It seems like sonoma is the consensus most convenient place to stay for access to a lot of wine area. We have 3 days in wine country - our plan is to eat a lot, go to Di Rosa, ride in a hot air balloon, maybe rent bikes, and go to a couple wineries each day. The cottage inn looks great and the off-season prices are within the budget. However 2 of our 3 dinner reservations are in Yountville (Ad Hoc and Bouchon) so wondering how long the drive is from Sonoma to Yountville. I know driving times in this area can be much longer than google maps claims... How much would a cab run to bring us to and from Yountville if we want to have a heavier wine night?
In Mendocino, we are staying 3 nights at the Andiron - has anyone stayed here? It seems rustic but still "nice." Want to be sure that it is MANY steps up from camping.
We would like to do some kayaking on the coast in Mendocino - have seen 2 different companies - Liquid Fusion and Kayak Mendocino - any recommendation between the two? Also, where is the best place to spend an afternoon doing some easy hiking in the redwoods?
Lastly - does this itinerary look doable/ideal?
Thursday- late flight into SFO, sleep at airport hotel
Friday- Drive up the coast (route 1?) Stop at pt reyes on the way to eat some cheese and walk around, light hiking, etc. Arrive Mendocino
Saturday and Sunday - full days around Mendocino - kayak, redwoods, breweries, relaxation (any spa recommendation?)
Monday - Drive down 101, stop in 1 or 2 tasting rooms in Healdsburg area. Arrive hotel in Sonoma or Yountville
Tuesday, Wednesday - wine, food, art, etc
thursday - Drive back to SFO and go home.
Thanks very much
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Western Trip - CO, Utah, NV
- 2 Looking for suggestions for Washington state weekend getaways
- 3 Self-Catering to Lunch at Philadelphia's Barnes Collection
- 4 Transportation Newark/High Line and Penn Station/Newark
- 5 Sonoma Wine Tour 2 nights
- 6 Advice on tipping
- 7 Campground and Beach near Mystic, Ct
- 8 Restaurants in San Francisco and Napa/Sonoma Valley
- 9 Hilton Head restaurants
- 10 September Road Trip in New England
- 11 Road trip October
- 12 Amish
- 13 Our Badlands, Black Hills, Yellowstone Adventure, June 2015
- 14 SF, One day trip to wine county help July 3-5th??
- 15 United Nations tours
- 16 Solo Trip to Seattle on a Budget
- 17 national/state park in November
- 18 Road trip phila to toronto - help!
- 19 Nantucket for Columbus Weekend
- 20 Broadway Banter revived, Spring 2015!
- 21 Cayo Costa State Park
- 22 Restaurant near Dana on the bay San Diego
- 23 Philadelphia to Sunset, SC via I81 and others
- 24 Cross Country NH to WA
- 25 Yreka, CA to Medford, OR, Siskiyou Pass