I recently just went Alaska with a tight budget and would like to share with you how i only spend less than $45USD(inclusive of meals) in Ketchikan and still have a fun time.
We took the blue bus from the annabelle/opp of annabelle(either is fine) to TOTEM BIGHT STATE PARK (TBSP). Make sure you know the bus interval. If i'm not wrong, it's every 30mins/1hour. The day pass is available for purchase onboard the bus for just $2. My advice is to purchase the day pass since one way already costs you $1. TBSP has NO entrance fee. Maps and description of each totem can be attained at the ranger office near the bus stop.
You can also visit POTLATCH TOTEM PARK which is just beside TBSP(less than 5mins walk).
We had lunch at ANNABELLE's FAMOUS KEG AND CHOWDER HOUSE. It was pretty good. Feel free to visit my blog for more pictures and recommendations. (about $25USD/pax)
Explored downtown Ketchikan. Took photos with the board that says Ketchikan- 'Salmon Capital of the World' and Alaska's First City. Shop at Tongass Trading Company where many of you raved about their $19.90 fleece jacket.
Tip: Before shopping, please proceed to the Ketchikan Visitor Centre to obtain a visitor guide/coupon book. It will help you save more and maybe get a free gift or two.
Strolled along CREEK STREET. Nice place to take lots of photos. Dolly's house looks small and touristy. Due to that, we did not go in.
If you have the visitor guide, you could also do a walking tour around Ketchikan where you may get to see salmons if you are visiting at the right season.
We ended the trip with a visit to ALASKAN FISH HOUSE. This is a MUST TRY!!! Awesome burgers and sandwiches for reasonable price. I love love it. ($10-15/pax)
For more pictures, please feel free to visit:
Hope this helps.
Trip Report 'Budget Ketchikan' - Cruise Passengers
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Hawaii
- 2 Chicago Girls Weekend
- 3 S. Utah 10 day Circle-Itinery-Ist pass
- 4 Great Girls' Weekend in NYC!
- 5 Newport, RI - What's it like?
- 6 Kauai - Napali Coast - Air vs Water
- 7 LV-Zion-Bryce-GC trip: itenerary help
- 8 Dinner-Portland, OR-Favorites?
- 9 Trip Report - 4 Days in Olympic National Park
- 10 Convenient Accommodation suggestions
- 11 Connecticut trip 3rd week of September
- 12 rental car - Highway 1 Roadtrip
- 13 Recommendations for Moderately Priced Dining in Moab?
- 14 River Cafe
- 15 Exploring New Jersey and New York city
- 16 Turning right with red traffic light ?
- 17 San Francisco Transportation tips from Lombard Street!?
- 18 Joe Tro's San Francisco trip report
- 19 What are favorite small and large NYC restaurants?
- 20 We are going to Hawaii in October, have some questions:
- 21 Aloha from Paradise (aka Kauai)
- 22 3 days in Lake Travis area near Austin Texas
- 23 Predictions for peak leaf color in September?
- 24 Best place to spend NYE in LA with a young family
- 25 Hawaii Trip - Maui, Kauai and Honolulu in 9 days