We're arriving in Honolulu from Chicago around midnight on January 1. We'll spend that night and three more, leaving on January 5 for Maui.
We are on Maui until the afternoon of January 11. We'll be there to visit friends and attend an event.
Our plan is to then fly to the Big Island with our friends who live on Maui, landing in Hilo. We leave for home from the Kona side on January 17. So, we have 6 nights on the BI.
We are two couples, active, well-travelled, who enjoy beaches, but also culture. We want to definitely visit Volcano National Park when on BI.
Like many others, we're unsure if we should stay in Volcano Village or Hilo. Is Volcano Village really tiny? I do enjoy walking around a new town, and maybe Hilo has more of that.
One or two nights in the area?
The rest of the time in the Kona area, I think, but I am open to other ideas. We'll certainly have done plenty of beach time in Maui, though we can always do more. I like the idea of visiting some of the old, small towns, and less touristed parts of Hawaii. A suggestion was made to head to the NW.
Any ideas are welcome, and thanks in advance!
Three Island visit assistance/BI questions
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Finding flights and hotels globally
- 2 USA and Canada in 2 months
- 3 Is the New York subway safe?
- 4 What is timeshare in spiritual sense.
- 5 Skiing New Mexico
- 6 Sacramento to State College, PA in late November
- 7 What do you think about Asian tourist manner?
- 8 Hotel in Newton outside Boston - need transportation and related advice
- 9 Sampling Ethnic Las Vegas II
- 10 Where to from Tampa?
- 11 Angels Crest and Rim of the World Scenic Drives: Mid-November 2014
- 12 Drive Dallas To New Orleans - Best Food Stops!!
- 13 Need ideas - hGirls' trip to Chicago
- 14 Did Interstates ruin travel in America?
- 15 Chicago O'Hare to Downtown
- 16 Three nights in Chicago -- a report
- 17 Trip Report to Pacific Northwest: August 2014
- 18 I am turning 60 and boy do I need help with my trip!
- 19 Relocation: Where Do We Fit In
- 20 What do you do when your VRBO rental is a nightmare in Lake Geneva?
- 21 Thinking about moving from PA to Florida (Dr. Phillips area of Orlando)
- 22 Saturday arrival Seattle airport to Lake Crescent
- 23 Grand Canyon , Zion and Bryce Itinerary suggestions
- 24 Drive from Grand Canyon to Prescott next week
- 25 Houston Weekend Planning Help Needed, please