I'm going to be travelling to the southern states in late April and early May/2013. This trip will be around 3 weeks in length. In a nutshell, we'll be landing in Dallas and renting a car there. We'll then be making a big loop including San Antonio - east to New Orleans - north to Memphis - then back to Dallas.
Now here's the thing, the big cities aren't the issues, i think i have enough information about them - we're really interested in travelling off the beaten path a little bit. We don't mind travelling two-lane highways or even gravel roads. We want to get a true "feel" of that area and in my experience, visiting small towns and out of the way places is one great way to do that. We want to see the hills of Texas, the bayous of Louisiana, the backroads of Mississippi and as much as possible in between. We want to eat rural food and listen to some good old down home music - country, blues, zydeco... We love taking pictures of old farms and buildings and scenery that hasn't been seen on a million postcards.
Can anyone out there give us some advice and tips? I realize that seeing the "showcase" places are important, and we'll be doing that, but i'd love some advice on seeing some of the sights on the roads less travelled.
Thank you for any advice/opinions that you have to offer...
(i'll be posting this under each of the three states mentioned)
Wanting to travel a little of the road less travelled...
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 YNP, GT and Driggs 10 day trip 8/13-8/22 - great time was had by all!
- 2 Where to stay for Acadia National Park
- 3 Another California/Utah/Arizona Road Trip...Itinerary Comments?
- 4 NYC Neighbourhoods
- 5 Road Trip from San Francisco - Hwy 1 to Carmel area or Yosemite??
- 6 10 days in Big Island and Kauai
- 7 let's do a new Hawaii countdown
- 8 Bears and Traps. Our Grand Alaska Sea & Land Tour
- 9 Netrate Concepts-Hotel Pricing?
- 10 New York City Borough Walking: Where for Diverse Flavorful Neighborhoods?
- 11 Please advise: Mobile Natchez Nola or Mobile Nola Natchez Nola?
- 12 Best way to drive from Newport RI to Salem MA?
- 13 4th thread on East Coast trip.
- 14 Sunitoomas - stop shilling for that company
- 15 Tour companies
- 16 New York - October with 7 yr old
- 17 New York City Taking First Steps Against Air BnB Members
- 18 Honeymoon roadtrip SF-Seattle
- 19 Car needed in New Orleans?
- 20 Argentinians in NYC!!
- 21 Nashville - Where to stay that's in the middle of it all?
- 22 Quick Trip to NYC
- 23 Marco Island, Florida-- Itinerary and Restaurant Suggestions?
- 24 Need advise : Driving to Sequoia then to Las Vegas
- 25 Something to do besides drink wine in Sonoma.