I'm going to be travelling to the southern states in late April and early May/2013. This trip will be around 3 weeks in length. In a nutshell, we'll be landing in Dallas and renting a car there. We'll then be making a big loop including San Antonio - east to New Orleans - north to Memphis - then back to Dallas.
Now here's the thing, the big cities aren't the issues, i think i have enough information about them - we're really interested in travelling off the beaten path a little bit. We don't mind travelling two-lane highways or even gravel roads. We want to get a true "feel" of that area and in my experience, visiting small towns and out of the way places is one great way to do that. We want to see the hills of Texas, the bayous of Louisiana, the backroads of Mississippi and as much as possible in between. We want to eat rural food and listen to some good old down home music - country, blues, zydeco... We love taking pictures of old farms and buildings and scenery that hasn't been seen on a million postcards.
Can anyone out there give us some advice and tips? I realize that seeing the "showcase" places are important, and we'll be doing that, but i'd love some advice on seeing some of the sights on the roads less travelled.
Thank you for any advice/opinions that you have to offer...
(i'll be posting this under each of the three states mentioned)
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Frustrated with VRBO owners
- 2 New Hawaii countdown for 2014-15
- 3 UPDATED 10 days in Cali: SD to SF
- 4 Driving from Missoula to Many Glacier Hotel
- 5 How to break up trip between San Francisco and Laguna Niguel
- 6 Brainstorming - city to visit for disabled young man
- 7 Driving from Seattle to San Deigo
- 8 Napa Valley Weekend
- 9 2 weeks to see Grand Canyons, ending in Las Vegas, where to start?
- 10 New York: "It's SOOOOOOOO Touristy"
- 11 Boston--Another Art Mission
- 12 We're missing one night's hotel accommodation in Glacier NP
- 13 NYC- LaGuardia to Rye
- 14 Carlsbad Caverns
- 15 Where to Stay in San Francisco for one night
- 16 Kauai - wow, just WOW!!!
- 17 Boston, Maine, Nantucket/MV, RI,
- 18 Fun activities in Lubbock with 7 year old?
- 19 Returned from Sedona
- 20 50th Anniversary Trip
- 21 Trip to Colorado in one week, RMNP
- 22 Trip from Anchorage to Homer, AK
- 23 Vegetarian options in New Orleans
- 24 Mid 20's Honeymoon
- 25 NYC with wheelchair