My boyfriend and I are planning a southern road trip mid April.
We have 19 days and are planning to start in Charleston and end in New Orleans.
So far we have identified a route of sorts and we were hoping that people on the forums could give us some feedback and advice.
The route so far is:
• Charleston, SC
• Savannah, GA
• Great Smoky Mountains, TN (around Gatlinburg)
• Nashville, TN
• Memphis, TN
• Vicksburg, MI
• Natchez, MI
• Lafayette, LA
• New Orleans, LA (we have this locked in for 4/5 days for the Jazz Fest)
What do you think? How many days should we give each stop? There are obviously some big destinations I am missing, namely Atlanta and all of Alabama! Are there any changes you would make? Replacements?
We are also toying with Mammoth Cave in Kentucky.
What about driving routes? Are there any you recommend that have stops of interest? We know we’ll be doing a lot of driving but we’re Australian’s and used to long hauls!
We are big on food when we travel and history and adore American National Parks though having said that I don’t think any of my stops really cover the civil rights movement.
Any feedback appreciated and if you have any suggestions of where to eat good Southern food along the way let us know.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 fairfeld inn or Hampton inn
- 2 Vegas to Grand Canyon by car in a day
- 3 Flipkey may be worse the vrbo
- 4 Husband unable to walk long distances
- 5 Middle aged and overweight - can I hike
- 6 Road Trippin' I-94, I-90, I-5, I-70, & I-80
- 7 Maui Bed and Breakfast
- 8 Pacific Coast Highway 1st Timer
- 9 Tioga Rd closed May-Oct??
- 10 All you can eat lobster in vegas and caviar
- 11 Yosemite, Sequoia, Kings Canyon in June 2018
- 12 Inexpensive NYC Meals 2.0
- 13 GOOD EATING ON THE DRIVE BETWEEN FLORIDA AND THE NORTHEAST??
- 14 Hotel near Marlins Park
- 15 Two Seniors Visit NOLA, Cajuns and MS, Leave Wiser
- 16 limited mobility for Savannah
- 17 Easter Week in Key West April 2017
- 18 Colorado Forest Die Off - How Awful Is It? Should We Visit Elsewhere?
- 19 Northwest Passage
- 20 Travelling to Colorado for the First Time - What Should I See and Do?
- 21 Cleveland in 36 hours
- 22 17 DAYS - NATIONAL PARKS (LOOP FROM VEGAS)
- 23 Northwest Car Trip
- 24 What type of hire car for Nat Parks in UT, AZ
- 25 Kauai - wow, just WOW!!!