Our youngest son is going to a camp in NC this summer, so we're thinking about picking him up and then doing a loop through the south - visiting places we're lived or have ties to that the boys have never seen or don't remember. We would start in Florida, pick Rob up about 3 hours east of Chattanooga, then stop in Chattanooga (see the Delta Queen steamship which is now a hotel there), Nashville, Tupelo MS, Jackson MS, New Orleans, then drive back to Bradenton FL. We know what we want to do/see in most of the places, but what about things to do along the way? The boys are 17, 19, and 21 - we like outdoor things, architecture, history, weird roadside attractions, and barbecue. We haven't been back to Nashville for a LONG time. We want to go to the Narrows, Percy Warner Park, Belle Meade, Rotiers, and Belle Meade Motel, Vandy, the Parthenon - what else would you suggest for teenagers? We're debating a downtown hotel vs less expensive. Also, we want to break up that loooong and boring I-10 drive - what would be a good stop?
Southern road trip - FL/NC/TN/MS/LA
View all United States activity »
- 1 Savanah Sojourn
- 2 Disney Florida - Which parks to go for 1.5 days?
- 3 Traveling the U.S. by car for a long time!
- 4 Eataly in Chicago -- Coming Soon!
- 5 One day in Washington DC
- 6 How to safely transport a newborn baby in downtown Chicago without your own car?
- 7 Which Florida Key to snorkel?
- 8 Special Chrstmas Tree
- 9 Staying at the Omni in downtown austin. Anywhere to park cheaper?
- 10 South Florida luxury hotels with a 5 year old
- 11 Help! Travel plans to USA West Coast
- 12 Wailea Maui Restaurants
- 13 RIP Judy Rogers
- 14 Fun restaurants in New Orleans
- 15 Road trip across the USA - looking for suggestions.
- 16 Boston area
- 17 10 day Hawaii Vacations
- 18 2nd visit to California wine country, recommendations needed.
- 19 Maybe a trip to NYC will make my 16 year old think Mom's okay
- 20 San Francisco Hotel Help
- 21 South Lake Tahoe (end of December 2013)
- 22 The impossible dream: Bypassing I-95 between DC and Richmond
- 23 Hollywood with 17yr old son
- 24 UK passport to travel from US to Thailand
- 25 Any additions to my general plan for 2 night stay in Jacksonville (no car)?