We are staying at a hotel on Lombard Street while visiting San Francisco. We will have a car but have heard that there is a lot of traffic on Lombard Street and in San Francisco in general. Is the traffic really that bad? We will arrive on a Sunday evening (driving in from L.A. ending the first part of our trip), and will have full days on Monday – Friday, then leaving for airport on Saturday. Ideally we would like to drive if traffic will not consume our day and if parking is readily available in the city/ not too expensive. Or, is it better to use public transportation through San Francisco’s ‘MUNI’ transit system? Our thoughts are that if using MUNI, we would prefer using the rail/ subway/ metro option instead of the bus, since the bus will face the same traffic as we would in a car. However, their website seems to indicate that we would still need to use the bus for parts of our route. Any thoughts or tips (can we just walk to most places?) Areas we want to visit are: Golden Gate Bridge/ Marina Bay/ Union Square/ Pier 39/ and possibly Fisherman’s Wharf. Thank you in advance for any help and suggestions!
San Francisco Transportation tips from Lombard Street!?
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 scenic route from Estes Park to Salt Lake City
- 2 Traveling from Vegas to Grand Canyon and Southern Utah
- 3 Restaurant recomendations in the east 54th Street area, please.
- 4 Connecticut Highway 1. Should we do it?
- 5 Traffic from Wine Country to SFO on weekday
- 6 Recommended Private Shuttle Service From JFK Airport to Long Island City
- 7 4 Days in Kauai what to see and do
- 8 final plans utah/arizona trip
- 9 Kid School Admission
- 10 SOS....Thunderstorms when we plan to visit NOLA
- 11 Kauai - wow, just WOW!!!
- 12 NYC hotel/July
- 13 Boston to see Sargent works
- 14 Purchase of Florida Condo
- 15 Southern Alabama trip report
- 16 Lake Tahoe - May Vacation Advice
- 17 2 Short Trips to NYC: Broadway, Opera, Tenements, Hotels, Cholesterol
- 18 New York City-New Things?
- 19 16 Days in Utah and Colorado with Our 2 Young Boys!
- 20 Oom-pa-pa at the Y (our “camping” report) April 2015 St. Louis MO
- 21 Alaska Trip Planning
- 22 Calling card for land line phones in National Parks in the western states
- 23 Atlanta to LA
- 24 Don't let me miss any special spots, YNP & GTNP in July.
- 25 Navajo Trail in Bryce Canyon -- what to do when Wall Street closed??