CAPH - Here is the promised trip report.
Our starting point is Midland, MI on July 7.
Day 1 – We get up early and head to Munising, MI. DH and I are going across to bike on Grand Island. The trails on the island are either packed sand roads or old two tracks. We wind up doing the big circle [21 miles]. This involved lots of ups and downs on rocky, rooty trails. Many times I walked the up-hill sections. Of course, it was one of the hottest days of the summer approaching 90 degrees. Luckily most of the trail was in the shade. We stayed at the new Holiday Inn Express in Munising. The view from the pool area was awesome. You could see the entire cliff section of the Pictured Rocks NL.
Day 2 – This day was spent driving to Two Harbors, MN. We chose the southern end of the Highway 61 section to make heading to Minneapolis easier. Since this was a Sunday, I was very glad to be headed north on 61. The traffic south was very heavy. We had dinner this night at Betty’s Pies. This was recommended by a number of Fodorites. My chicken salad was very good; DH did not like the pasty he had. He said it had no seasoning in the filling. Dessert on the other hand was fantastic. We had a list of at least 20 pies to pick from. I had a peach raspberry combination, while DH picked a layered chocolate one.
Day 3 – Today we headed along 61 to Grand Marais. Our objective was to get to Grand Marais, eat lunch at the Angry Trout and work our way back to Two Harbors, stopping at various state parks. A tip for eating at the Angry Trout – always choose the local fresh fish. I had the grilled Lake Trout sandwich with an amazing dill tartar sauce and cole slaw. DH went with the Fish and Chips. He had a choice of fish, he went with one Lake Herring and one cod. The herring was delicious, the cod too hard and crunchy. We had no trouble getting seated immediately at lunchtime.
At the end of the meal, we get a call from DD. We are supposed to pick her up tomorrow at Gooseberry Falls SP. They had a change in plans and wouldn’t be at Gooseberry until Wednesday. Just so happens she called from the other side of the harbor from where the Angry Trout is located. We wind up picking her up today.
On the way back to Two Harbors we stop at Split Rock Lighthouse and do some biking on the Gitchi Gami trail. Plan on doing the Lighthouse first, then see the rest of the park. That way you pay a fee for the lighthouse and get a free pass for the rest of the park.
Next we stopped at Gooseberry Falls. There is no fee if you park at the Visitor Center. There are nice paths to all three sets of falls. Many people were playing in the water under the first two sets of falls.
Dinner tonight was at the Superior Shores Resort. From the restaurant you look out on a small bay. They have a very interesting menu. DD and I choose from the Petite Plates section, she had ribs [not as petite a plate as imagined] and I had a Milanese Tort. This was a vegetarian dish with layers of veggies and cheese wrapped in pastry. DH had the fresh White fish from the main menu. We all enjoyed our selections.
Trip report - Lake Superior and Minneapolis
CAPH - Here is the promised trip report.
- 1 RV trip from Raleigh NC to Grand Canyon, Zion, Arches.. and?
- 2 Traveling the pacific coast highway and national parks in one week
- 3 Trip Report: New Orleans, Nov. 20 - 25, 2013
- 4 Univesity of Wisconsin Madison college visit -any tips
- 5 Heard Les Miz is Returning - Production Any Good
- 6 hawaii for 10 weeks
- 7 Fort Lauderdale weather in late January
- 8 Would this still be a good NYC to Boston Route?
- 9 SuperShuttle - are they always so rude?
- 10 Warm and don't Drive
- 11 After 13 Years, We Returned to the Big Apple
- 12 Antelope Canyon, Zion, and Bryce advice needed
- 13 a very short, uneventful trip report of our 10 days in south Kona
- 14 Biloxi questions again
- 15 For NYC Tourists ... How to spot a New Yorker
- 16 Roadtrip New Orleans, Vicksburg, Montgomery, Mobile, New Orleans
- 17 What is the most European looking city in the United States?
- 18 Road Trip to Montana, Wyoming, Idaho & Oregon
- 19 the Cliffs Resort at Princeville
- 20 Where is the best place to ski and stay in Lake Tahoe??
- 21 San Antonio
- 22 Sedona to Palm Springs
- 23 Family holiday to Hawaii - which islands?
- 24 NOLA 10th Anniv. Suggestions?
- 25 Zion or Death Valley for 2 days in December?