My boyfriend and I are planning a southern road trip mid April.
We have 19 days and are planning to start in Charleston and end in New Orleans.
So far we have identified a route of sorts and we were hoping that people on the forums could give us some feedback and advice.
The route so far is:
• Charleston, SC
• Savannah, GA
• Great Smoky Mountains, TN (around Gatlinburg)
• Nashville, TN
• Memphis, TN
• Vicksburg, MI
• Natchez, MI
• Lafayette, LA
• New Orleans, LA (we have this locked in for 4/5 days for the Jazz Fest)
What do you think? How many days should we give each stop? There are obviously some big destinations I am missing, namely Atlanta and all of Alabama! Are there any changes you would make? Replacements?
We are also toying with Mammoth Cave in Kentucky.
What about driving routes? Are there any you recommend that have stops of interest? We know we’ll be doing a lot of driving but we’re Australian’s and used to long hauls!
We are big on food when we travel and history and adore American National Parks though having said that I don’t think any of my stops really cover the civil rights movement.
Any feedback appreciated and if you have any suggestions of where to eat good Southern food along the way let us know.
Southern USA Road Trip
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Hotel near Miami airport
- 2 Atascadero -> Pacific Grove -> San Francisco
- 3 Chelsea Antiques Garage flea market -- RIP
- 4 Vacation with 1 year old - ideas?
- 5 Road Trip SW
- 6 Mt Ranier parking questions
- 7 Los Angeles itinerary for August trip
- 8 In just five days: Grand Teton and Yellowstone NPs
- 9 culpepper
- 10 Driving Moab to Bryce Canyon
- 11 Chicago trip
- 12 Seatle in September 19-22, Where to stay? Avg prices?
- 13 3 days road trip from Boston to Arcadia National park
- 14 Keystone, CO & area - inside activities?
- 15 Recommendations for accommodation in San Diego?
- 16 Lighting for photos at Mt Ranier
- 17 DENALI FLIGHTSEEING/BUS TOUR OPTION?
- 18 moving to florida
- 19 Santa Barbara, California
- 20 3 days, 4 nights in Denver
- 21 Chicago coffee shop/breakfast
- 22 Maui - Kaanapali shuttle/trolley
- 23 Hearst Castle - Is the Grand Rooms tour really the best for first timers?
- 24 Fall vacation in Colorado
- 25 Philly