We're arriving in Honolulu from Chicago around midnight on January 1. We'll spend that night and three more, leaving on January 5 for Maui.
We are on Maui until the afternoon of January 11. We'll be there to visit friends and attend an event.
Our plan is to then fly to the Big Island with our friends who live on Maui, landing in Hilo. We leave for home from the Kona side on January 17. So, we have 6 nights on the BI.
We are two couples, active, well-travelled, who enjoy beaches, but also culture. We want to definitely visit Volcano National Park when on BI.
Like many others, we're unsure if we should stay in Volcano Village or Hilo. Is Volcano Village really tiny? I do enjoy walking around a new town, and maybe Hilo has more of that.
One or two nights in the area?
The rest of the time in the Kona area, I think, but I am open to other ideas. We'll certainly have done plenty of beach time in Maui, though we can always do more. I like the idea of visiting some of the old, small towns, and less touristed parts of Hawaii. A suggestion was made to head to the NW.
Any ideas are welcome, and thanks in advance!
Three Island visit assistance/BI questions
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 culpepper
- 2 vegas with two teens 13 & 14yo
- 3 moving to florida
- 4 Mesa Verde
- 5 Yellowstone 3 day itinerary advice
- 6 let's do a new Hawaii countdown
- 7 Easiest US airports to get to/from with public transportation
- 8 Alaska railroad?
- 9 Day Cruise from Whittier or Steward?
- 10 Is Fox Rent A Car any good?
- 11 Fear of driving in San Francisco/USA
- 12 Itinerary opinions
- 13 Calgary to Banff
- 14 Big Island Fans - will we like Maui?
- 15 Driving from Denver to Aspen Oct. 2
- 16 Mesa Verde National Park - a Photo Album on Flickr
- 17 Another Californian Odyssey (June/July 2014)
- 18 Drive San Francisco to Yosemite - out of practice driving!
- 19 Santa Fe-Best Time of Year to Visit
- 20 Exploring Los Angeles with Tom (but not maitaitom)
- 21 Our perfect day in Key West
- 22 Chicago coffee shop/breakfast
- 23 2 weeks in Alaska
- 24 Pub with food in Seattle
- 25 Another Southwest Airlines Early Bird Question