Myself and my boyfriend are in our 20's, living in NYC for the last year and originally from Ireland. We are due to head home in Sept and before we head home, we want to go on a road trip around Texas and the South and I was wondering if anyone with any tips could help us out with things to see, do, eat, sleep etc!
Due to limited vacation leave from work, we only have 10 days and as we don't know when we'll be back this side of the Atlantic we have decided to just go for it and see as much as we can in the time we have - 10 days isn't ideal but just have to work with what we have we are also planning to head at the end of june and just going to have to grin and bear the heat!!
So we're flying into Austin and departing from nashville. At the moment, a rough itinery we have is as follows:
Austin, TX (drinks downtown)
Houston, TX, (space centre)
New orleans (steamboat on the Mississippi river, nightlife, plantations)
Birmingham, AL, (civil rights)
Memphis, TN (elvis, blues)
Nashville, TN (coutry music)
As you can see, we have a general idea of what to do but when it comes to specific museums, restaurants, b and b's we're kinda stumped! We also aren't too sure if we're missing out on vital things! What do we enjoy doing/seeing? anything that is iconic to where we are! just absorbing the atmosphere! whatever is typical for that area! we also are looking for scenic routes. I imagine austin to houston wont be too scenic, but maybe from NO to Birmingham there will be a nice route, or memphis to nashville??
finally, we'd love to go to a ranch, but from my review of the net, it seems like this is all concentrated in bandera and there isnt much between austin and houston?? we'd love to go horseback riding for a few hours somewhere!
Any and all tips are greatly appreciated, thanks for taking the time to read this!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 http://no2surgeblog.com/jack-hammer-xl/
- 2 JFK Terminal 8
- 3 SF-Yosemite-Monterey Peninsula
- 4 Dinner Cruise down San Antonio River?
- 5 Seaside, California
- 6 Harpers Ferry weekend
- 7 Yellowstone/Grand Tetons (Oct 2016)
- 8 Moving to Florida from Oregon
- 9 Today it rained…on the road in the PNW
- 10 Seattle, Las Vegas and Salt Lake
- 11 NYC Discounted Metropolitan Opera Tickets
- 12 washington-blueridge parkway-myrtle beach
- 13 Quick Honeymoon ideas for Nov?
- 14 California relaxing vacation ideas
- 15 Bed and Breakfast
- 16 Suggestions for Philadelphia
- 17 What car service?
- 18 Moving to a new state looking for advice
- 19 Denali
- 20 Where should I drop off rental car near Boston?
- 21 which airport when going to Stamford,CT?
- 22 Maine in May?
- 23 Myrtle Beach hotels that meet my specific criteria
- 24 New Years Eve in NYC
- 25 Savannah and Charleston over New Years.