I’m travelling from the UK early March with two friends for 24 days in America. The original idea was to go and visit NY and LV, but the idea of an all American road trip really interested us all. Yes flying between places is cheaper but it’s not the same as travelling through and seeing the real America, not letting it fly by. The exploration aspect of our trip took over and we’ve ended up with a mammoth roadtrip. I’m quite happy to receive criticism on the plan as I’d rather be aware of any potentials problems now, but please consider this has been planned at length with the help of people who have done this before.
You can see the plan here: http://the-scruff.co.uk/america.png
As you can see we land in New York where we spend a couple of days sightseeing and partying, maybe go see some Ice Hockey Then its onto Niagara falls, then Chicago, then follow route 66 to LA (with a couple of detours like LV). We have an RV for most of the journey apart from last leg from LV to LA, we’ll rent a Mustang or something without a roof.
My concerns/questions are:
How do we stay on Route 66? We’re going to get a map and a satnav with correct waypoints, but would love some more advice on that
Planning overnight stops for RV how necessary is this? We know it’s a BIG problem in Chicago
Point of interest along route? I don’t want to bore you with everything we’ve found, but any suggestions welcome
Great bars along route? In particular it’s my friend’s birthday in Chicago and St Patricks day around about Amarillo Way
Medical cover and travel insurance recommendations
The Best Road Trip
- 1 Kodachrome Basin State Park in Utah
- 2 Advice for 2 night intro trip to Moab in early June (1-3)
- 3 Using public transit in San Diego
- 4 East coast tour - Part2: Phily, Washington, Niagara Falls
- 5 10 day anniversary trip to Oregon Coast
- 6 Buy now or wait . . . airfare to Santa Barbara in late July?
- 7 Back to the Lovely City!!
- 8 Washington Wineries
- 9 Maine - July 5th to July 14
- 10 East coast tour - Part1: NYC
- 11 Exciting historical sites in upstate NY
- 12 Charleston, Savannah and more cheesy grits please
- 13 Hill-Crest "Museum"
- 14 Suggestions for NYC trip next week
- 15 Hudson Valley to Stockbridge, MA/Berkshires
- 16 Memphis Tours
- 17 Please critique our plan...
- 18 time for a new countdown to Hawaii
- 19 Gearhart Oregon
- 20 Seattle to coast to columbia River Gorge
- 21 J-ville airport ground transportation
- 22 Seattle restaurant near Pikes Market
- 23 California, Northern
- 24 Seattle Hotel Choice and Other Questions
- 25 Best place to raise a family in Florida