TRiP REPORT.... FRENCH QUARTER NEW ORLEANS WITHOUT THE LINES
or TOURIST TRAPS
When me and my husband go on vacation we don't enjoy
waiting on lines or doing what the tour books tell us to do...
We try to fit in with the locals and get a real lay of the land.
So most of this trip report will concentrate on that.
Lets start with
i had heard that Acme was the best place for
charbroiled oysters. However I also heard you had to
wait on lines to get in. So we immediately started looking
for other places. We found the Royal House Oyster Bar
441 Royal Street New Orleans, LA 70130
All i can say is It was AWESOME.... We went there twice so you know
its good. I would sit at the Bar and have a conversation
with Nyrobie... Great guy.
I had the charbroiled oysters and the next time
I had the oysters Royal.... Both Fantastic.
My husband ordered the sauteed crab claws and stuffed
mushrooms. Heaven !!
The atmosphere is wonderful and if you're lucky, you'll hear
music from the street performers on Royal.
Another restaurant we loved was IRENES...
539 Saint Philip St, The French Quarter, New Orleans, LA 70116-3322.
You will have to wait but don't worry.... the wait isnt too bad and
in our case they started us on our drinks while we sat there.
I ordered the oysters with pancetta and then creole Cheese cake for
dessert. Cheese cake was probably on my list now for best things
i ever ate.
For breakfast every morning we went to
Croissant Dor... 617 Ursulines Ave, New Orleans, LA 70116-3203
It was right near our hotel so it was perfect.
We just loved this little french place.
Cafe Du Monde is fine, but this place is quiet, lovely
and delicious. Get a window seat and watch the world go by.
Now lets move on to MUSIC
years ago I went to Preservation hall.... and although I enjoyed it,
I did not enjoy the lines, 15 dollar cover charge and the fact
that is was just a 45 min show...
So me and my husband sought out alternatives...
We found some awesome places...
THE SPOTTED CAT on frenchman street was so wonderful.
Don't even think of missing this great club.
Its intimate, the music is usually amazing and there is no
cover charge.... just a drink Min. and a hat that goes around for tips.
It was a wonderful night. Frenchman street is a safe area just
to the right of the quarter..... take decauter street to the end
and you'll find it..... There's tons of jazz clubs on Frenchman Street
but once again, Spotted cat was our favorite.
The Palm court cafe....204 Decatur Street New Orleans, LA 70116
This club was elegant without having to pay a huge cover charge.
The night we went we saw Lionel Ferbos.... Lionel is 101 years old !
It was a perfect evening. Wait staff was also very friendly.
The streets of the French Quarter on Royal and on Jackson Square....
Just walk up and down Royal and you'll hear awesome street performers....
Also on Jackson Square. Get your dollar bills ready cause you'll want to
We did not hang out on Bourbon street nor did we hear any music there...
it was just too crowded.
ART GALLERIES and SHOPPING.
Royal street is packed with fantastic Galleries. Just stroll around and
you'll love it.
On Decatur Street we found some great 2nd hand shops.... I wish I could remember
the name of my favorite, but all i know is its at the end of Decatur near
frenchman street.... Garage something. (sorry)
Front might be pink with a car logo.
Don't miss Goorin Bros. HAT shop....709 Royal Street
I'm kicking myself now.... I should have bought this
cute hat and I didn't.
Traveling outside the French Quarter...
Everyone said to us that we should take a trolly car ride on the
Saint Charles line into the Garden district.... But what they failed
to mention was the Trolly isn't running. So we had to board a City
Bus that was crowded and hot. I would NOT do this again.
My advice to you is to research what Restaurant you'd like to go
to outside the Quarter and just cab it. If you want to see
The Garden District and all the lovely houses there, have a cab
drop you off at 1st street and St Charles.... then make your way
to magazine street.
I'm not going to share this with you because I'm torn up about it.
I really loved everyone who worked behind the front desk and I also love
aspects about the charm of this hotel and its location.
However its so totally run down that I can't in good conscience recommend it.
So..... I'm afraid you'll need another trip report for lodging...
I CAN SAY THIS.... I would get a hotel on Royal.... but head up Royal away
from Canal..... More toward St. Phillip or Ursulines Ave.
Thats a really lovely area. You'll still see some homeless and some
Wino's, but hey..... those are the characters of the french Quarter...
Just be careful where ever you go and you should be fine.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Advice: Te^ch SUPP0RT YAHOO CONTACT 1:8oo:570:1233 yahoo MAIL
- 2 Advice: Te^ch SUPP0RT YAHOO CONTACT 1:8oo:570:1233 yahoo MAIL
- 3 Advice: Te^ch SUPP0RT YAHOO CONTACT 1:8oo:570:1233 yahoo MAIL
- 4 Advice: Te^ch SUPP0RT YAHOO CONTACT 1:8oo:570:1233 yahoo MAIL
- 5 Rules of the NY Subway
- 6 Road Trip Bucks County PA to In the Dells Wisconsin
- 7 California Coast Highway 1 from SF to LA Closed?
- 8 Middle aged and overweight - can I hike
- 9 Dividing time in Glacier
- 10 Photos from Glacier National Park October 2016
- 11 US/CANADA: Tec*h SUPP0RT YAHOO CONTACT 1:855:999:8045 YAHOO MAIL
- 12 Modify US/CANADA: Tec*h SUPP0RT YAHOO CONTACT 1:855:999:8045 YAHOO MAIL
- 13 11 Day Road Trip/Backpacking Trip to Utah's NPs, Looking for Suggestions.
- 14 Help! 2nd half of trip...From GTNP, 11 days before flying out of Denver.
- 15 Confused about Yellowstone trip
- 16 Amtrak California Zephyr and Yosemite waterfalls
- 17 Bahubal +18 55 999 8045 %# @ Yahoo Mail Technical SuPPoRt nUmBeR
- 18 Half GB +18 55 999,8045 @ Yahoo Pasword Recovery Customer Help
- 19 My travels to Monument Valley
- 20 More lodging in Oregon for eclipse
- 21 Miami for 2 days
- 22 Universal Studios vacation
- 23 We want too see Statue of liberty. Flying into EWR and out of Jfk
- 24 Boston architecture, decorative arts, & food
- 25 San Antonio Grand Hyatt versus Marriott Riverwalk
TRIP REPORT FRENCH QUARTER NEW ORLEANS.... without the lines...
TRiP REPORT.... FRENCH QUARTER NEW ORLEANS WITHOUT THE LINES