We are a family of 4 (kids are 8 & 6). I am planning our summer vacation for next year (we use miles and hotel points whenever possible, so we book 330 days in advance). I thought that I was all set with our plans, but I have changed my mind based on our current vacation. Was planning Alaska cruise & then road trip to San Francisco through Pacific NW. DH & I have done this 10 years ago & loved it.
Now I have realized that it would not be a good trip with my kids. They don't enjoy sightseeing or seeing animals for more than a minute. We are currently in Hawaii (which we all LOVE) but their favorite things are swimming in pools, beaches, playing with other kids. They have "put up" with us driving around looking at scenery
We have taken 2 long summer trips (well, currently in the middle of the 2nd) that have been great. Hawaii (Oahu, Maui, Kauai + 8 nights in so. Cal). Last summer we drove from PA to Fort Lauderdale to go on the Oasis of the Seas (stopping in Williamsburg - they loved Busch Gardens & put up with Historic Williamsburg), Savannah, Hilton Head, Disney.
We've been to Disney World 5 times, they love NYC (but it gets expensive after a few days!), theme parks (Hershey), Lancaster for farm stays, DE & NJ beaches, Washington DC.....
Looking for a long (3+ week) trip where we can combine swimming, resort pool, sightseeing (for the parents...lol), and family fun. Thinking about Caribbean, but I couldn't stay at one resort (or location in general) for more than a week - we prefer to move around.
One idea is a week+ in San Juan and e cruise.
Thought of going North (Niagara Falls, Montreal, etc), but DH and I did that one July & we are wearing jeans and sweatshirts in our photos ( looking for warmer so kids can swim).
I am open to any ideas, so I will look into anything that you all throw out there.
Leaving from Philadelphia, budget is about 10k for 3 weeks (and we have lots of ff miles, so hoping to use those too).
Summer 2013 family trip - need suggestions please
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Cab Cost from McCarren to Venetian Hotel?
- 2 Florida--single woman seeks best beaches for swimming and
- 3 Yellowstone Lodging in October
- 4 Seeking advice from year round Tucson residents
- 5 NYC over Memorial Day Weekend 2014
- 6 My Boston weekend...killing time near MGH
- 7 Where can I best see Orca whales in the wild?
- 8 NYC apartments through CitySonnet.com
- 9 Kennedy Space Center
- 10 Alexandria or Georgetown
- 11 Should we stop for a Saturday night in Baltimore?
- 12 Lunch with little girls UWS?
- 13 Metro from airport to hotel?
- 14 5 week in US/Mexico
- 15 WEst Coast WINTER holiday - 5 weeks driving.
- 16 AK-Glacier Bay, Wrangel Elias, Lake Clark, Matanuska glacier, Valdez?
- 17 John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge at Tinicum
- 18 recommended cheaper hotels around thanksgiving
- 19 Hotel recommendation for San Francisco
- 20 RIP Rizzoli, J&R Music, Pearl Paint
- 21 Book ahead for weekends this spring in Asheville, NC
- 22 Best non-chic, non-strip Hotel choices in Las Vegas??
- 23 Colorado Trip in Late May 2014
- 24 Albuquerque Recommendations
- 25 San Diego Itinerary-- Suggestions???