I’m travelling from the UK early March with two friends for 24 days in America. The original idea was to go and visit NY and LV, but the idea of an all American road trip really interested us all. Yes flying between places is cheaper but it’s not the same as travelling through and seeing the real America, not letting it fly by. The exploration aspect of our trip took over and we’ve ended up with a mammoth roadtrip. I’m quite happy to receive criticism on the plan as I’d rather be aware of any potentials problems now, but please consider this has been planned at length with the help of people who have done this before.
You can see the plan here: http://the-scruff.co.uk/america.png
As you can see we land in New York where we spend a couple of days sightseeing and partying, maybe go see some Ice Hockey Then its onto Niagara falls, then Chicago, then follow route 66 to LA (with a couple of detours like LV). We have an RV for most of the journey apart from last leg from LV to LA, we’ll rent a Mustang or something without a roof.
My concerns/questions are:
How do we stay on Route 66? We’re going to get a map and a satnav with correct waypoints, but would love some more advice on that
Planning overnight stops for RV how necessary is this? We know it’s a BIG problem in Chicago
Point of interest along route? I don’t want to bore you with everything we’ve found, but any suggestions welcome
Great bars along route? In particular it’s my friend’s birthday in Chicago and St Patricks day around about Amarillo Way
Medical cover and travel insurance recommendations
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Nashville Never Been
- 2 10 days in California. What should I hit?
- 3 Spring Break National Park Visit
- 4 28 Day Road Trip to the Northwest from Chicago
- 5 Wine Country
- 6 Where's best place to stay near volcano big island besides volcano house?
- 7 Camping in or near Big Bend National Park
- 8 Fall 1st time trip wine country
- 9 Florida beach vacation
- 10 LV off strip hotels with shuttles to strip
- 11 sight seeing Las Vegas to Palm Springs to Sante Fe
- 12 South Beach Miami dance clubs for people in their 30s and 40s
- 13 Oahu Trip Report with Friends Nov 2016
- 14 I95
- 15 Rafting the Colorado
- 16 4 Nights in NM with a 10 Year Old
- 17 First Time Oahu/Maui
- 18 Yosemite Trip May 2017
- 19 Uber boston
- 20 New York City - Wasington February 2017
- 21 Florida vacation
- 22 Buying a home in NJ - need advice from locals thank you!
- 23 Trip to USA in July
- 24 a short trip to san francisco
- 25 Please help with Route 66 planning, overnight stops and detours