My husband and I (both 67) will be flying into Atlanta from the UK on April 6th for a 4 week tour of the SE corner of the USA. We are interested, particularly, in the Civil War, the music and the wildlife. Currently, the planned route is Charleston, Savannah, Talahassee(missing the Pan Handle), New Orleans, Lafayette, Natchez, Vicksburg, Memphis, Tupelo (just to do a bit of theNatchez Trace Highway - worth it?), Nashville, Knoxville, Chattenooga and back to Atlanta. We would welcome any advice - diversions to make, places to avoid! Also, advice on accommodation would be welcome, either individual B & Bs or any Motel Chains which are clean/reasonably priced. We like to mix it up to keep the cost down. Our last trip to the USA was to the Eastern States, Virginia, Maryland, Washington DC etc. and we received some excellent advice from the Fodor Forum so we thought we would try again, fingers crossed.
Touring South East USA
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Mesa Verde
- 2 Is Lanai worth a day trip from Maui?
- 3 In just five days: Grand Teton and Yellowstone NPs
- 4 Does anyone have a place on Cape Cod?
- 5 Chelsea Antiques Garage flea market -- RIP
- 6 Hotel near Miami airport
- 7 Atascadero -> Pacific Grove -> San Francisco
- 8 Vacation with 1 year old - ideas?
- 9 Road Trip SW
- 10 Mt Ranier parking questions
- 11 Los Angeles itinerary for August trip
- 12 culpepper
- 13 Driving Moab to Bryce Canyon
- 14 Chicago trip
- 15 Seatle in September 19-22, Where to stay? Avg prices?
- 16 3 days road trip from Boston to Arcadia National park
- 17 Keystone, CO & area - inside activities?
- 18 Recommendations for accommodation in San Diego?
- 19 Lighting for photos at Mt Ranier
- 20 DENALI FLIGHTSEEING/BUS TOUR OPTION?
- 21 moving to florida
- 22 Santa Barbara, California
- 23 3 days, 4 nights in Denver
- 24 Chicago coffee shop/breakfast
- 25 Maui - Kaanapali shuttle/trolley