My wife & I are planning to fly into Minneapolis/St. Paul from England in the late summer of 2010, rent a car and spend three weeks in the States. The main point of this trip will be to visit Mount Rushmore and spend a few days in that area.
Does anyone have suggestions for places that we might visit on the way there or back, please?
Our key criteria are that we shun interstates and try to do loops, avoiding covering the same route where possible. This will be our tenth visit to the USA and we are used to working out itineraries once we know what not to miss. We can get route details from the net, so what we need is to hear some enthusiastic advocacy of places to the north or south of the direct route.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Seattle to Portland- ideas for places to stay?
- 2 Looking for suggestions for Washington state weekend getaways
- 3 Miami Transportation Mid-Beach to South Beach
- 4 Our Badlands, Black Hills, Yellowstone Adventure, June 2015
- 5 6 days in Boston - review itinerary & other recs needed
- 6 Philadelphia to Sunset, SC via I81 and others
- 7 Florida Family vacation in California
- 8 Los Angeles 4 nghts/5days
- 9 Hilton Head restaurants
- 10 Santa Cruz downtown to San Jose Airport via public transit
- 11 50th in Hawaii
- 12 Las Vegas
- 13 The Big Island, Kauai, and Maui: A Songdoc Trip Report
- 14 Help finalize my Colorado activities & lodging
- 15 New York overnight - dinner & after choices
- 16 Driving from New York to Atlanta,Ga
- 17 Build a Chicago itinerary?
- 18 Broadway Banter revived, Spring 2015!
- 19 traveling to Nashville
- 20 NYC Vacation Packages - Two Thumbs Up!
- 21 Alaska Trip Report: Anchorage, Denali, Seward, Juneau & Glacier Bay
- 22 Transportation Newark/High Line and Penn Station/Newark
- 23 Driving route: Monument Valley to Moab on hot day
- 24 Cody, Wyoming rodeo
- 25 Best route to Cody?