This report augments the relatively limited body of work available to travelers wanting to combine a play at the Weinberg Theater and a visit to Frederick, Md, staying at a cheesy motel (Country Inn and Suites) close to T.J.Max just off 270 but not too far from downtown Frederick. Yesterday DW and I decided to seek adventure. So we drove to Frederick, about 1/2 hour away. We ate lunch late at Family Meal, an affordable restaurant by a snazzy chef. We returned to our room at the Country Inn and Suites which is being renovated and smells like fresh plaster. We had a nice view of a blue shipping container. Dogs stay free. People have to pay, but not too much. We then walked to a near by TJ Max where DW was able to buy some stuff while Jake and I waited outside. Then we bought some girl scout cookies and headed to the theater. Frederick has lots of nice antique/ old stuff stores and a civil war medicine museum, but we didn't do that this time. Rosencrantz and Gilenstern was at the Weinberg Center, which is the old Tivoli movie theater. Why are lots of old movie theaters named the Tivoli? Rosencrantz et al is a rather long play dealing with death and Hamlet. I was reminded of our flight to Buenos Aires and just longed for three seats across where I could sleep comfortably, but I'm sure I'm not giving Tom Stoppard and his play the respect they deserve. After the play we ate at Applebees near our cheesy motel. Applebees serves salty but inexpensive food. After breakfast this morning, where I was able to make a tasty waffle on those little waffle machines (free wi-fi, free breakfast), we took Jake to see Cunningham State Park and a nice waterfall. There are hiking sticks at the start of the trail to the falls. The trail was slippery, but beautiful in the snow. Then we drove home.
Rosencrantz and Gildenstern are Dead in Frederick, Md.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Help on choosing outdoorsy town to move to after college
- 2 A trip from Pensacola to Miami
- 3 Pizza Paradise In Pasadena
- 4 Planning to see chicago with a big family
- 5 TOWING SCAM IN WASHINGTON, DC
- 6 12-hour layover in Honolulu: What to do?
- 7 Would a Annual Park pass be worth it?
- 8 Las Vegas, GC, Page, Bryce, Zion - August with teens - advice welcome
- 9 Alaska Marine highway - worth the 2 day trip?
- 10 Boston to see Sargent works
- 11 Trip report, Part 4 - Monument Valley, Arches, Bryce, Vegas, Jan 2015
- 12 New York City - apartment locations
- 13 Utah 2
- 14 Southern states in March/April 2016
- 15 West Coast US trip from Sep to Oct 15 for 30days
- 16 Dinsey Wolrd - another "what resort" question
- 17 Tudor city -special help/info
- 18 Scottsdale, Sedona, Grand Canyon
- 19 Coffee shop or dinner recommendations for Fullerton/Anaheim area?
- 20 Xmas in Key West: Come on Vacation, Leave on Probation
- 21 Short New York City Weekend Trip report March 2015
- 22 Good restaurants near Griffith Observatory?
- 23 Notom-Burr or Rt 12 from Capitol Reef to Bryce
- 24 must see and do's in Maui?
- 25 3 or 4 days north of San Francisco with kids