My boyfriend and I are planning a southern road trip mid April.
We have 19 days and are planning to start in Charleston and end in New Orleans.
So far we have identified a route of sorts and we were hoping that people on the forums could give us some feedback and advice.
The route so far is:
• Charleston, SC
• Savannah, GA
• Great Smoky Mountains, TN (around Gatlinburg)
• Nashville, TN
• Memphis, TN
• Vicksburg, MI
• Natchez, MI
• Lafayette, LA
• New Orleans, LA (we have this locked in for 4/5 days for the Jazz Fest)
What do you think? How many days should we give each stop? There are obviously some big destinations I am missing, namely Atlanta and all of Alabama! Are there any changes you would make? Replacements?
We are also toying with Mammoth Cave in Kentucky.
What about driving routes? Are there any you recommend that have stops of interest? We know we’ll be doing a lot of driving but we’re Australian’s and used to long hauls!
We are big on food when we travel and history and adore American National Parks though having said that I don’t think any of my stops really cover the civil rights movement.
Any feedback appreciated and if you have any suggestions of where to eat good Southern food along the way let us know.
Southern USA Road Trip
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Florida Home Vacation Rentals
- 2 How to dress in Vegas
- 3 Dining in Manhattan
- 4 Carmel (and Monterey) weekend with a 4 year old
- 5 California & French Polynesia
- 6 Places to eat like a local in Los Angeles
- 7 A Week in Naples Florida--Much Ado About Food (and Wine)
- 8 where in 'Charleston' would you winter?
- 9 Arthritis and Humidity where to live?
- 10 Escape cold in mid-Feb (4) nights from Michigan
- 11 Road trip next summes...Suggestions ?
- 12 Chicago- The Godfrey hotel or the Hotel Burnham????
- 13 St Patrick's renovations
- 14 New Casual Italian/Pizza Restaurant, via Danny Meyer: MARTA
- 15 Boston Uber shenanigans? Fake airport fees
- 16 4 week family trip ideas
- 17 Did Interstates ruin travel in America?
- 18 ideas for roadtrip through Utah, Idaho, Wyoming and Colorado
- 19 Is It Possible - One Post for MT, UT, WY in a Week?
- 20 From Seattle airport to the city
- 21 General Utah planning questions
- 22 A trip to the SW: Not rushed, do it all, perfect time of year.
- 23 Protecting yourself when using VRBO
- 24 Washington and Oregon Fall vacation 2015
- 25 need two stop-overs from LA to Santa Fe, NM