Myself and my boyfriend are in our 20's, living in NYC for the last year and originally from Ireland. We are due to head home in Sept and before we head home, we want to go on a road trip around Texas and the South and I was wondering if anyone with any tips could help us out with things to see, do, eat, sleep etc!
Due to limited vacation leave from work, we only have 10 days and as we don't know when we'll be back this side of the Atlantic we have decided to just go for it and see as much as we can in the time we have - 10 days isn't ideal but just have to work with what we have we are also planning to head at the end of june and just going to have to grin and bear the heat!!
So we're flying into Austin and departing from nashville. At the moment, a rough itinery we have is as follows:
Austin, TX (drinks downtown)
Houston, TX, (space centre)
New orleans (steamboat on the Mississippi river, nightlife, plantations)
Birmingham, AL, (civil rights)
Memphis, TN (elvis, blues)
Nashville, TN (coutry music)
As you can see, we have a general idea of what to do but when it comes to specific museums, restaurants, b and b's we're kinda stumped! We also aren't too sure if we're missing out on vital things! What do we enjoy doing/seeing? anything that is iconic to where we are! just absorbing the atmosphere! whatever is typical for that area! we also are looking for scenic routes. I imagine austin to houston wont be too scenic, but maybe from NO to Birmingham there will be a nice route, or memphis to nashville??
finally, we'd love to go to a ranch, but from my review of the net, it seems like this is all concentrated in bandera and there isnt much between austin and houston?? we'd love to go horseback riding for a few hours somewhere!
Any and all tips are greatly appreciated, thanks for taking the time to read this!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 4 Days in Maui
- 2 New York: "It's SOOOOOOOO Touristy"
- 3 Looking For Specific Accommodation Recommendations
- 4 Itinerary help for 3-night stay in DC?
- 5 Mt Rushmore/Badlands late March?
- 6 Vacation Destination for Large Family
- 7 I need your help
- 8 Boston--Another Art Mission
- 9 Transport LGA to Grand Central
- 10 hawaii location for young couple needed
- 11 Road trip to rock-y landscape from NC
- 12 Biloxi Suggestions
- 13 Martha's Vineyard area
- 14 Oregon Itinerary Critique, please.
- 15 Washington DC: your favorite part of your visit
- 16 Martha's Vineyard or Chatham?
- 17 Rental Car using the ferries in Washington
- 18 Casual dinner in the theater district
- 19 15 Nt Feb Trip (7 in Waikiki). Possible to do South Kauai & Big Island?
- 20 Contemplating moving from Chicago to Nashville
- 21 Maui: 2014 Christmas week
- 22 Places to visit with a one year old between MA and WV.
- 23 Avalon/ Catalina Questions
- 24 Chicago - Family Weekend
- 25 Seattle to San Francisco 3 weeks