I’m travelling from the UK early March with two friends for 24 days in America. The original idea was to go and visit NY and LV, but the idea of an all American road trip really interested us all. Yes flying between places is cheaper but it’s not the same as travelling through and seeing the real America, not letting it fly by. The exploration aspect of our trip took over and we’ve ended up with a mammoth roadtrip. I’m quite happy to receive criticism on the plan as I’d rather be aware of any potentials problems now, but please consider this has been planned at length with the help of people who have done this before.
You can see the plan here: http://the-scruff.co.uk/america.png
As you can see we land in New York where we spend a couple of days sightseeing and partying, maybe go see some Ice Hockey Then its onto Niagara falls, then Chicago, then follow route 66 to LA (with a couple of detours like LV). We have an RV for most of the journey apart from last leg from LV to LA, we’ll rent a Mustang or something without a roof.
My concerns/questions are:
How do we stay on Route 66? We’re going to get a map and a satnav with correct waypoints, but would love some more advice on that
Planning overnight stops for RV how necessary is this? We know it’s a BIG problem in Chicago
Point of interest along route? I don’t want to bore you with everything we’ve found, but any suggestions welcome
Great bars along route? In particular it’s my friend’s birthday in Chicago and St Patricks day around about Amarillo Way
Medical cover and travel insurance recommendations
The Best Road Trip
- 1 Eataly in Chicago -- Coming Soon!
- 2 The impossible dream: Bypassing I-95 between DC and Richmond
- 3 Traveling the U.S. by car for a long time!
- 4 Ft. Stewart/Savannah
- 5 Long Weekend in KY: Bourbon Trail and Mammoth Cave
- 6 suewoo and any other Charleston, SC experts
- 7 Disney Florida - Which parks to go for 1.5 days?
- 8 San Antonio
- 9 let's do a new Hawaii countdown
- 10 Hotel near Public Theater
- 11 How much would it cost to have dental implants done in India?
- 12 Hollywood with 17yr old son
- 13 How to safely transport a newborn baby in downtown Chicago without your own car?
- 14 Oahu Information
- 15 Any additions to my general plan for 2 night stay in Jacksonville (no car)?
- 16 Charlotte Area Suggestions
- 17 Wailea Maui Restaurants
- 18 Best Cirque du Soleil show in Vegas 14 and 11 yo boys?
- 19 Savanah Sojourn
- 20 One day in Washington DC
- 21 Which Florida Key to snorkel?
- 22 Special Chrstmas Tree
- 23 Staying at the Omni in downtown austin. Anywhere to park cheaper?
- 24 South Florida luxury hotels with a 5 year old
- 25 Help! Travel plans to USA West Coast