We are planning a trip from Ireland to the West coast in late August / early September. We are in our 40s and are bringing our 16 year old son and 15 year old niece. So far, the best bet flight wise is Dublin - San Francisco return. We have relatives in SF to lodge with during our stay there. My sister lives in Portland OR so that's our next port of call. As we will have luggage for weeks, i reckon that internal flights will hammer us with baggage charges. I'm thinking that our best bet will be to hire a car and drive up, keep the car and drive back down at the end of the trip.
The kids are pretty laid back but not into museums etc. We love wine and food. I'm looking for suggestions for the best route that is both time efficient and fun. I'm thinking of a bit of rafting for the kids - Bend maybe??? I hoped that 3 days and 2 nights up would be enough and 2 days 1 night on the way back.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions / comments you may have.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Total Eclipse of the Sun visible in USA - plan ahead for August 21, 2017
- 2 Charlottesville & NC BBQ Trip Report
- 3 Oregon Coast question
- 4 Hawaii wedding
- 5 California road trip
- 6 Luau Worth the Money or Not?
- 7 Blackwater Falls State Park Lodge vs. Canaan Valley Resort
- 8 Oregon Coast with 1, 4 and 6, year old
- 9 Used point to reserve room now a friend wants to stay for free
- 10 Grand Canyon in February?? Doable?
- 11 Self-Guided Walking Tours For Savannah and Charleston
- 12 Moving to Montana
- 13 WNY, Cleveland, and Niagara on the Lake
- 14 Makana Charter Reviews in Kauai?
- 15 Tetons, Yellowstone help
- 16 First Time to Seattle-Portland-Willamette Valley
- 17 Solo Trip to Mid-West
- 18 Savanah GA
- 19 transportation from Plano TX to Norman OK
- 20 Florida with a 2 year old
- 21 traveling I 70 across Colorado
- 22 ASAP Help w/San Fran to San Diego 12 day road trip with young kids
- 23 Colorado itinerary
- 24 West Virginia -the 49th state!
- 25 Driving through Chicago area to Wisconsin