Myself and my boyfriend are in our 20's, living in NYC for the last year and originally from Ireland. We are due to head home in Sept and before we head home, we want to go on a road trip around Texas and the South and I was wondering if anyone with any tips could help us out with things to see, do, eat, sleep etc!
Due to limited vacation leave from work, we only have 10 days and as we don't know when we'll be back this side of the Atlantic we have decided to just go for it and see as much as we can in the time we have - 10 days isn't ideal but just have to work with what we have we are also planning to head at the end of june and just going to have to grin and bear the heat!!
So we're flying into Austin and departing from nashville. At the moment, a rough itinery we have is as follows:
Austin, TX (drinks downtown)
Houston, TX, (space centre)
New orleans (steamboat on the Mississippi river, nightlife, plantations)
Birmingham, AL, (civil rights)
Memphis, TN (elvis, blues)
Nashville, TN (coutry music)
As you can see, we have a general idea of what to do but when it comes to specific museums, restaurants, b and b's we're kinda stumped! We also aren't too sure if we're missing out on vital things! What do we enjoy doing/seeing? anything that is iconic to where we are! just absorbing the atmosphere! whatever is typical for that area! we also are looking for scenic routes. I imagine austin to houston wont be too scenic, but maybe from NO to Birmingham there will be a nice route, or memphis to nashville??
finally, we'd love to go to a ranch, but from my review of the net, it seems like this is all concentrated in bandera and there isnt much between austin and houston?? we'd love to go horseback riding for a few hours somewhere!
Any and all tips are greatly appreciated, thanks for taking the time to read this!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Ideas for February Road Trip from San Francisco?
- 2 New England Road Trip Itinerary
- 3 Later Winter around Mobile
- 4 USA Trip in 4 Weeks
- 5 Uber boston
- 6 Any Estero Island/Ft Myers experts?
- 7 Best route to tour most of Michigan-Help!
- 8 Florida keys trip
- 9 Oregon Trip March 2017
- 10 First Time to Maine - Itinerary Help!
- 11 New orleans recs for family
- 12 Spring Break National Park Visit
- 13 Steamboat Springs, CO
- 14 My Colorado trip ?'s (June)
- 15 Florida beach vacation
- 16 Suggestion for Las Vegas to Yosemite in July
- 17 Hawaii Help
- 18 sight seeing Las Vegas to Palm Springs to Sante Fe
- 19 2 days in Vermont, Green Mountain area
- 20 Driving from Provo to Grand Junction in March 2017
- 21 HAWAII; HELP!
- 22 28 Day Road Trip to the Northwest from Chicago
- 23 San Francisco to San Diego Road Trip with little kids
- 24 Coffee in Boston?
- 25 Palm Springs restaurant suggestions.