Just a few comments and observations. Took the train from Kansas City to St. Louis. The train was a little delayed and perhaps longer than driving, but very relaxing. Used only our feet and the Metrolink once in SL (with the exception of a cab to and from the Amtrak station). We stayed at the Embassy Suites in Laclede's landing, which is a little worn, but still provides good service and amenities. Laclede's landing is an ok location b/c it is close to the Arch, riverboats, and gambling. I had hoped the Landing had continued to develop (renovate) since our last visit 5ish years ago, but I'm not sure it hasn't deteriorated. I wish there were a few different restaurant options there. We ate at the Morgan Street brewery, with mixed results, and "Skeeters" (by necessity b/c the adjacent Spaghetti Factory (yes, we have kids) was too busy). In addition to enjoying the attractions around the Arch, we took the Metrolink to Forest Park (20 minutes, with the zoo link bus starting up Saturday) for the zoo and art museum. There is so much more to do at the park, but it was crowded and exhausting. IMHO signage (or lack thereof) at the park was a little frustrating. Also used the link to Union Station. Union Station, of course, is a known quantity. We ate 3 meals there because the options were a little more preferrable to the Landing, though we knowingly paid more for the touristy location than for the chain-restaurant food. (Prices weren't much cheaper in Laclede's landing). All in all, it made for a fun weekend, with no driving. That said, our food options were too limited and pricey for what they were. If we stayed any longer, a car or taxi would have been necessary. We found the Link relatively clean, safe and the people friendly.
St. Louis trip report - by train and Link
View all United States activity »
- 1 Best Cirque du Soleil show in Vegas 14 and 11 yo boys?
- 2 Help! Travel plans to USA West Coast
- 3 San Diego Desert Trip in January
- 4 RIP Judy Rogers
- 5 dog friendly hotels websites--any others than bringfido.com?
- 6 The impossible dream: Bypassing I-95 between DC and Richmond
- 7 No high rises, low key natural area with water access in SW Fla
- 8 7 weeks Canada and USA. Help with itinerary please.
- 9 Warm and don't Drive
- 10 Hollywood with 17yr old son
- 11 BASEBALL SPRING TRAINING-SCOTTSDALE
- 12 First time to Austin-San Antonio area
- 13 Fun restaurants in New Orleans
- 14 Charlotte Area Suggestions
- 15 San Francisco Hotel Help
- 16 hotel near Met NYC
- 17 NY - Tapas/Wine bar in theater district
- 18 Roadtrip New Orleans, Vicksburg, Montgomery, Mobile, New Orleans
- 19 Princeville in January
- 20 Good mobile booking apps for Kansas City area
- 21 pa to az
- 22 Trip Report: New Orleans, Nov. 20 - 25, 2013
- 23 Savanah Sojourn
- 24 Christmas Day Dinner in Charleston SC
- 25 Calling Cards for Hawaii Travelers?