I'm going to be travelling to the southern states in late April and early May/2013. This trip will be around 3 weeks in length. In a nutshell, we'll be landing in Dallas and renting a car there. We'll then be making a big loop including San Antonio - east to New Orleans - north to Memphis - then back to Dallas.
Now here's the thing, the big cities aren't the issues, i think i have enough information about them - we're really interested in travelling off the beaten path a little bit. We don't mind travelling two-lane highways or even gravel roads. We want to get a true "feel" of that area and in my experience, visiting small towns and out of the way places is one great way to do that. We want to see the hills of Texas, the bayous of Louisiana, the backroads of Mississippi and as much as possible in between. We want to eat rural food and listen to some good old down home music - country, blues, zydeco... We love taking pictures of old farms and buildings and scenery that hasn't been seen on a million postcards.
Can anyone out there give us some advice and tips? I realize that seeing the "showcase" places are important, and we'll be doing that, but i'd love some advice on seeing some of the sights on the roads less travelled.
Thank you for any advice/opinions that you have to offer...
(i'll be posting this under each of the three states mentioned)
Wanting to travel a little of the road less travelled...
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Cabaret seating at Studio 54 - huh?
- 2 Where to stay with kids in Nashville
- 3 Downtown Denver restaurant recommendation, please~
- 4 Searching For The Rhythm Of Florida
- 5 New York City Taking First Steps Against Air BnB Members
- 6 New York City Restaurants
- 7 Alaska- cruise or land? and most scenic areas?
- 8 NYC apartments through CitySonnet.com
- 9 Alexandria or Georgetown
- 10 East Coast road trip from Boston to Washington DC
- 11 Which NYC subway should I take?
- 12 Spring Has Officially Sprung in Central Park
- 13 Family Camp in Maine
- 14 Hardly Strictly Bluegrass
- 15 San Diego
- 16 Suggestions for road trip with children from Birmingham, AL to Grand Canyon
- 17 2 Days in Portland - Best of?
- 18 Timeshare Nightmares
- 19 3 Days in Denver area- want to hike and bike, stay in Boulder or Denver?
- 20 Santa Fe advice needed (40th anniversary)
- 21 Places to eat like a local in Los Angeles
- 22 Best Glacier viewing (by boat) from Seward or Whittier
- 23 Trip Report: An Intoxicating Birthday Day-Trip in Napa
- 24 Oregon to SF - avoid Coastal Route
- 25 Chicago Architectural River Tours - which one for us?