Taos, NM trip report
Hi all. We drove 2000 miles in six days!!! Talk about road trip. Had a blast. We went to see college son who was doing a quick summer school session before starting an internship. There is a campus up there connected to his school, so we loaded up our car and drove EAST!
We left after work and got as far as Flagstaff, AZ. Stayed at the first, er, second place we got to. Should have driven further, but it was OK. A La Quinta for $90. It was clean, comfortable and had a free extended breakfast in the morning.
After we refueled ourselves and the car, on to Taos. Only trip bummer; AZ police pulled us over for not moving over; even though he was alone in an unmarked car. We still aren't sure what the alleged "emergency" was about, but he slapped a nice welcome to AZ ticket on us and then we were on our way. Made it to Taos by 2 or so. Dropped by to pick up our son and go into the town and check into the El Pueblo Lodge. We were a day early and they were very good about accommodating us. We got a very big room with 2 queen beds, a patio overlooking the cookout area, a fridge, AC, and a wonderful, extended breakfast in the AM. Very good rates and very nice people.
Went to the Old Taos Inn and had a drink and listened to some music. Had some chips and salsa there. Walked around the plaza. We then went to Antonio’s for dinner. I wasn’t too happy with my dinner; not warm enough and just very so so.
Next day walked around the plaza and poked in and out of shops after eating at Michaels. Great place. I had the German pancakes; husband had some eggs and meat plate. When we went back to El Pueblo we went out on the patio for more coffee and enjoyed just lingering there for a while since we had to change our room to get our reserved in advance king. Great room also; fireplace, large, quiet and had an extra couch/bed. We were happy there for the next two nights.
Day #2 picked up son and headed out to the gorge and the bridge. Quite a site. We drove around up in the mountains. Came back and had dinner at Orlando’s. Loved this place.
Next day we went to the Taos Pueblo and walked around for a while. Very nice place, peaceful and picturesque. I was so bummed that no one was selling fry bread or sopapillas as had been promised. Oh well. Then on to the Millicent Roger’s Museum. Loved it. Beautiful pots, jewelry and other artifacts on display. We then drove up the mountain and had lunch at the Bavarian. Great place and views. Stopped on the way down for ice cream at the Taos Cow in a small town, forgot the name of it. We had dinner that night at the Outback Pizza with our son and a few of his friends. WOW, I could go back and try every pizza on the menu. Great place and really enjoyed sitting outside.
Took son to airport in Albuquerque so he could fly home and we drove to Tucson. Got a room at the Marriott on ASU campus off of Priceline and ate at Gentle Ben’s. Drove home on Sunday. All went well; car held up, cheaper gas prices than CA, nice, nice people wherever we went, awesome food, lovely views, amazing artwork and my son made an A- in his summer school class.
Thank you all for your suggestions. All of them were very helpful and made for us to have a wonderful, memory filled trip experience.
Taos, NM trip report from So Cal
Taos, NM trip report
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Carmel by the sea to Las Vegas by road
- 2 FIRST TIME ARIZONA WITH KIDS! HELP PLEASE!
- 3 St Augustine Hotels, what area?
- 4 Sequoia and King's Canyon NP Lodging options
- 5 New England Skiing
- 6 advice please.. family of 8 trip to california in august
- 7 Zion NP - Grand Canyon North Rim - Las Vegas
- 8 Megabus, Tripper, or Boltbus from Wash DC to NYC. Which one is better?
- 9 Salem public transportation- how early or late??
- 10 Fall color yet?
- 11 Ideas for short driving tour around Washington DC, please
- 12 Rittenhouse restaurants?
- 13 Activities in Maui and Kauai.....Please Help!
- 14 Steakhouse Suggestion in Boston Please
- 15 New York City with 3 teens!! Need help!!!
- 16 Charleston, SC transportation to HD from Airport
- 17 ABQ Balloon Fiesta - What to do in the down time?
- 18 Colorado aspen updates
- 19 Chicago - Midway airport to downtown
- 20 Looking for Next Destination
- 21 Yosemite Lodging
- 22 Worst Restaurants in America
- 23 Lesser seen places in DC?
- 24 Take the T or cab from Logan
- 25 SFO International Airport