I recently travelled with Norwegian Cruise Line onboard the Norwegian Sun. Juneau was one of the port of call. We had about 10 hours on land. This is what we did:
1. Whale Cruise with the most popular and raved about Harv and Marv's Outback Alaska.
Comment: 5 of us shared a private boat. Viewing of whales are 100% guaranteed. Since it's a private boat, it's easy to take pictures and you pretty much have the freedom to voice out what you want to see and how much time you want to stay put in a particular area. Amount paid is similar/slightly more expensive to those charged by cruise ship. However, do note that cruise ship will book you on a boat that is occupied by more than 20 people and less time is spent on the sea.
What i like: Exclusivity. Also, HM provides snacks(granola bars, water, chocolates, biscuits) onboard. So feel free to snack freely.
Tips: Book Early! We booked 7 months in advance to secure 2012 pricing(tat bit cheaper) and slot. HM only have a few captains and boats so make sure you make your reservation in advance to avoid disappointment.
Amount Spent per pax: About USD160 including tips
2. Mendenhall Glacier - Hike to the most popular Nugget Falls.
Comment: Highly recommended for those tight on budget as there is no entrance fee to this park. There's an entrance fee to the visitor centre though however we did not feel the need to go in. The park itself was enjoyable.
What i like: Easy hike. Hiking routes are paved with lots of greenaries and views of blocks of glacier along the way. Upclose with the Nugget Falls is AMAZING! You are so close to the waterfall that could literally feel the water mist.
Tip: We are a group of 5 so we decided that taxi was a cheaper option to get back to downtown juneau than the bus. You could ask the ranger to help you make a call to one of the taxi companies if you dont have a local phone no. Price of taxi is about 30USD (exclude tipping).
3. Takeout lunch from Red Dog Saloon.
Comment: Great service. Nice ambience. Very different from a lot of restaurants that i have visited. Definitely go in to take a look. However, only adults are granted entry. Food wise not fantastic not bad. It's average.
Tip: Avoid lunch hours and dinner as this place can get pretty crowded.
4. Pre-Dinner - King Crabs and Dungeness Crab at Tracy King's Crab Shack.
Comment: Speechless. It's so so so fresh and easy to eat. Even without any sauce, the crab legs are fantastic! It's a MUST TRY for me. The price is also quite reasonable compared to the crabs in Anchorage.
Tips: Order the Crab Shack combo for first timer. It includes the crab bisque, crab legs and crab cakes. If Dungeness crab is available, MUST order that. It's fresh and it's value for money. Cheap and good!
5. Desserts at Alaskan Crepe Escape
Comment: Provides both savoury and sweet crepes. It's reasonably priced.
Tip: Wi-fi is available at this shop. Ask for password.
6. Shopping in downtown Juneau including Alaska Shirt Company.
Comment: Cheap place to get souvenirs along with Tongrass Trading Company in Ketchikan. Be sure to grab one of those coupon books from the visitor office to get discounts on items and free gifts. I used the coupon to purchase Alaska Caps for USD$1 and t-shirts at around USD$2 as well. They are very particular about the coupon and some coupon only entitle you to one purchase. If you need to purchase more than 1, simply grab more coupon books. Please RECYCLE the coupon books after that. Thanks.
FOR MORE INFORMATION AND TONS OF PICTURES, PLEASE VISIT MY BLOG AT
I have also previously posted on Ketchikan at this link.
Feel free to check it out and i hope it helps. Skagway is next on the blog so stay tuned!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 NYC opinions please! 2nt (shows & meals w/1st timer)
- 2 Senior citizens traveling as groupl
- 3 Sunniest place to stay in Kauai
- 4 NYC For The Day
- 5 9-10 day trip to WA
- 6 What do you think of my Yellowstone itinerary - August 2017?
- 7 Need advice-Early June Oregon Coast, Columbia River Gorge, Crater Lake
- 8 Seattle and Vancouver/Victoria
- 9 Walking Safety Near Boston Common
- 10 West to East Coast in 10 days
- 11 Southwest/California NP roadtrip advice needed.
- 12 Atlanta With Toddler
- 13 Car rental from Baltimore airport
- 14 Tour of the Grand Circle USA .HELP!
- 15 Turo?
- 16 USA family tour
- 17 Maui Bed and Breakfast
- 18 2 hours international transit in DFW airport
- 19 Breckenridge, Estes Park, and Fort Collins in May
- 20 Kauai planning help
- 21 San Diego/La Jolla?
- 22 Hawaii - June vs Aug, hotel vs rental
- 23 Revisiting Kauai: Heartbreak and Happiness
- 24 California Trip
- 25 Northeast/Mid-Atlantics States History/Beach Vacation
Trip Report 'Fruitful Juneau' - Cruise Passengers