I'm trying to plan next summers vacation and I'm looking at North GA Mountains. I was initially looking to take a trip to the Western NC mountains and stay in Highlands, NC, where I could take day trips down to GA as well as sights in NC. So, in NC I've been to Asheville and saw the Biltmore, toured much of Great Smoky Mountain National Park, and been/stayed in the Boone/Blowing Rock area and toured that area of the Blue Ridge Parkway. Saw Grandfather Mountain and Mount Mitchell. On the first trip, when I went to the Smokies and saw the Biltmore, I stayed in Gatlinburg on the TN side of the mountains. Although, I drove over to Cherokee and also went to Asheville, I've seen mostly the TN side of the Smokies. I have not also toured the Blue Ridge Parkway south of Asheville. Have not seen Chimney Rock around Asheville either. So, I'm debating for this next trip whether to stay around Asheville, stay in Highlands, or stay somewhere in North Georgia? I'm leaning towards North Georgia because I've never been to the mountains there. Asheville would be nice and I could revisit the Smokies on the NC side, goto Chimney Rock, and drive the Blue Ridge Parkway south. Highlands I really like the sound of, being high elevation and surrounded by scenery, but it sounds kind of fancy and expensive as far as restaurants. But, would provide a good base for exploring, even going down into Georgia. But, still since I've been to NC twice, I would kind of like to stay in GA. But, I don't know where to start. There's a lot of places to choose from. There's no one main base town for the area. But, I guess it could be Helen or Dahlonega. Helen seems very neat. An ideal town for us would be small to medium size, with a good selection of shops and restaurants, and that you could walk around. Highlands seems ideal, but it seems most everything is super upscale. We still like good restaurants but not 30+ dollar meals. We have a week. I know I could split it up between 2 destinations or something. But, I would like to rent a cabin, which usually rent by the week. So, I just want to rent a cabin for a week in one place and just take day trips to places that are under 80-100 miles away. But, in North GA is there as much to do and see as Western Carolina? And is the scenery as spectacular? We re mostly into car touring/scenic drives, short hikes, attractions, and historic sites.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 SF special dinner for 70 birthday
- 2 Westhester/Bronx/Yonkers area event planning
- 3 Retiring to Tucson
- 4 10 days vacation in California
- 5 Washington DC in mid May. Questions!
- 6 Amtrak prices go up and down?
- 7 Summer Vacation Ideas
- 8 Naples Hotel and Everglades
- 9 Alabama vacation "shark teeth fossils"
- 10 Road trip to NP: from Denver to San Francisco or the other way around?
- 11 Grand Canyon solo - advisable?
- 12 Southwest Road Trip in Oct
- 13 Utah National Parks visit
- 14 Renting an RV to Tour NM
- 15 Saturday traffic heading to the Outer Banks
- 16 Pet Friendly accommodations midway
- 17 Help Please - NYC Questions and Plans
- 18 Big Island of Hawaii - itinerary ideas for 7-10 day trip
- 19 Favorite lodging near Acadia NP? Maine in October?
- 20 Driving from Miami to Florida Keys - electronic tolls?
- 21 Hotel in Reno
- 22 winter resort offering snowshoeing dog sledding & boat trip
- 23 Alaska Trip Planning Please Help
- 24 Looking for informaation on Joshua Tree
- 25 A nice restuarnt in Charlottesville, VA for bridesmaids luncheon?