But not the new station.
The MTA (which runs the subway) has announced that they will reopen the original 1905 South Ferry loop subway station during the first week of April 2013. The loop station was closed in March 2009 when a brand new station (which can handle 2 full 10 car train) was opened under it.
The new station was pretty much wreaked due to flood waters from Hurricane Sandy and it is estimated that it will take 3 years to rebuild. The flood waters actually reached from the tracks up to the street exit in one spot.
At the present time #1 trains operate only to Rector St, leaving a 9 block walk to South Ferry//Staten Island Ferry.
When the old loop station reopens, passengers for South Ferry will have to ride in the 1st 5 cars of the train as the platform is only long enough for 5 cars. Passengers in the rear cars will be given a chance to walk on the platform at Rector St to get to the front 5 cars. (It is illegal to walk thru the train except in an emergency or as directed by the train crew or police/fire. There will be signs in each car advising passengers).
In additional there will be a passageway at the front of the platform to allow for a free transfer to the R train (Whitehall St-South Ferry station).
South Ferry Subway station to reopen
But not the new station.
- 1 Hotels on Hilo side of the Big Island?
- 2 Got Plans for New Year's Eve? Want to Count Down With a Giant Walleye?
- 3 Moonstruck Patisserie - Hilo ~ wow!!
- 4 Big Island Hawaii - stay in Kona AND Hilo? Also when are school holidays?
- 5 let's do a new Hawaii countdown
- 6 Hey drivers, taking my grandmother to San Fran - lil help?!?
- 7 Inexpensive Weekend Getaway- New England
- 8 US West Coast - Car or Camper
- 9 hawaii for 10 weeks
- 10 First timers in Kauai--would love advice/suggestions
- 11 Bowers Museum - Need Restaurant Suggestions Nearby
- 12 Eataly in Chicago -- Coming Soon!
- 13 Las Vegas to Zion National Park - Fear of Heights
- 14 Which Florida Key to snorkel?
- 15 Orlando to Salt Lake City route, end of January
- 16 Im new and need HELP to plan my Rv travel !!
- 17 Has anyone used AirBnB to find lodging?
- 18 Road Trip to Montana, Wyoming, Idaho & Oregon
- 19 First time to Austin-San Antonio area
- 20 St. Augustine, Florida
- 21 San Antonio
- 22 Maybe a trip to NYC will make my 16 year old think Mom's okay
- 23 hotel near Met NYC
- 24 Where should I move to?
- 25 Taking a Road trip Memphis through to Smokey Mtns.