I’m travelling from the UK early March with two friends for 24 days in America. The original idea was to go and visit NY and LV, but the idea of an all American road trip really interested us all. Yes flying between places is cheaper but it’s not the same as travelling through and seeing the real America, not letting it fly by. The exploration aspect of our trip took over and we’ve ended up with a mammoth roadtrip. I’m quite happy to receive criticism on the plan as I’d rather be aware of any potentials problems now, but please consider this has been planned at length with the help of people who have done this before.
You can see the plan here: http://the-scruff.co.uk/america.png
As you can see we land in New York where we spend a couple of days sightseeing and partying, maybe go see some Ice Hockey Then its onto Niagara falls, then Chicago, then follow route 66 to LA (with a couple of detours like LV). We have an RV for most of the journey apart from last leg from LV to LA, we’ll rent a Mustang or something without a roof.
My concerns/questions are:
How do we stay on Route 66? We’re going to get a map and a satnav with correct waypoints, but would love some more advice on that
Planning overnight stops for RV how necessary is this? We know it’s a BIG problem in Chicago
Point of interest along route? I don’t want to bore you with everything we’ve found, but any suggestions welcome
Great bars along route? In particular it’s my friend’s birthday in Chicago and St Patricks day around about Amarillo Way
Medical cover and travel insurance recommendations
The Best Road Trip
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Kennebunkport and....?
- 2 Cute towns in VIrginia for boutique shopping and restaurants
- 3 Never been on the Ell in Chicago
- 4 2 weeks in FL, Savannah and Charleston
- 5 WISCONSIN
- 6 Hotel recommendation for San Francisco
- 7 Jersey City Parking
- 8 Spring Break in California: San Francisco, Yosemite and up the coast
- 9 NYC apartments through CitySonnet.com
- 10 Best Glacier viewing (by boat) from Seward or Whittier
- 11 Travel West Coast
- 12 recommended cheaper hotels around thanksgiving
- 13 An overnight stay in NYC to see 2 shows
- 14 Sampling Ethnic Las Vegas trip report
- 15 Colorado in the summer!
- 16 Where to go in Maine?
- 17 My Boston weekend...killing time near MGH
- 18 Alaska- cruise or land? and most scenic areas?
- 19 New York City Restaurants
- 20 Hotels in LA ... I know...how long is a piece of string type question...
- 21 traveling Amtrak cross country
- 22 Favorite Washington, DC restaurants
- 23 Napa Girls Getaway - Need hotel advice
- 24 Seeking advice from year round Tucson residents
- 25 Place for a drink where kids are allowed? An NYC question.