After many years, my wife and I are making a return visit to Texas in late March of 2017. We will be flying into the Dallas area and renting a vehicle. We will work our way down to San Antonio visiting various places along the way. Our original plan was to then drive to New Mexico to see some sights and eventually to the Phoenix, AZ area before flying home.
After researching distances etc., I have concerns with the drive from San Antonio up to Carlsbad, NM. We were going to take interstate 10 west to Pecos and then route 285 up to Carlsbad. Some of the distances between towns are quite lengthy. From those of you who may have driven this route, can you provide some idea as to the terrain and what to expect? I did notice there are several ghost towns on the route. We may decide to change our plans and skip the New Mexico/Arizona portion this time around.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Mini Trip to Smithsonian Exhibits Facility
- 2 Central California Coast Road Trip - Pismo Beach to Monterey
- 3 Reviews/Comments on Caravan Tours
- 4 Lead in me in the right direction for our first Hawaii trip
- 5 NYC - Pastrami sandwich near library, Grand Central Station, St Patrick's
- 6 JFK Terminal 4 to Terminal 8
- 7 Tahoe - Plumpjack Inn vs. Basecamp Hotel
- 8 New England Tour
- 9 Blue Ridge Parkway/Great Smoky Mountains
- 10 Rhode Island Get Away
- 11 Colorado October 16-25, 2017
- 12 Road Trip - SF to Sonoma
- 13 Alaska 19 day itinerary - comments/opinions, please?
- 14 Visiting Kauai...NEXT week!!
- 15 Venice, CA area
- 16 Avis or Budget from LAX
- 17 Pacific Grove/Carmel CA area
- 18 Visiting Kauai...NEXT WEEK!!
- 19 Please help us find a wonderful boutique hotel in the western U.S.
- 20 Adirondacks trip repot
- 21 beach chair and umbrella rentals in carmel?
- 22 When will Key West be recovered from Irma?
- 23 CLT connection times, Charlotte
- 24 Grand Circle Trip from Ohio
- 25 Hotel location Albuquerque