This report augments the relatively limited body of work available to travelers wanting to combine a play at the Weinberg Theater and a visit to Frederick, Md, staying at a cheesy motel (Country Inn and Suites) close to T.J.Max just off 270 but not too far from downtown Frederick. Yesterday DW and I decided to seek adventure. So we drove to Frederick, about 1/2 hour away. We ate lunch late at Family Meal, an affordable restaurant by a snazzy chef. We returned to our room at the Country Inn and Suites which is being renovated and smells like fresh plaster. We had a nice view of a blue shipping container. Dogs stay free. People have to pay, but not too much. We then walked to a near by TJ Max where DW was able to buy some stuff while Jake and I waited outside. Then we bought some girl scout cookies and headed to the theater. Frederick has lots of nice antique/ old stuff stores and a civil war medicine museum, but we didn't do that this time. Rosencrantz and Gilenstern was at the Weinberg Center, which is the old Tivoli movie theater. Why are lots of old movie theaters named the Tivoli? Rosencrantz et al is a rather long play dealing with death and Hamlet. I was reminded of our flight to Buenos Aires and just longed for three seats across where I could sleep comfortably, but I'm sure I'm not giving Tom Stoppard and his play the respect they deserve. After the play we ate at Applebees near our cheesy motel. Applebees serves salty but inexpensive food. After breakfast this morning, where I was able to make a tasty waffle on those little waffle machines (free wi-fi, free breakfast), we took Jake to see Cunningham State Park and a nice waterfall. There are hiking sticks at the start of the trail to the falls. The trail was slippery, but beautiful in the snow. Then we drove home.
Rosencrantz and Gildenstern are Dead in Frederick, Md.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 San Diego/Los Angeles Trip with Teens
- 2 AirBnB is illegal in San Francisco,
- 3 traveling Amtrak cross country
- 4 Las Vegas to Los Angeles via Death Valley
- 5 Alaska cruise and land
- 6 Little Bighorn Battlefield & Yellowstone
- 7 Lunch with little girls UWS?
- 8 Grand Circle Itinerary Utah
- 9 Suggestions for road trip with children from Birmingham, AL to Grand Canyon
- 10 Sampling Ethnic Las Vegas trip report
- 11 NYC taxi vs car service
- 12 Best Glacier viewing (by boat) from Seward or Whittier
- 13 rain in Kauai
- 14 Hotel recommendation for San Francisco
- 15 Hotel in Santa Barbara
- 16 Antelope Canyon. Tour form Page or just show up there and pick a guide ?
- 17 Places to eat like a local in Los Angeles
- 18 WISCONSIN
- 19 Wedding in Hawaii
- 20 Charleston, SC Beaches
- 21 Christmas cruise in Hawaii
- 22 Shuttle Recommendations - Penn Station to JFK
- 23 Cabins less than one hour Rabun County Georgia in NC
- 24 Yellowstone and Grand Tetons Sept - Itinerary/Lodging Decisions
- 25 San Fransisco to LA