OK, let me explain. I live in Tulsa, OK, and the next largest city (not State) is 2 hours away, so the concept of staying in one state and short trips to different states is hard for me to imagine. Also, we have no commuter trains here, so this is also totally new. My plan is to fly to the DC area, spend several days in DC, and then take a train north. We want to visit all the historical stuff and main tourist spots! Then take the train back and fly home. I can schedule from 10-14 days total. I was thinking to pick a good base state (the point in question) and rent a car or take trains, whichever is best, to visit different spots. We want to visit specifically Philadelphia, Mystic & Gloucester, NYC, Boston and Newport. Now help! What State would be the best base? I guess it needs to be somewhere close to a train station. I was thinking of staying in CT or RI. Would that work? Would like to stay in a harbor town. Could I take day trips from CT or RI to the places listed? I'm assuming train would be best to Boston and NYC, but what would be best for the others? I'm planning for June of next year if the season makes any difference. I know this is early, but I usually plan about a year in advance to get the places I want. Thanks so very much for any help on this. We have never been East. We will have our sons with us, age 17 and 19. Anxious to hear great ideas from everyone!
State hoping - where to base from???
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Grand Circle & Wyoming
- 2 Key Largo, FL
- 3 Arthritis and Humidity where to live?
- 4 Nude Beaches- Positive or Negative Experience?
- 5 Need an interesting place for one night near Memphis
- 6 San Antonio Airport Taxi to Majestic... and Food Suggestions??
- 7 travel up the coast from San Franciso to Seattle
- 8 Your favorite Glacier NP lodging and itinerary help
- 9 driving from San Francisco to Seattle
- 10 West Coast Bound End of March
- 11 Buy GoPro Hero3
- 12 Help with Northeast vacation strategy
- 13 Austin Anniversary Dinner
- 14 driver for airport pick up in NY
- 15 Socorro, NM to Yellowstone and back in 7-8 days
- 16 Philly sports fans: bar needed...and running route.
- 17 let's do a new Hawaii countdown
- 18 Gatlinburg Tennessee Itinerary suggestions
- 19 Suggestions? Family of four that like National Parks
- 20 Locker at JFK
- 21 Ziplines, Zorb, Pancakes, and Parrots
- 22 Best places to move to Florida?
- 23 Philadelphia
- 24 Big Island Trip Report: Hooked on Hilo; Kohala Coast is Costly!
- 25 San Diego