Myself and my boyfriend are in our 20's, living in NYC for the last year and originally from Ireland. We are due to head home in Sept and before we head home, we want to go on a road trip around Texas and the South and I was wondering if anyone with any tips could help us out with things to see, do, eat, sleep etc!
Due to limited vacation leave from work, we only have 10 days and as we don't know when we'll be back this side of the Atlantic we have decided to just go for it and see as much as we can in the time we have - 10 days isn't ideal but just have to work with what we have we are also planning to head at the end of june and just going to have to grin and bear the heat!!
So we're flying into Austin and departing from nashville. At the moment, a rough itinery we have is as follows:
Austin, TX (drinks downtown)
Houston, TX, (space centre)
New orleans (steamboat on the Mississippi river, nightlife, plantations)
Birmingham, AL, (civil rights)
Memphis, TN (elvis, blues)
Nashville, TN (coutry music)
As you can see, we have a general idea of what to do but when it comes to specific museums, restaurants, b and b's we're kinda stumped! We also aren't too sure if we're missing out on vital things! What do we enjoy doing/seeing? anything that is iconic to where we are! just absorbing the atmosphere! whatever is typical for that area! we also are looking for scenic routes. I imagine austin to houston wont be too scenic, but maybe from NO to Birmingham there will be a nice route, or memphis to nashville??
finally, we'd love to go to a ranch, but from my review of the net, it seems like this is all concentrated in bandera and there isnt much between austin and houston?? we'd love to go horseback riding for a few hours somewhere!
Any and all tips are greatly appreciated, thanks for taking the time to read this!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Need Advice For Trip with 16year old son-
- 2 Zion NP & Las Vegas with Kids for 3 days in July - Please Help
- 3 Trip Idea for Thanksgiving Break
- 4 Limited time on Maui: Advice please
- 5 Savanah Sojourn
- 6 Gotta Go To Stanford U Medical Center
- 7 60th birthday trip to Vermont, NH, Maine in October
- 8 Southwest charging USD15/ for early bird check in
- 9 ONE WAY car rental from NYC to BOS
- 10 San Francisco - Best place to see street art
- 11 Travel suggestions from Mystic, CT to Bar Harbor, Maine
- 12 Road trip from Boston to Florida
- 13 Black Hills, Mount Rushmore, Badlands Trip Report
- 14 Driving from San Francisco Airport to San Rafael
- 15 Newark to Paris
- 16 Phone SIM
- 17 A June trip to Kauai
- 18 Sacramento to South Lake Tahoe to Riverside, CA
- 19 Do you have suggestions on my first roadtrip South-West USA?
- 20 ONE DY ONE NIGHT IN LA
- 21 Avoiding Los Angeles Traffic
- 22 Transit Advisory July 4, 2016 Local Transit will be on a hoilday schedule
- 23 Napa Valley Hotel
- 24 October Fall Foliage Itinerary
- 25 The city never sleeps, but we needed to