Myself and my boyfriend are in our 20's, living in NYC for the last year and originally from Ireland. We are due to head home in Sept and before we head home, we want to go on a road trip around Texas and the South and I was wondering if anyone with any tips could help us out with things to see, do, eat, sleep etc!
Due to limited vacation leave from work, we only have 10 days and as we don't know when we'll be back this side of the Atlantic we have decided to just go for it and see as much as we can in the time we have - 10 days isn't ideal but just have to work with what we have we are also planning to head at the end of june and just going to have to grin and bear the heat!!
So we're flying into Austin and departing from nashville. At the moment, a rough itinery we have is as follows:
Austin, TX (drinks downtown)
Houston, TX, (space centre)
New orleans (steamboat on the Mississippi river, nightlife, plantations)
Birmingham, AL, (civil rights)
Memphis, TN (elvis, blues)
Nashville, TN (coutry music)
As you can see, we have a general idea of what to do but when it comes to specific museums, restaurants, b and b's we're kinda stumped! We also aren't too sure if we're missing out on vital things! What do we enjoy doing/seeing? anything that is iconic to where we are! just absorbing the atmosphere! whatever is typical for that area! we also are looking for scenic routes. I imagine austin to houston wont be too scenic, but maybe from NO to Birmingham there will be a nice route, or memphis to nashville??
finally, we'd love to go to a ranch, but from my review of the net, it seems like this is all concentrated in bandera and there isnt much between austin and houston?? we'd love to go horseback riding for a few hours somewhere!
Any and all tips are greatly appreciated, thanks for taking the time to read this!
Texas and Deep South Road Trip - with Limited Time!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Will have five days in Savannah
- 2 Ideas for 1st time trip to LA/Santa Monica/Hollywood with 16 yr old
- 3 Washington/Oregon....trip ideas
- 4 Exploring Los Angeles with Tom (but not maitaitom)
- 5 New England in the fall
- 6 Our perfect day in Key West
- 7 Relocating Tips - Mild Weather, Good Schools, Low Cost of Living
- 8 Hiking Arches or Canyonlands National Park in fall?
- 9 Mesa Verde
- 10 Vail or Aspen in summertime?
- 11 Long Beach Aquarium Trip
- 12 Itinerary opinions
- 13 A tour of an Amish Community near Midland MI
- 14 Paved bike path near Bryce Canyon, through Red Canyon
- 15 Help w road trip from Huntington Beach to SF, skipping LA area
- 16 Recommendations for accommodation in San Diego?
- 17 Help on which island(s) for Scuba Divers
- 18 Trip Report - Santa Monica, Dinosaur, Steamboat, and Telluride
- 19 Heading to Maine in September - Where are the moose?
- 20 NYC Clubs for live music
- 21 relocating travel
- 22 Need help with Yellowstone and area starting in SLC
- 23 Seattle Hyatts
- 24 Long Weekend in KY: Bourbon Trail and Mammoth Cave
- 25 Big Island Fans - will we like Maui?