I am researching possible towns to move to in Virginia outside of DC. We are a family of four and our kids are in elementary school. We currently live in Rockville, MD. My husband works in Chantilly, VA and so the commute is absolutely soul crushing!
We are thinking it makes sense to move even though we love Maryland. I'm hoping experts out there can help us. Here is the wish list:
- we like the idea of being near the mountains but we don't want to be in a remote backwoods area
- we would love a town with a vibrant downtown -- historic, quaint, good dining, etc.
- coming from MD, you may have guessed we lean left on the political spectrum so we're hoping for a town that is not too conservative
- we don't want to live in Alexandria or Arlington
- Thoughts on Leesburg?
- which are the best school districts?
- we like an artsy, eclectic and diverse population -- (think Takoma Park)
Not sure if this exists in Virginia, but I'm hoping to find a gem on here. Regarding house prices we could do between 350k to 500k single family neighborhood.
Thank you for any advice!!
Towns in Virginia (outside DC)
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Half Moon Bay, CA - stay there or go to Napa Valley?
- 2 Trip Report: An Intoxicating Birthday Day-Trip in Napa
- 3 NYC Clubs for live music
- 4 Mesa Verde
- 5 Boston Logan airport to Salem MA
- 6 ONP-San Juan Islds or Victoria-Seattle - what's best itinerary for 8 days?
- 7 Relocating Tips - Mild Weather, Good Schools, Low Cost of Living
- 8 Alaska trip -Labor Day weekend
- 9 Three Days In Portland, Maine
- 10 LUNCH IN ORLANDO, FL
- 11 LA, San Diego and San Francisco in 8 days -- can/should we try?
- 12 Flights from Bay Area to Orlando, Florida
- 13 Vail or Aspen in summertime?
- 14 Berkshires in late October
- 15 Seeking thoughtful advice on Yellowstone/Tetons trip!
- 16 Seattle: Something Different?
- 17 California road trip
- 18 Need help with Yellowstone and area starting in SLC
- 19 Big Island Fans - will we like Maui?
- 20 ONP help
- 21 December Break Need Recommendations for Southern Travel
- 22 Savanah Sojourn
- 23 Hwy 54 instead of I-40 from Tucumcari to Wichita good or bad idea?
- 24 The Driftless Area: An underappreciated region of the Upper Midwest
- 25 Trip Report - Dinosaur National Monument- UT/CO