We are flying to Denver June 24th for a two week vacation to the national parks. We would like to visit RockyMountain NP, Windcave NP/Custer State Park, Badland NP, Yellowstone NP and GrandTeton NP. This may sound like a lot, but it's inspired by our success last summer when we did a similar trip (10days in the Canyon country with 4nights camping out). We loved the camping part (2nights each at GrandCanyon and Bryce) when we felt so close to nature.
My questions are:
1. Lodging/camping: I've only booked three nights (July 3-5) inside Yellowstone at Grant Village. We planned to camp a few nights here and there again, but now I'm worried about the cool nights and wild storms... My children are 5 and 3.5 now. Is it going to be too much? We don't care for fancy hotels, only a plcae to sleep. So if not camping, where would you suggest us staying en route?
2. Itinerary: Right now I'm thinking of going Denver-Grand Lake (RMNP)-Hot Springs (WCNP)-Custer-BadLand NP-Cody/RedLodge-YSNP-GTNP-Denver. Do you think it's doable? How long should we stay at each place? Any other route you'd suggest? We're not going to do serious hikes, obviously, mostly driving, short hikes, and observing nature and animals...
Thanks a lot!
two weeks CO WY MT late June/early July with two toddlers
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 FLORIDA CONDO--seeking general advice
- 2 travel up the coast from San Franciso to Seattle
- 3 Your favorite Glacier NP lodging and itinerary help
- 4 Oahu ideas
- 5 Grand Circle & Wyoming
- 6 Rodeo Near Tulsa or Woodward?
- 7 San Diego grocery stores
- 8 Gatlinburg Tennessee Itinerary suggestions
- 9 Big Island Trip Report: Hooked on Hilo; Kohala Coast is Costly!
- 10 Yes it's March, but let's talk Christmas destinations!
- 11 West Coast Bound End of March
- 12 Planning help for honeymoon - likely Maui and the big island of Hawaii
- 13 Southern California Dining Guide - 2014/2015
- 14 Need an interesting place for one night near Memphis
- 15 Vacation rentals in Tucson
- 16 Nude Beaches- Positive or Negative Experience?
- 17 Buy GoPro Hero3
- 18 Down to three New York City hotels for December visit
- 19 Huntington Beach - hostels?
- 20 Roadtrip Across the Country
- 21 Best places to move to Florida?
- 22 Juneau May 8th
- 23 Memphis or Chattanooga for family
- 24 Help for an upcoming NYC trip.
- 25 Places to eat like a local in Los Angeles