the Grand Rooms tour really the best for first timers?
- 15 Road Trip SW
- 16 Fall vacation in Colorado
- 17 Philly
- 18 Fancy car rental - LA to Vegas!
- 19 Chelsea Antiques Garage flea market -- RIP
- 20 Nice Houston area spa for mother-daughter
- 21 Seattle, Portland, and day trips all around
- 22 Zion Narrows - Relatively Easy / Suitable for Older Folks?
- 23 Another Southwest Airlines Early Bird Question
- 24 Pub with food in Seattle
- 25 In just five days: Grand Teton and Yellowstone NPs