This report augments the relatively limited body of work available to travelers wanting to combine a play at the Weinberg Theater and a visit to Frederick, Md, staying at a cheesy motel (Country Inn and Suites) close to T.J.Max just off 270 but not too far from downtown Frederick. Yesterday DW and I decided to seek adventure. So we drove to Frederick, about 1/2 hour away. We ate lunch late at Family Meal, an affordable restaurant by a snazzy chef. We returned to our room at the Country Inn and Suites which is being renovated and smells like fresh plaster. We had a nice view of a blue shipping container. Dogs stay free. People have to pay, but not too much. We then walked to a near by TJ Max where DW was able to buy some stuff while Jake and I waited outside. Then we bought some girl scout cookies and headed to the theater. Frederick has lots of nice antique/ old stuff stores and a civil war medicine museum, but we didn't do that this time. Rosencrantz and Gilenstern was at the Weinberg Center, which is the old Tivoli movie theater. Why are lots of old movie theaters named the Tivoli? Rosencrantz et al is a rather long play dealing with death and Hamlet. I was reminded of our flight to Buenos Aires and just longed for three seats across where I could sleep comfortably, but I'm sure I'm not giving Tom Stoppard and his play the respect they deserve. After the play we ate at Applebees near our cheesy motel. Applebees serves salty but inexpensive food. After breakfast this morning, where I was able to make a tasty waffle on those little waffle machines (free wi-fi, free breakfast), we took Jake to see Cunningham State Park and a nice waterfall. There are hiking sticks at the start of the trail to the falls. The trail was slippery, but beautiful in the snow. Then we drove home.
Rosencrantz and Gildenstern are Dead in Frederick, Md.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 San Francisco - mid October
- 2 NYC Neighbourhoods
- 3 Vegas hotels for families
- 4 Washington DC and NYC - What to book ahead of time?
- 5 Lake Rabun Hotel
- 6 Where to go? Family looking for the perfect vacation spot.
- 7 what to do in the St. Louis area Oct.12 thru Oct19
- 8 4th thread on East Coast trip.
- 9 Another California/Utah/Arizona Road Trip...Itinerary Comments?
- 10 Atlanta to Denver Straight through
- 11 DC, New York, Maine in 11 days with kids?
- 12 Car needed in New Orleans?
- 13 Please advise: Mobile Natchez Nola or Mobile Nola Natchez Nola?
- 14 Bears and Traps. Our Grand Alaska Sea & Land Tour
- 15 New York itinerary for 5 or 6 days
- 16 Thanksgiving in St. Louis
- 17 Morgan Library. Been there? Places to eat nearby?
- 18 Best place to eat in Portland (Oregon) Airport?
- 19 Lunch at the Lakeside (Boathouse) restaurant in Central Park
- 20 Itinerary suggestions/advice for driving from SF to LA in 3d/2n
- 21 Navajo guide in Canyon de Chelly?
- 22 best of yellowstone
- 23 San Diego Lodging help needed
- 24 Road trip from Oakville to Vermont, Maine, Boston - too much in 7 days?
- 25 San Diego beaches using public transportation