My husband and our 2 children (8 and 11) are planning a trip "out west" for our summer vacation. We will be going the 3rd week of AUGUST, 2012. Currently, though we have not made any reservations, our trip looks like this: fly into Las Vegas,go to the Hoover Dam and drive to Kingman, AZ and stay the night. Next morning drive to South Rim of Grand Canyon (2 nights there), then drive to Lake Powell, Page, Az (2 nights there) then drive to Zion N.P. (2 nights there) then drive back to Vegas for the night and fly home the next morning. Here is my question: We love to hike and swim and want to try and fit as much in as possible. Here is a catch: we really like UPSCALE accommodations. I know - beggars can't be choosy but, we have not found much better than a "motel" at most of those locations. Is there a different itinerary (Yellowstone or Black Hills or something?) that would afford us the GREAT hiking and incredible views BUT STILL ALLOW FOR US TO GO BACK AT NIGHT TO A GREAT RESORT/RENTAL/LOG CABIN/QUAINT TOWN?
Upscale Accommodations? "Out West" US Parks itinerary
View all United States activity »
- 1 PURCHASE AUTHENTIC PASSPORT,ID CARDS,DRIVING LICENSE
- 2 US West Coast - Car or Camper
- 3 Orlando to Salt Lake City route, end of January
- 4 Which Florida Key to snorkel?
- 5 Inexpensive Weekend Getaway- New England
- 6 Got Plans for New Year's Eve? Want to Count Down With a Giant Walleye?
- 7 Judo in California?
- 8 Hotels on Hilo side of the Big Island?
- 9 Las Vegas to Zion National Park - Fear of Heights
- 10 Christmas-time in New York City? Special holiday experiences?
- 11 Trip Report: New Orleans, Nov. 20 - 25, 2013
- 12 let's do a new Hawaii countdown
- 13 PRIDE OF AMERICA
- 14 Hey drivers, taking my grandmother to San Fran - lil help?!?
- 15 Madison Square Garden
- 16 Moonstruck Patisserie - Hilo ~ wow!!
- 17 Big Island Hawaii - stay in Kona AND Hilo? Also when are school holidays?
- 18 hawaii for 10 weeks
- 19 First timers in Kauai--would love advice/suggestions
- 20 Bowers Museum - Need Restaurant Suggestions Nearby
- 21 Eataly in Chicago -- Coming Soon!
- 22 Im new and need HELP to plan my Rv travel !!
- 23 Has anyone used AirBnB to find lodging?
- 24 Road Trip to Montana, Wyoming, Idaho & Oregon
- 25 First time to Austin-San Antonio area