It seems like sonoma is the consensus most convenient place to stay for access to a lot of wine area. We have 3 days in wine country - our plan is to eat a lot, go to Di Rosa, ride in a hot air balloon, maybe rent bikes, and go to a couple wineries each day. The cottage inn looks great and the off-season prices are within the budget. However 2 of our 3 dinner reservations are in Yountville (Ad Hoc and Bouchon) so wondering how long the drive is from Sonoma to Yountville. I know driving times in this area can be much longer than google maps claims... How much would a cab run to bring us to and from Yountville if we want to have a heavier wine night?
In Mendocino, we are staying 3 nights at the Andiron - has anyone stayed here? It seems rustic but still "nice." Want to be sure that it is MANY steps up from camping.
We would like to do some kayaking on the coast in Mendocino - have seen 2 different companies - Liquid Fusion and Kayak Mendocino - any recommendation between the two? Also, where is the best place to spend an afternoon doing some easy hiking in the redwoods?
Lastly - does this itinerary look doable/ideal?
Thursday- late flight into SFO, sleep at airport hotel
Friday- Drive up the coast (route 1?) Stop at pt reyes on the way to eat some cheese and walk around, light hiking, etc. Arrive Mendocino
Saturday and Sunday - full days around Mendocino - kayak, redwoods, breweries, relaxation (any spa recommendation?)
Monday - Drive down 101, stop in 1 or 2 tasting rooms in Healdsburg area. Arrive hotel in Sonoma or Yountville
Tuesday, Wednesday - wine, food, art, etc
thursday - Drive back to SFO and go home.
Thanks very much
Sonoma vs Yountville, Mendocino, and itinerary questions.
- 1 Eataly in Chicago -- Coming Soon!
- 2 US West Coast - Car or Camper
- 3 Las Vegas to Zion National Park - Fear of Heights
- 4 hawaii for 10 weeks
- 5 Which Florida Key to snorkel?
- 6 Orlando to Salt Lake City route, end of January
- 7 Im new and need HELP to plan my Rv travel !!
- 8 Has anyone used AirBnB to find lodging?
- 9 Road Trip to Montana, Wyoming, Idaho & Oregon
- 10 Hey drivers, taking my grandmother to San Fran - lil help?!?
- 11 First time to Austin-San Antonio area
- 12 Bowers Museum - Need Restaurant Suggestions Nearby
- 13 St. Augustine, Florida
- 14 let's do a new Hawaii countdown
- 15 San Antonio
- 16 Maybe a trip to NYC will make my 16 year old think Mom's okay
- 17 hotel near Met NYC
- 18 Where should I move to?
- 19 Inexpensive Weekend Getaway- New England
- 20 Taking a Road trip Memphis through to Smokey Mtns.
- 21 Fripp island
- 22 2nd visit to California wine country, recommendations needed.
- 23 Help Requested for Winter Cross-Country Driving Move
- 24 Where to stay for a Baltimore/DC trip
- 25 7 weeks Canada and USA. Help with itinerary please.