I'm going to be travelling to the southern states in late April and early May/2013. This trip will be around 3 weeks in length. In a nutshell, we'll be landing in Dallas and renting a car there. We'll then be making a big loop including San Antonio - east to New Orleans - north to Memphis - then back to Dallas.
Now here's the thing, the big cities aren't the issues, i think i have enough information about them - we're really interested in travelling off the beaten path a little bit. We don't mind travelling two-lane highways or even gravel roads. We want to get a true "feel" of that area and in my experience, visiting small towns and out of the way places is one great way to do that. We want to see the hills of Texas, the bayous of Louisiana, the backroads of Mississippi and as much as possible in between. We want to eat rural food and listen to some good old down home music - country, blues, zydeco... We love taking pictures of old farms and buildings and scenery that hasn't been seen on a million postcards.
Can anyone out there give us some advice and tips? I realize that seeing the "showcase" places are important, and we'll be doing that, but i'd love some advice on seeing some of the sights on the roads less travelled.
Thank you for any advice/opinions that you have to offer...
(i'll be posting this under each of the three states mentioned)
Wanting to travel a little of the road less travelled...
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 NC or SC Beach Escape
- 2 Best place to stay for Canyon de Chelly
- 3 First time to Hawaii (Maui)
- 4 scenic route from Estes Park to Salt Lake City
- 5 Kid School Admission
- 6 A Napa Valley Reprise: Mom turns the big 5-0!
- 7 New York in May - Dinner at Bouley,
- 8 Recommended Private Shuttle Service From JFK Airport to Long Island City
- 9 Connecticut Highway 1. Should we do it?
- 10 Purchase of Florida Condo
- 11 Things to do in La Jolla
- 12 Traveling from Vegas to Grand Canyon and Southern Utah
- 13 2 Short Trips to NYC: Broadway, Opera, Tenements, Hotels, Cholesterol
- 14 Lake Tahoe - May Vacation Advice
- 15 Minneapolis Parking
- 16 Kauai - wow, just WOW!!!
- 17 Hiking in Georgia - beautiful photos
- 18 Romantic destination in the US
- 19 Pacific Coast Highway from Los Angeles to San Francisco
- 20 which St. Louis neighborhood to base in, given these destinations?
- 21 family road trip
- 22 Alaska Trip Planning
- 23 final plans utah/arizona trip
- 24 Broadway Banter revived, Spring 2015!
- 25 New York City-New Things?