My boyfriend and I are planning a southern road trip mid April.
We have 19 days and are planning to start in Charleston and end in New Orleans.
So far we have identified a route of sorts and we were hoping that people on the forums could give us some feedback and advice.
The route so far is:
• Charleston, SC
• Savannah, GA
• Great Smoky Mountains, TN (around Gatlinburg)
• Nashville, TN
• Memphis, TN
• Vicksburg, MI
• Natchez, MI
• Lafayette, LA
• New Orleans, LA (we have this locked in for 4/5 days for the Jazz Fest)
What do you think? How many days should we give each stop? There are obviously some big destinations I am missing, namely Atlanta and all of Alabama! Are there any changes you would make? Replacements?
We are also toying with Mammoth Cave in Kentucky.
What about driving routes? Are there any you recommend that have stops of interest? We know we’ll be doing a lot of driving but we’re Australian’s and used to long hauls!
We are big on food when we travel and history and adore American National Parks though having said that I don’t think any of my stops really cover the civil rights movement.
Any feedback appreciated and if you have any suggestions of where to eat good Southern food along the way let us know.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Best time to visit alaska
- 2 Road Trip Loop San Fran south to Monterey - then -east
- 3 Advise on trip
- 4 ALASKA FOR 7 DAYS
- 5 Route Dr. - FLA speed traps?
- 6 help getting through mobile, al
- 7 Alaska cruise round trip from Seattle - need a passport?
- 8 Hawaii, Big Island, Luau
- 9 Cody, WY --suggestions for short stop?
- 10 Bar Harbor/Acadia NP
- 11 SW Colorado and Moab, UT
- 12 Moab UT Accommendations
- 13 Pearl Harbor no bag policy
- 14 NJ to Florida drive
- 15 DC Metro Closures
- 16 Denver CO what to do arriving at 8am
- 17 easy to access car rental near but not in Logan Airport
- 18 Grade 12 subjects
- 19 A day at Franconia Notch State Park and White Mountain National Forest
- 20 A week in NYC - first timers
- 21 Portland-Seattle and lots more: Itinerary comments requested
- 22 Crowd levels in Pigeon Forge/Sevierville
- 23 Any one found a fee free ATM around Point Pleasant, NJ area?
- 24 From NYC to DC...Bus Questions
- 25 A weekend in Alaska: Northern Lights and more