We are a family of 4 (kids are 8 & 6). I am planning our summer vacation for next year (we use miles and hotel points whenever possible, so we book 330 days in advance). I thought that I was all set with our plans, but I have changed my mind based on our current vacation. Was planning Alaska cruise & then road trip to San Francisco through Pacific NW. DH & I have done this 10 years ago & loved it.
Now I have realized that it would not be a good trip with my kids. They don't enjoy sightseeing or seeing animals for more than a minute. We are currently in Hawaii (which we all LOVE) but their favorite things are swimming in pools, beaches, playing with other kids. They have "put up" with us driving around looking at scenery
We have taken 2 long summer trips (well, currently in the middle of the 2nd) that have been great. Hawaii (Oahu, Maui, Kauai + 8 nights in so. Cal). Last summer we drove from PA to Fort Lauderdale to go on the Oasis of the Seas (stopping in Williamsburg - they loved Busch Gardens & put up with Historic Williamsburg), Savannah, Hilton Head, Disney.
We've been to Disney World 5 times, they love NYC (but it gets expensive after a few days!), theme parks (Hershey), Lancaster for farm stays, DE & NJ beaches, Washington DC.....
Looking for a long (3+ week) trip where we can combine swimming, resort pool, sightseeing (for the parents...lol), and family fun. Thinking about Caribbean, but I couldn't stay at one resort (or location in general) for more than a week - we prefer to move around.
One idea is a week+ in San Juan and e cruise.
Thought of going North (Niagara Falls, Montreal, etc), but DH and I did that one July & we are wearing jeans and sweatshirts in our photos ( looking for warmer so kids can swim).
I am open to any ideas, so I will look into anything that you all throw out there.
Leaving from Philadelphia, budget is about 10k for 3 weeks (and we have lots of ff miles, so hoping to use those too).
Summer 2013 family trip - need suggestions please
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Death Valley in June in a motorhome
- 2 Big Island Trip Report: Hooked on Hilo; Kohala Coast is Costly!
- 3 Universal studios/Orlando
- 4 What to do in Pawley's Island in Early March?
- 5 Florida, Gulf Coast recommendations
- 6 Best seafood restaurant in Boston
- 7 Salt Lake City, Utah
- 8 USA with a 3 year old
- 9 Most affordable Wineries in Northern California near Napa?
- 10 Accomodations in Seattle for 15
- 11 NYC theatre broadway
- 12 A dreamy week on Kauai with three generations
- 13 First family ski trip
- 14 Best stops for road trip from San Fran down the coast, family of 5?
- 15 Dividing time in Grand Canyon
- 16 Looking for Destination Ideas
- 17 Seattle hotel recommendation needed
- 18 Great Smokies - Seasonal Closings
- 19 Looking for Hotel Alternatives on Coast to Coast Trip
- 20 Chain of Craters Road safe with Infants
- 21 Black Canyon of the Gunnison East Portal Road
- 22 Durango-Ouray-Telluride- Mesa Verde
- 23 Wedding venue in NH
- 24 Planning help for honeymoon - likely Maui and the big island of Hawaii
- 25 Spending February on the Florida Panhandle