I'm going to be travelling to the southern states in late April and early May/2013. This trip will be around 3 weeks in length. In a nutshell, we'll be landing in Dallas and renting a car there. We'll then be making a big loop including San Antonio - east to New Orleans - north to Memphis - then back to Dallas.
Now here's the thing, the big cities aren't the issues, i think i have enough information about them - we're really interested in travelling off the beaten path a little bit. We don't mind travelling two-lane highways or even gravel roads. We want to get a true "feel" of that area and in my experience, visiting small towns and out of the way places is one great way to do that. We want to see the hills of Texas, the bayous of Louisiana, the backroads of Mississippi and as much as possible in between. We want to eat rural food and listen to some good old down home music - country, blues, zydeco... We love taking pictures of old farms and buildings and scenery that hasn't been seen on a million postcards.
Can anyone out there give us some advice and tips? I realize that seeing the "showcase" places are important, and we'll be doing that, but i'd love some advice on seeing some of the sights on the roads less travelled.
Thank you for any advice/opinions that you have to offer...
(i'll be posting this under each of the three states mentioned)
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 California Coast in January
- 2 Eastern California Winter Roadtrip
- 3 Reasonable accommodations in Wyoming
- 4 Glacier and Grand Tetons: June or July
- 5 Traveling Alone
- 6 Arizona in winter
- 7 Currency and hotels
- 8 Christmas Dinner in NYC?
- 9 Restaurant Recommendations mid-city Manhattan
- 10 Arizona in late January
- 11 Getty center and Getty Villa
- 12 Northern California Redwoods
- 13 2016/17 Ski Season Opens
- 14 Advertising Sublets in NYC Now Illegal - Air BnB Has Pulled Listings
- 15 Travel in Houston and surrounding area
- 16 Vegas with toddler twins
- 17 Las Vegas Vacation
- 18 OHare car service north suburbs
- 19 Washington DC Trip in December with Small Children
- 20 disneyland
- 21 Paris-Room Selection Advice Needed ASAP for last minute trip. TIA.
- 22 Key West
- 23 LA! Active, FUN couple - area to stay/itenerary
- 24 Savannah and Charleston over New Years.
- 25 moving to Florida