We're arriving in Honolulu from Chicago around midnight on January 1. We'll spend that night and three more, leaving on January 5 for Maui.
We are on Maui until the afternoon of January 11. We'll be there to visit friends and attend an event.
Our plan is to then fly to the Big Island with our friends who live on Maui, landing in Hilo. We leave for home from the Kona side on January 17. So, we have 6 nights on the BI.
We are two couples, active, well-travelled, who enjoy beaches, but also culture. We want to definitely visit Volcano National Park when on BI.
Like many others, we're unsure if we should stay in Volcano Village or Hilo. Is Volcano Village really tiny? I do enjoy walking around a new town, and maybe Hilo has more of that.
One or two nights in the area?
The rest of the time in the Kona area, I think, but I am open to other ideas. We'll certainly have done plenty of beach time in Maui, though we can always do more. I like the idea of visiting some of the old, small towns, and less touristed parts of Hawaii. A suggestion was made to head to the NW.
Any ideas are welcome, and thanks in advance!
Three Island visit assistance/BI questions
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Tipping advice
- 2 Avis Car rental Loss Damage Waiver LDW Fraud
- 3 Calf trip
- 4 Anyone there to help me!
- 5 Trip to Jupiter, FL
- 6 los angeles restaurants
- 7 Seattle hotel recommendation needed
- 8 2 or 3 nights in Hana
- 9 3 weeks in USA in February -- refined itinerary
- 10 West Maui Restaurants
- 11 Charleston/Savannah/Asheville, 6 days enough?
- 12 Boston, NYC or Chicago for 3rd weekend in March?
- 13 Hawaii or Rio for male single traveler
- 14 Denver Airport to Downtown Sheraton--Transportation Options?
- 15 Fort Myers Beach vs Naples Beach
- 16 Napa/Sonoma hotel confusion...please help
- 17 Key West Hotel in January
- 18 Where to add a few days in Colorado?
- 19 New Orleans Trip Report - Dec. 2014
- 20 San Diego Girl's Trip in December
- 21 New Hawaii countdown for 2014-15
- 22 Seattle, Portland, and day trips all around
- 23 4 week family trip ideas
- 24 x mas
- 25 Trip to Niagara Falls