I'm going to be travelling to the southern states in late April and early May/2013. This trip will be around 3 weeks in length. In a nutshell, we'll be landing in Dallas and renting a car there. We'll then be making a big loop including San Antonio - east to New Orleans - north to Memphis - then back to Dallas.
Now here's the thing, the big cities aren't the issues, i think i have enough information about them - we're really interested in travelling off the beaten path a little bit. We don't mind travelling two-lane highways or even gravel roads. We want to get a true "feel" of that area and in my experience, visiting small towns and out of the way places is one great way to do that. We want to see the hills of Texas, the bayous of Louisiana, the backroads of Mississippi and as much as possible in between. We want to eat rural food and listen to some good old down home music - country, blues, zydeco... We love taking pictures of old farms and buildings and scenery that hasn't been seen on a million postcards.
Can anyone out there give us some advice and tips? I realize that seeing the "showcase" places are important, and we'll be doing that, but i'd love some advice on seeing some of the sights on the roads less travelled.
Thank you for any advice/opinions that you have to offer...
(i'll be posting this under each of the three states mentioned)
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Ring On QB 1800-927-2480 Desktop Service Number
- 2 Best options for viewing, learning about lava flows on Big Island?
- 3 Road trip during Winters in Utah-NV
- 4 Road Trip Travel Advice - 2 Days or 3?
- 5 Planning our Move
- 6 Need tips for 14 day alaska trip Please help!
- 7 50th wedding anniversary in Hawaii??
- 8 2 Grannies, 2 parents & 1 three-yr-old
- 9 Hawaii at Christmas with older teens
- 10 Sperry chalet destroyed by fire
- 11 Overnight stay along Newburyport/Rockport train line
- 12 Best Marriott options NYC using Marriott points
- 13 9 day family New England Trip October - Advice
- 14 Hotel advise Chicago
- 15 Maui and Kauai
- 16 Santa Fe and Taos in November
- 17 Getting from Seatac airport to downtown Seattle
- 18 Botanical gardens on Maui, Hilo, and Kauai: how much do they differ?
- 19 Good gift for my father who loves to travel
- 20 affordable SF hotels convenient to art museums
- 21 Trip to Cali
- 22 NYC Hotel Decision
- 23 NFL tickets
- 24 Grand Canyon Rim to Rim
- 25 JFK to Manhattan via AirTrain/LIRR