This report augments the relatively limited body of work available to travelers wanting to combine a play at the Weinberg Theater and a visit to Frederick, Md, staying at a cheesy motel (Country Inn and Suites) close to T.J.Max just off 270 but not too far from downtown Frederick. Yesterday DW and I decided to seek adventure. So we drove to Frederick, about 1/2 hour away. We ate lunch late at Family Meal, an affordable restaurant by a snazzy chef. We returned to our room at the Country Inn and Suites which is being renovated and smells like fresh plaster. We had a nice view of a blue shipping container. Dogs stay free. People have to pay, but not too much. We then walked to a near by TJ Max where DW was able to buy some stuff while Jake and I waited outside. Then we bought some girl scout cookies and headed to the theater. Frederick has lots of nice antique/ old stuff stores and a civil war medicine museum, but we didn't do that this time. Rosencrantz and Gilenstern was at the Weinberg Center, which is the old Tivoli movie theater. Why are lots of old movie theaters named the Tivoli? Rosencrantz et al is a rather long play dealing with death and Hamlet. I was reminded of our flight to Buenos Aires and just longed for three seats across where I could sleep comfortably, but I'm sure I'm not giving Tom Stoppard and his play the respect they deserve. After the play we ate at Applebees near our cheesy motel. Applebees serves salty but inexpensive food. After breakfast this morning, where I was able to make a tasty waffle on those little waffle machines (free wi-fi, free breakfast), we took Jake to see Cunningham State Park and a nice waterfall. There are hiking sticks at the start of the trail to the falls. The trail was slippery, but beautiful in the snow. Then we drove home.
Rosencrantz and Gildenstern are Dead in Frederick, Md.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Dad and daughter trip to Santa Fe
- 2 5 Days in San Antonio and Austin Texas
- 3 Tipping advice
- 4 USA New York City: First-time Visitors
- 5 3 weeks in USA in February -- refined itinerary
- 6 Transportation from Newark airport to Secaucus
- 7 Wilmington, NC to Raleigh - Anything interesting to see in between?
- 8 charleston during Christmas Week
- 9 Rules of the Sidewalk
- 10 Fort Myers Beach vs Naples Beach
- 11 Avis Car rental Loss Damage Waiver LDW Fraud
- 12 Advanced Reservations for USS Arizona Memorial Available Again
- 13 New Hawaii countdown for 2014-15
- 14 Queens, NY - Do not go
- 15 Tuscon to Las Vegas Drive in December
- 16 Hawaii Rental Cars - Book early
- 17 Boston, NYC or Chicago for 3rd weekend in March?
- 18 Maui - Need a Vegan-Friendly Restaurant Recommendation
- 19 Denver Airport to Downtown Sheraton--Transportation Options?
- 20 Seattle hotel recommendation needed
- 21 Charleston/Savannah/Asheville, 6 days enough?
- 22 Hotel - Caesars Palace OR Signature @ MGM
- 23 Key West Hotel in January
- 24 los angeles restaurants
- 25 West Maui Restaurants