We're arriving in Honolulu from Chicago around midnight on January 1. We'll spend that night and three more, leaving on January 5 for Maui.
We are on Maui until the afternoon of January 11. We'll be there to visit friends and attend an event.
Our plan is to then fly to the Big Island with our friends who live on Maui, landing in Hilo. We leave for home from the Kona side on January 17. So, we have 6 nights on the BI.
We are two couples, active, well-travelled, who enjoy beaches, but also culture. We want to definitely visit Volcano National Park when on BI.
Like many others, we're unsure if we should stay in Volcano Village or Hilo. Is Volcano Village really tiny? I do enjoy walking around a new town, and maybe Hilo has more of that.
One or two nights in the area?
The rest of the time in the Kona area, I think, but I am open to other ideas. We'll certainly have done plenty of beach time in Maui, though we can always do more. I like the idea of visiting some of the old, small towns, and less touristed parts of Hawaii. A suggestion was made to head to the NW.
Any ideas are welcome, and thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Looking for pretty waterfront hotel for weekend trip from Detroit
- 2 Itinerary Advice for SLC - Moab - Zion
- 3 LOWER Antelope Canyon
- 4 Maine in late October
- 5 Monterey whale watching
- 6 Need NYC help. Need to get from city out to Millford, NJ.
- 7 Salt Lake City to Northern California or Oregon trip
- 8 Aug Weekend Colorado - Stay in Carbondale, Snowmass or Redstone
- 9 Running kissimmee Florida
- 10 NYC - Sargent - Sorolla
- 11 5 days in Portland and Willamette wine country
- 12 Coast Starlight Amtrak
- 13 Mackinac or Holland?
- 14 Nantucket vs. Jersey Shore
- 15 Grand Canyon Rafting - paddle, oar, or motorized
- 16 Memphis to Dallas
- 17 Ideas for 2 day/1 night Oct. side trip from NYC
- 18 The Big Island, Kauai, and Maui: A Songdoc Trip Report
- 19 The New Whitney
- 20 1.5 days in Chicago
- 21 One afternoon and evening to kill in San Fran
- 22 After FL and CA, where else in the US with a 7-year-old?
- 23 Highway 1 motels
- 24 Rocky Mountain National Park/Estes Park
- 25 Pittsburgh Trip