OK, let me explain. I live in Tulsa, OK, and the next largest city (not State) is 2 hours away, so the concept of staying in one state and short trips to different states is hard for me to imagine. Also, we have no commuter trains here, so this is also totally new. My plan is to fly to the DC area, spend several days in DC, and then take a train north. We want to visit all the historical stuff and main tourist spots! Then take the train back and fly home. I can schedule from 10-14 days total. I was thinking to pick a good base state (the point in question) and rent a car or take trains, whichever is best, to visit different spots. We want to visit specifically Philadelphia, Mystic & Gloucester, NYC, Boston and Newport. Now help! What State would be the best base? I guess it needs to be somewhere close to a train station. I was thinking of staying in CT or RI. Would that work? Would like to stay in a harbor town. Could I take day trips from CT or RI to the places listed? I'm assuming train would be best to Boston and NYC, but what would be best for the others? I'm planning for June of next year if the season makes any difference. I know this is early, but I usually plan about a year in advance to get the places I want. Thanks so very much for any help on this. We have never been East. We will have our sons with us, age 17 and 19. Anxious to hear great ideas from everyone!
State hoping - where to base from???
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Las Vegas to Los Angeles via Death Valley
- 2 Favorite Flightseeing from Anchorage in June?
- 3 let's do a new Hawaii countdown
- 4 AirBnB is illegal in San Francisco,
- 5 MACINAC ISLAND, MICHIGAN
- 6 Sampling Ethnic Las Vegas trip report
- 7 Cabins less than one hour Rabun County Georgia in NC
- 8 Grand Circle Itinerary Utah
- 9 Hotel recommendation for San Francisco
- 10 Dining in D.C.
- 11 MICHIGAN - UPPER PENINSULA
- 12 Jersey City Parking
- 13 Washington DC Metro
- 14 Kennebunkport and....?
- 15 Grand Staircase Esclante National Monument
- 16 VRBO/Airbnb rental status in San Francisco
- 17 Where to go in Maine?
- 18 Places to eat like a local in Los Angeles
- 19 Travel options from Washington DC to Williamsburg, Virginia
- 20 Christmas cruise in Hawaii
- 21 Wedding in Hawaii
- 22 Houseboat on Lake Powell
- 23 rain in Kauai
- 24 Alaska cruise and land
- 25 Antelope Canyon. Tour form Page or just show up there and pick a guide ?