I’m travelling from the UK early March with two friends for 24 days in America. The original idea was to go and visit NY and LV, but the idea of an all American road trip really interested us all. Yes flying between places is cheaper but it’s not the same as travelling through and seeing the real America, not letting it fly by. The exploration aspect of our trip took over and we’ve ended up with a mammoth roadtrip. I’m quite happy to receive criticism on the plan as I’d rather be aware of any potentials problems now, but please consider this has been planned at length with the help of people who have done this before.
You can see the plan here: http://the-scruff.co.uk/america.png
As you can see we land in New York where we spend a couple of days sightseeing and partying, maybe go see some Ice Hockey Then its onto Niagara falls, then Chicago, then follow route 66 to LA (with a couple of detours like LV). We have an RV for most of the journey apart from last leg from LV to LA, we’ll rent a Mustang or something without a roof.
My concerns/questions are:
How do we stay on Route 66? We’re going to get a map and a satnav with correct waypoints, but would love some more advice on that
Planning overnight stops for RV how necessary is this? We know it’s a BIG problem in Chicago
Point of interest along route? I don’t want to bore you with everything we’ve found, but any suggestions welcome
Great bars along route? In particular it’s my friend’s birthday in Chicago and St Patricks day around about Amarillo Way
Medical cover and travel insurance recommendations
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Driving from Denver to San Francisco in July
- 2 Another Outstanding Los Angeles Restaurant: Officine BRERA
- 3 Great eats Portland, Seattle, Vancouver
- 4 Taking Onery Teens to LA for 4 days....
- 5 2017 Yellowstone or bust
- 6 4th of July in Chicago
- 7 Late winter road trip Deep South
- 8 Visiting New York State
- 9 The District by Hilton Club
- 10 Any Cheaper way to fly into Jackson Hole?
- 11 NYC hotel w/great room view for 30th anniv.
- 12 Colorado Hiking in September
- 13 nashville,tenn
- 14 Florida Coffee Roasters
- 15 Hotel/Itinerary Washington DC, Family of 5
- 16 Yosemite and surrounding for WINTER 2017: DO NEED HELP!
- 17 Yosemite Hike
- 18 July camping Cayo Costa State Park
- 19 Yellowstone/GTNP trip booked! Now need tour advice please.
- 20 Uber Ride from LV to South Rim, Grand Canyon?
- 21 Bucket List
- 22 DC area hotel for end of June...
- 23 Is Fox Rent A Car any good?
- 24 Thanksgiving Road trip California
- 25 Your thoughts on Brooklyn Heights