I'm going to be travelling to the southern states in late April and early May/2013. This trip will be around 3 weeks in length. In a nutshell, we'll be landing in Dallas and renting a car there. We'll then be making a big loop including San Antonio - east to New Orleans - north to Memphis - then back to Dallas.
Now here's the thing, the big cities aren't the issues, i think i have enough information about them - we're really interested in travelling off the beaten path a little bit. We don't mind travelling two-lane highways or even gravel roads. We want to get a true "feel" of that area and in my experience, visiting small towns and out of the way places is one great way to do that. We want to see the hills of Texas, the bayous of Louisiana, the backroads of Mississippi and as much as possible in between. We want to eat rural food and listen to some good old down home music - country, blues, zydeco... We love taking pictures of old farms and buildings and scenery that hasn't been seen on a million postcards.
Can anyone out there give us some advice and tips? I realize that seeing the "showcase" places are important, and we'll be doing that, but i'd love some advice on seeing some of the sights on the roads less travelled.
Thank you for any advice/opinions that you have to offer...
(i'll be posting this under each of the three states mentioned)
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 I-70 to Leadville, CO - 91 or 24
- 2 Need help planning - Car Road trip SF to Grand Canyon
- 3 Berkshires-AARP Central
- 4 Recommendations for birthday Sunday brunch near but outside Boston
- 5 Visiting Mount Washington - interesting stops along I-91?
- 6 Pacific coast road trip
- 7 Family vacation itinerary pointers
- 8 Help with driving East to West
- 9 Washington and Seattle Itinerary
- 10 Texas Hill Country in Autumn
- 11 2nd attempt - Road trip to Utah in Dec 2015
- 12 Hudson Valley Drive Suggestions
- 13 NYC Suggestions - Six Week Trip…?
- 14 Our explorations of the Hudson Valley & Catskills
- 15 Yellowstone/Grand Teton,feeric but turists and Xanterra need improvement
- 16 Source of Legionnaire's Disease in NYC Confirmed
- 17 Where to stay in Missoula?
- 18 Driving Trip to Idaho
- 19 Restaurants in San Francisco and Napa/Sonoma Valley
- 20 Coronado, La Jolla, or Other?
- 21 New York City Transportation Experts - this one is for you!
- 22 Driving San Antonio to Galveston--how to avoid Houston
- 23 Fun family adventures in/around Charleston?
- 24 Where to stay in Kansas City MO/What to do
- 25 DC/MD/VA GTG in the Fall, Lunch on Oct. 3