I'm going to be travelling to the southern states in late April and early May/2013. This trip will be around 3 weeks in length. In a nutshell, we'll be landing in Dallas and renting a car there. We'll then be making a big loop including San Antonio - east to New Orleans - north to Memphis - then back to Dallas.
Now here's the thing, the big cities aren't the issues, i think i have enough information about them - we're really interested in travelling off the beaten path a little bit. We don't mind travelling two-lane highways or even gravel roads. We want to get a true "feel" of that area and in my experience, visiting small towns and out of the way places is one great way to do that. We want to see the hills of Texas, the bayous of Louisiana, the backroads of Mississippi and as much as possible in between. We want to eat rural food and listen to some good old down home music - country, blues, zydeco... We love taking pictures of old farms and buildings and scenery that hasn't been seen on a million postcards.
Can anyone out there give us some advice and tips? I realize that seeing the "showcase" places are important, and we'll be doing that, but i'd love some advice on seeing some of the sights on the roads less travelled.
Thank you for any advice/opinions that you have to offer...
(i'll be posting this under each of the three states mentioned)
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Traveling across USA via Greyhound
- 2 Would Torrey be a good base for Moab/Canyonlands
- 3 Bedford Stuyvesant
- 4 Where to stay in or near San Simeon for one night?
- 5 Lake Champlain, VT
- 6 Relocation help - move to cool climate
- 7 Papakolea Beach/Green Sand Beach - Big Island, Hawaii
- 8 Buying MI lake house- which lake is warmer, medium sized and clear?
- 9 Road Trip Along Lake Michigan
- 10 Boston Ideas
- 11 Road trip from San Francisco to San Diego
- 12 Grand Canyon, Lake Powell, Zion..
- 13 New York with my 16 year old granddaughter
- 14 Hawaii Itinerary for Family with Teens
- 15 Anna Maria Island--is north end "too" quiet?
- 16 Coors Field Security for Zac Brown
- 17 Withdrawing cash to buy a car
- 18 Boulder, CO vs Denver, CO
- 19 Week motorcycle ride
- 20 Crab restaurants near Silver Springs MD
- 21 Crested Butte so expensive
- 22 South Point/Ka Lae - Southern Most Point of the USA
- 23 Itinerary help for Boston and Islands
- 24 Flower Piano
- 25 Need Help w/ Itinerary-Redwood NP, Mendocino, Sea Ranch Lodge