I’m travelling from the UK early March with two friends for 24 days in America. The original idea was to go and visit NY and LV, but the idea of an all American road trip really interested us all. Yes flying between places is cheaper but it’s not the same as travelling through and seeing the real America, not letting it fly by. The exploration aspect of our trip took over and we’ve ended up with a mammoth roadtrip. I’m quite happy to receive criticism on the plan as I’d rather be aware of any potentials problems now, but please consider this has been planned at length with the help of people who have done this before.
You can see the plan here: http://the-scruff.co.uk/america.png
As you can see we land in New York where we spend a couple of days sightseeing and partying, maybe go see some Ice Hockey Then its onto Niagara falls, then Chicago, then follow route 66 to LA (with a couple of detours like LV). We have an RV for most of the journey apart from last leg from LV to LA, we’ll rent a Mustang or something without a roof.
My concerns/questions are:
How do we stay on Route 66? We’re going to get a map and a satnav with correct waypoints, but would love some more advice on that
Planning overnight stops for RV how necessary is this? We know it’s a BIG problem in Chicago
Point of interest along route? I don’t want to bore you with everything we’ve found, but any suggestions welcome
Great bars along route? In particular it’s my friend’s birthday in Chicago and St Patricks day around about Amarillo Way
Medical cover and travel insurance recommendations
The Best Road Trip
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Help needed from USA experts... where to?
- 2 Dinner in Miami
- 3 Portsmouth NH to NYC
- 4 After Chigago ? side trips- suggestions
- 5 Met Opera rush tickets - process changed again!
- 6 Need help planning weekend trips: Georgia, Chicago, Tennessee, Alaska?!
- 7 New Hawaii countdown for 2014-15
- 8 Any edits? San Antonio & Austin Itinerary Dec 31st-Jan 5th or 6th
- 9 Family Reunion Ideas for Maine Coast
- 10 62 Hikers airlifted out of Kalalau Trail
- 11 Seattle hotel recommendation needed
- 12 Utah-Arizona National Parks intinary help needed
- 13 fly fishing spring break - warm weather
- 14 Tipping advice
- 15 Lake Rabun Hotel
- 16 NYT article on exploring Los Angeles without a car
- 17 3 weeks in USA in February -- final post before booking hotels
- 18 advice on possible employment in GA or NC rural areas
- 19 Zion, Bryce, Page, GC South Rim, and Arches
- 20 Christmas weather?
- 21 Big island itinerary
- 22 New York City and New England
- 23 San Diego Girl's Trip in December
- 24 Flying from LA to Massachusetts
- 25 Grand Tetons, Yellowstone and Banff in May or early Sept.?