I am researching possible towns to move to in Virginia outside of DC. We are a family of four and our kids are in elementary school. We currently live in Rockville, MD. My husband works in Chantilly, VA and so the commute is absolutely soul crushing!
We are thinking it makes sense to move even though we love Maryland. I'm hoping experts out there can help us. Here is the wish list:
- we like the idea of being near the mountains but we don't want to be in a remote backwoods area
- we would love a town with a vibrant downtown -- historic, quaint, good dining, etc.
- coming from MD, you may have guessed we lean left on the political spectrum so we're hoping for a town that is not too conservative
- we don't want to live in Alexandria or Arlington
- Thoughts on Leesburg?
- which are the best school districts?
- we like an artsy, eclectic and diverse population -- (think Takoma Park)
Not sure if this exists in Virginia, but I'm hoping to find a gem on here. Regarding house prices we could do between 350k to 500k single family neighborhood.
Thank you for any advice!!
Towns in Virginia (outside DC)
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Transportation from Newark airport to Secaucus
- 2 Wilmington, NC to Raleigh - Anything interesting to see in between?
- 3 USA New York City: First-time Visitors
- 4 Dad and daughter trip to Santa Fe
- 5 Tipping advice
- 6 charleston during Christmas Week
- 7 Rules of the Sidewalk
- 8 Fort Myers Beach vs Naples Beach
- 9 3 weeks in USA in February -- refined itinerary
- 10 Avis Car rental Loss Damage Waiver LDW Fraud
- 11 Advanced Reservations for USS Arizona Memorial Available Again
- 12 New Hawaii countdown for 2014-15
- 13 Queens, NY - Do not go
- 14 Tuscon to Las Vegas Drive in December
- 15 Hawaii Rental Cars - Book early
- 16 Boston, NYC or Chicago for 3rd weekend in March?
- 17 Maui - Need a Vegan-Friendly Restaurant Recommendation
- 18 Denver Airport to Downtown Sheraton--Transportation Options?
- 19 Seattle hotel recommendation needed
- 20 Charleston/Savannah/Asheville, 6 days enough?
- 21 Hotel - Caesars Palace OR Signature @ MGM
- 22 Key West Hotel in January
- 23 los angeles restaurants
- 24 West Maui Restaurants
- 25 2 or 3 nights in Hana