Myself and my boyfriend are in our 20's, living in NYC for the last year and originally from Ireland. We are due to head home in Sept and before we head home, we want to go on a road trip around Texas and the South and I was wondering if anyone with any tips could help us out with things to see, do, eat, sleep etc!
Due to limited vacation leave from work, we only have 10 days and as we don't know when we'll be back this side of the Atlantic we have decided to just go for it and see as much as we can in the time we have - 10 days isn't ideal but just have to work with what we have we are also planning to head at the end of june and just going to have to grin and bear the heat!!
So we're flying into Austin and departing from nashville. At the moment, a rough itinery we have is as follows:
Austin, TX (drinks downtown)
Houston, TX, (space centre)
New orleans (steamboat on the Mississippi river, nightlife, plantations)
Birmingham, AL, (civil rights)
Memphis, TN (elvis, blues)
Nashville, TN (coutry music)
As you can see, we have a general idea of what to do but when it comes to specific museums, restaurants, b and b's we're kinda stumped! We also aren't too sure if we're missing out on vital things! What do we enjoy doing/seeing? anything that is iconic to where we are! just absorbing the atmosphere! whatever is typical for that area! we also are looking for scenic routes. I imagine austin to houston wont be too scenic, but maybe from NO to Birmingham there will be a nice route, or memphis to nashville??
finally, we'd love to go to a ranch, but from my review of the net, it seems like this is all concentrated in bandera and there isnt much between austin and houston?? we'd love to go horseback riding for a few hours somewhere!
Any and all tips are greatly appreciated, thanks for taking the time to read this!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Do you want NCAA Ticket Exchange?
- 2 Are you looking art industry?
- 3 Are you looking Hair and makeup Specialist?
- 4 Cross country tips
- 5 Parka in PA during February?
- 6 Back from the Big Easy
- 7 Are you looking Very Practical Gift?
- 8 Three relaxing weeks in Palm Springs
- 9 CEO Dollar Rental Car
- 10 Best May/Jun Yosemite lodging areas: Yosemite West, El Portal, or Wawona?
- 11 Last minute Keys Trip Advice Please
- 12 Clear Roads From Seattle to Omaha 12-9-16?
- 13 Best Kids' Skiing <3 hours from Chicago?
- 14 Disappointed with Budget Car Rental Las Vegas
- 15 EWR to Midtown Manhattan
- 16 Driving from San Diego CA to Great lakes IL in FEB
- 17 17' uhaul from seattle wa to San Antonio Texas
- 18 DIA to Estes Park in mid-Feb. 4x4?
- 19 IAH to HOU Questions
- 20 Traveling into the US with Alcohol
- 21 "Unique" New York City Experiences-Yours
- 22 Jazzfest side trips
- 23 Sedona v Scottsdale?
- 24 March in New Mexico
- 25 No Spam this morning!!