OK, let me explain. I live in Tulsa, OK, and the next largest city (not State) is 2 hours away, so the concept of staying in one state and short trips to different states is hard for me to imagine. Also, we have no commuter trains here, so this is also totally new. My plan is to fly to the DC area, spend several days in DC, and then take a train north. We want to visit all the historical stuff and main tourist spots! Then take the train back and fly home. I can schedule from 10-14 days total. I was thinking to pick a good base state (the point in question) and rent a car or take trains, whichever is best, to visit different spots. We want to visit specifically Philadelphia, Mystic & Gloucester, NYC, Boston and Newport. Now help! What State would be the best base? I guess it needs to be somewhere close to a train station. I was thinking of staying in CT or RI. Would that work? Would like to stay in a harbor town. Could I take day trips from CT or RI to the places listed? I'm assuming train would be best to Boston and NYC, but what would be best for the others? I'm planning for June of next year if the season makes any difference. I know this is early, but I usually plan about a year in advance to get the places I want. Thanks so very much for any help on this. We have never been East. We will have our sons with us, age 17 and 19. Anxious to hear great ideas from everyone!
State hoping - where to base from???
View all United States activity »
- 1 Question about Boulder area
- 2 Sedona to Palm Springs
- 3 RV trip from Raleigh NC to Grand Canyon, Zion, Arches.. and?
- 4 Need a Good family restaurant near Disney World
- 5 Heard Les Miz is Returning - Production Any Good
- 6 For NYC Tourists ... How to spot a New Yorker
- 7 Univesity of Wisconsin Madison college visit -any tips
- 8 What is the most European looking city in the United States?
- 9 Where to stay in Kauai in December?
- 10 San Francisco Hotel Help
- 11 Biloxi questions again
- 12 Denali Bus Tour Evaluation
- 13 San Francisco - Stu Dudley's Recommendations
- 14 Madison Square Garden
- 15 SuperShuttle - are they always so rude?
- 16 Inexpensive Weekend Getaway- New England
- 17 Would this still be a good NYC to Boston Route?
- 18 NOLA 10th Anniv. Suggestions?
- 19 Traveling the pacific coast highway and national parks in one week
- 20 Trip Report: New Orleans, Nov. 20 - 25, 2013
- 21 hawaii for 10 weeks
- 22 Fort Lauderdale weather in late January
- 23 Warm and don't Drive
- 24 After 13 Years, We Returned to the Big Apple
- 25 Antelope Canyon, Zion, and Bryce advice needed