This report augments the relatively limited body of work available to travelers wanting to combine a play at the Weinberg Theater and a visit to Frederick, Md, staying at a cheesy motel (Country Inn and Suites) close to T.J.Max just off 270 but not too far from downtown Frederick. Yesterday DW and I decided to seek adventure. So we drove to Frederick, about 1/2 hour away. We ate lunch late at Family Meal, an affordable restaurant by a snazzy chef. We returned to our room at the Country Inn and Suites which is being renovated and smells like fresh plaster. We had a nice view of a blue shipping container. Dogs stay free. People have to pay, but not too much. We then walked to a near by TJ Max where DW was able to buy some stuff while Jake and I waited outside. Then we bought some girl scout cookies and headed to the theater. Frederick has lots of nice antique/ old stuff stores and a civil war medicine museum, but we didn't do that this time. Rosencrantz and Gilenstern was at the Weinberg Center, which is the old Tivoli movie theater. Why are lots of old movie theaters named the Tivoli? Rosencrantz et al is a rather long play dealing with death and Hamlet. I was reminded of our flight to Buenos Aires and just longed for three seats across where I could sleep comfortably, but I'm sure I'm not giving Tom Stoppard and his play the respect they deserve. After the play we ate at Applebees near our cheesy motel. Applebees serves salty but inexpensive food. After breakfast this morning, where I was able to make a tasty waffle on those little waffle machines (free wi-fi, free breakfast), we took Jake to see Cunningham State Park and a nice waterfall. There are hiking sticks at the start of the trail to the falls. The trail was slippery, but beautiful in the snow. Then we drove home.
Rosencrantz and Gildenstern are Dead in Frederick, Md.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Skiing New Mexico
- 2 Sacramento to State College, PA in late November
- 3 What do you think about Asian tourist manner?
- 4 Hotel in Newton outside Boston - need transportation and related advice
- 5 Sampling Ethnic Las Vegas II
- 6 Where to from Tampa?
- 7 Angels Crest and Rim of the World Scenic Drives: Mid-November 2014
- 8 Drive Dallas To New Orleans - Best Food Stops!!
- 9 Need ideas - hGirls' trip to Chicago
- 10 Did Interstates ruin travel in America?
- 11 Chicago O'Hare to Downtown
- 12 Three nights in Chicago -- a report
- 13 USA and Canada in 2 months
- 14 Trip Report to Pacific Northwest: August 2014
- 15 I am turning 60 and boy do I need help with my trip!
- 16 Relocation: Where Do We Fit In
- 17 What do you do when your VRBO rental is a nightmare in Lake Geneva?
- 18 Thinking about moving from PA to Florida (Dr. Phillips area of Orlando)
- 19 Saturday arrival Seattle airport to Lake Crescent
- 20 Grand Canyon , Zion and Bryce Itinerary suggestions
- 21 Drive from Grand Canyon to Prescott next week
- 22 Houston Weekend Planning Help Needed, please
- 23 Special Occasion/Fancy Dress shops in South Florida
- 24 Looking for a travel loop in Arizona (Las Vegas to Tucson & back)
- 25 Is the New York subway safe?