Myself and my boyfriend are in our 20's, living in NYC for the last year and originally from Ireland. We are due to head home in Sept and before we head home, we want to go on a road trip around Texas and the South and I was wondering if anyone with any tips could help us out with things to see, do, eat, sleep etc!
Due to limited vacation leave from work, we only have 10 days and as we don't know when we'll be back this side of the Atlantic we have decided to just go for it and see as much as we can in the time we have - 10 days isn't ideal but just have to work with what we have we are also planning to head at the end of june and just going to have to grin and bear the heat!!
So we're flying into Austin and departing from nashville. At the moment, a rough itinery we have is as follows:
Austin, TX (drinks downtown)
Houston, TX, (space centre)
New orleans (steamboat on the Mississippi river, nightlife, plantations)
Birmingham, AL, (civil rights)
Memphis, TN (elvis, blues)
Nashville, TN (coutry music)
As you can see, we have a general idea of what to do but when it comes to specific museums, restaurants, b and b's we're kinda stumped! We also aren't too sure if we're missing out on vital things! What do we enjoy doing/seeing? anything that is iconic to where we are! just absorbing the atmosphere! whatever is typical for that area! we also are looking for scenic routes. I imagine austin to houston wont be too scenic, but maybe from NO to Birmingham there will be a nice route, or memphis to nashville??
finally, we'd love to go to a ranch, but from my review of the net, it seems like this is all concentrated in bandera and there isnt much between austin and houston?? we'd love to go horseback riding for a few hours somewhere!
Any and all tips are greatly appreciated, thanks for taking the time to read this!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Sept trip: San Diego, Disneyland and...?
- 2 Driving from San Fran to Seattle
- 3 Day hikes in Yosemite for family of 4 (2 teens)
- 4 San Francisco, Yosemite, Carmel
- 5 Florida in October
- 6 Thoughts on these 3 spots for Estes Park lodging?
- 7 transportation from JFK to Newark airport 1 way
- 8 Where to stay - Yosemite, Sequoia, Zion - late July
- 9 Yosemite traffic worth it for 2-3 days?
- 10 Hilton Waikoloa Village - Yay or Nay?
- 11 FLL to Key West
- 12 2-day romantic couple getaway in CO mountains?
- 13 Driving south from Washington DC, but where??
- 14 Bringing gift box abroad as carry on?
- 15 Roadtrippin on Route 66
- 16 Road Trip to ND, SD, Nebraska, and Iowas
- 17 7-DAY SOJOURN IN SO. CAL
- 18 road trip
- 19 New England Road Trip
- 20 Best Vegas hotel with 12 & 15 year olds
- 21 Help with NE (Maine, Boston, Cape Cod) Trip
- 22 AZ and UT family road trip-seeking advice
- 23 Road trip from Saint Louis, Mo
- 24 Recommend an ATV Tour in UT, AZ or CO
- 25 Best way from Niagara Falls to Washington DC