My wife and I are planning to visit Hawaii for the very first next next July for our 20th wedding anniversary. Right now, flight tickets out of Quebec City, Canada to Honolulu are around $550 total one-way (each person). Tickets to get back looks to be in the same range ($550/person) from either Maui or Big Island, so it means around $1100/person round-trip. And it looks like doing a multi-city search is almost the same as well. Hawaiian Airlines seems to be the best for inter-island flights.
Do the fares usually drop in January for a July trip, or it won't change too much than from now? Is it better to buy now? There are lots of things to plan and I don't want to miss chances for lodging by getting my tickets too late.
I often fly from Burlington, VT and get much cheaper rates, but for Hawaii, it seems it's not the case, it's even more expensive than from Quebec City. I've tried several separate combinations to try to get the best rates (Quebec/LA, LA-Hawaii, Quebec/Seattle, Seattle/Hawaii, Quebec/Las Vegas, LV/Hawaii) but it gives me higher rates than just flying directly from home to Hawaii and let the carrier organize the stops.
I've already bought several travel guides (3 of the "Hawaii Revealed" ones (Oahu, Maui, The Big Island), that look to be some of the best guides available) and alkso "No Worries Hawaii" to help me plan my trip.
I'm planning to do 6 nights in Oahu, 6 night in Maui and 5 nights in Big Island. Is it too much?
I'm on a budget, so I'm looking for cheap (but clean) lodging options, hotels, or rental condos. I also plan to rent a car for each island.
Thanks for any input regarding flight tickets or other suggestions for the trip. We can't wait to go to Hawaii, I've always dreamed to get there since I was watching Hawaii 5-0 in my youth!
Upcoming 1st Hawaii trip in July (infos needed for planning)
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 New England Newbie - Help with 13 night itinerary - October
- 2 getting around DC
- 3 Overnight stops from NJ to Florida?
- 4 Driving From NE Tennessee to NYC -- Where to Stop?
- 5 Winter/Spring Trip Ideas from Ohio
- 6 Family trip to New Orleans . . . Suggestions???
- 7 Sights and Restaurants in Brooklyn
- 8 Can you see Oak Alley Plantation from the road?
- 9 Looking For Warm Vacation Spot for December in US With 16 Months Old
- 10 Pearl Harbour Visit Hawaii
- 11 East Coast Road Trip In Late January
- 12 California
- 13 Oahu
- 14 Glacier NP & Yellowstone NP 8 day trip Itinerary
- 15 Activities in Maui and Kauai.....Please Help!
- 16 Portland, OR to Crater Lake to Portland- most scenic route
- 17 San Antonio GTG 21 September 2014
- 18 Vermont trip report - photos and captions
- 19 Oregon Scenic Road Trip from Crater Lake to Portland, Oregon
- 20 Going to Grand Canyon North Rim 2 days, then Bryce (or Zion)
- 21 LA to SF via Yosemite- help with itinerary
- 22 What time is it?
- 23 Las vegas and Grand canyon trip with parents ( 4 days)
- 24 San Diego with Kids
- 25 Bostonians weigh in on AirBnB