My wife & I are planning to fly into Minneapolis/St. Paul from England in the late summer of 2010, rent a car and spend three weeks in the States. The main point of this trip will be to visit Mount Rushmore and spend a few days in that area.
Does anyone have suggestions for places that we might visit on the way there or back, please?
Our key criteria are that we shun interstates and try to do loops, avoiding covering the same route where possible. This will be our tenth visit to the USA and we are used to working out itineraries once we know what not to miss. We can get route details from the net, so what we need is to hear some enthusiastic advocacy of places to the north or south of the direct route.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Cape Cod
- 2 Whale Watching in Kauai
- 3 Room With Balcony and Ocean View: $250-$300
- 4 Driving from NY to Boston in February
- 5 camping in the Finger Lakes region
- 6 Uber and Miami
- 7 Grand Canyon Helicopter Ride
- 8 Safe travel route from Medford, Oregon to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- 9 Moving to DC ( Nova area) Please help me
- 10 Redwood National Forest
- 11 3/31-5/29 New Tracy Letts Play!
- 12 4 days in wine country. Where should we stay?
- 13 How many days to spend in San Francisco, LA & Las vegas?
- 14 Which hotel in Washington, D.C.?
- 15 Grand Circle Road Trip
- 16 4-5 day active vacation/road trip from NY/NJ
- 17 Biltmore Estate - Asheville, NC
- 18 Hyatt Regency Boston Harbor - how to get to the city?
- 19 Boston-Philadelphia: drive, fly, Amtrak?
- 20 Itinary for Maui - help please
- 21 Springfield, Illinois and no car. Worth a slight detour?
- 22 Driving from Chicago to Miami, first time.
- 23 Help formulate itinerary for Florida keys
- 24 College Tour: Harvard, MIT, and Yale
- 25 Antelope Canyon and Horseshoe Bend