Hello fellow Fodorites!
I'm planning a two week road trip from Florida to Oklahoma (I have to be there for a conference in mid-July) and back, with my girlfriend. While I know this email is very vague and I usually do a lot more research before posting, I thought I might just let you know some initial ideas I had about stops and possible sightseeing...and you can help me fill in the days with other ideas that I might not have considered, particularly if you know the states of Alabama, Arkansas, and Oklahoma well.
The route I was looking at is the one that takes me through Tallahassee, Montgomery, then taking a few day detour to hang out with a friend at the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa (and go kayaking and hiking?), through Memphis, through Little Rock, and then Westward to OKC.
I am mostly interested in scenic views, hikes, waterfalls, camping (we will have our camping gear but will also stay in hotels as often as necessary), wildlife, bike trails (if we can rent bikes), kayaking, etc. I'm good with staying in lodges too, in the middle of wildnerness... I would also love to do random things like fruit picking, or something like that. Yes, I know it will be the middle of July, but maybe ??? I don't know.
I really don't need to even go through those major cities (except for a definite few days in Tuscaloosa). I'm pretty flexible about routes and stops and can even go past Oklahoma or head North a bit if there is something amazing I should check out.
I was thinking about also exploring this state park in AR:
...and it was recommended to me that while I am in OKC, I can't miss the National Cowboy Museum! I know nothing about cowboys, but maybe it will blow my mind. I am not sure.
Thank you so much for your time and input. I am grateful.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Peter J. Burns III
- 2 Suggestions for Sedona and Grand Canyon
- 3 Great Lakes extended road trip
- 4 Looking for areas to live? Commuting to Palo Alto
- 5 Philadelphia Traffic Help
- 6 sf Chinatown restaurant
- 7 New England Tour
- 8 50th Anniversary ocean stay with luxuries?
- 9 Botanical gardens on Maui, Hilo, and Kauai: how much do they differ?
- 10 City of Seattle: What we might miss and the kick ourselves later
- 11 Downtown Denver hotel
- 12 Hotel location Albuquerque
- 13 When will Key West be recovered from Irma?
- 14 San Diego with teens in Februsry
- 15 Olympic National Park (3-4 Days)
- 16 Los Angeles Area Restaurants - 2017 Edition
- 17 San Diego VRBO area
- 18 Queen Anne or Belltown Hotel
- 19 Glacier National Park 2018
- 20 Muir Woods in October
- 21 2 Grannies, 2 parents & 1 three-yr-old
- 22 Alaska 19 day itinerary - comments/opinions, please?
- 23 Chicago - Memphis - NO - Anaheim (train/plane and taxi)
- 24 Southbound lanes at San Ysidro Border Crossing close for 57 hrs.
- 25 Disneyland Grand Californian
Two-week road trip from FL to AL, AR, OK (possibly MS and TN?)
Hello fellow Fodorites!